The Education Forum

Stacking the Deck

Jim Root

Excerpts from a piece I did a year or so ago.

THE WHITE HOUSE

EXECUTIVE ORDER NO.11130

APPOINTING A COMMISSION TO REPORT UPON THE ASSASSINATION OF PRESIDENT JOHN F. KENNEDY

Pursuant to the authority vested in me as President of the United States, I hereby appoint a commission to ascertain, evaluate and report upon the facts relating to the assassination of the late President John F. Kennedy and the subsequent violent death of the man charged with the assassination.

The Commission shall consist of –

The Chief Justice of the United States, Chairman;

Senator Richard B. Russell;

Senator John Sherman Cooper;

Congressman Hale Boggs;

Congressman Gerald R. Ford;

The Honorable Allen W. Dulles;

The Honorable John J. McCloy.

The purposes of the Commission are to examine the evidence developed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and any additional evidence that may hereafter come to light or be uncovered by federal or state authorities; to make such further investigation as the Commission finds desirable; to evaluate all the facts and circumstances surrounding such assassination, including the subsequent violent death of the man charged with the assassination, and to report to me its findings and conclusions.

The Commission is empowered to prescribe its own procedures and to employ such assistants, as it deems necessary.

Necessary expenses of the Commission may be paid from the “Emergency Fund for the President”.

All Executive departments and agencies are directed to furnish the Commission with such facilities, services and cooperation as it may request from time to time.

LYNDON B. JOHNSON

With these few words President Johnson established the Warren Commission on November 29, 1963. At the same time the Commission was being created a story was circulating in Germany suggesting that Lee Harvey Oswald had, seven months before the assassination of John F. Kennedy, shot at Major General Edwin Anderson Walker. As the day progressed the FBI would request that the Dallas Police Department forward to them what was left of a bullet that had been recovered from a wall in the home of General Walker. The same police department that lost control of the investigation of the assassination of the President was soon to lose the evidence from this earlier crime. Was this just a coincidence?

Lyndon Johnson was himself, in an eerie position. He had obtained the Presidency he had sought all of his life when a youthful, vigorous John F. Kennedy was cut down by an assassin’s bullet in Johnson’s own Home State of Texas. A cloud of suspicion would forever be attached to the legitimacy of the Johnson Presidency unless and until the public believed he was not involved, in any way with the assassination. Johnson quickly became convinced that if a commission could be formed, whose membership consisted of men with impeccable character, to investigate the assassination it would exonerate him and the government, that he now led, of any wrong doing. A priority of substantial proportion!

From the record:

“By his order of November 29 establishing the Commission, President Johnson sought to avoid parallel investigations and to concentrate fact finding in a body having the broadest national mandate. As Chairman of the Commission, President Johnson selected Earl Warren, Chief Justice of the United States, former Governor and attorney general of the State of California. From the U.S. Senate, he chose Richard B. Russell, Democratic Senator from Georgia and chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee, former Governor of, and county attorney in, the State of Georgia, and John Sherman Cooper, Republican Senator from Kentucky, former county and circuit judge, State of Kentucky, and U.S. Ambassador to India. Two members of the Commission were drawn from the U.S. House of Representatives: Hale Boggs, Democratic U.S. Representative from Louisiana and majority whip, and Gerald R. Ford, Republican, U.S. Representative from Michigan and chairman of the House Republican Conference. From private life, President Johnson selected two lawyers by profession, both of whom have served in the administrations of Democratic and Republican Presidents: Allen W. Dulles, former Director of Central Intelligence, and John J. McCloy, former President of the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, former U.S. High Commissioner for Germany, and during World War II, the Assistant Secretary of War.” (Warren Commission Report, Pg. X)

It was obviously not a coincidence that these men were selected.

When I began to put my research into words I realized that, in retrospect, several key questions were raised, within my minds eye, that related to the appointment of commissioners and the work presented by the Commissioners in the first pages of their summary report.

