The Education Forum

DPD Officer Harry Olsen

WC Testimony of Harry Olsen.

I am very sceptical about Olsen's WC testimony, when asked about his leg Olsen says that he fell down and injured it, but doesn't tell the WC that Ruby did it.

And what is with the meeting at the garage with Ruby after the assassination. ?

Also when Olsen was gaurding a ladies house because he was off work on the 22/11/63 why did he leave his car behind, and then have to walk home 4-blocks with his leg in a plaster. ?????

QUOTE:

Ian Griggs.

Joe Cody was apparently an expert ice skater (former pro player?) and he recalled occasions when he had seen Ruby skating at Fair Park. When I read this I was reminded of an interview I conducted of Shari Angel in which she described going ice skating there with Jack Ruby, Kathy Kay and Harry Olsen. Jack collided with Harry on the ice and seriously injured Harry's knee. It was as a result of this injury that Harry Olsen had a leg in plaster and was off duty on the day of the assassination.

Testimony:

Mr SPECTER. Do you recall November 22, 1963, the day President Kennedy was assassinated?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Tell me, as specifically as you can recollect, exactly what your activities were on that day.

Mr OLSEN. I was employed by the Dallas Police Department and I was working at an extra job guarding an estate.

Mr SPECTER. Whose estate was that?

Mr OLSEN. I don't remember the name.

Mr SPECTER. How did you happen to get that extra job?

Mr OLSEN. A motorcycle officer was related to this elderly woman and he was doing work, but he was in the motor----

Mr SPECTER. Cade?

Mr OLSEN. Motorcade of the President, and I was off that day and able to work it.

Mr SPECTER. Do you recall the name of the motorcycle officer?

Mr OLSEN. No.

Mr SPECTER. Where was that estate located?

Mr OLSEN. On 8th Street in Dallas.

Mr SPECTER. Do you recall the specific address or the cross street on which it was located?

Mr OLSEN. It's in the Oak Cliff area, it's approximately two blocks off of Stemmons.

Mr SPECTER. How did it happen that you were not on duty with the police department on the day President Kennedy was in town?

Mr OLSEN. I had my leg in a cast and I was doing light duty, which was working in the office, patrol office, and I had asked them if they needed me to work that day and they said no.

Mr SPECTER. What sort of an accident did you have to injure your leg?

Mr OLSEN. I fell and broke my kneecap.

Mr SPECTER. When did that occur?

Mr OLSEN. Oh, several weeks before.

Mr SPECTER. At what hospital were you treated?

Mr OLSEN. Baylor Hospital.

Mr SPECTER. Is that in Dallas?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, sir; it's on Gaston.

Mr SPECTER. What time did you start to guard the estate on that particular Friday?

Mr OLSEN. About 7 a.m.

Mr SPECTER. And how long did that guard duty last?

Mr OLSEN. Until about 8.

Mr SPECTER. Eight p.m.?

Mr OLSEN. P.m., yes, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Did you have any visitors while you were guarding the estate on that day?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, sir.

Mr SPECTER. And who was the visitor or visitors?

Mr OLSEN. Kay.

Mr SPECTER. What time did she visit you?

Mr OLSEN. Right after the President was shot.

Mr SPECTER. How did you learn of the assassination of the President?

Mr OLSEN. A woman called me on the phone who was a friend of the person who had lived there.

Mr SPECTER. Do you know who that woman was?

Mr OLSEN. No, sir.- And she wanted to know if I had heard the news, and I said no and she said, "The President has been shot."

Mr SPECTER. What time did that telephone call occur?

Mr OLSEN. Right after he was shot. I don't know exactly what time it was.

Mr SPECTER. Did you talk to anybody else on the telephone or in person between the telephone call and the time that Kay visited you?

Mr OLSEN. Passers-by. I went outside.

Mr SPECTER. Whom did you see outside?

Mr OLSEN. No one who I knew by name They just said, "Have you heard the news?" And I said, "Yes, I had."

Mr SPECTER. Did you have any other telephone calls while you were guarding that house?

