The Education Forum

Uncovering the alleged LGBT connection in the JFK assassination

Among the many comments made on Facebook about this article:

Joan Mellen: Well, evidence that Shaw was "Employed" by CIA is strong, as is the evidence that the Agency attempted to manipulate the Garrison case. Evidence that Shaw perjured himself is also strong. Evidence that Garrison used Shaw's sexual orientation against him is non-existent. Regarding Oswald's "intelligence training," Garrison was proven to be correct without having access to the documents that we have.

Mark Hunter: They were all Gay Oswald,Ruby,ferrie,Hoover,Tolson,Most of the Cubans Eladio D, Most all of them!! That's Old News

[Daily Beast article posted for informational purposes only)

From the article: It would take a separate article (or even book) to explain why Garrison ordered Clay Shaw’s arrest in the first place (and some very good ones have been written, including Patricia Lambert’s False Witness). Suffice it to say that at the time of the arrest and until later in March, Garrison’s theory of the case was that JFK’s assassination was actually a “homosexual thrill-killing.” The president had been murdered in broad daylight because he was everything the conspirators were not: “a successful, handsome, popular, wealthy, virile man.” Under this scenario, Shaw, who was gay but closeted, also went by the name of Clay Bertrand, a mysterious person linked to the assassination. “Bertrand” had supposedly tried to arrange a defense counsel for Lee Harvey Oswald during the weekend following his capture on Friday, Nov. 22, 1963. The Warren Commission and FBI thoroughly investigated the “Bertrand” allegation in 1964, and had concluded (correctly) that it was a fabrication concocted by a publicity-seeking New Orleans attorney named Dean Andrews. “Bertrand” was not even a real person.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/was-russia-behind-cia-killed-jfk

Then there is this:

http://jfkfacts.org/daily-beast-gets-played-silly-jfk-theory/#more-25163

Edited by Douglas Caddy

That claim I don't accept.

The homosexual aspect of the key men: Ferrie, Clay, Ruby, Lee, Banister? and not sure which Cubans was IMO simply a vein running thru the situation.

The stigma of homosexuality was on par with being a communist in those days...  but if you were a homo fighting commies, you were given a pass in most cases.

I get the impression that many of the strip clubs of the day were to cover for the homosexual relationships cultivated in the male dominated crime and anti-crime careers.

I'd venture to say that well more men were gay at the time than we could ever know....

David:

The issue of homosexuality affected not only the JFK assassination but Watergate also. Pardon me for injecting a personal story here. Below is the sworn affidavit signed by longtime FBI informant Robert Merritt in 2009 in which he described being approached by Washington, D.C. Detective Carl Shoffler and others to murder me soon after the Watergate case broke in 1972. Shoffer was a military intelligence officer assigned to the Metropolitan Washington, D.C. Police Department to monitor radical left and anti-Vietnam War activities. He was the officer that arrested the burglars at Watergate, having obtained advanced knowledge of the planned break-in. The affidavit tells only part of the story of what I was subjected to during the Watergate case because I was a closet homosexual who was blissfully unaware at the time that my sexual preference was known to the authorities.

AFFADAVIT

1972 CONSPIRACY TO ASSASSINATE DOUGLAS CADDY,

Original Attorney for the Watergate Seven

I, Robert Merritt, attest to the following facts regarding my involvement with the Watergate attorney Douglas Caddy, who represented the burglars known as the Watergate Seven.  On Saturday, June 17, 1972, five burglars broke into the Democratic National Committee offices in Watergate and were arrested at 2:30 A. M. by Washington, D.C. Police Officer Carl Shoffler. At the time the Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Department employed me as a Confidential Informant and assigned me to work directly with Officer Shoffler. Two weeks before the arrests at Watergate I provided information to Shoffler about the planned break-in of the DNC that I had obtained as a Confidential Informant from a highly unusual source. By using this advance information, Shoffler developed a successful triangulation strategy that in effect set the burglars up in a form of entrapment.  The Watergate scandal thus began and ultimately forced the resignation of President Nixon.

Shoffler came to my apartment in Washington, D.C. late in the morning of the day of the events at Watergate and exulted in having made the arrests.  He told me that he had secretly telephoned the Washington Post soon after the arrests to tip the newspaper off to what had occurred.  He then demanded his special birthday present from me, which I was only too happy to perform.

(First meeting) Three days later, on June 20, 1972, Shoffler showed up at my apartment with his supervisor, Police Sgt. Paul Leeper. They asked me if I knew someone by the name of Douglas Caddy, who lived at the Georgetown House, a high-rise apartment, at 2121 P St., N. W., which was directly across the street from my apartment.  They told me Douglas Caddy was an attorney who was representing the Watergate burglars and that Douglas Caddy was a communist and pro-Cuban and was a leader of the Young Americans for Freedom. 

They wanted me to establish a sexual relationship with Douglas Caddy to find out how Douglas Caddy knew to show up for the arraignment of the burglars after their arrest.  They asserted that Douglas Caddy had to be in on the conspiracy with the burglars and that in the past he had been shadowed when he frequented a leather-Levi gay bar in Greenwich Village in Manhattan.       

Shoffler and Leeper related that Douglas Caddy had been working as a White House attorney in a sensitive position. They claimed that I was butch enough to entice Douglas Caddy, a masculine gay guy, into a sexual affair to obtain the information they wanted.  They told me that this was the most important thing that I could do for my country and that I would be well-paid if I undertook the assignment.  Their initial offer was $10,000.

I asked Shoffler about who it was that so desperately wanted this information from Douglas Caddy and he said that it was from very high up sources in the Department of Justice and the U. S. Attorney’s office.

I did not commit to doing the assignment.

Two days later, on June 22, 1972, which was my birthday, Shoffler came to my apartment to give me my birthday present.  He spent the entire day with me.  Afterwards, when we were relaxing in bed, he gently tried to persuade me to cooperate with him and Leeper regarding the Douglas Caddy assignment.  I emphatically told him “No.”  I didn’t know Douglas Caddy and I didn’t know how to get to know him and I was bothered that undertaking the assignment could lead to the destruction of another gay person who apparently was still in the closet and merely attempting to represent his clients.

We talked about the break-in and Shoffler told me straight out that the burglars were hired indirectly by one of the 100 families of America, which Shoffler named as the Kennedy Family.

Shoffler said, “The intention of the Watergate break-in was to destroy the Nixon presidency. President Nixon was guilty of nothing in its planning.”

Shoffler said that there were hidden motivations involved, such as the fear of law enforcement agencies that their turf would be reduced by President Nixon through a

scheme known as the Houston Plan, the CIA’s concern that President Nixon planned to reorganize the intelligence agencies and their operations, and the Defense Department’s opposition to President Nixon’s new China policy.

I asked Shoffler if he was angry at me for refusing to take the Caddy assignment and he smiled at me and said he was glad that I didn’t.

(Third meeting)  In the March 1973, nine months after the initial overture and a month after the first Watergate trial ended, I met with Shoffler and Leeper, FBI agents Terry O’Connor and Bill Tucker and their FBI Agent-In-Charge, whose name escapes me.  Leeper did most of the talking. He again tried to persuade me to take on the Douglas Caddy assignment, making an initial offer of $25,000. I refused outright.  The group then said that I could be paid as much as $100,000 if I took the assignment but I still refused without providing any explanation.  Once it was understood that I would not accept the offer, Leeper declared that the least I could do was to spread the rumor around Washington, D. C. that Douglas Caddy was gay in an effort to force him to come out of the closet.  Their intention was to defame Douglas Caddy. This was the last attempt to persuade me to take the Douglas Caddy assignment.  The group departed angrily, with the exception Shoffler, who secretly winked at me as he went out the door.

DISCLOSURE OF SECOND MEETING

On June 17, 2009, 37 years after Watergate, I notified Douglas Caddy, now an attorney in Houston, Texas, of a well kept secret and informed him of a new Watergate revelation. (Previously I had disclosed to Douglas Caddy that there had been two meetings regarding the Caddy assignment as discussed above.)

I then informed Douglas Caddy that there had been a second meeting about the Caddy assignment. It took place on June 28, 1972, with Shoffler and four others agents who were never introduced to me.  I am quite certain that these agents were from either Military Intelligence or the CIA.  I know that they were not FBI agents from their manner and the special type of assignment they asked me to do regarding Douglas Caddy.

Shoffler and these agents met with me in my apartment at 2122 P Street, N.W. Douglas Caddy did in fact live across the street from me in the Georgetown House at 2121 P St., N.W.

One of the agents, whom I will never forget, had two plastic bags, one containing two small blue pills and another that had a laboratory test tube with a small gelatin substance that was approximately ¼ inch in diameter.  He referred to it as a suppository. 

The assignment was to become intimately acquainted with Douglas Caddy as quickly as possible.

