The Education Forum

DFES E-Strategy

Rather surprisingly I found a link to My Webpage from the DFES E-Strategy link page. Apparently I am a "stakeholder" in the Voluntary and Community Organisations section.

I always welcome links and am vaguely flattered at the inclusion and am not in any way complaining at any extra traffic it sends to my site, but it strikes me as not very "strategic" to omit to let me know :D

Andy writes:

I always welcome links and am vaguely flattered at the inclusion and am not in any way complaining at any extra traffic it sends to my site, but it strikes me as not very "strategic" to omit to let me know.

Fairly typical of the DfES. I've had a look at the links. You are lucky to be included. The list is remarkable for its omissions. I doubt if a "strategy" actually exists. I get the impression that the government just thinks e-learning is a "good idea" and is therefore throwing a lot of money in this direction.

Only institutions can be stakeholders, apparently, never individuals. I agree about the omissions - why only five subject associations listed (2 out of 3 core subjects, 3 out of 9 foundation subjects), when the National Curriculum comprises a dozen subjects? Isn't at least one MFL organisation desirable - we've been using ICT to teach languages since 1961!

Only institutions can be stakeholders, apparently, never individuals. I agree about the omissions - why only five subject associations listed (2 out of 3 core subjects, 3 out of 9 foundation subjects), when the National Curriculum comprises a dozen subjects? Isn't at least one MFL organisation desirable - we've been using ICT to teach languages since 1961!

Maybe I'm an institution then :angry:

There are certainly those who think I should be in one

David writes:

Isn't at least one MFL organisation desirable - we've been using ICT to teach languages since 1961!

I've already written to the DfES to point out that ALL, CILT, Languages ICT, ICT4LT and EUROCALL should be included. All the above have been active in promoting ICT in MFL. CILT published its first guide to the use of computers in language learning and teaching in 1982. EUROCALL was initiated in 1986 at a meeting in Liege and put on an official footing in 1993, when it became a recognised professional association.