The Education Forum

Larry Belmont

My interest is the JFK assassination.

I was 6 and a half years old on November 22, 1963, but remember exactly where I was, as so many do, even as children: the parking lot of the Ramstein Air Force Base (Germany) movie theater. My parents and I had just stepped out into the evening after a late Friday afternoon showing of "Come Blow Your Horn," and were heading for the car when a woman approached us at a trot in the middle of the aisle, screaming that the President had been shot. It was a little past 7 pm, German time. The next thing I remember was the funeral on Monday, and three questions rattling in my head: 1) where we were going to get a new President from, 2) why there was no rider on that horse (and why were there empty boots backwards in the stirrups), and 3) when were the cartoons coming back?

I didn't become interested (at the level of a "student") in the assassination until I read David Lifton's "Best Evidence" in 1981, and have kept abreast of developments in the case since.

Cheers,

Larry

---BIO ---

Larry M. Belmont has worked on newspapers, magazines, and in scientific publishing in multiple capacities. Presently a work-from-home contract editor, he also devotes time to a World War II history web site (http://skylighters.org), is working on a new biography of expatriate American actress Jean Seberg, and is putting the final touches on a stage play about the voyage of writer John Steinbeck and marine biologist Ed Ricketts to the Sea of Cortez in 1940. Larry is a graduate of Syracuse University's S.I. Newhouse School of Public Communications, with a degree in Newswriting. He lives in New York's Lower Hudson Valley.