The exact description of the assignment was to engage in oral sex with Douglas Caddy and in doing so I was suppose to fondle his balls and ass, and at the same time insert the small gelatin like suppository into his rectum, which would have caused death within minutes. 

If there were any delay in the lethal process that would prevent me from leaving fast from his presence, then I was to take the small blue pills, which would have caused me nausea, providing me with an excuse to leave for home immediately.

The agents told me that Douglas Caddy had to be eliminated without fail.

My first reaction was that they were “nuts.” But then Shoffler pulled me aside and whispered that this was a very real and serious situation and the decision was entirely up to me. 

The agents were planning a pre-arrange way for me to meet Douglas Caddy, which they did not disclose at the time.

I asked the agents what the reason was that they wanted for me to go to this length and why they and the government were taking such a risk.  I was told that this matter involved a high national security situation that they were not at liberty to disclose.  The agents stated that their orders did not allow them to know the answers and that they were only following orders from their superiors who sometimes did not know the answers either and merely implemented instructions from those above. However, from the agents’ comments I inferred that because Douglas Caddy was gay, that was reason enough.

The agents informed me that I would be well taken care of for this assignment.  They also said that I would never have to worry about anything for the rest of my life.

I was totally repulsed by the entire assignment and proposition. After I emphatically refused, the agents swore me to secrecy and left.

Only in July of 1986 when I was subpoenaed by Shoffler to testify before the grand jury in the Lenny Bias case in Upper Marlboro, Maryland did he ever discuss this subject again. At that time he said, “Butch, I am glad that you did not go through with that Douglas Caddy assignment because I found out that those two little blue pills would have caused your instant death.”

I regret that I never disclosed these facts until now. I suppressed this information out of fear for my life.

Some of the background information in this affidavit about my relationship with Shoffler as a Confidential Informant was disclosed by Jim Hougan in his 1984 best-selling book, Secret Agenda: Watergate, Deep Throat and the CIA (see pages 320-323). Some was also disclosed in the Watergate Special Prosecution Force Memorandums of

its two interviews of me and one of Officer Carl Shoffler in 1973.

This sworn statement is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, so help me God.

I, Robert Merritt, swear in this affidavit that the facts are true to the best of my knowledge under the penalty of perjury.

Robert Merritt

Subscribed and sworn to before me on the 28th of July, 2009, to certify which witness my hand and seal of office.

Notary Public in and for the State of New York    

Ricardo S. Castro

Notary Public, State of New York

No. 01CA5041272

Qualified in Bronx County

Comm. Exp. 08/29/09

7/29/09

Although Merritt is not publicly recognized as a major figure in Watergate, he was

well known to the Watergate Special Prosecutor. He was interviewed six times by the

Watergate Special Prosecution Force, the last interview being on the day before the

infamous Saturday Night Massacre in which the FBI stormed the office of the Special

Prosecutor and seized dozens of boxes of documents. Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox

was present at this final interview of Merritt. The next day Cox was fired. No written

memorandum of the final key interview could be located in the National Archives,

although memoranda of five of the prior Merritt interviews were stored there. Among

these is the memorandum of July 24, 1973 to Terry Lenzer from Jim Moore, the opening

sentence of which reads: “Lee Sheehy and I met on 7/20/73 with Mr. Merritt and his

lawyer, David Isbell, at Mr. Isbell’s office, 888 16th Street, N.W. (Covington &

Burling).”

Moore’s memorandum on page 3 states:

“On July 13, 19712 Merritt’s one association with the Watergate affair began.

Detective Schaffler and Sergeant Leeper of the DC police visited Merritt and asked him

to find out all he could about Douglas Caddy, who was representing some of the

Watergate defendants. Caddy lived at 2121 P Street, NW, across the street from Merritt’s

residence at that time. Merritt did not know Caddy. Schaffler and Leeper told Merritt that

Caddy was homosexual and pro-Cuban. In response to Merritt’s questions, Schaffler and

Leper said this assignment did not come from the police intelligence or the FBI or the

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms Division or the CIA. They further denied the assignment

involved the Justice Department in any way. They would not tell Merritt who had

authorized their request, but Schaffler laughingly said that it could possibly come from

sources higher than the Justice Department. They told Merritt that it could be his biggest

job and that it was one of the best things he could do for his country. Merritt refused to

carry out the assignment. He says that he was periodically asked during 1972 to find out

about Caddy, these requests coming from Schaffler or Leper. As recently as February 22

or 23, 1973 Schaffler asked him if he knew anything about Caddy or could find out

anything about him. According to Merritt (I will check the transcript on this), on May 16

or 17, 1973 Leper testified before the Senate Watergate Committee that there was no

police involvement in Watergate in any way after the apprehension of the burglars on the

night of the break-in. Merritt says that Leper was personally involved in the effort to

enlist him, Merritt, in the investigation of Caddy. Consequently, Leper committed perjury

before the Committee. Isbell and Merritt are interested in pursuing possible perjury

committed by Leper and in pursuing the more general question of possible DC police

involvement in post-break-in investigations and activities.”

