The Education Forum

Crisis

John Simkin

The person from ISUC involved in the project will be prof. Dino Renato Nardelli, who is in charge of the "Cittadino consapevole" project.

Will he be the person coming to our meetings and discussing the project on the Forum? If so, could you get him to send me a biography and a photograph for his avatar.

The person from ISUC involved in the project will be prof. Dino Renato Nardelli, who is in charge of the "Cittadino consapevole" project.

Will he be the person coming to our meetings and discussing the project on the Forum? If so, could you get him to send me a biography and a photograph for his avatar.

Yes, he will come to the meetings, but now he is on holiday till the end of July, so I will contact him when he is back.

Has anyone had their preparatory visit approved by their national Socrates agencies? The Italian one is waiting for a positive answer from any other agency involved before approving any.

I have contacted by phone the Greek National Agency and they told me that they will not approve my prep. visit because I didn't attach in the application form an invitation by the institution who organises the meeting. This wa quite a surprise because I didn't know that this invitation was mandatory. Anyway they told me that this has nothing to do with my application form for the project itself.

Edited by Tasos Matos

Last Monday, while I was driving towards Asturias in Northern Spain, I received a phone call from the civil servant in charge of Comenius 2.1 in Socrates Agency in Spain.

It was a quite dissapointing talk. She told me that "Citizenship" has been a very fashionable topic for years and that there were a lot of already finished Comenius projects on that issue. As a consequence, she thought that it was going to be quite difficult to get funding from the EU. She believed that giving me money for a visit to prepare a project that has few chances of being funded.

As my school (and myself) will start teaching History (and other subjects) in English next year, she proposed me to fund my attendance at a Comenius 2.1. Seminar (a meeting from practitioners and teachers from all over Europe to start up new Comenius and Lingua projects) that will take place in late September in Ávila, near Madrid, focused on Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL).

I confess that I am a bit puzzled. On the phone, she sounds like not willing at all of funding my visit to Worthing. At the same time, I do like to join the project. In any case, I can join without attending to the preparatory visit.

Next week, after returning to Madrid, I will phone her and I will post to the forum again.

A better sort of news: I was phoned last Monday a bit later by Jose Luis de la Torre (www.educahistoria.com) and he told me that University of Barcelona (Grupo DIGHES) is willing to join the project.

Edited by Juan Carlos

Many of the postings do not sound very encouraging.

If it is true that the EU does not seem to be willing to fund another citizenship project but seems to be willing to fund projects which cooperate with CLIL it might be worth considering if we can cooperate with those who will meet in Avila in September.

I do not know how this can be done and if it can be done but it sounds like a safer way to get some funds from the EU and approval from our national agencies.

It was a quite dissapointing talk. She told me that "Citizenship" has been a very fashionable topic for years and that there were a lot of already finished Comenius projects on that issue. As a consequence, she thought that it was going to be quite difficult to get funding from the EU. She believed that giving me money for a visit to prepare a project that has few chances of being funded.

I am very surprised by this. In the UK is a very important topic. Especially when it includes looking at the emerging democracies in Eastern Europe. The British authorities will look very favourably on our proposal. Of course, I have no idea how other countries will view the proposal. However, our proposal will hit all the necessary things they are currently looking for in EU projects.

If you send me your postal address I will send you out a letter of invitation on Monday.

I have just phoned my Socrates Agency and they told me that so far they have no received any news from other Socrates Agencies. Probably, the main problem is that a lot of civil servants are on holidays.

However, the person in charge was quite optimistic and told me that if there are more institutions which are going to be funded for the visit, I will get the money as well.

So, please, let your National Agencies know that they need to communicate among them. In that case, we will get the money.

I will phone again next week and I will keep you updated.