First, the two “private life” members of the Commission seemed to have an unlimited amount of time to spend working with the commission. On the surface this would seem to be a beneficial asset for the group as a whole. Their ability to manipulate their schedule to the task at hand allowed them the opportunity to exercise a great deal of influence on the outcome of the final Report.

Allen W. Dulles and John J. McCloy were both attorneys with a great deal of insider influence gained by their years of government service in a variety of influential capacities. They are both considered to have been dominating personalities of their times capable of welding significant power in Washington D.C, upon Wall Street and around the world.

Allen Dulles, as former head of the CIA, is a natural focal point of any search for covert government involvement in suppressing information about the assassination of Kennedy. John J. McCloy, on the other hand, was a man whom I knew little about. To be objective in my research I needed to learn a great deal more about John J. McCloy before I could reasonably evaluate his influence upon the commission.

The second bit of information that attracted my attention was a statement within Executive Order 11130:

“The purposes of the Commission are to examine the evidence developed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation…”

The commissioners were not tasked with developing leads on their own. Nor would they be challenged to examine leads that could or might have been developed by the CIA or the various organizations within the military intelligence community.

Chairman Earl Warren:

“Now I think our job here is essentially one for the evaluation of evidence as distinguished from being one of gathering evidence, and I believe that at the outset at least we can start with the premise that we can rely upon the reports of the various agencies that have been engaged in investigating the matter, the F.B.I., the Secret Service, and others that I may not know about at the present time. (From page 1 of the first closed session of the Warren Commission, December 5, 1963, transcribed by Cakie Dyer, Reporter for the Office of the United States Attorney, Washington D.C.)

Within the accumulated forty years of independent research that has been collected, we find that there is a lot of speculation that Lee Harvey Oswald was associated with the intelligence community. Is it just a coincidence that the FBI, which was not the agency tasked with engaging in international espionage, was the only agency given the authority to develop leads? For example, while the military was willing to answer the questions posed by the FBI and the commissioners about Oswald’s military career, military intelligence would not be offering leads to be examined:

Additional investigative requests, where appropriate

“, were handled by Internal Revenue Service, Department of State, and the military intelligence agencies with comparable skill.” (Warren Report forward Page xii)

The same was true for the CIA. The CIA had been led by Allen Dulles, now a member of the commission, for over ten years. Could Allen Dulles be expected to be completely objective in investigating what could amount to his former agencies own shortcomings? Semantics, maybe, but with artful attorneys John J. McCloy and Allen Dulles involved within this process and recognizing their historical ability as word smiths, I found myself constantly scrutinizing the language that was used within the Warren Report. My scrutiny would focus upon a search for errors and omissions within the report and the relationship to the events surrounding Lee Harvey Oswald’s life and the assassination of John F. Kennedy.

Thirdly, with the previous statement in mind, the first line of President Johnson’s directive would haunt me:

“Pursuant to the authority vested in me as President of the United States, I hereby appoint a commission to ascertain, evaluate and report upon the facts relating to the assassination of the late President John F. Kennedy and the subsequent violent death of the man charged with the assassination.”

Could the investigation have been legally manipulated with these words? Is it possible that the security of the United States was more important than revealing the total truth about the assassination of John F. Kennedy? To avoid the potential exposure of some sensitive, or embarrassing, involvement by Lee Harvey Oswald in intelligence operations was the task of the commissioners limited to reporting only:

“…upon the facts relating to the assassination of the late President John F. Kennedy..."

By changing a few words, President Johnson might have said:

“ …I hereby appoint a commission to ascertain, evaluate and report upon the facts relating to the accused assassin Lee Harvey Oswald and the subsequent violent death of President John F. Kennedy…”

With a simple realignment of the words the direction of the commission, therefore its findings, may have been very different. Were the words used to “scope” the commission’s work, carefully selected to misdirect the investigation away from particular elements about the person accused of committing this crime? Would this be legal?

