The Education Forum

Gilberto Lopez

On 3rd December, 1963, the CIA received information that Gilberto Lopez, a Cuban-American, was involved in the assassination of JFK. Apparently, Lopez left America for Cuba the day after the assassination.

This information was passed to the FBI but according to a CIA memo the bureau failed to investigate the matter (well, they never provided the CIA with any information on the subject).

This is indeed a strange case as Gilberto Lopez had been a member of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC). If Lopez had been a Castro agent the last organization he would have joined was the FPCC. Was he therefore working for the FBI? Was he acting in a similar role as Oswald? Was he the second patsy? After all, the original plan needed at least two people to be identified as the gunman.

John,

There may have been so many potential patsies around that day, it may explain how Oswald was able to slip away. There were too many of them to keep track of without somebody messing up.

Ron

The conspirators convinced Policarpo Lopez to move from Key West to Tampa several months before the assassination. Tampa, of course, was the home of Santo Trafficante, Jr.

The conspirators also arranged for him to get a fourteen day pass to VISIT Mexico City the week of the assassination and to be in Dallas on November 22, 1963.

The conspirators also arranged for him to fly back to Havana on a Cubana airplane on November 27 (it was not the day after the assassinatioin although that is the day he went from Texas into Mexico).

Let's try to get this straight:

OSWAld was the patsy. Policarpo Lopez was the SHOOTER (IMO).

OSWAld was the patsy.  Policarpo Lopez was the SHOOTER (IMO).

Tim,

According to the HSCA, Lopez was a 23-year-old epileptic who left Cuba for fear of being drafted into the Cuban militia, and then at the time of the assassination was trying to get back to Cuba for fear of being drafted into the U.S. army.

Does this young man fit the profile of a marksman (obviously not trained in anybody's military) that conspirators would enlist to shoot the president, hoping that he wouldn't have a seizure during the critical time involved? (His wife thought his seizures, for which he was hospitalized and otherwise treated by doctors in 1963, were brought on by concern for his family in Cuba. IOW by stress. There would be nothing stressful, of course, about lying in wait with a rifle to shoot the president, while worrying about successfully getting away instead of being seized either by the DPD or by his disease.)

This may well be the profile of a patsy, given his suspicious itinerary if it's true, but I don't think someone like Trafficante was so hard up for gunmen (Cuban or otherwise) or so into affirmative action that he would choose a guy who was in and out of medical care for epileptic seizures, to train for president shooting in Dallas.

Ron

Edited by Ron Ecker

Let's try to get this straight:

OSWAld was the patsy.  Policarpo Lopez was the SHOOTER (IMO).

Ron's excellent post needs no comment. However, why would someone from Cuba want to employ two members of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC) to be their patsy and assassin? However, if a group wanted Castro to get the blame, Oswald and Lopez make good choices. (Well it does if you are not terribly bright.)

I suspect Lopez joined the FPCC because he wanted to go back to Cuba. Maybe someone arranged for him to be in Dallas on the day of the assassination. Like Oswald, when JFK is assassinated, he realizes he has been set up and makes a run for it. This in itself of course helps to point the figure of guilt at Oswald and Lopez.

• 4 months later...

In my opinion, Policarpo was not a Dallas shooter.

Someone (Tim Gratz I think) asked me for an image of Gilberto Policarpo Lopez. Sorry for the delay but you just can't get good help. Somebody please save it as I will undoubtedly lose it again.

James

Edited by James Richards

• 6 years later...

On 3rd December, 1963, the CIA received information that Gilberto Lopez, a Cuban-American, was involved in the assassination of JFK. Apparently, Lopez left America for Cuba the day after the assassination.

This information was passed to the FBI but according to a CIA memo the bureau failed to investigate the matter (well, they never provided the CIA with any information on the subject).

This is indeed a strange case as Gilberto Lopez had been a member of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee (FPCC). If Lopez had been a Castro agent the last organization he would have joined was the FPCC. Was he therefore working for the FBI? Was he acting in a similar role as Oswald? Was he the second patsy? After all, the original plan needed at least two people to be identified as the gunman.

I just read a report that Vincent T. Lee, the FPCC director who Oswald corresponded with, said that Oswald had been in Florida and met with Gilberto Policorpo Lopez.

I didn't recall VTL saying this before.

BK

I just read a report that Vincent T. Lee, the FPCC director who Oswald corresponded with, said that Oswald had been in Florida and met with Gilberto Policorpo Lopez.

I didn't recall VTL saying this before.

BK

I really don't believe the question as to whether Oswald was in Florida has been settled definitively yet, Bill.

There is evidence that he was there and there is evidence that he wasn't.

What does your instinct tell you on this, Bill? Do you think he was doing the same infiltration job in Miami or do you think this is Cuban Exile smoke that was designed by Frank Sturgis to further taint Oswald as a commie/Castro sympathiser?

I don't know if Oswald was in Florida or not, but there are reports by anti-Castro people that he was, and now I've read a report that V.T. Lee, the FPCC guy in Florida who Oswald wrote to says that Oswald was not only there but he met up with Gilberto P. Lopez, who reportedly flew to Cuba from Mexico shortly after the assassination.

Even if it is Cuban exile smoke, they are coordinating their smoke pretty good.

BK

• 6 years later...
On 4/20/2005 at 9:12 AM, John Simkin said:

John, et al. --

IF Gilberto Policarpo Lopez was an undercover Castro agent, wouldn't it have been perfectly logical for him to join the FPCC, not only to see what it was up to, but to try to identify any Cuban or FBI/CIA penetrators therein?

You know, so that they might be ... gasp ... manipulated at some point in the future?

--  TG

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 1 month later...

Recently released document on Gilberto Lopez.

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2018/180-10147-10165.pdf

HSCA commentary on Senate Select Committee to Study Governmental Operations on the Performance of Intelligence Agencies in the Inevestigation of Assassination.

Blatantly critical of the FBI and CIA.

Early mention is made of Gelberto Lopez' flight to Cuba via Mexico, beginning on Nov. 23, 1963.

Mention made of:

LITEMPO 4

LIFIRE - joint program with the Mexican security forces. LIFIRE obtained passenger manifests of all commercial flights, passport photographs of travelers to Cuba, and could sometimes even follow a passenger to the hotel with their surveillance truck. 

Giberto Lopez (Mar. 19, 1964)  is said to have been involved in the Kennedy Assassination

- March '63 report on Lopez " jibes fully" with that provided station by LITEMPO early December, 1963.

- Lopez' wife stated that Lopez suffered bouts of epilepsy, and had to be confined to Jackson State Hospital (crossed-out in Key West crossed-out).

- assuming this is Jackson State Hospital, Louisiana. No such place in Key West.

- Lopez' FPCC activities

- CIA provided no information on Lopez to the Warren Comission

- FBI provided one singe piece of Lopez information, regarding a check, to the Warren Comission

Edited by Michael Clark

I am wondering if this Lopez connection to Jackson State Hospital was known when this thread was active. It looks like a very interesting tie-in to Oswald, Mary Sherman, Dr Ochsner, MKULTRA.

more on Gilberto lopez

https://www.archives.gov/files/research/jfk/releases/2018/180-10142-10406.pdf

Edited by Michael Clark