The Education Forum

Phone lines, Crafard, and Senator at the Carousel

****edit.... I changed the thread title from "Telecommunications and the Assassination"

Telecommunications were necessarily a part of the Dallas coup de ta.

Jack Ruby's Carousell Lounge occupied the lot that is now the HQ of the major carrier of that region.

i am looking to research the history of that "lot", here, in this thread. 

Larry Crafard, a Carousel employee, according to his WC testimony, spent more than 4 hours talking to a girl who had called the Carousel Lounge, on the  night of November 22, inquiring about a job. According to his testimony, she was leaving Dallas, on a bus, first thing in the morning, for (as they say), parts unknown. Why would she be calling about a job at 11PM on 11-22-63?

Is the current telecom building a central telco interchange? Was the Carousel Lounge, back in '63, a hub; a jumble of telco lines?

**** edit.  a related thread .....

Edited by Michael Clark

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Copper wires would support connections from Dealy Plaza, through the Carouse Lounge, out-to, say, The Southland Center; but, a line to DC, Chicago or New Orleans would have to go through a Central Office Switched Circuit. I am thinking that that was a call for which Larry Crafards call was a cover.

(that's a poorly constructed sentence, I will work to fix it)

Edited by Michael Clark

Michael - interesting idea. But I think the COG (Continuity of Government) installation underground in Dallas is the more likely hub.

11 minutes ago, Paul Brancato said:

Michael - interesting idea. But I think the COG (Continuity of Government) installation underground in Dallas is the more likely hub.

Out at the fair grounds?

Copper phone lines have limits. Copper is a semi-precious metal. Phone hubs (Central Offices) are designed to reduce the lengths of copper phone lines.

Edited by Michael Clark

Michael, take a look through the back Forum threads for discussion about a telephone gambling wire service (horses, maybe boxing or sports) figuring into Dallas and the assassination characters.  I remember that I posted on that thread, if it will help you search it.

Edited by David Andrews

13 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

Out at the fair grounds?

Copper phone lines have limits. Copper is a semi-precious metal. Phone hubs (Central Offices) are designed to reduce the lengths of copper phone lines.

These days the use of copper is limited to "the last mile," whereas optical fiber (glass "wire") is used for longer distances.

But fiber optic cables weren't widely used in telecommunications till the late 1980s. Before then I believe that copper wire was the only technology used in the industry to transport the signal.

On 5/1/2017 at 0:51 AM, David Andrews said:

Michael, take a look through the back Forum threads for discussion about a telephone gambling wire service (horses, maybe boxing or sports) figuring into Dallas and the assassination characters.  I remember that I posted on that thread, if it will help you search it.

David, I see that you are on-line so I though I would ask... I have searched for the thread that you mentioned with no luck. Do you have any more info or clues to go on, so I might locate it.

Cheers,

Michael

On 4/30/2017 at 10:48 PM, Michael Clark said:

The Carousel was as-central-as-central-gets to downtown Dallas.

Wasn't it next door to or close to the Adolphus Hotel? I remember reading years ago that someone (I forget who) claimed that the assassination command post was in the Adolphus Hotel. FWIW.

Edited by Ron Ecker

Ron,

The Carousel, as best I can place it, was across the street and at the corner, the East end of the block, on the corner of Field St.  I have mapped to 2 different locations using the same 1312 1/2 Commerce st. address. The Adolphus is at the corner of Akard. The current AT&T building is across from the Adolphus and on the other side of Akard. Back in 63, the Telco Central Office could have been on the same site as the current AT&T building or nearby. In 63, the legacy cable system could have been a mess, accessible, and could have easily been manipulated by paying off a phone-guy or using a crook with some phone skills. 

That 4 hour call (actually 2 calls) could have easily, with a couple of simple connections, could have linked several locations, including an Adolphus line (HL Hunt, the fair grounds etc.) to the outside world, and It would have looked like a single call from the Carousel. I did not see, In the Warren Report, where they identified the originating end of that call.

Edited by Michael Clark

5 hours ago, Michael Clark said:

David, I see that you are on-line so I though I would ask... I have searched for the thread that you mentioned with no luck. Do you have any more info or clues to go on, so I might locate it.

Cheers,

Michael

Keywords: Dallas, gambling, betting wire, bookie, Jack Ruby, Carousel, Ocean Drive, Edmond O'Brien?

My sole contribution to the thread was to mention a movie on DVD that I coincidentally saw that weekend, 711 Ocean Drive (1950) with Edmond O'Brien, in which the star built up the Mob's telephone bookie wire to new heights of moneymaking.  I brought it up because there was some question on the thread as to whether illicit telephone lines were ever used to transmit betting info - and here was an example in 1950s pop culture.  Early posters on the thread were suggesting that the Dallas bookie line was used to transmit assassination communications.  Here's a description of the film, at least:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042176/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_101

Edited by David Andrews

On 4/30/2017 at 8:39 PM, Michael Clark said:

Telecommunications were necessarily a part of the Dallas coup de ta.

Jack Ruby's Carousell Lounge occupied the lot that is now the HQ of the major carrier of that region.

i am looking to research the history of that "lot", here, in this thread. 

Michael,

I think the 1/2 part of 1312 1/2 Commerce meant that it was upstairs. The WC is full of stories about Ruby throwing people down the stairs.

You might be interested in these photos:

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/408701734911782916/

https://www.pinterest.com/perry_vermeulen/carousel-club/

It looks like the downstairs, or ground floor was a barbeque joint; the Real Pit Bar-B-Q

Steve Thomas