The Education Forum

Seymour Weitzman

Don Jeffries

42 minutes ago, Joe Bauer said:

Roger Craig cleary mentiones Weitzman in Mark Lane's Doc. "Two Men In Dallas."

And Boone.

Excellent, thanks for that Joe. I searched Craig's WC testimony and no mention of Weitzman was recorded therein. Two Men in Dallas was released in 1976. I'd love to know when he filmed Craig's interview.

******edit: The video, Two Men in Dallas, opens with Mark Lane saying that Craig was interviewed by Lincoln Carl In April of 1974********

Edited by Michael Clark

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Don Jeffries said:

You are probably referring to Weitzman's niece. He had no children. 

Could be, Don. As well as getting the make and caliber wrong, another mistake Weitzman made was to identify the scope as a 2.5 Weaver scope which subsequently became one of Japanese manufacture, which was 4 power. This is what was printed in bold white on the top of the scope on the MC.

4 x 18 coated 

Ordinance Optics Inc

Hollywood, California

010 Japan. OSC

Some mistakes to make for a man who knew about rifles.

Edited by Ray Mitcham

• 5 years later...
On 3/30/2017 at 9:44 AM, Don Jeffries said:

I recounted a very strange phone conversation I had with Weitzman's nephew in my book Hidden History. The fear was obvious in his voice as he kept saying, "I don't know nothing!" That's some conspiracy, that can still frighten the nephew of a  police officer who was associated with an assassination some fifty years earlier. 

As both the HSCA report and Michael Canfield noted, Weitzman's mental illness, such as it was, was directly connected to the events on November 22, 1963. He was a crucial witness, and it's a real shame that he wasn't thoroughly interviewed by researchers, especially before his mental breakdown. I was unable to track down his niece, who seems to have been more interested in the case, and would probably have had a lot to say.  

bump

Please also remember that Seymour Weitzman was referred to as "Officer Whitman of Robie Love Office" by Boone, another Sheriff under Decker.

A bit of a conflict over when he was in the sporting goods business...  plus it didn't LOOK like anything... the rifle in evidence is clearly marked, kind of.
So one has to ponder why Boone and Weitzman are so sure at the time...  an unscoped Masuer with a stripper clip would have made a much better weapon from that spot than an unaligned, scoped, POS, firing POS bullets. 

Joe Ball: Are you fairly familiar with rifles?

Seymour Weitzman: Fairly familiar because I was in the sporting goods business awhile....

Joe Ball: Now, in your statement to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, you gave a description of the rifle, how it looked.

Seymour Weitzman: I said it was a Mauser-type action, didn't I?

Spartacus claims that for the 15 years prior to his joining the police force, he worked at a woman's dress shop...

Weitzman graduated from Indiana Engineering School in 1945. He returned to Dallas and was district supervisor and manager for Holly's Dress Shops for 15 years.

Edited by David Josephs

Ray Mitcham ...Posted March 30, 2017

I remember reading a couple of years ago, that Weitzman's daughter said that her dad privately maintained till his death that it was a Mauser he found in the TSDB. Unfortunately I don't remember where I read it. Anybody else ever see the comment? (...) 

Joe Bauer: Roger Craig cleary mentiones Weitzman in Mark Lane's Doc. "Two Men In Dallas."

And Boone.

Quote, WHEN THEY KILL A PRESIDENT by Roger Craig.

(Craig is in the TSDB 6th floor. The three cartridges have been found already.)