National Security Council 10/2 and NSC 5412 both state, when speaking of covert operations, “…all activities conducted pursuant to this directive which are so planned and executed that any U.S. Government responsibility for them is not evident to unauthorized persons and that if uncovered the U.S. Government can plausibly disclaim any responsibility for them.”

If Oswald had been an intelligence asset and I believe he was, these “secret laws” would provide the legal cover needed to bury the information. Because of their past involvement within the intelligence community Allen Dulles and John J. McCloy would both be aware of these secrete rules.

Yes the deck was stacked before the Warren Commissions Report was dealt.

• 10 years later...

Nearly eleven years ago I posted this and have never had any response to it.

Since that time I have found three items that, though available, can be proven that they were never placed in the Warren Commission Report. All three, I believe, have lead me to believe that Lee Harvey Oswald was, at a minimum of interest, to the CIA and even the NSA at an early date.

After the assassination and while in custody, Lee Harvey Oswald attempted to contact someone named John Hurt. While the secrete service was attempting to monitor Oswald's calls this report never made it into the Warren Commission Report. It would only come out during the HSCA hearings. Not only did I discover that their was a person named John Hurt that had been an original member of William Friedman's team of crytologist (which would become the NSA) the two men tasked with investigating Oswald's radio and potential intelligence connections were Frank Rowlett (another of Friedman's original seven cryptologists and Meridith Gardner who also worked closely with John Hurt during WWII. These two men (Rowlett and Gardner) were closely associated to the Venona Project. Richard Helms was also involved with the Venona Project from its beginning while serving with the OSS during WWII in Stockholm Sweden. The Venona Project beginning can be traced to a note that John Hurt first uncovered.

FBI Agent Hosty wrote three notes about Oswald prior to the assassination of JF Kennedy. The third note was never given a Commission Exhibit number and has never seen the light of day. The two Hosty notes that were given commission exhibit numbers we now know made it to the office of Richard Helms who, by the way was involved from the beginning in the Venona Project (Operation Stella Polaris) since near the end of WWII. Hosty's third note identified where Lee Harvey Oswald was working prior to the motorcade route being designed that put the President in front of the TSBDB. It seems it would be an important piece of information to know who had access to the information that identified where Oswald was working before the motorcade route placed the President in the same area.....but no commission exhibit number.

Who was on the passenger lists when Oswald traveled from London to Helsinki? Omitted from the Warren Commission Report. Although I cannot prove that they were on the plane together I have shown that it was possible that Edwin Walker (who was to take command of the 24th Infantry Division in Augsburg, Germany) could have shared a flight to either Frankfurt or Hamburg Germany and Oswald could still have been one of the only two planes that landed in Helsinki in time to check into the Troni Hotel (One of the planes originated in Frankfort traveled to Hamberg then Stockholm, where it picked up London passengers, then on to Helsinki)..

Was Lee Harvey Oswald so closely associated to certain intelligence operation that the Commission Investigation had to be "handled" in such a manner as to insure that intelligence secrets would not be compromised?

Was the official wording of Executive Order No 11130 designed to insure that a deeper investigation into Lee Harvey Oswald would never be done?

Jim Root

Jim, reading what you wrote reminded me of what Jack Ruby said when the Warren Commissioner's visited his jail cell before he died. Not sure if it is verbatim, but it was something along thelines of.....I am as innocent as all of you gathered here.

Sarcasm?

Robert,

I thought Ruby had said that to them after he'd died.

--Tommy :sun

PS I do agree that the timing of the missing letter and the opening of Oswald's 201 file looks suspicious.