Of special significance is the Watergate Special Prosecution Force memorandum of

December 20, 1973 prepared by staff attorney Frank Martin regarding an interview of

Carl Shoffler. The first sentence of the documents states, “Sgt. Schoffler of the

Metropolitan Police Department was interviewed on December 3, 1973, by Horwitz,

Akerman and Martin.”

The document further discloses, “Schoffler was questioned concerning the incident

involving [redacted]. Schoffler stated that at some time after the Watergate arrests,

Shoffler and Leper were in their car and met Merritt near his residence at 2121 P Street.

Schoffler stated that he had first seen [redacted] the day after the Watergate arrests when

[redacted] came to represent the Cubans. When Schoffler and Leper met Merritt, Merritt

stated that he might know [redacted] and Merritt had an article from the newspaper with a

picture of [redacted] in it. Schoffler told Merritt to let him know if Merritt found out who

[redacted] was and if he was ‘funny’, i.e., homosexual. Schoffler stated that this was an

off-hand comment and he never expected Merritt to do anything, and Merritt never told

Schoffler anything about Caddy.

“Schoffler stated that in the summer of 1973, after he had testified in the Watergate

hearings, Schoffler met Merritt. Merritt stated that he had made all sorts of calls to

Senators concerning Watergate and the Caddy incident with Schoffler. Schoffler stated

that he told Merritt that if he, Merritt, reported a crime then that was one thing, but that if

he reported something that was only in his head it was going to come back on him.

Schoffler said that he did not in any way threaten Merritt.”

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/corrupt-intent-up-the-wazoo-ex-watergate-prosecutor-says-comey-has-planted-seeds-of-trumps-downfall/

Watergate Assistant Prosecutor Nick Akerman, who investigated the vicious abuse that I suffered as a gay in that case, has resurfaced in Trumpgate. As noted in the  Watergate Special Prosecutor Memorandum directly above:

Of special significance is the Watergate Special Prosecution Force memorandum of

December 20, 1973 prepared by staff attorney Frank Martin regarding an interview of

Carl Shoffler. The first sentence of the documents states, “Sgt. Schoffler of the

Metropolitan Police Department was interviewed on December 3, 1973, by Horwitz,

Akerman and Martin.”

Edited by Douglas Caddy

Thanks for sharing that Doug....

A question...  The DPD surely knew about Clay, Ferrie, Ruby and Oswald.  Do you believe the gay aspect helped protect them from within the DPD?

I mean, if the DPD, Bill Alexander et al started to disclose this side of things, of even hinted at them - do you think there was something in place to counter or emphasize this?

Thanks again,

DJ

David: I know very little about the role of the Dallas Police Department in the Kennedy Assassination. There are members of the forum who know a great deal about this and likely could answer your question in great detail. My general impression is that in1963 a number of Dallas Police Officers were members of or affiliated with or sympathetic to the KKK and as such would not hesitate to destroy the life or livelihood of a gay person once that person was so identified.  Stonewall did not take place until 1969 in New York city. It took many years for the Stonewall Revolution to affect the world in which Dallas was situated.

Edited by Douglas Caddy

What I find thought provoking about the gay angle in the JFK case is that Gen Edwin Walker was also gay.  So what are the chances that he didn't know the others and interact with them ( Clay, Ferrie, Ruby and Oswald)??.... given the closeted times in Dallas and NOLA in the  early '60s.  And what about Oswald's Undesirable Discharge, which was the kind discharge gays got in the military in the 50's, 60's, etc  when they were outed.  Maybe Oswald tipped his hand while he was in Russia, resulting in his tainted discharge, because it makes no sense to me that the Marines would do this for their stated reason( Oswald missed his Marine Reserve meetings).  Oswald was in Russia working for an ONI fake defector intelligence program.  And maybe Oswald's rush to marry (Ellen German then Marina) was his way of making amends with his Intel and military superiors.

