The Education Forum

A question for Stephen Roy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No definitive answer.

I showed this Ciravolo pic to a CAP guy who should know, but he begged bad memory after all these years. He THOUGHT it might be Roy Tell.

I showed it to another guy, VERY close to Ferrie but VERY insistent that I never quote or refer to him. He was not in the CAP, but he thought it looked like a Ferrie friend named Andrew Jerome Blackmon. However, Blackmon is described elswhere as swarthy, having curly black hair. So I'd doubt that it was him.

I'm going to NO in a few weeks to interview some folks. I'll ask around.

One interesting thing I found out: The smaller Moisant Squadron shown here apparently included occasional appearances by members of the larger New Orleans Cadet Squadron (Lakefront), from which Ferrie had been bounced a few months earlier, and to which he later briefly returned. The guy on the far left, for example, is Alvin C. Miester, from the NOCS.

I've turned up a bunch of other photos of the CAP including or related to Ferrie, and later photos of his unchartered Metairie Falcon Squadron and IMSUs - Internal Mobile Security Units. If all goes well, I'll debut them in a forthcoming book and film.

It's my understanding that Ferrie is the second man from the left. Is that correct? In looking at this photo again, the third man from the left, whom I'd paid no attention to before, got me wondering.

Ron

It's my understanding that Ferrie is the second man from the left. Is that correct? In looking at this photo again, the third man from the left, whom I'd paid no attention to before, got me wondering.

Ron

Yep, that's Ferrie. The guy third from the left standing bears a resemblance to Dennis Harber. (IMO)

James

Ron

Exactly what i thought ron, even though i have seen this photo hundreds of times.

He does bear a striking resemblance

John

Ron

Ron:

The same guy (bad memory) who thought the circled guy was Roy Tell also thought the third guy was Joe Lisman, a Delta pilot who commanded the squadron, but I think the insignia (bars) are wrong. Again, I'll try to clarify this when I see a couple of former members in a few weeks.

Yes, Ferrie is the second guy, in a helmet (and a provocative position, given Ferrie's orientation!)

Excellent stuff, Stephen. I appreciate the effort and your reply.

That is some terrific information. Excuse my ignorance but what is the NOCS?

New Orleans Cadet Squadron, at Lakefront/NO Municipal Airport, as opposed to the smaller squadron at Moisant. (If one flies to Moisant, mow NO INternational, your luggage is marked MSY= Moisant Stock Yards!!!!)

Is Meister now a Lousiana lawyer? (corr: Miester, pronounced mee-ster)

At one time, he was at a seminary in Louisiana. I found someone by that name at a seminary, but one who knows him said he was now a civilian.

Thanks again.

James

It is my opinion that LHO probably has been added to the photo.

The late Tom Wilson also thought so.

Jack

The guy who kept the rolls of that squadron, now a retired NO official, is sure Oswald was there. He says he had a partial roster of that event, but I've never seen it. (It was called a SARCAP, Search and rescue/CAP). He is one of the people I am going to see in a few weeks.

He looks like a young William Seymour to me..

"He looks like a young William Seymour to me.."

I was about to say the same thing when I looked at it last night, but you guys have beaten me to the punch.

Good shot.