Mr OLSEN. I called the police department and asked them if they needed me to work.

Mr SPECTER. To whom did you talk at the police department?

Mr OLSEN. I don't recall.

Mr SPECTER. What response did you get?

Mr OLSEN. They said no.

Mr SPECTER. What time did Kay visit you on that Friday?

Mr OLSEN. In the afternoon sometime.

Mr SPECTER. How long did she stay?

Mr OLSEN. Oh, I would say an hour or two.

Mr SPECTER. Where did you have lunch on that Friday?

Mr OLSEN. There at the place that I was watching.

Mr SPECTER. Where did you have supper that day?

Mr OLSEN. At her house.

Mr SPECTER. What time did you go to her house? And by "her" I take it you mean Kay's house?

Mr OLSEN. Yes.

Mr SPECTER. Then what time did you go to Kay's house?

Mr OLSEN. When I got--when the motorcycle officer came and relieved me.

Mr SPECTER. About what time was that?

Mr OLSEN. Oh, 8; about 8.

Mr SPECTER. Did you have an automobile?

Mr OLSEN. No, sir.

Mr SPECTER. How did you get from the house which you were guarding to Kay's house?

Mr OLSEN. Walked.

Mr SPECTER. How far was it?

Mr OLSEN. About 4 blocks.

Mr SPECTER. Did the cast on your knee restrict your walking in any material way?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Were you able to walk with the cast on your knee?

Mr OLSEN. A little bit, not much.

Mr SPECTER. But you were able to walk well enough to cover those 4 blocks to Kay's house?

Mr OLSEN. Yes. And it swelled after I had walked it, though.

Mr SPECTER. What did you do after arriving at Kay's house?

Mr OLSEN. Well, going back to that, I had crutches, I believe, that I used. Now, what was the question?

Mr SPECTER. After you arrived at Kay's house, what did you do then?

Mr OLSEN. We talked about the assassination.

Mr SPECTER. How long did you stay at Kay's house?

Mr OLSEN. I would say several hours.

Mr SPECTER. And about what time did you leave Kay's house, to the best of your ability to recollect?

Mr OLSEN. What time I don't know.

Mr SPECTER. Was anybody else at Kay's house with you besides Kay?

Mr OLSEN. No, sir.

Mr SPECTER. In what manner did you travel away from Kay's house, by foot, by car?

Mr OLSEN. By car.

Mr SPECTER. Whose car was that?

Mr OLSEN. Mine.

Mr SPECTER. How was it that you didn't have your car at the house which you were guarding?

Mr OLSEN. I didn't want to drive it, I don't remember why. I think I left it for her to use.

Mr SPECTER. Did Kay go with you when you drove away from her house?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Where did you go?

Mr OLSEN. Downtown.

Mr SPECTER. What was the purpose of your trip to town?

Mr OLSEN. To see where the President was shot.

Mr SPECTER. Did you go then to Dealey Plaza?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, we drove by there.

Mr SPECTER. Did you go anyplace else?

Mr OLSEN. We went to a garage.

Mr SPECTER. Where was that garage located?

Mr OLSEN. Jackson and Field.

Mr SPECTER. What was the purpose of going to a garage at Jackson and Field?

Mr OLSEN. We knew the man who worked there.

Mr SPECTER. What was his name?

Mr OLSEN. Johnny is all I know him by.

Mr SPECTER. What sort of work did he do at that garage?

Mr OLSEN. He was an attendant.

Mr SPECTER. Why did you want to go see him?

Mr OLSEN. To talk.

Mr SPECTER. For any special purpose?

Mr OLSEN. No, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Do you recollect about what time you arrived at that garage?

Mr OLSEN. Oh, 12, approximately.

Mr SPECTER. Did you see Johnny when you were there?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Did you see anybody else while you were at that garage?

Mr OLSEN. Yes, sir.

Mr SPECTER. Who else did you see?

