The Education Forum

Arsenal

John Simkin

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am off to the home of football on Sunday for the third time this season (Fulham and Sparta Prague were the other 2) and I have been very pleased with our start. Compared to last year when we were dropping points left right and centre, we are now much more solid, and getting a bit of luck too. I hope that Wenger doesn't pick Lehmann for a while, Almunia is looking much stronger and gives the defence a lot more confidence. We also need Walcott to get more confident about taking defenders on and getting to the byeline. Our new signings have certainly impressed, Sagna is great and Eduardo is going to be a star - great passer of the ball and scored a lovely goal on Wed. All in all it just goes to show that 'Arsene knows' and you don't have to shell out obscene amounts of money to play lovely football and win games. Come on you gunners!

They have looked very good so far this season. However, like Liverpool they have yet to meet a top side so far. We will have to see how they get on against West Ham on the 29th September. :tomatoes

• 3 weeks later...

Indeed we have not yet met one of the 'Big Four', in fact we don't until the end of October, by which time we will hopefully have enough points in the bank not to worry - but don't forget that last season we had the best record of all the top four teams against each other and dropped points against the weaker teams ..... like West Ham. Revenge is a dish best served cold, or in Fabregas's case spicy hot!

Indeed we have not yet met one of the 'Big Four', in fact we don't until the end of October, by which time we will hopefully have enough points in the bank not to worry - but don't forget that last season we had the best record of all the top four teams against each other and dropped points against the weaker teams ..... like West Ham. Revenge is a dish best served cold, or in Fabregas's case spicy hot!

I thought your defence struggled against Spurs on Saturday. I am not sure it will be good enough against a team that takes its chances.

Great result tonight 3-0 against Sevilla, the impressive run continues against one of the top teams in Europe.

Good to see you posting on the forum. It was indeed a good result and you are at last scoring goals to go with your attractive football. The real test is when your young foreigners have to play away games against those hard Northerners.

Good to see you posting on the forum

Always there John lurking if not posting ! The glorious run continues, Fabregas is becoming an absolute icon, Adebayor gets stronger every game and bear in mind that we should have beaten Blackburn if it hadn't been for Lehmann's cockup so I am confident our Northern bogey is over. The only downside is the form of Theo Walcott - he had a shocker yesterday, totally lacking in confidence, making the wrong runs and poor passing - he needs a good run in the reserves. Bring on the Hammers!

• 2 weeks later...
"It's all gone quiet over there!"

Beaten by a better side. However, it might have been different if Bellamy and Etherington had been fit. You also did a good job of putting Scott Parker back on the injury table. (clearly you have toughened up this year). Arsenal are the best team I have seen this season. Could well go on to win the league this year.

I ........ look forward to our trip to Anfield in a few weeks time, scene of our famous victory in '89.

Proof positive that you are as old as you look :ph34r:

There's a long way to go yet, but I can't be happier with the start we have made. I shall ignore Walker's jibes and look forward to our trip to Anfield in a few weeks time, scene of our famous victory in '89.

I have been amazed by Wengler's claims that British football is being undermined by foreign owners of clubs. I would have thought British football is being undermined by foreign football managers who refuse to play British players in their team.

Guest Gary Loughran
There's a long way to go yet, but I can't be happier with the start we have made. I shall ignore Walker's jibes and look forward to our trip to Anfield in a few weeks time, scene of our famous victory in '89.

I have been amazed by Wengler's claims that British football is being undermined by foreign owners of clubs. I would have thought British football is being undermined by foreign football managers who refuse to play British players in their team.

I am not sure 'refuse' is the right term but there is pretty good reason why British players don't feature heavily at top clubs, they're not generally good enough and are over valued. Is the recent 'back to the future' inclusions of Campbell, Heskey, James and Beckham in recent England squads an indictment on the talent available or purely a nervous manager?

Ashley Cole is the prime example of this mediocrity, in his book he talks of hearing on the radio that Arsenal had reduced his contract offer by £5K from £60k to £55k - his response he had to pull over on the motorway because it made him so sick. if Gallas could get fit getting him and £5mill for Ashley Cole is an unbelievable bit of business. If Ashley Cole is a world class left back then the standard of world football as a whole has dramatically decreased or there is an undue value placed on average British players, very few of whom exhibit real class (exclude Terry, Gerard, occasionally Rooney).

To the main point -

Wenger and Brady are aware of your general viewpoint - Full article here Times Online

"And the good news for Arsenal and their supporters – if not for their rivals – is that there are more where these have come from. While there have been attacks from various quarters on the perceived inadequacies of the nation’s academies, and Arsenal have been accused of packing their youth set-up with foreign youngsters, Wenger and Liam Brady, the academy director, have always understood that it would take time for such organisations to bear consistent crops of locally born products – hence the bolstering of Arsenal’s youth teams with the best available foreign imports, such as Cesc Fàbregas, Denilson and Traoré. Now, though, Brady believes that British youngsters are close to making a breakthrough.

Gavin Hoyte, the younger brother of Justin, who was on the bench on Tuesday while his elder sibling started the game, is one of three Arsenal players who were with the England squad at the under-17 World Cup in South Korea this month. Rhys Murphy, from Shoreham, West Sussex, and Henri Lansbury, who was born in Enfield, North London, and was also on the bench on Tuesday, were the others.

And the players are not short of belief. Bendtner, who scored the first goal in the win over Newcastle, expects the Arsenal reserve team to make another strong showing in the tournament this season. “The young players all want to play all the games we can,” he said. “All through the club, everyone knows what it’s all about and the way to play football. At the moment the confidence is really, really high. This win was just another showing of what the club is going through at the moment. We are doing everything really well.

“Of course we say ‘young players’, but there were quite a few who play for the first team and who have been involved for a long time now. If one or two weren’t there, the average age would be around 20.” "