The Education Forum

Thomas Hale Boggs

Thomas Hale Boggs was a member of the Warren Commission. Boggs originally agreed that John F. Kennedy and J. D. Tippit had been killed by Lee Harvey Oswald and that Jack Ruby was not part of any conspiracy. However, later he began to have doubts claiming that "Hoover lied his eyes out on Oswald, on Ruby, on their friends, you name it."

Thomas Hale Boggs disappeared while on a campaign flight from Anchorage to Juneau, Alaska, on 16th October, 1972. No bodies were ever found.

The Los Angeles Star, on November 22, 1973, reported that before his death Boggs claimed he had "startling revelations" on Watergate and the assassination of JFK.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thomas Hale Boggs was a member of the Warren Commission.  Boggs originally agreed that John F. Kennedy and J. D. Tippit had been killed by Lee Harvey Oswald and that Jack Ruby was not part of any conspiracy. However, later he began to have doubts claiming that "Hoover lied his eyes out on Oswald, on Ruby, on their friends, you name it."

Thomas Hale Boggs disappeared while on a campaign flight from Anchorage to Juneau, Alaska, on 16th October, 1972. No bodies were ever found.

The Los Angeles Star, on November 22, 1973, reported that before his death Boggs claimed he had "startling revelations" on Watergate and the assassination of JFK.

Boggs was also one of three Warren Commission members to reject the single bullet theory which is of course the foundation of the Commission's conclusions. The other two members were Richard Russell and John Cooper.

Thomas Hale Boggs was a member of the Warren Commission.  Boggs originally agreed that John F. Kennedy and J. D. Tippit had been killed by Lee Harvey Oswald and that Jack Ruby was not part of any conspiracy. However, later he began to have doubts claiming that "Hoover lied his eyes out on Oswald, on Ruby, on their friends, you name it."

John,

I was unaware that Boggs had made these claims before his death. If true, it makes his death even more suspicious. I suppose there's no chance the Government will reinvestigate his demise?

Thanks John.

Interesting story.

Thomas Hale Boggs

JFKboggs2.jpg

Hale Boggs widow Lindy Boggs served with distinction in Congress after his death.

I suspect he was the recipient of some solid information (on the order of the Audie Murphy material) and was silenced in the plane crash, like Dorothy Hunt, also in 1972.

Mike Gravel and Ted Stephens probably know what happened to him......

Wim Dankbaar published correspondence between the Warren Commission counsel and John McCloy that shows that McCloy was very close to admitting the presence of a second shooter on the overpass.

"That dog won't hunt."

From what I understand, both Lindy Boggs as well as their daughter, Cokie Roberts, deny that Hale had changed his mind about the WC conclusions. Both also still claim to believe the WC got it right.

Dixie

Dixie:

Cokie isn't about to swim against the official version of the

JFK assassination. As you probably know, she is a television political

analyst for ABC News. I strongly doubt she would be seen on ABC

News again if she publicly questioned the official findings of the Warren Commission. Just my opinion, though.

According to Harrison Livingstone in his book, "High Treason," Lindy

Boggs helped the HSCA to continue with its investigation during the debate

on the Floor by saying that her husband would have wanted it to go on. (p.320)

Her husband Hale Boggs had major problems with the credibility of the single

bullet theory.

Bill Cheslock

Edited by Bill Cheslock

From what I understand, both Lindy Boggs as well as their daughter, Cokie Roberts, deny that Hale had changed his mind about the WC conclusions. Both also still claim to believe the WC got it right.

Dixie

Dixie:

Cokie isn't about to swim against the official version of the

JFK assassination. As you probably know, she is a television political

analyst for ABC News. I strongly doubt she would be seen on ABC

News again if she publicly questioned the official findings of the Warren Commission. Just my opinion, though.

According to Harrison Livingstone in his book, "High Treason," Lindy

Boggs helped the HSCA to continue with its investigation during the debate

on the Floor by saying that her husband would have wanted it to go on. (p.320)

Her husband Hale Boggs had major problems with the credibility of the single

bullet theory.

Bill Cheslock

I agree with you Bill. How many people are going to jeopardise their career to dig up a stinking dead cat ? Personally, I don't blame them. I don't give up on the case, though. All it takes is a Government to reopen the case and declassify all existing records. It will happen one day. Eventually America will have to unburden its conscience.

• 1 year later...
According to Harrison Livingstone in his book, "High Treason," Lindy Boggs helped the HSCA to continue with its investigation during the debate on the Floor by saying that her husband would have wanted it to go on. (p.320) Her husband Hale Boggs had major problems with the credibility of the single bullet theory.

And according to A Farewell to Justice, by Joan Mellen, Boggs was deeply unhappy with the WC findings and encouraged Jim Garrison to go forward with his case. Garrison always maintained utter discretion about Boggs clandestine role she says.

And I have read Garrison's book; he doesn't mention Boggs. Mark Lane is also very terse in discussing Boggs in his books, while being very specific in his criticism of other Warren Commission members like Warren, Ford, and good ol' Dulles.

So I think Boggs was not fooled and was murdered. Anyone else have an opinion or info about Bogg's feelings on the WC?

Myra

See Namebase entry for Hale Boggs:

http://www.namebase.org/main2/Hale-Boggs.html

Anderson,J. Peace, War, and Politics. 1999 (155-6)

Choate,P. Agents of Influence. 1991 (112)

Covert Action Quarterly 2001-#70 (25)

Cummings,R. The Pied Piper. 1985 (78)

Davis,J. Mafia Kingfish. 1989 (290-1, 297, 302-3, 368)

DiEugenio,J. Destiny Betrayed. 1992 (86, 92, 386)

DiEugenio,J. Pease,L. The Assassinations. 2003 (52, 119, 133)

Donner,F. The Age of Surveillance. 1981 (114, 181)

Duffy,J. Ricci,V. The Assassination of John F. Kennedy. 1992 (79)

Fallows,J. Breaking the News. 1996 (110)

Fensterwald,B. Coincidence or Conspiracy? 1977 (96-105)

Groden,R. Livingstone,H. High Treason. 1990 (67, 129, 134)

Kantor,S. The Ruby Cover-up. 1992 (161, 165)

Lane,M. Plausible Denial. 1991 (49)

Lasky,V. It Didn't Start With Watergate. 1978 (227, 243)

Marrs,J. Crossfire. 1990 (231-2, 465-6, 562)

Miles,S. How to Hack a Party Line. 2001 (236-7)

Prouty,L.F. JFK. 1992 (301)

Scheim,D. Contract on America. 1988 (211)

Scott,P.D. Deep Politics. 1993 (19-20)

Scott,P.D... The Assassinations: Dallas and Beyond. 1976 (14)

Stich,R. Defrauding America. 1994 (439)

Sullivan,W. The Bureau. 1982 (246)

Summers,A. Official and Confidential. 1993 (206, 314, 318, 394, 396)

Thomas,K. Popular Alienation: A Steamshovel Press Reader. 1995 (278)

Turner,W. Power on the Right. 1971 (185)

Vankin,J. Conspiracies, Cover-ups, and Crimes. 1991 (135)

Weinberg,S. Armand Hammer: The Untold Story. 1989 (199-200)

Winter-Berger,R. The Washington Pay-Off. 1972 (109, 190-1, 193-5, 198)

Zeifman,J. Without Honor. 1995 (204-7)

According to Harrison Livingstone in his book, "High Treason," Lindy Boggs helped the HSCA to continue with its investigation during the debate on the Floor by saying that her husband would have wanted it to go on. (p.320) Her husband Hale Boggs had major problems with the credibility of the single bullet theory.

And according to A Farewell to Justice, by Joan Mellen, Boggs was deeply unhappy with the WC findings and encouraged Jim Garrison to go forward with his case. Garrison always maintained utter discretion about Boggs clandestine role she says.

And I have read Garrison's book; he doesn't mention Boggs. Mark Lane is also very terse in discussing Boggs in his books, while being very specific in his criticism of other Warren Commission members like Warren, Ford, and good ol' Dulles.

So I think Boggs was not fooled and was murdered. Anyone else have an opinion or info about Bogg's feelings on the WC?

Myra

I have some sort of - I hesitate to use this tierm- but "sixth sense" about these things. And in October 1972 I did not even know who Hale Boggs was, BUT I was very suspicious of this plane crash. It did not seem to me that it was an accident. I had heated discusiions about this at the time. I had not yet done serious research into the JFK assassination- (tho believed it to be conspiracy from day one). Then in the period between 73-76 I read about 40 books on the assassination. In his interview with Playboy Garrison credited Huey Long -( or was it Russell, don't remember)- with getting him (Garrison) interested in re-visiting the assassination of JFK. But according to Mellen- who I believe- this was to cover for Hale Boggs.

I have heard that Bogg's signature on the WCR was actually forged. May be folklore, but he was not fooled and I think he was about to go public when his plane went missing.

Not for a moment do I believe that his daughter does not know the truth. But to keep her job she whores out her father's memory.

Dawn

Boggs was also one of three Warren Commission members to reject the single bullet theory which is of course the foundation of the Commission's conclusions. The other two members were Richard Russell and John Cooper.

And each of the three imparted that their refusal to sign the yet to be produced final WC if it contained much of the language as regards the SBT Theory.

The original draft of this document stated in no uncertain terms that the SBT Theory was how CE399 came to exist as well as the wounds for which it created.

Boggs, Russell, & Cooper informed that they would not sign off on the final report if this remained.

Thereafter, it became known as "The War of the Words", in which Gerald Ford was highly involved.

The end result being wording such as "there is persuasive evidence", etc; as regards the SBT Theory.

Tom.

P.S. For those who are unaware, the writer for the WC was a former German who had written for Adolph Hitler.

Whether selling Hitler or the WC, one certainly wants to secure the BEST of the "creative writing" school of thought.

Myra

However, according to his daughter Cokie Roberts, the nationally known television journalist, she told listeners to a talk radio show in April 2004 that her father had no problems with the commission's finding that he was not pushing for the investigation into the Kennedy assassination to be reopened. She said, "I just don't know where people get these ideas from."

The host replied, "The Internet."

Myra

However, according to his daughter Cokie Roberts, the nationally known television journalist, she told listeners to a talk radio show in April 2004 that her father had no problems with the commission's finding that he was not pushing for the investigation into the Kennedy assassination to be reopened. She said, "I just don't know where people get these ideas from."

Although some quite obviously have little if any appreciation for the geneological aspects of the south, others may recognize that most of the important aspects revolve around "family ties".

And those airplane crashes tend to run in family groupings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLesseps_Story_Morrison

Myra

Although some quite obviously have little if any appreciation for the geneological aspects of the south, others may recognize that most of the important aspects revolve around "family ties".

And those airplane crashes tend to run in family groupings.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeLesseps_Story_Morrison