Mr OLSEN. Jack Ruby

http://jfkassassination.net/russ/testimony/olsen_h.htm

Robin,

Mr OLSEN. I was employed by the Dallas Police Department and I was working at an extra job guarding an estate.

Mr OLSEN. A motorcycle officer was related to this elderly woman and he was doing work, but he was in the motor----

Mr SPECTER. Cade?

Mr OLSEN. Motorcade of the President, and I was off that day and able to work it.

Mr OLSEN. No.

I once tried to identify this motorcycle officer and through a process of elimination, came up with Bobby Joe Dale.

Report of an FBI interview with Jack Hardee December 26, 1963 at the Mobile Co. jail, Mobile AL. Hardee was incarcerated there in "federal custody" Hardee's wife also worked for Jack Ruby.

(23H373)

HARDEE also stated that the police officer whom LEE HARVEY OSWALD allegedly killed after he allegedly assassinated the President was a frequent visitor to Ruby's night club, along with another officer who was a motorcycle patrol in the Oaklawn section of Dallas. HARDEE stated from his observation there appeared to be a very close relationship between these three individuals.

I was curious if the motorcycle officer Harry Olsen and Jack Hardee mention could be the same person.

Ian Griggs in the Lancer Forum 1/30/03:

"DPD motorcycle officer Bobby Joe Dale (who rode in the motorcade) lived at 3615 Theatre Lane at this time. This was located in the Oak Lawn district of Dallas, close to the Lemmon Avenue/Turtle Creek Boulevard intersection. This is about three miles north of Dealey Plaza. Now it gets interesting. During the period leading up to 22nd November, Harry Olsen was also living there, I believe as Dale's lodger (when he wasn't spending his nights at Kathy Kay's apartment!)."

From Harry Olsen's testimony:

I was curious to see if I could find what time Dale got off duty, so I started checking around.

In Purdue Lawrence's personnel assignments, it shows B.J. Dale being assigned to the rear of the motorcade and given call number 161 ( I think).

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol20_0255a.htm

I went through the DPD radio transcripts and didn't see any broadcasts from 161 on either channel 1 or channel 2. His name doesn't appear in the DPD Archives Index, so it doesn't look like he filed an after-action report either.

In Batchelor's Exhibit of Personnel assignments, B.J. Dale's normal monthly routine for November was the 4:00PM to Midnight shift, but then it looks like all those motorcycle patrolmen had their assignments rearranged for the President's visit.

http://www.history-matters.com/archive/jfk...Vol19_0076b.htm

Steve Thomas

Robin,

Mr SPECTER. Cade?

Mr OLSEN. No.

I once tried to identify this motorcycle officer and through a process of elimination, came up with Bobby Joe Dale.

Report of an FBI interview with Jack Hardee December 26, 1963 at the Mobile Co. jail, Mobile AL. Hardee was incarcerated there in "federal custody" Hardee's wife also worked for Jack Ruby.

(23H373)

HARDEE also stated that the police officer whom LEE HARVEY OSWALD allegedly killed after he allegedly assassinated the President was a frequent visitor to Ruby's night club, along with another officer who was a motorcycle patrol in the Oaklawn section of Dallas. HARDEE stated from his observation there appeared to be a very close relationship between these three individuals.

I was curious if the motorcycle officer Harry Olsen and Jack Hardee mention could be the same person.

"DPD motorcycle officer Bobby Joe Dale (who rode in the motorcade) lived at 3615 Theatre Lane at this time. This was located in the Oak Lawn district of Dallas, close to the Lemmon Avenue/Turtle Creek Boulevard intersection. This is about three miles north of Dealey Plaza. Now it gets interesting. During the period leading up to 22nd November, Harry Olsen was also living there, I believe as Dale's lodger (when he wasn't spending his nights at Kathy Kay's apartment!)."

I was curious to see if I could find what time Dale got off duty, so I started checking around.

In Purdue Lawrence's personnel assignments, it shows B.J. Dale being assigned to the rear of the motorcade and given call number 161 ( I think).

I went through the DPD radio transcripts and didn't see any broadcasts from 161 on either channel 1 or channel 2. His name doesn't appear in the DPD Archives Index, so it doesn't look like he filed an after-action report either.

In Batchelor's Exhibit of Personnel assignments, B.J. Dale's normal monthly routine for November was the 4:00PM to Midnight shift, but then it looks like all those motorcycle patrolmen had their assignments rearranged for the President's visit.

Steve Thomas

QUOTE:

Robin,

>And what is with the meeting at the garage with Ruby after

>the assassination. ?

Try to reconcile the accounts of Kathy Kay, Harry Olsen and Jack Ruby and determine how much time they spent in that car that evening.

It will make you dizzy.

Steve Thomas

Steve , i see what you mean, i am already starting to feel dizzy. :)

So, Olsen was asked by the other officer to gaurd the house in his place because he had to ride in the motorcade.

He would then come back and take over minding the house once the motorcade was over and he finished work.

Then when he arrives at the house, Olsen leaves him to it, and walks 4-blocks to Kays house with his leg in a plaster to pick up his car which he left there, but when asked why he didn't just drive it to the house he was gaurding he couldn't remember why, or the name of the cop who he had just been talking to at the house.

Clear as mud.

Robin,

Mr SPECTER. Cade?

Mr OLSEN. No.

(23H373)

Steve Thomas

QUOTE:

Robin,

>And what is with the meeting at the garage with Ruby after

>the assassination. ?

Try to reconcile the accounts of Kathy Kay, Harry Olsen and Jack Ruby and determine how much time they spent in that car that evening.

It will make you dizzy.

Steve Thomas

Steve , i see what you mean, i am already starting to feel dizzy. :)

So, Olsen was asked by the other officer to gaurd the house in his place because he had to ride in the motorcade.

He would then come back and take over minding the house once the motorcade was over and he finished work.

Then when he arrives at the house, Olsen leaves him to it, and walks 4-blocks to Kays house with his leg in a plaster to pick up his car which he left there, but when asked why he didn't just drive it to the house he was gaurding he couldn't remember why, or the name of the cop who he had just been talking to at the house.

Clear as mud.

Steve, i would be very interested to know exactly who owned that estate, and where it was.

Robin,

For some time I had suspected that in addition to the so-called, Safe Houses on Hollandale, one near the Red Bird Airport and the one on Beckley, right behind where LHO lived, that Olsen was actually guarding another one on 8th Street. I also suspected that may have actually been where LHO was headed. However, I have been unable to substantiate these thoughts.

So try one of these possibilities....425 E 8th Street or 431 E 8th Street.

The house (Estate) that Olsen was guarding was possibly at, 425 E 8th Street, and was actually a High Stakes Gambling House.

In addition Harry Olsen,was also known as a gambler. Earl Golz says that Jack Ruby brought out-of-town gamblers to the place at 425 E 8th St.

Plus an undercover officer says that Jack Ruby, got a cut out of what the gamblers lost, when he brought them over there.

The owner (s) of 425 E 8th Street were, George Gardere and Cruger Ragland.

Gardere, was a law partner of, Wynne, Jaffe and Tinsley.

Ragland, was an Insurance Agent whose father (Alphonsus) had served on the Dallas Crime Commission with Earle Cabell.

In addition to the house (estate) at 425 E 8th St, there was another house that could also have been regarded as the estate. This one was at 431 E 8th St. The owner was shown to be, W.W. Davidson, who worked for years, at Magnolia Oil Co.

Note: Lots of connections with the White Russians Group, to Magnolia Oil Co

Some so-called, "plumbers" named Johnson use to hang out there, like Tommy Johnson and his cousin D.H. Fadin and both were related to Davidson.

Did these plumbers work for the Beard Co, (Construction) which contracted for work with the Wallace Co, (Plumbing) Actually they were both adjoined as The Wallace & Beard Co. and also on 8th St...about 8 blocks from the two so-called (estates). Plus, Then we also have testimony from Howard L. Brennen, that he worked for the the Wallace & Beard Co!!

OR

Were these so-called plumbers, actually as Pres Nixon's, White House "plumbers?" Were they needed as contingincies, if needed by the gambling operation next door?

Operators of high stakes gambling might want to acquire a property adjacent, so there would be no neighbor to complain and perhaps they were also involved.

Thus, the 400 block of E 8th Street would be regarded as a "safe block" where gambling was going on at 425 and where perhaps the Johnson plumbers were ready for any "dirty work" from 431. So, 425-431 could be regarded as a single location.

All the information comes from what is referred to as the Dallas Underground by researchers, Prof Bill Pulte, Greg Lowrey and Ken Holmes, Jr and was included in Harry Livingstone's lstest book, "The Radical Right and the Murder of John F Kennedy." (2004)

Dixie

Edited by Dixie Dea

Dixie.

Thanks for that exellent information, that gives me a lot to think about.

As you say were the "Plumbers" actually tradesman, or were they "Nixon" style plumbers.

And it also helps to explain what the police officers were gaurding in shift's, (24-hours} around the clock.

(Speculation)

Were some of these cops paying off gambling debts racked up, or favours, by doing this gaurd duty.

Since we now KNOW from the WC Testimony, that there were at least two cops involved in this gaurd duty, i wonder how many more there were.

Also it makes sense to secure the house next door, no complaints from neighbours, and no prying eyes watching who is coming and going.

Robin....

I had some additional thoughts in regard to Harry Olsen. For one thing, how would he be any good at a security post, with a busted knee-cap? Of course, it might also have been a job where hardly anything ever actually happens, yet someone needs to just be there. He seemed to have worked a long shift that day too...7:00 am to 8:oo pm.

I don't recall if it was mentioned how he got to work that morning, but he did walk back to Kay Coleman's Apt, about 4-5 blocks away, after he got off work.

Kay was using his car that day and even though he did say he had a hard time walking back, because of his knee problem and also in a cast and he did have to use his cruthches some. Plus his leg was swollen by the time he got to the apt. Under the circumstances, I just think it strange that he didn't call Kay to come pick him up. It wasn't so far, yet with his bad leg it probably was. My thoughts are that he did not want his own car seen around where he was working!

On Dec 7th Harry was involved in a car accident and taken to Methodist Hospital. His leg was re-injured plus other areas.

I had a feeling that Chief Curry would have their hide for moonlighting at any sort of "Dens of Iniquity." So, could be this is actually what did happen!

Harry, was on the DPD for about 5 1/2 years and then at the end of that Dec. he was let go from the DPD. He then married Kay and they moved to CA where he worked in a Finance Company. This is the WC testimony.......

Mr. Specter.

When did you end your employment with the Dallas Police Department?

Mr. Olsen.

The latter part of December.

Mr. Specter.

What was the reason for leaving the Dallas Police Department?

Mr. Olsen.

I wanted to come to California.

Mr. Specter.

Nobody at the Dallas Police Department asked you to leave?

Mr. Olsen.

Yes, sir.

Mr. Specter.

Who asked you to leave the Police Department?

Mr. Olsen.

Chief Curry.

Mr. Specter.

What was the reason for that?

Mr. Olsen.

I was out of sick time; in other words, you are allotted so much sick time a year, and he didn't want to extend me any more.

Mr. Specter.

Was that the only reason why he asked you to terminate your employment with the police department?

Mr. Olsen.

That was one of the reasons.

Mr. Specter.

Was there any other reason?

(Long pause.)

Mr. Olsen.

I don't remember exactly what was said.

Mr. Specter.

Was there any special reason why you went to California?

Mr. Olsen.

We heard the eliminate (sic) was nice out here.

Harry was covering up something, because he was so vague and didn't remember things he should have. In addition, although this gets into another area, that I am also exploring, he lied about it.

