The Education Forum

Bradley Ayers

Just to jump back in here; its probably good to point out that this particular camp that Robertson took Ayers too is very much unlike the normal JMWAVE training facilities...in location, management etc. Now that we can see more and more daily JMWAVE ops documents we need to remember that in general WAVE was run in a very professional and a very tightly controlled fashion. This "mystery" camp which seems to be autonomous and at the disposal of Roselli even in the summer of 1963 is very, very different. I've speculated to James that its just possible that Ayers dropped in a bit of disinformation and that this mystery camp is the Menoyo camp. Even if its not, if Ayers is willing to dish out some real names related to this particular camp and its personnel that could be some pretty important information. Especially if the names were to match some of those James has offered.

-- Larry

The Julio mentioned may indeed be Julio G. Garcia.

That is Garcia on the right in the image below. Apart from Roselli, he also had connections to Eloy Menoyo and during the late summer of 1963 during that Everglades training period, to Herminio Diaz Garcia.

During the hunt for Che Guevara, Garcia was still working as an Agency asset and was stationed in Bolivia. His cover was as an Urban Police Advisor associating with a Dr. Gonzalez who in fact was Gustavo Villoldo, ex Brigade 2506 member and graduate of Fort Benning.

FWIW.

James

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post, Larry.

I have not been able to find out where the money came from to fund the Menoyo camp. This exercise would have been expensive and it should be noted that a large collection of Belgian FAL's were distributed amongst the trainees. It also seemed to attract some of the more motivated of exile militants.

Pure speculation here, but maybe some Mob money (Trafficante) laundered by Paul Helliwell being filtered into this operation would not be out of the question.

Eloy Menoyo calling the shots below.

James

Possibly also relevant that there is some mention that FAL's were the weapon of deniable choice for one of the last of Roselli's plans for Castro - James, you probably recall that better than I...

As I recall the weapons, uniforms and general appearance of the Menoyo camp

put it virtually in a league by itself as far as exile group camps went. It seems to have been extremely professional and dedicated to advanced training - specifically including a heavy emphasis on sniper training.

Larry

Good post, Larry.

I have not been able to find out where the money came from to fund the Menoyo camp. This exercise would have been expensive and it should be noted that a large collection of Belgian FAL's were distributed amongst the trainees. It also seemed to attract some of the more motivated of exile militants.

Pure speculation here, but maybe some Mob money (Trafficante) laundered by Paul Helliwell being filtered into this operation would not be out of the question.

Eloy Menoyo calling the shots below.

James

Possibly also relevant that there is some mention that FAL's were the weapon of deniable choice for one of the last of Roselli's plans for Castro - James, you probably recall that better than I...

As I recall the weapons, uniforms and general appearance of the Menoyo camp

put it virtually in a league by itself as far as exile group camps went. It seems to have been extremely professional and dedicated to advanced training - specifically including a heavy emphasis on sniper training. (Larry Hancock)

You are indeed correct, Larry.

The FAL's were supposedly collected by William Harvey - Castro's forces being armed with this particular weapon. Interesting to note that Eddie Bayo and his group were also armed with FAL's, as was Tony Cuesta's Commandos L.

One other curious element here is that Luis Cantin, participant of Operation Tilt in June of 1963, finds himself at the Menoyo camp in late summer of 1963. Didn't those guys supposedly go missing? :ph34r:

Anyway, Cantin gets around because he then winds up with Tony Cuesta, Ramon Font, Herminio Diaz Garcia and Armando Romero Martinez for their hit and run missions into Cuba during the mid 1960's.

FWIW.

James

Possibly also relevant that there is some mention that FAL's were the weapon of deniable choice for one of the last of Roselli's plans for Castro - James,  you probably recall that better than I... 

Of course, Cubela was another FAL fanatic. I believe he got his through Artime, or was that just his silencer?

Hi Pat,

I believe Garcia was along for the Robertson led raid against a diesel plant in Casilda. Also present were Tony Izquierdo and Rafael Villaverde. Garcia may have also been one of the Low Beam Cubans who went to the Congo with Robertson.

I think Garcia did have a war name but I can't find it off hand.

BTW, this image below shows Garcia on the left and Gustavo Villoldo on the right.

James

Hey, James, haven't we seen a good looking latin guy in dark shades in Robertson's vicinity somewhere before? Like at Houston and Main? Care to compare?

• 9 months later...

A good friend has sent me a batch of documents on Bradley Ayers. This includes a letter to Jack Anderson (1st March, 1995). Bradley reveals that he had been supplying information to Anderson for 24 years about JM/WAVE and the secret war against Cuba. Bradley criticizes Anderson for not using all the information that he sent him.

There is also a declassified letter from Bradley Ayers to John R. Turnheim (23rd August, 1994) where he names the people who “have intimate operational knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the assassination”. He names:

Ted Shackley

Robert Wall

Grayston Lynch

Felix Rodriguez

Thomas Clines

Gordon Campbell

David Morales

Rip Robertson

Edward Roderick

Tony Sforza

Robert Wall and Edward Roderick are new to me. Wall is described in the letter as being Deputy Chief of Operations at JM/WAVE and Roderick as a “U.S. Army Major, explosives expert/Corp of Engineers, attached to JMWAVE and later CIA employee upon retirement from Army.”

Major Edward Roderick was an army engineer on loan to the CIA. According to a piece written by Jack Anderson, Roderick created a mock-up of Cuba's leading and most productive oil refinery which the CIA wanted to blow-up. Roderick also figured how mortars could be pre-aimed then placed by commandos in a precise spot and fired on the run. The idea was finally abandoned after JFK was killed.

FWIW.

James

Major Edward Roderick was an army engineer on loan to the CIA. According to a piece written by Jack Anderson, Roderick created a mock-up of Cuba's leading and most productive oil refinery which the CIA wanted to blow-up. Roderick also figured how mortars could be pre-aimed then placed by commandos in a precise spot and fired on the run. The idea was finally abandoned after JFK was killed.

FWIW.

James

This batch of documents included photocopies of articles by Jack Anderson that featured information supplied by Ayers. The article that James refers to appeared in the St. Paul Dispatch (19th April, 1971). A follow-up articles appeared on the 22nd April, 28th April and the 1st June.

There is also a declassified letter from Bradley Ayers to John R. Turnheim (23rd August, 1994) where he names the people who “have intimate operational knowledge of the circumstances surrounding the assassination”.

It seems odd that such a letter, naming CIA names, would be declassified if Ayers was right about the names.

It seems odd that such a letter, naming CIA names, would be declassified if Ayers was right about the names.

It is not actually a CIA document. It is a letter to Chief Deputy Attorney General in Minnestota that is marked "CONFIDENTIAL".

I have also been sent a copy of a memo from Christoher Barger to Tim Wray about the HSCA interviewing Ayers. The memo suggests that Ayers gave the same names to the HSCA.

One of the most interesting documents is the letter to Anderson. According to Ayers, the managing editor of the publishers of "The War That Never Was" persuaded him to remove portions of the original manuscript. Ayers later discovered he was on the CIA payroll.