The Education Forum

Photographic identification of Stella Jacob, Gloria Holt, and Sharon Simmons.

Tommy and I have decided to provide a simple framework for methodically identifying motorcade spectators who worked at the TSBD, and for documenting the evidence gathered and analyses made. Tommy and I will keep track of the identifications made, and will keep a copy of all the evidence posted -- on a dedicated cloud server -- just in case photos disappear from their source sites.

Ultimately, forum members (and the public) will be able to quickly locate all information gathered for any identified person.

I will use the first post of each thread to maintain an index of important posts. If a researcher, for example, compiles a list of information on a spectator, he or she can request by PM that I add that post to the index. (Another researcher can subsequently add onto and improve that post, and ask that the index be edited to point to the improved post.)

If a researcher wishes to do research on a new person, he or she should request by PM that I prepare a thread for that person. If a person is known to have stood in a group of spectators, the whole group should be lumped together on the same thread. (I can always add new people to an existing thread.)

Index

Edited by Sandy Larsen

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Preface to Thomas Graves' Presentation

Many assassination researchers have seen this witness identification photo:

temoins071.jpg

Some time ago the following cross-identification was made with the three rightmost ladies in the above photo:

misidentified_calvery_group_zpsudgok8bp.

It was soon realized that the woman marked as Gloria Calvery (misspelled in the photo) had been misidentified. Because her dark complected skin did not match that of the true Gloria Calvery, shown here:

gloria_jean_little_at_tire_shop_zps5rpsq

(Note that Gloria Little is her maiden name.)

This and other photos show that Gloria Calvery was light complected.

Not long ago Thomas Graves found a likely match for the dark complected woman, and also for the other two women with her. See Thomas's presentation in the following post.

Ignore the Following Photos

(temporary)
Edited by Sandy Larsen

The following was written by Thomas Graves:

A group of three TSBD employees (Stella Jacob, Gloria Holt, and Sharon Simmons), who all claimed in their FBI statements to have witnessed the assassination together, and from a point along the curb of Elm Street about 150 feet down from the Depository building, has never been identified or labeled by name on any of the 11/22/63 photographs or film frames.

I recently stumbled upon one particularly interesting member of this group, Stella Jacob, as I was combing through the FBI statements made in 1964 by about 100 TSBD employees.  When I read her statement, it kind of "jumped out" at me because in it she said that she had watched the motorcade with two other young ladies, and also because she described herself as being a Native American.  These two things reminded me of the mysteriously dark-skinned Gloria Calvery, and her two lighter-complected TSBD colleagues, Karan Hicks and Carol Reed, who had previously been identified in photos and films as standing about thirty feet up the sidewalk from the Stemmons Freeway sign next to the Grassy Knoll on the north side of Elm Street. Realizing that it's reasonable to assume that Stella Jacob, being a self-described "Indian female," was dark-complected, I started wondering if she might be the mysteriously-dark-skinned-and-possibly-misidentified "Gloria Calvary."

unidentified_dark_skinned_woman_zpsmalaw 

Stella and two of her TSBD colleagues, Gloria Jeanne Holt and Sharon Simmons, said in their FBI statements that they watched the motorcade together, and while watching it stood at the curb on the south side of Elm Street, about 50 yards (150 feet) down the street from the TSBD.  I now believe an honest mistake was made, and that their FBI statements should have said that they were on the north side of Elm Street, instead.

I base this not only on the fact that Stella Jacob must have been dark-skinned, but also because one of her sidekicks that day. Gloria Jeanne Holt, bears a striking resemblance to the person previously identified as "Karan Hicks." 

Below are two high school photos of Gloria Jeanne Holt.  (Credit: Stan Dane at the Reopen Kennedy Case website)

gloria_jeanne_holt_yearbook_zps5ubmznl2.

Compare Gloria Jeanne Holt with the crying, blond "Karan Hicks," below.

Above:  Jacob, Holt, Simmons  (Credit: Darnell)

Stella Jacob's FBI statement:

"I, Stella Mae Jacob, freely furnish the following voluntary statement to Eugene F. Petrakis and A. Raymond Switzer, who have identified themselves to me as Special Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.  I am an Indian female and reside at 508 South Marsalis, Dallas, Texas.  I was born on May 31, 1943 in Wright City, Oklahoma, and have been employed at the Texas School Book Depository, 411 Elm, Dallas, Texas, as typist in the billing department since the 1st of July, 1963.  At approximately 12 :00 p .m . on November 22, 1963. I left the Depository building  and walked down toward the Stemmons expressway underpass west of the building approximately fifty yards and took up a position on the curb on the south (sic) side of Elm Street to await the presidential procession . I was accompanied by Sharon Simmons, now Mrs. Nelson, and [Gloria] Jeanne Holt, both employees of the Texas School Book Depository. I was still standing on the curb at the time president John F . Kennedy was shot I do not recall seeing lee Harvey Oswald at any time on November 22, 1963, and did not see him at the time of the  assassination.  I did not observe any strangers in the building on the morning of November 22, 1963. Following the assassination of the president, I tried to return to work in the Texas School Book Depository, but was told by other employees that no one would be allowed in the building so I did not return to work that day. I did not personally know Lee Harvey Oswald althought I recall seeing him on several occasions in the lunchroom. I have read this two page statement, initialed each page and each correction and find it true and correct to the best of my knowledge." /s/ Stella Mae Jacob     

https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1381.pdf

The Bottom Line:  I believe "Gloria CalvAry," "Karan Hicks," and "Carol Reed" in this Z-Frame should be re-labeled Stella Jacob, Gloria Jeanne Holt, and Sharon Simmons, respectively.