We  were  told  by  Dallas  Police  to  look  for  a  rifle—something  I  had  already  concluded  might  be  there  since  the  cartridges  found  were,
apparently, from a rifle. I was nearing the northwest corner of the sixth floor when Deputy Eugene Boone called out, “here it is.” I was
about eight feet from Boone, who was standing next to a stack of cardboard boxes. The boxes were stacked so that there was no opening
between them except at the top. Looking over the top and down the opening I saw a rifle with a telescopic sight laying on the floor with
the bolt facing upward. At this time Boone and I were joined by Lt. Day of the Dallas Police Department and Dallas Homicide Captain,
Will Fritz. The rifle was retrieved by Lt. Day, who activated the bolt, ejecting one live round of ammunition which fell to the floor.
Lt.  Day  inspected  the  rifle  briefly,  then  handed  it  to  Capt.  Fritz  who  had  a  puzzled  look  on  his  face.  Seymour  Weitzman,  a  deputy
constable, was standing beside me at the time. Weitzman was an expert on weapons. He had been in the sporting goods business for many
years  and  was  familiar  with  all  domestic  and  foreign  weapons.  Capt.  Fritz  asked  if  anyone  knew  what  kind  of  rifle  it  was.  Weitzman
asked to see it. After a close examination (much longer than Fritz or Day’s examination) Weitzman declared that it was a 7.65 German
Mauser.  Fritz  agreed  with  him.  Apparently,  someone  at  the  Dallas  Police  Department  also  loses  things  but,  at  least,  they  are  more
conscientious. They did replace it—even if the replacement was made in a different country. (See Warren Report for Italian Mannlicher-
Carcano 6.5 Caliber). 
At that exact moment an unknown Dallas police officer came running up the stairs and advised Capt. Fritz that a Dallas policeman had
been shot in the Oak Cliff area. I instinctively looked at my watch. The time was 1:06 p.m. A token force of uniformed officers was left
to keep the sixth floor secure and Fritz, Day, Boone, Mooney, Weitzman and I left the building.

1 hour ago, David Josephs said:

Weatherford was not on a roof during the parade. He was standing on the street with his colleague. 

11 minutes ago, Denis Morissette said:

Weatherford was not on a roof during the parade. He was standing on the street with his colleague. 

When was he on the street Denis and based on what evidence?

39 minutes ago, David Josephs said:

When was he on the street Denis and based on what evidence?

He was on Main Street in front of the building where was the sheriff's office at 12:30 PM. Eugene Boone told me he was next to Harry at that time. The confusion arose from the fact that Harry was on the roof of the mentionned building during the Ruby trial. Harry explained the story to the HSCA. See the report below.

https://ibb.co/fq3TFdc

On 1/4/2023 at 10:22 AM, Denis Morissette said:

He was on Main Street in front of the building where was the sheriff's office at 12:30 PM. Eugene Boone told me he was next to Harry at that time. The confusion arose from the fact that Harry was on the roof of the mentionned building during the Ruby trial. Harry explained the story to the HSCA. See the report below.

https://ibb.co/fq3TFdc

Is it possible you are mixing up Walthers with Weatherford?

Mr. BALL - You were out in front of the sheriff's office on Main Street?
Mr. BOONE - That is correct.
Mr. BALL - Near Houston?
Mr. BOONE - Yes.
Mr. BALL - And who were you with?
Mr. BOONE - Officer Mooney was out there, I believe, and several of the office personnel, women in the office, clerk-typist and what have you. Ralph Walters, Buddy Walthers, Allen Sweatt, L. C. Smith. Officer Gramstaff. That is about all I can remember.
Mr. BALL - What happened there?

At 1pm he is still there...  If he was trying to cover for Weatherford he might have said Weatherford when asked....  "Weatherford" does not appear in his testimony...

Edited by David Josephs

14 minutes ago, David Josephs said:

Again... why would protecting the president from a rooftop be something Weatherford would be upset about it being known?

Unless he was up there for another reason per Decker....

Just sayin'

Perhaps he was the shooter who missed badly on the first shot and is embarrassed. (sarcasm)

I'm positive Boone was talking about Weatherford since he was answering my question about Roger Craig saying that Harry was on a roof during the shooting. He added that Harry was indeed on that roof, but during the Ruby trial. That is something that another Weatherford's colleague, Jack Faulkner had told me 20 years prior when I asked him the same question. Faulkner said that Craig was an idiot. 

Sheriff Jim Bowles wrote to me the following. But he does not say when: "Harry Weatherford was on the roof of the county records building with another officer whose name escapes me. He was assigned there by Decker, and this information was from Weatherford."