The Education Forum

Student Teacher Support

John Simkin

• 5 months later...
The idea behind this section of the website is to provide an opportunity for student teachers to communicate with each other about their experiences. Students are also invited to ask questions that qualified teachers might be able to answer.

And is this noble aim judging by the views and posts statistics we have undoubtedly failed. As has my attempt to get SCITT and GTP students debating online.

Anyone any ideas how we can get more student teachers involved in this forum. An injection of youth and enthusiam would be great to see ( no offence to any forum member living or dead :zzz ). I can only imagine that in the lonely world of all these school based programmes online advice would be much needed.

Perhaps we could also promote perspectives of the training experience from different countries. We do need some volunteers to go and push the message :)

I'm sorry, I really have tried to get people involved. I even stood up in a lecture and wrote the address on the board (very embarassing!)

I'm sorry, I really have tried to get people involved. I even stood up in a lecture and wrote the address on the board (very embarassing!)

It was not your fault. We started this section far too late in the PGCE year. We will make another effort in September. We have a member who teaches on a PGCE course who has agreed to highlight this feature of the forum. Any other PGCE tutors out there willing to help?

Lou I had exactly the same experience when delivering a lecture at the local SCITT/GTP training centre. Lots of enthusiam initially but no hands on session possible to get everyone started - I'll be trying again next year but will re- plan what I am going to do and how I am going to do it.

I'm here and keen to chat.

I am actually finding the same problems with my own forum which I started for this very reason. Being a computer and internet enthusiast, I wanted a place to discuss everything and anything to do with education with my colleagues so I began the process of learning web development and with a bit of help from my fiance (a computer programmer) I created AusTeachers (and specifically, AusTeachers Discussion Forums with the hope that there'd be many other young teachers particularly, like me, who wanted to share what they'd learnt and gain more information.

I even had the opportunity to present the website at a conference of almsot 100 beginning teachers in my state a couple of weeks ago and I got a lot of comments about hwo good it sounded, and I've had lots of people checking the site according to the stats, but very few are actually taking the next step and posting. I've even had people donate books to me to give as prizes for contributions to the site, and very little response. It can be very disheartening but it means a lot to me and I shall continue to plod along with it for the sake of the few who do pay attention.

Here's to hoping for more luck for both of our sites - but as it stands, I'm here and ready to discuss anything and everything :)

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps the real benefits of forum use for trainee teachers will really only start to become obvious when they are used by teacher training institutions to deliver course material and/or to offer support. I believe we have a number of teacher trainers as members, perhaps they should be encouraged to experiment with the forum in this way?? I will certainly willingly set up sections and categories and pre register new users as requested by any such volunteers.

• 1 year later...

What about the idea of saying that unless you make a post on the forum you do not gain your degree :o:up:D:box

I lurve these icon smilies! Bye for now. David ;)

What about the idea of saying that unless you make a post on the forum you do not gain your degree :o:up:tomatoes:box

I lurve these icon smilies! Bye for now. David :unsure:

A little harsh but an interesting idea :lol:

I am hoping to have an opportunity to use the forum with local trainees in the near future and will put it to the course director!

Another way to do it is to use the forum as a place where students have to post something which becomes the basis of other students' assessments. That way they get to both post and reply to posts.

I'm using the English for Industrial Engineers blog to get the students to post instructions and then comment on the instructions other students have posted, using criteria garnered from a long extract from a book on the correct writing of instructions and descriptions:

http://eiekalmar.blogspot.com/