1945-1975: NSA’s Operation Shamrock Secretly Monitors US Citizens’ Overseas Communications

The NSA, working with British intelligence, begins secretly intercepting and reading millions of telegraph messages between US citizens and international senders and recipients. The clandestine program, called Operation Shamrock and part of a larger global surveillance network collectively known as Echelon (see April 4, 2001 and Before September 11, 2001), begins shortly after the end of World War II, and continues through 1975, when it is exposed by the “Church Committee,” the Senate investigation of illegal activities by US intelligence organizations (see April, 1976). [Telepolis, 7/25/2000] The program actually predates the NSA, originating with the Armed Forces Security Agency (AFSA) then continuing when that turned into NSA (see 1952). [Pensito Review, 5/13/2006] The program operates in tandem with Project Minaret (see 1967-1975). Together, the two programs spy on both foreign sources and US citizens, especially those considered “unreliable,” such as civil rights leaders and antiwar protesters, and opposition figures such as politicians, diplomats, businessmen, trades union leaders, non-government organizations like Amnesty International, and senior officials of the Catholic Church. The NSA receives the cooperation of such telecommunications firms as Western Union, RCA, and ITT. [Telepolis, 7/25/2000] (Those companies are never required to reveal the extent of their involvement with Shamrock; on the recommendations of Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld and presidential chief of staff Dick Cheney, in 1975 President Ford extends executive privilege to those companies, precluding them from testifying before Congress.) [Pensito Review, 5/13/2006] In the 1960s, technological advances make it possible for computers to search for keywords in monitored messages instead of having human analysts read through all communications. In fact, the first global wide-area network, or WAN, is not the Internet, but the international network connecting signals intelligence stations and processing centers for US and British intelligence organizations, including the NSA, and making use of sophisticated satellite systems such as Milstar and Skynet. (The NSA also builds and maintains one of the world’s first e-mail networks, completely separate from public e-mail networks, and highly secret.) At the program’s height, it operates out of a front company in Lower Manhattan code-named LPMEDLEY, and intercepts 150,000 messages a month. In August 1975, NSA director Lieutenant General Lew Allen testifies to the House of Representatives’ investigation of US intelligence activities, the Pike Committee (see January 29, 1976), that “NSA systematically intercepts international communications, both voice and cable.” He also admits that “messages to and from American citizens have been picked up in the course of gathering foreign intelligence,” and acknowledges that the NSA uses “watch lists” of US citizens “to watch for foreign activity of reportable intelligence interest.” [Telepolis, 7/25/2000] The Church Committee’s final report will will call Shamrock “probably the largest government interception program affecting Americans ever undertaken.” [Church Committee, 4/23/1976] Shortly after the committee issues its report, the NSA terminates the program. Since 1978, the NSA and other US intelligence agencies have been restrained in their wiretapping and surveillance of US citizens by the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (see 1978). Admiral Bobby Ray Inman, who will become the NSA’s director in 1977, and who testifies before the Church Committee as director of Naval Intelligence, will later say that he worked actively to help pass FISA: “I became convinced that for almost anything the country needed to do, you could get legislation to put it on a solid foundation. There was the comfort of going out and saying in speeches, ‘We don’t target US citizens, and what we do is authorized by a court.’” [Pensito Review, 5/13/2006] Shamrock is considered unconstitutional by many US lawmakers, and in 1976 the Justice Department investigates potential criminal offenses by the NSA surrounding Shamrock. Part of the report will be released in 1980; that report will confirm that the Shamrock data was used to further the illegal surveillance activities of US citizens as part of Minaret. [Telepolis, 7/25/2000]
childbullet.gif After 9/11, the NSA will once again escalate its warrantless surveillance of US citizens, this time monitoring and tracking citizens’ phone calls and e-mails (see After September 11, 2001). It will also begin compiling an enormous database of citizens’ phone activities, creating a “data mine” of information on US citizens, ostensibly for anti-terrorism purposes (see October 2001).

################################
HELMS BRINGS DOWN ANOTHER POTUS (THIS TIME WITHOUT BULLETS), gaal

http://whowhatwhy.org/2014/11/02/the-deep-state-plots-the-1980-defeat-of-jimmy-carter/

Edited by Steven Gaal