Harry had rented one of Bertha Cheeks many apartments. At some point, just before the assn., he put Bertha in touch with Jack Ruby about a Nightclub Venture that Jack had in mind. Bertha did meet with Jack, just days before the assn., although she didn't really like the terms of his proposal, so she declined to invest. Bertha, was Earlene Robert's sister, who was the housekeeper where LHO resided on Beckley St. In Harry Olsens WC testimony, he denied any knowledge of Bertha and that is real curious to me as to the reason! Here is the testimony.....

Mr. Specter.

Do you know a Bertha Cheek? Does that name ring a bell with you?

Mr. Olsen.

Yes, sir.

Mr. Specter.

Who is she?

Mr. Olsen.

I have heard the name. Can you help me a little bit with it?

Mr. Specter.

Well, do you recollect anything about her at this moment?

Mr. Olsen.

No, sir; I have heard the name, though

_________

Dixie

Dixie wrote:

The owner (s) of 425 E 8th Street were, George Gardere and Cruger Ragland.

Gardere, was a law partner of, Wynne, Jaffe and Tinsley.

Re the law firm, this is from a different thread (my post):

There is another remarkable, if perhaps coincidental, connection between Watergate and the events surrounding the Kennedy assassination.

We had previously discussed the theory that the Watergate burglary was really about a high-class call girl ring being run out of the Democrat National Committee. In the book Silent Coup, Len Colodny advances the theory that John Dean orchestrated the break-in and the cover-up because his fiancé, Mo Biner (who he later married) was the room-mate of the head of the call-girl ring. (Contrary to a previous posting on this site, I am unaware of any writer that claims that Mo herself was a prostitute.)

It turns out that Mo Biner had a very interesting boyfriend before she met John Dean. His name was Bedford Wynne. Bedford Wynne was the senior partner of the Dallas law firm of Wynne, Jaffe and Tinsley, and he served as the Washington troubleshooter for the Murchison oil and construction interests in Texas. A true wheeler-dealer, in January of 1963 Wynne raised $500,000 (in 1963 dollars, remember!) for the Texas Democrat Party.

Perhaps parenthetically, one member of Bedford Wynne’s firm, Morris Jaffe, was the attorney for the mysterious Baron George de Mohrenschildt.

We already know that around the time of the assassination the congressional investigation of the Bobby Baker scandal was heating up. The November 22, 1963

edition of Life magazine reported that Bedford Wynne was a member of Bobby

Baker’s Quorum Club, which had become notorious as a place of assignation between politicians and call girls. Ellen Rometsch had been one of the call girls associated with the Quorum Club. Rometsch’s lovers included President Kennedy and a member of the Soviet Embassy, the same kind of relationship that had caused the Profumo scandal in England. Robert Kennedy had to appeal to J. Edgar Hoover to intervene with the leaders of the Senate to stop the investigation into the "sex angle" of the Bobby Baker case. The exposure of Kennedy's link to Rometsch could have brought down his presidency, but for the intervention of J. Edgar Hoover.

(Hoover's participation in this matter is one reason I doubt he had any involvement in the assassination. Had he wanted to destroy the Kennedy presidency, he had far easier ways to do so than a complicated assassination scheme. Of course, it is possible that if Kennedy had been toppled by a scandal in 1963, it could have destroyed Johnson's candicacy in 1964. And, as we know, Johnson was facing his own issues.)

Wynne’s family controlled the Great Southwest Corporation in Dallas, a firm that played an important role in the events immediately after the assassination.

At 6:30 on Sunday morning, November 24, Marguerite Oswald called Peter

Gregory, a friend of Lee and Marina Oswald, who had been giving Russian lessons to Marguerite. She asked Gregory to help get her and Marina a place to stay away

from media attention. Gregory called a secret service agent who made reservations for them at the Inn of the Six Flags, in a Dallas suburb. The Inn was one of the principal real estate assets of the Great Southwest Corporation. At the Inn, Marina met its manager, James Herbert Martin, who soon became her personal manager. It was Martin who negotiated the sale of the backyard photographs to Life magazine. (A FBI record linked Martin with a semi-underworld character, but this report was not disclosed until 1972).

