The Education Forum

Application Form for Preliminary Visit

John Simkin

I think it is important that people fill in their application form for the preliminary visit during the next couple of days. Here is my interpretation of the form. Please add your own comments on how this could be improved. For example, Preparatory Visit Agenda might need to be developed in more detail.

Section A is just a description of the form.

Section B: Applicant Institution

This is straight forward and you should have no difficulty with this section.

Section C: Participants

This requires information about yourself. Again this should pose no problems. It provides space for details on a second participant from your institution. However, if you do this you will need to explain why you need two participants from the same institution to attend the meeting. This will not be easy and I suggest you just fill in your own details.

Section D: Visit Content

Part 1: Purpose of the visit. In this section you have to give a brief description of the project including objectives, themes and activities. You also have to include details of the different institutions involved and the planned starting date and duration of the project. Please find my suggested reply below. Note that I have only included the representatives of the institutions who have confirmed their participation in the project.

Comenius 2.1: Citizenship Project.

We intend to create a website, forum and teacher training course on teaching citizenship in Europe.

In the first year of the project we will concentrate on developing a forum and website that will provide an account of how citizenship is taught in Europe. This would contain an overview of each individual country plus a database of case-studies. The website could also contain a collection of reviews of resources to teach citizenship on the web.

In the second year we will concentrate on developing ideas on how citizenship should be taught in Europe. This will take into account issues such as: democratic institutions, social rights, gender equality, multicultural and environmental issues. These materials will be aimed at both full time students and adult citizens (life-long learners).

In the third year we will concentrate on developing a five day residential course for educators in Europe on the teaching of Citizenship.

Members of the project team include:

Janos Blasszauer (Batthyany Lajos Gimnazium, Hungary)

Andrew Davies (Varndean School, UK)

Caterina Gasparini (Istituto Tecnico Industriale, Italy)

Anastasios Matos (Musical School of Larissa, Greece)

Juan Carlos Ocaña (Institution: IES Parque de Lisboa, Spain)

Petra Quirenzova (Podjestedske Gymnasium Liberec, Czech Republic)

David Richardson (University of Kalmar, Sweden)

Ulrike Schuh-Fricke (Gymnasium Neue Oberschule, Germany)

John Simkin (Spartacus Educational, UK)

Further details of the proposed project and team members can be found here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=219

Part 2: Description of the Visit. In this section we need to describe the activities which will take place during the visit. It is also necessary to include the names of the people involved in the project.

Preparatory Visit Agenda

The main purpose of this visit will be to develop a Comenius 2.1 proposal. This includes discussing:

Budget (overview of expenditure and income, staff costs, travels and subsistence, equipment we want to buy, sub-contracting, consultancy and other external services, other costs as web domain, forum)

Description of the project: typology, objectives, outputs, evaluation, dissemination, planning of activities

Creating a detailed workplan, deciding on the lead institution and delegating responsibilities within the group.

Place of Meeting: Worthing, Sussex

Dates of Meeting: 2nd September to 4th September

Janos Blasszauer (Batthyany Lajos Gimnazium, Hungary)

Andrew Davies (Varndean School, UK)

Caterina Gasparini (Istituto Tecnico Industriale, Italy)

Anastasios Matos (Musical School of Larissa, Greece)

Juan Carlos Ocaña (Institution: IES Parque de Lisboa, Spain)

David Richardson (University of Kalmar, Sweden)

Ulrike Schuh-Fricke (Gymnasium Neue Oberschule, Germany)

John Simkin (Spartacus Educational, UK)

Section E: Grant Request

You will need to consult Grant Rules (pages 10/11) to fill in this section.

Although the coordinator institution should solve the last details of the application form, we have to discuss and find agreements on this topics during the preparatory visit:

Budget (overview of expenditure and income, staff costs..., travels and subsistence, equipment we want to buy...Sub-contracting, consultancy and other external services, other costs as web domain, forum..)

Description of the project: typology, objectives, outputs, evaluation, dissemination, planning of activities

Detailed workplan

:D

Fortunately, John and I are participating now in EHELP Comenius 2.1 project and we can be inspired by the successful application form we sent to Brussels last year.

In my view, we must send our application in time so that we can start the project in 2006-2007. After two more years, we will give a course for European teachers in the summer of 2009

John,

We need an approximate price of the hotel to fill out the application.

John, we need to know price of the hotel and which is the best way and the price to get from London airports to Worthing.

John, we need to know price of the hotel and which is the best way and the price to get from London airports to Worthing.

I have phoned several hotels this morning and their prices range from £30 a night (special deal) to £80. These will need to be booked fairly quickly as most of the hotels I phoned have very few places left (except for the £30 a night but that is a 15 minute walk from the sea).

You will need to fly to Gatwick. There is a direct train from Gatwick to Worthing (£10.00). I will let you have the times of these trains when I know when you will be arriving.

Is there goint to be any problem if one of us will book a hotel room, and later he won't be able to travel to Worthing because, let's say, his/her application won't be approved??

I share your concern. I think the Burlington Hotel is our best choice. It is on the sea-front and not far from the town centre. The food is good and it has a nice bar. However, it only has seven single rooms available. Once I get the go ahead I will book some of these rooms. These will go to the first ones who get confirmation. I will book the rest when others get their permission to take part in the visit.

It sounds nice this Burlington Hotel.

I have just handed in my application form. I keep my fingers crossed.