temoins071.jpg

--  Tommy  :sun 

Edited by Sandy Larsen

6 hours ago, Robin Unger said:

Thomas

you have a bad habit of bumping threads to resurrect them from the dead.

threads drop of the board due to lack of interest, you should let sleeping dogs lie.

Thanks for bumping it for me, Robin.

--  Tommy :sun

9 hours ago, Robin Unger said:

Are you saying that Gloria Jeanne Holt was working at the TSBD in 1963

when this 1963 year book shows that she was in school in 1963 ?

Robin,

In the United States of America, high school students tend to graduate in June, iirc.  (lol - Yes, it was a long, long time ago for me.)

So, Gloria Jeanne Holt graduated in June of 1963 and was working at the TSBD five months later when JFK was assassinated before her eyes -- on November 22, 1963, I believe.

That work for you?

Oh, and in her statement to the FBI she did say that she was born in 1945, and that she had started working at the TSBD in July, 1963.

[click on this link, press "ctrl" + "F", type the word holt in the little drop-down thingy in the upper right hand corner if you want to find her statement quickly.  Otherwise, do it the old-fashioned way, and you'll find it on page "43"] https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1381.pdf

Edited by Thomas Graves

2 hours ago, Thomas Graves said:

"Are you saying that Gloria Jeanne Holt was working at the TSBD in 1963

when this 1963 year book shows that she was in school in 1963 ?" --  Robin Unger

Robin,

Here in the United States of America, high school students tend to graduate in June, iirc.  (lol - Yes, it was a long, long time ago for me.)

So, Gloria Jeanne Holt graduated in June of 1963 and was working at the TSBD five months later when JFK was assassinated before her eyes -- on November 22, 1963, I believe.

That work for you?

Oh, and in her statement to the FBI she did say that she was born in 1945, and that she had started working at the TSBD in July, 1963.

[click on this link, press "ctrl" + "F", type the word holt in the little drop-down thingy in the upper right hand corner if you want to find her statement quickly.  Otherwise, do it the old-fashioned way, and you'll find it on page "43"] https://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk/wc/wcvols/wh22/pdf/WH22_CE_1381.pdf

Edited by Thomas Graves

5 minutes ago, Thomas Graves said:

It should be noted that Gloria Holt's full name is given as Gloria Jeanne Holt in her affidavit. Leaving very little (~zero) doubt that the girl we see here is the right Gloria Holt.

3 hours ago, Thomas Graves said:

Robin,

In the United States of America, high school students tend to graduate in June, iirc.  (lol - Yes, it was a long, long time ago for me.)

That work for you?

Thanks.

Holt2.jpg

Stella Mae Jacob

Publication:  The Paris News
Issue Date: Sunday, May 14, 1961
Page: Page 15

HONEY GROVE—Almost exactly half of Honey Grove High made grade averages of 90 or above. David Carlock, with 9S.25, is the valedictorian; Anita Loschke, 97.75, is salutatorian, and Kenneth Rovvton, third high student with 96, the honor roll including 21 others. The two top honor students and other seniors will present the graduation program, Thursday, May 25, at 8:15 p.m. in the high school auditorium, says Principal James E. Fuller. Speaker for the baccalaureate service Sunday, May 21 at 11 a.m. will be the Rev. Ed Gorom of First Christian Church. The class includes Peggy Jo Allen, Anita Bell, Lynelte Bloodworth, Larry Joe Carder, David Carlock, Peggy Ruth Chappell, Judy Collard, Shirley Jo Crouch, Sammy Dobbs, Jerry Davis, Kathleen Daughterly; John Paul Dillow, Gerald Dyer, V'icki Eaton, Freddy Ellis, Carolyn Louise Felts, Charles Felts, Frank Gray, Lyndel Hawkins, John Thomas Hawley, Ralph HuHer, Stella Mae Jacob, Julia Jones; Myra Joyce, James Kilpatri c k, Anita Loschke, Billy Maroney, Melissa Martin, Jack Meade, Mary Anne Miller, Jill McCraw, Nancy Ohr, Richard O'Connor, Saundra Faye Page, Sandra Kay Page; Katie Piland, Kenneth Poeck, Louis P. Rhodes, Jr., Clayton Riddlesperger, Jerry Rhodes, Khent Rowton, Lillie Ann Shannon, ....

0_0_3460_4697.jpg

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/6326586/