From Wiki:

(Edwin) Walker, then 66, was arrested on June 23, 1976, for public lewdness in a restroom at a Dallas park. He was accused of fondling and propositioning a male undercover police officer.[44][45][46] He was arrested again in Dallas for public lewdness on March 16, 1977.[47][48] He pleaded no contest to one of the two misdemeanor charges, was given a suspended and a 30-day jail sentence and fined $1,000

One of the fascinating things about studying the JFK assassination case and exploring leads, is learning about the various subcultures that run through it.

The subcultures hav their own circle of friends, their own vernacular, etc.

One of the leads that I tried exploring many years ago was the idea that if Jack Ruby was involved in running prostitutes across the south in a prostitution ring (Dallas, New Orleans, Miami, etc.), and if he was running his mouth, the prostitutes he was spending his time with would be the people who would probably be in the know. 

There's Rose Cheramie and a story involving Pixie Lynn (Helen Kay Smith). Both prostitutes, both intimating that Oswald and Ruby knew each other in a homosexual relationship. (I still think Little Lynn knew more that she let on too).

I explored the Pixie Lynn story for a while, but it didn't go anywhere that I could find. It ended in a dead end.

For some examples see:

https://books.google.com/books?id=YA4CBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT383&lpg=PT383&dq="Pixie+Lynn"+Ruby&source=bl&ots=A6N7cg4iU9&sig=jBpyJjZoRzexYZ-sPJQUbQ0DW8w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjx1uyqkLTUAhXB1CYKHRO2ARYQ6AEISDAH#v=onepage&q="Pixie Lynn" Ruby&f=false

CE 2794
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1142&relPageId=219

CE 2795
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=1142#relPageId=220&tab=page

CD 372 p. 37
https://www.maryferrell.org/showDoc.html?docId=10774#relPageId=37&tab=page

26H pp. 184-185

Steve Thomas

On 6/5/2017 at 5:59 PM, Douglas Caddy said:

AFFADAVIT

1972 CONSPIRACY TO ASSASSINATE DOUGLAS CADDY,

Original Attorney for the Watergate Seven

I, Robert Merritt, attest to the following facts regarding my involvement with the Watergate attorney....

Douglas,

That's a fascinating story. Did Merritt write the affidavit for your benefit? For historical purposes?

Who has the affidavit now? Do you have a copy?

Sandy:

Yes, I have a signed copy of the affidavit. Merritt prepared the affidavit as part of his revelations in the book, "Watergate Exposed," which Trineday published in 2010.

When Merritt started working on his book he contacted me. I advised him to file a query with the U.S. National Archives to ascertain what might be in its files. The Archives staff could not have been more friendly and cooperative and as a result a number of documents were forthcoming, some of which are reproduced in part above.

Washington, D.C. Metropolitan Police Detective Carl Shoffler, who was a military intelligence agent assigned to the police, was married and had two children. He was also a self-hating secret gay and he and Merritt for several years had an intense sexual relationship that ended only when Watergate broke because Shoffler feared the media would find out about it. Shoffler was vicious in many ways. For example, when he believed someone once had cut him off in traffic, he got the license plate number and used it to ascertain the vehicle's owner. He then orchestrated a campaign that destroyed that individual.

Shoffler's hatred of me stemmed in part from his outrage that I, a closeted gay, was the original attorney for the five arrested burglars and for Hunt and Liddy. Merritt advised me that there was fear that because Howard Hunt and I had a close personal relationship, he might have told me something about the JFK assassination and other matters that were still closely held secrets. In short I might have been killed because there was no way of ascertaining what I knew and what I did not know.

As far as I can determine the only reason I was not killed was that on June 28, 1972, eleven days after the case broke, I was served a subpoena to appear before the Federal Grand Jury that was investigating what became known as Watergate. News about me dominated the Washington Post for the first month. In short I became too "hot" to be offed. Shoffler also told Merritt that I would be destroyed as the case went forward. The original prosecutors, Judge Sirica and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia colluded to achieve this goal. But ultimately, when the cover-up broke in March 1973, and the truth become known, I was vindicated and survived.

Had I been killed early on in the case my mysterious death would have led to the controversy much akin to that of the mystery why Seth Rich was killed in 2016.

Watergate would have had a different outcome had not I been targeted for being gay in the first month of the case. As Howard Hunt later wrote in his autobiography when he saw what was being done to me as the defendants' attorney, he concluded he and the other defendants would never receive a fair trial. Hence, the coverup using "hush" money was instituted.

Edited by Douglas Caddy