The Education Forum

Gore Vidal on why those in power "don't have to conspire"

Wayne Madsen was quoted on Facebook today as observing:

As the great novelist and observer of history Gore Vidal once noted, those in power “don’t have to conspire, because they all think alike. The president of General Motors and the president of Chase Manhattan Bank really are not going to disagree much on anything, nor would the editor of the New York Times disagree with them. They all tend to think quite alike, otherwise they would not be in those jobs.” Vidal later said of himself, “I’m not a conspiracy theorist - I’m a conspiracy analyst.”

Doug, This is really a great point that I've tried to make. The antagonists are not "dark and hidden" as they once were. All the multi national corporate industrialists believe the same thing no matter what their country of origin is. They love the Trump agenda, the only fear they had was that Trump would be too protectionist, but  the working reality is that Trump backed down from his trade war rhetoric, and they became confident any of his token tough talk involving treaties can easily be absorbed with little dislocation.They've showed their favor with world stock prices going through the roof in the "Trump" rally.

The other concern they have is that Trump should stop his self destructive tweeting, and hope that no collusion with Russia can be proven so he can enact their globalist agenda. But even these allegations of Obstruction of Justice are starting to be discounted by the International business community, as there is confidence now that their agenda will continue under Mike Pence, but more particularly under the Republicans and Paul Ryan.

You can call it a "conspiracy" if you like, but it's been around all our lives, and it is a much greater problem than any "Deep State" problem involving our government and say it's military procurement, (though to a lesser degree, it is inclusive of that). If enough people were directly confronted with picking between a)holding on to their medical benefits and b)Pursuing an aggressive military presence abroad, there's no doubt that the majority would choose holding on to their benefits. These existential choices are coming to the foreground because of the potential success of the bold  implementation of this same international corporate agenda.

38 minutes ago, Kirk Gallaway said:

Doug, This is really a great point that I've tried to make. The antagonists are .....

..... These existential choices are coming to the foreground because of the potential success of the bold  implementation of this same international corporate agenda.

There is a wide gulf between what Gore Vidal said, presumably about the dark, political and "conspiratorial" events of the 1960's and whatever facts may be on the ground in Trumpland today. I don't think you can say what present day industrialists, especially American industrialists, feel about Trump. Were not looking at the same landscape of power brokers and motives as the one which Gore Vidal describing. Assassinating a President is a far cry from getting a caged ogre elected into the White House. 

Kirk, Tying Trump to this article and the subject at hand does not look like a well-built and logical argument.

As the great novelist and observer of history Gore Vidal once noted, those in power “don’t have to conspire, because they all think alike. The president of General Motors and the president of Chase Manhattan Bank really are not going to disagree much on anything, nor would the editor of the New York Times disagree with them. They all tend to think quite alike, otherwise they would not be in those jobs.” Vidal later said of himself, “I’m not a conspiracy theorist - I’m a conspiracy analyst.”

To this Michael said:

Gore Vidal said, presumably about the dark, political and "conspiratorial" events of the 1960's

Wrong Michael,Maybe you should learn more about who Gore Vidal is.He made that top quote in 1980!

Then at the end of the quote,Vidal says: “I’m not a conspiracy theorist - I’m a conspiracy analyst.”  He made this quote in 2007!  Why do you assume  Vidal was talking  about the 60's?

Michael said,

So we are not looking at the same landscape of power brokers and motives as the one which Gore Vidal describing.

Oh contraire, Michael. And they've been pretty successful at it. If you personally haven't experienced it, Maybe you should read about the marginalization of the middle class that's gone on since the 1980's and get back to me.

I can't imagine why you would assume that those remarks would be more fitting of the 60's than they are now, unless you're completely out of touch with now. They think alike and have the same world outlook. Those comments are as true now as ever. Explain to me with a "well built and logical argument" why they're not.

He also made this quote below, not in the "dark and conspiratorial events of the 1960's" but in 2002! For those who suspect "60's dark conspiratorial events" happening then.

Apparently, "conspiracy stuff" is now shorthand for unspeakable truth.

Edited by Kirk Gallaway

At the risk of jumping in the middle, Kirk, I think Michael's point was that many many rich and powerful people hate Trump's guts...even though he plans on buying them off by cutting their taxes, and allowing them to pollute as much as they want.

The embarrassment level is just too high.

Think about it this way. You're rich. And hungry. Now, you have a choice. You can go to dinner and get treated like a king. But it comes at a price. Or you can get a free steak dinner, served by an orange clown who openly mocks the handicapped, and denounces the starving crowd outside as a bunch of pathetic losers.

Many if not most will choose to pay the price.

They love the Trump agenda, the only fear they had was that Trump would be too protectionist, but  the working reality is that Trump backed down from his trade war rhetoric, and they became confident any of his token tough talk involving treaties can easily be absorbed with little dislocation.They've showed their favor with world stock prices going through the roof in the "Trump" rally.

The other concern they have is that Trump should stop his self destructive tweeting, and hope that no collusion with Russia can be proven so he can enact their globalist agenda. But even these allegations of Obstruction of Justice are starting to be discounted by the International business community, as there is confidence now that their agenda will continue under Mike Pence, but more particularly under the Republicans and Paul Ryan.

Understood Pat, As I've said above. The acceptance among the multi national business community is not unconditional. But Trump is the most pro business President of our time. To those people this is the unparalleled opportunity of our time to push their agenda of tax cuts, deregulation, of environmental, consumer,and financial institutions, and to dismantle Obamacare and public sector entitlements. Reagan was the closest thing to this but the Democrats controlled Congress during the 8 years of his Presidency. In many ways the danger is much greater now than in the 60's in that through propaganda tools and legislative chicanery they could strip the mass of people of their future economic rights legally without firing one shot or assassinating one leader.

These people are not the typical Trump voters which is typically a cult of personality that holds it's leader up to no real scrutiny. As I said above,They could abandon him in a second. As far as "hating Trumps guts", the most typical business leaders of that persuasion come from Silicon Valley, but if they can get their H-1b visas and expatriate their foreign dollars at a good rate, to use your  analogy, they will pay the price of dinner, albeit snicker about him when they leave..