In February of 1964 Marina fired Martin and replaced him with William A. McKenzie, a lawyer who had been a college friend of Bedford Wynnne and, until late 1963, a member of Bedford Wynne’s firm of Wynne, Jaffe and Tinsley. In late 1963 or early 1964 McKenzie entered a law partnership with Peter White. The new office number of the McKemzie-White firm was found in the notebook of Jack Ruby’s assistant Larry Crafard. White testified that he had “bumped into” Jack Ruby on November 20, 1963.

There is much more to the story of the prominence of the Great Souuthwest Corporation and the Bedford Wynne firm in the events following the assassination. It is detailed in Chapter Eighteen of Peter Dale Scott’s masterful

book “Deep Politics and the Death of JFK”.

Thanks Dixie.

This whole story is like a tangled web of lies and coverups.

Am i right in assuming that 8th street was only two streets over from where tippitt was killed on 10th street. ?

Hi Tim.

QUOTE:

At the Inn, Marina met its manager, James Herbert Martin, who soon became her personal manager. It was Martin who negotiated the sale of the backyard photographs to Life magazine.

Thanks, i wasn't aware of that information.

Robin Unger Posted Today, 10:14 AM

Thanks Dixie.

This whole story is like a tangled web of lies and coverups.

Am i right in assuming that 8th street was only two streets over from where tippitt was killed on 10th street. ?

Hi Tim.

QUOTE:

At the Inn, Marina met its manager, James Herbert Martin, who soon became her personal manager. It was Martin who negotiated the sale of the backyard photographs to Life magazine.

Thanks, i wasn't aware of that information.

Yes, I was wondering about the location of the house in question. The second police car in the alley, at the Tippit shooting, was it headed towards 9th street, and then 8th.... Harry Olsen at the wheel making sure everthing with Tippit occurred as agreed????

James H. Martin, also romatically briefly involved with Marina Oswald, relationship between the two came to an end as Robert Oswald came into the picture and was involved in a relationship with Marina. This information is based on a letter from James H. Martin, obtained by researcher Gibson Vendettuoli, who occasionally posts on this Forum. The letter can be read on an earlier thread in this Forum, from the latter part of 2004.

• 7 months later...

Mr SPECTER. Cade?

Mr OLSEN. No.

(23H373)

Steve Thomas

QUOTE:

Robin,

>And what is with the meeting at the garage with Ruby after the assassination. ?

It will make you dizzy.

So, Olsen was asked by the other officer to gaurd the house in his place because he had to ride in the motorcade. He would then come back and take over minding the house once the motorcade was over and he finished work.

Clear as mud.

A couple of observations and a question or two:

Harry Olsen is lying about something that would by all accounts seem innocuous. The accounts of the meeting in the garage are difficult to reconcile because they are a "tangled web." On December 8, 1963, Olsen was interviewed by an FBI agent at Baylor Hospital after he'd been in a car crash and broke some ribs. He stated that Jack Ruby had been "no more upset than the average guy" when they'd met over the November 22-24 weekend. Five months later, Jack was "distraught."

Said meeting took place with four people: Olsen, "Kathy" Kay Coleman, Ruby and "Johnny" (or as he called him in his testimony before the HSCA, "one-armed Johnny"), the attendant whose last name Harry didn't know. The FBI found John P. Simpson in August 1964 and interviewed him. He said that while he knew all three of the others by sight, he did not know any of them well enough to be listening to or taking part in any conversation with them, and denied having done so when Harry said he did.

Simpson did, however, remember the event, and otherwise described it as did Olsen ... except that Olsen's version had Ruby approaching them, while Simpson's told of Kay calling out to Jack to get his attention.

Why do you suppose Harry Olsen changed his story, and included someone who wasn't a part of the conversation?

As to the "estate," in 1977, Harry changed the "elderly aunt" of another DPD officer to a "deceased person," and the motorcycle officer who asked him to fill in ("hired" him?) to an attorney. The "estate" was not "a large house," but rather a "dilapidated little place" that formed the "estate" of the deceased. He forgot, apparently, that a "friend" of the home's owner called to tell the "deceased" person that Kennedy had been shot, and that he had answered the phone.

