The Education Forum

A question for Stephen Roy

Jack,

Apart from the shoes (which seem out of place when compared to what everyone else is wearing), what are the clues that LHO might have been added to this photo?

Regards,

Frank

I cannot locate my original analysis done about 7 years ago,

so I redid it quickly (quality is not as good, since I worked

from a better scan).

Jack

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's very interesting, Jack. With some curious implications I must say.

Even before seeing your analysis, I had always wondered about the following. I can't put my finger on it but something is not quite right given that both images are supposedly from LHO's time in the CAP.

FWIW.

James

Before we get too far afield on this photo...

There is documentary evidence that Ferrie was guest trainer with the Moisant unit from June to September 1955. Oswald joined that unit on July 27, 1955, cadet serial 084965. Several people, some who testified before HSCA and several I have talked to, recall Ferrie and Oswald in that unit at that time.

The cadet commander who kept the rolls still has a partial list of those on that SARCAP exercise, dated Sunday August 7, 1955. Oswald is listed as present.

I also have a hi-res TIFF scan of the original picture. When blown up, there is much more detail than in a JPG or scan from print. None of the anomalies seem present in the TIFF scan.

For these and other reasons, I am inclined to believe that this is a legit photo. Just my opinion, not looking to start a debate.

Hello Stephen.

Not to disrupt the thread...however, curious -

Does any of your research on Ferrie have any info regarding his whereabouts and activities in '62 - '63 - I came across a reference somewhere to some of his flight plans having been made available at NARA, but no such luck when I search for the reference.

This article by Lisa Pease is very interesting.

http://www.webcom.com/~lpease/collections/...eeport-cuba.htm

- lee

There is documentary evidence that Ferrie was guest trainer with the Moisant unit from June to September 1955. Oswald joined that unit on July 27, 1955, cadet serial 084965. Several people, some who testified before HSCA and several I have talked to, recall Ferrie and Oswald in that unit at that time.

The cadet commander who kept the rolls still has a partial list of those on that SARCAP exercise, dated Sunday August 7, 1955. Oswald is listed as present.

I also have a hi-res TIFF scan of the original picture. When blown up, there is much more detail than in a JPG or scan from print. None of the anomalies seem present in the TIFF scan.

For these and other reasons, I am inclined to believe that this is a legit photo. Just my opinion, not looking to start a debate.

Stephen, I am inclined to agree with you regarding the photo, unfortunately with regards to recent events I was hesitant to say anything. Even on the low resolution photo the so called anomalies occur elsewhere indicating that if they are to be used as a reason to prove retouching, a lot more should be considered suspect. The human perception of values of color and luminosity are quite subjective, particularly in the extreme ranges. For example three dimensional representation (or a mapping of grayscale values as a three dimensional graph) clearly indicate that there are large areas that are far 'whiter' than say the tshirt on the oswald figure, also some of the 'anomalies' stand out as being consistent with a light source from top right. I am wondering the mist indicates this is a breakfast gathering? One thing that I've often thought about Oswald is that he has a disproportionately thick neck while a hardly well filled frame, no wonder he is peering with such glee at the coming meal. Leaning up against post with his thumb hooked in back pocket perhaps? the area around right wrist shows anomalous pixelation, other areas in the grass do as well, so I don't know about this one.

John

this might help to illustrate what I mean, in this 3d graph I have turned it so that one is viewing it from what is the top right on the photo.

Jack,

Apart from the shoes (which seem out of place when compared to what everyone else is wearing), what are the clues that LHO might have been added to this photo?

Regards,

Frank

from a better scan).

Jack

Jack,

Oustanding, and enlightening as always!

Upon further review, I picked up on the whiteness of the shirt. It also strikes me that LHO's picture has more contrast than the rest of the frame. The other faces in the picture seem "softer" than LHO.

Regards,

Frank

Jack,

Regards,

Frank

from a better scan).

Jack

Jack,

Oustanding, and enlightening as always!

Upon further review, I picked up on the whiteness of the shirt. It also strikes me that LHO's picture has more contrast than the rest of the frame. The other faces in the picture seem "softer" than LHO.

Regards,

Frank

Frank, to further illustrate how the eye is a poor judge of color values, in this instance grayscale. This images show all values above 229, as is clearly seen other areas are far 'whiter'.

John

Stephen:

Any chance of you scanning your TIFF from the original and posting for us to have a look...if possible..

Also, though we know he was in the cadets does not mean there hasn't been hanky panky with this photo.

Thanks B....

This photo is one of the most important finds in the last twenty years, as it is the only known photo of Oswald together with Ferrie. Furthermore, it is accepted by the mainstream media as being legitimate. Unless, Jack is saying that a fellow conspiracist faked the photo, I can think of no reason anyone would fake it. It simply makes no sense.

This photo is one of the most important finds in the last twenty years, as it is the only known photo of Oswald together with Ferrie.  Furthermore, it is accepted by the mainstream media as being legitimate.  Unless, Jack is saying that a fellow conspiracist faked the photo, I can think of no reason anyone would fake it.  It simply makes no sense.

1. If the photo is not genuine, it is important only because somebody faked it.

I can think of 20 more important JFK photo discoveries in the last twenty years.

2. It is not provable that it shows Ferrie or one of the two Oswalds.

3. The mainstream media is an acceptable judge of JFK evidence????? Since when?

4. I have NOT indicated who may have faked the photo or why.

5. I can think of several reasons "someone" may have faked it. For instance (not

necessarily applicable here), a photographer faked photos of OJ Simpson wearing

Bruno Magli shoes TO SELL FOR BIG MONEY TO A TABLOID NEWSPAPER.

There is NO KNOWN PROVENANCE FOR THE LHO PICNIC PHOTO!

Jack :huh:

There is NO KNOWN PROVENANCE FOR THE LHO PICNIC PHOTO!

Jack :huh:

I first became aware of the photo from watching the PBS program "Who Was Lee Harvey Oswald?" Since Gus Russo was the main investigator for that program, I figured he'd received the photo from one of Oswald's old mates in the CAP. Now I'll have to watch the program again to make sure.

Gus Russo a credible source???

Many researchers who know Gus consider him in the same

category as Gerald Posner...a tool of the CIA.

The CIA is very good at fabricating/altering photos and other

documents. Did Gus get the picture from the CIA? Are you

aware of Russo's famous quote, I think in Steamshovel

Press..."AT THE CIA, THEY CALL ME GUS."?

Why would the CIA want to show a Ferrie/Oswald connection?

I do not know. But certain quarters were eager to show a

Ferrie connection to the Mafia.

Jack :)

Gus Russo a credible source???

Many researchers who know Gus consider him in the same

category as Gerald Posner...a tool of the CIA.

Jack :)

My understanding of Russo is that he was a committed conspiracist until the mid nineties when he met Seymour Hersh and learned to hate the Kennedys. The program was before then.