The Education Forum

Warning to Jimmy Carter.

Guest Stephen Turner

James, I know its a long shot, but do you happen to have a photo of Mr Harvey or Mr Ortiz? Thanks Steve.

Steve,

Sorry this reply took so long. Unfortunately I don't have images of these guys but like you say, one could guarantee they are false names. Having said that, there is talk amongst the Cubans that Raymond Lee Harvey might have been Eduardo Ochoa. Ochoa goes back to Brigade 2506 and was mixed up with the more militant aspects of the anti-Castro fight of the early 1960's. Time did not mellow him either as he eventually became a member of Omega 7. In 1980, he was mixed up with the bombing of the Cuban Consulate in Montreal. As to Ray Lee Harvey being Ochoa, that is far from confirmed and should be treated as pure speculation.

Also, regarding the threat to Carter, Willem Oltmans weighed in when he gave a press conference and offered some interesting tidbits including that the operation was run by U.S. Intelligence. Credibility is obviously Oltmans problem but I though it might be of interest.

BTW, in historical context, it should be remembered that Carter named Kennedy-type Democratic Liberal Ted Sorensen as Director of Central Intelligence. I'm sure that ruffled a few feathers.

FWIW.

Cheers,

James

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Stephen Turner

James, I know its a long shot, but do you happen to have a photo of Mr Harvey or Mr Ortiz? Thanks Steve.

Steve,

Sorry this reply took so long. Unfortunately I don't have images of these guys but like you say, one could guarantee they are false names. Having said that, there is talk amongst the Cubans that Raymond Lee Harvey might have been Eduardo Ochoa. Ochoa goes back to Brigade 2506 and was mixed up with the more militant aspects of the anti-Castro fight of the early 1960's. Time did not mellow him either as he eventually became a member of Omega 7. In 1980, he was mixed up with the bombing of the Cuban Consulate in Montreal. As to Ray Lee Harvey being Ochoa, that is far from confirmed and should be treated as pure speculation.

Also, regarding the threat to Carter, Willem Oltmans weighed in when he gave a press conference and offered some interesting tidbits including that the operation was run by U.S. Intelligence. Credibility is obviously Oltmans problem but I though it might be of interest.

BTW, in historical context, it should be remembered that Carter named Kennedy-type Democratic Liberal Ted Sorensen as Director of Central Intelligence. I'm sure that ruffled a few feathers.

FWIW.

Cheers,

James

James thanks for that, It was always going to be a long shot (no pun intended) Steve.

I've had no luck finding an email address for Carter.

Me neither Ron, seems it a bit of a dead end....

Guest Stephen Turner

Post deleted, sorry the link wont work for some reason. Google, jimmy carter national historic site. This does not go straight to Mr Carter, but is fowarded..Steve.

Edited by Stephen Turner

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest Stephen Turner

Has anyone ever dug up any more information on this? All my leads proved to be dead ends. After it happened, this story was weighted down, towed off shore, and sunk.

• 3 weeks later...
... Dawn you surely must know I am a vociferous reader....

So, you read out loud, loudly? Must be very distracting around the office! :o

Carter asked for and was granted a national television spot during prime time and many media pundits predicted that he was about to announce sweeping changes in government as well as new initiatives which would move his upcoming presidential re-election campaign off high center.

But before his televised appearance, Carter journeyed to California . . .

President Carter canceled his national TV speech and went into seclusion at Camp David, MD.

The "assassination attempt" is documented, of course, but I would like to see some documentation on Carter's scheduled speech about some "new initiatives" that was canceled as a result of the attempt.

Pending documentation of the intended speech, what strikes me as a more likely motive for the California intimidation is revealed in the fact that the normally peace-loving Carter signed off a few months later on covert aid to the mujahadeen in Afghanistan, setting what Brzezinski termed, apparently with glee, the "Afghan trap" for the Russians, or "Russia's Vietnam."

• 6 months later...
  • 6 years later...

Thanks Robert:

That got on Daiiy Kos?

Surprising.

I was listening to Thom Hartmann's radio program today and Jimmy Carter was a guest on the show to discuss his latest book, A Full Life: Reflections at Ninety.

It's a short interview, but both the Kennedy assassination and October Surprise came up.

Thom reads a quote from the book about truth in politics and how Carter would often close his speeches by telling the audience that if he ever told a lie, don't vote for him. Thom then asks him a fairly open-ended question about the rise of non-traditional candidates like Donald Trump and Bernie Sanders and if they represent the public's longing for a more truthful political climate. In part of his response, he brings up the Kennedy assassination. Here's his full quote:

"I came along at a pretty capricious time because of tragedies that had occurred, not only of the Watergate scandal, but also of the lies about the war in Vietnam and the assassinations of John and Bobby Kennedy and Martin Luther King Jr., so there was a revulsion then against violence and also against lies.”

Thom then brings up the Iran hostage situation and quotes from Carter's book, "although books have been written about the question, I have never known what caused the Ayatollah to delay granting the hostages their freedom until after I left office." Thom brings up the fact that Abolhassan Banisadr has written that he tried to free the hostages but was told by the Ayatollah that they cut a deal with the Reagan campaign to delay the hostages. Carter responds that "I'm familiar with that. There have been books written about it, but I've deliberatively avoided getting involved in that allegation which I don't have information to prove." He does go on to say that on the morning of his inauguration, the hostages were on an airplane ready to go, but were held until a few minutes after Reagan was sworn in and said "I've always had questions in my mind about why that happened."

Edited by Brian Schmidt

• 2 years later...