The "estate" was "a couple of blocks from Stemmons Freeway" (Interstate 35E; actually named R.L. Thornton Expressway at that location) on 8th. Note that JD Tippit was asked where he was located ("Kiest and Bonnie View") before being told to move into central Oak Cliff. He was next asked his location, and he said he was at "Lancaster and 8th" eight minutes later.

The most direct route from Kiest and Bonnie View is north on Bonnie View to where it rounds a bend and becomes the eastern terminus of 8th, then continues across I-35 to Lancaster, about 3 blocks later (there is a 7-11 at that corner, where Kay bought Harry some lunch stuff). At the speed limit of 40 mph today, it takes 8-9 minutes to travel from Kiest at Bonnie View to 8th at Lancaster (depending upon how you hit the lights), suggesting that that's the way Tippit got there. Moreover, had he gone any other way, there would have been no reasonable route to 8th that he would've taken: it was just plain "off the beaten path" from any other direction.

What was Harry really doing at the "estate?"

I am curious about the "process of elimination" used to identify BJ Dale; can you expound on that some? Also note that, according to Polk's City Directory for 1963, Dale (occ: police off.) is listed at another address completely, and is NOT shown as residing at Theater St. I don't know where Lancer got that information, but will attempt to find out. I also have Dale's phone number and will endeavor to ask him at some point down the road.

There is more to Harry Olsen than meets the eye. One wonders why nobody less than the Chief of Police fired him: that seems such a minor personnel action - Olsen wasn't even a Sergeant - for the Chief himself to involve himself in. Yet, only five months after the fact, Harry "forgot" "what else was said" besides his sick leave being over-extended (NOT a valid reason for dismissal, by the way).

More later, and will add cites if I've got a moment ....

For some reason the mention of his girlfriend borrowing his car makes me think of the woman who Officer Craig had detained when she was attempting to drive out of the parking lot located behind the fence on the knoll.

This still unidentified woman had somehow been released by an officer "Lummy?" after Craig had asked this officer to take the woman in to the office for questioning.

Pure speculation, but, could this unidentified woman have been Olsen's girlfriend?

Chuck Robbins

• 10 months later...
Guest Mark Valenti

Another weird note in this already weird sequence of events and people:

Kathy Kay's (Mrs. Harry Olsen) testimony:

Mr. Specter.

Did you see Tammi True in Oklahoma City?

Mrs. Olsen.

Yes; I stayed with her; we shared a room.

Mr. Specter.

What, if anything, did you tell her?

Mrs. Olsen.

Oh, we discussed a lot of things about it.

Mr. Specter.

What did you talk about with respect to Jack Ruby?

Mrs. Olsen.

What a crazy thing he did. And that I would never go back to work there. That was about it.

Mr. Specter.

How long did you stay with Tammi True?

Mrs. Olsen.

Three weeks.

This from Ian Grigg's interview with Shari Angel, another Carousel Club employee:

SHARI: Kathy and I were very close. We were best of friends. And we run around together and she'd come to my house, I'd go to her house and we always went together. We were just like a family. But she and Tammi True fought like cats and dogs.

IAN: Really? Kathy Kay and Tammi True?

SHARI: The loathed each other. If you'd go to the bathroom, they'd be socking it out.

IAN: Yeah?

SHARI: Yeah. She wouldn't take much off her, that English girl.

• 10 years later...

Bumping because it is interesting, and because it references another thread that I just posted to.

The original thread is in the JFK online seminars forum.

The testimony above, places Ruby at the Jackson and Field St. garage at midnight Friday, 12-22. Ruby is usually placed at the DPD at that time, using camera footage as evidence.

Edited by Michael Clark

Yes Michael Clark, Ruby was usually placed at the Dallas PD at that time.

This Harry Olsen character seemed like he was lying his head off during his WC testimony.

Couldn't remember names of people he was personally interacting with during the JFK event time period just months later? 

And much too close to Ruby.