The Education Forum

Materials Information Request

I work in the high school at the American School of Valencia, Spain. The school is currently converting to the International Baccalaureate Diploma, and I wonder if anyone could offer suggestions about useful classroom/online instructional materials. I am particularly interested in textbooks for Business at the Standard Level, but suggestions for Economics, Geography, and History are also welcome.

I offer a heartfelt thank you to those who can find the time in their busy schedules to offer some help.

Mervin Eyler

mervineyler@asvalencia.org

• 7 months later...

I only just ran into your posting while I was looking for something else. We're nearly neighbors!

Here's the email address of our SL Business teacher. He's fairly new at it as well, but maybe you can help each other...

danielgrzywacz@amerschmad.org

As far as economics is concerned, I taught that a couple of years ago and was given that awful yellow book which is supposed to be the only one designed specifically for the IB... It was useless. It would be better to look for an English A Level book. I found one by posting for help on the IB OCC Forum. The people there were very helpful...

I wrote at some length to CRISTINA JOFRE at your school last month and made some suggestions about books for history. We find the Access to History series especially useful, although the standard is quite variable (the one on China is rubbish...)

Please feel free to drop me a line if there's anything I can do, or if you're planning on being in Madrid at all...

I searched through the boxes of old books and found the economics texts we used before we switched to Business and Management!

Economics by Alain Anderton, Causeway Press, Ormskirk (!) 1991

ISBN 1 902796 10 1

Essentials of Economics by John Sloman, Prentice Hall, London 1998

ISBN 0 273 65162 5 PPR

Economics: Student Workbook and Reader by John Sloman & Mark Sutcliffe, Prentice Hall, London 1991

ISBN 0 13 016605 7

Hope some of this is helpful...