The Education Forum

Stocks After the Assassination

On 11/29/2012 at 0:02 AM, Alan Kent said:

Dallas Uranium and Oil was a company that appeared to do little. It was a product of the efforts of three men, one of whom (Morty Freedman) ran one of the many textile businesses that resided in the Dal-Tex in '63. It is the only non-textile business listed in the directory of the Dal-Tex at the time.

It probably means something - though God knows what - that J. Edgar Hoover apparently owned ONE lone share of stock in this dubious company.

I would love to know the history of that single share of stock in DUO.

Michael, you should be following my blog...  I've researched both the DalTex and Duo in great detail over the years and like many things from the earlier  years its not at all as mysterious as it was when I and others started the quest.  Its discussed in the 2010 version of Someone Would Have Talked and pretty well resolved in a series of blog posts from earlier this year. 

The short answer, which is really no fun at all, is that the stock most likely got to Hoover via a publicity stunt by a Colorado official promoting Colorado companies (which Duo was legally) by mailing single copies to a number of prominent people around the country.  It appears they may have picked Duo because of its exciting focus on both oil and uranium and because it had an exceptionally attractive stock certificate.  That in itself was most likely because the company itself was largely not much more than a stock scam - a huge amount of shares with no significant company assets, a couple of dry wells and no income - so it needed all the marketing clout it could get.

As with many of these old leads I was hoping for much more, it was a great mystery and sucked up immense amounts of time...sigh.

4 hours ago, Larry Hancock said:

Michael, you should be following my blog...  I've researched both the DalTex and Duo in great detail over the years and like many things from the earlier  years its not at all as mysterious as it was when I and others started the quest.  Its discussed in the 2010 version of Someone Would Have Talked and pretty well resolved in a series of blog posts from earlier this year. 

The short answer, which is really no fun at all, is that the stock most likely got to Hoover via a publicity stunt by a Colorado official promoting Colorado companies (which Duo was legally) by mailing single copies to a number of prominent people around the country.  It appears they may have picked Duo because of its exciting focus on both oil and uranium and because it had an exceptionally attractive stock certificate.  That in itself was most likely because the company itself was largely not much more than a stock scam - a huge amount of shares with no significant company assets, a couple of dry wells and no income - so it needed all the marketing clout it could get.

As with many of these old leads I was hoping for much more, it was a great mystery and sucked up immense amounts of time...sigh.

Thanks Larry, I opened a thread on this factoid: