The Education Forum

General Walker : a 'pauper'?

John Dolva

WALKER PATRIOTS IN SERVICE, Nov. 1961: An orthodontist in Midland, Texas, fundraising for General Walker

http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/arlib/contents...|3|1|1|1|71820|

(scroll down to link to page 2)

The daughter of the man fundraising from Midland, (some way west of Dallas)' writes (from Dallas):

"INTRODUCTION

BY KIMBERLY S. KELLEY

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.

Winston Churchill.

"William D. Kelley, D.D.S.": That's what I put in the space marked "Father" on the hundreds of forms I have had to fill out in my time. In the space marked "Father's Occupation," I put "Health Researcher." That's about all the information I volunteer without a darn good reason, though. To my frequent embarrassment, my father has managed to attain a certain degree of fame. Euphemistically, he can be said to be controversial. Those less kindly disposed toward him might use the term "infamous." In any case, I have always found it easier simply to avoid him as a topic of casual conversation.

When we lived in tiny Grapevine, Texas, everyone in town knew of my dad. He was the dentist in the little yellow office on Worth Street who didn't appear to be practicing dentistry. His patients didn't come from across town; they flew in from across the country. And the people coming to see him were all so desperately ill; many of them were cancer patients, obviously on their "last legs." Just what was going on in that small office?

The Fort Worth Star Telegram answered that question in a "shocking exposure" which set the town buzzing. Dr. Kelley, an orthodontist, was seeing cancer patients! Further, the "therapy" he suggested was largely a matter of altering the diets of his patients and giving them vitamins and such! The notion that an individual's diet might be a factor in a disease as serious as cancer was considered absurd, but only slightly less so than the idea of a dentist working with cancer patients in any capacity. The scandal instigated by this article was the first I remember; unfortunately, it was not the last.

My father became involved in cancer research first as a patient. In the early 1960s, life in this family was relatively normal. At that time, we lived in Midland, the tumbleweed capital of Texas. Dad was practicing orthodontics, and his practice was thriving. He belonged to the local country club, the school board, and the Church of Christ. In his spare time, he indulged his passion for "tinkering" by restoring antique cars. His pride and joy was named Twinkles, a 1923 Cadillac which ran like a top in response to his diligent and loving care."

Intriguing considering where the Orthodontist was doing his Walker mail out from.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All

I will be redundant in my post here.

You will never see the true Walker until you search beyond 1957, Little Rock and how General Walker got to where he arrived.

The old saying, "you can't see the forest for the trees." has never been truer when it comes to Walker. His Warren Commission Testimony is just one example of his ability to twist, turn and rearrange words to bypass providing any real information.

What is perhaps more important about Walker's Testimony is that not one Warren Commissioner was in attendance during the interview. Strange when you read the summary of the WC Report and see how much emphisis they placed on the Walker assassination attempt in painting a picture of the "Lone Nut," Oswald.

Perhaps the Commissioners choose to miss this important testimony because McCloy had corresponded with Walker just five months prior to the assassination. Perhaps they excused themselves because Walker had been envolved in two specific WWII missions that McCloy, as Asst. Sec. of War, took a specific interest in. Perhaps it was uncomfortable to be in the same room with Walker because Walker could be associated with John B. Hurt who could also be associated with John J. McCloy and perhaps even Lee Harvey Oswald.

Major General Edwin Anderson Walker is an enigma within the assassination story perhaps even greater than Oswald himself yet never studied to any great degree beyond his involvement in "right wing" organizations.

As a group, conspiracy theorist seem to ignore, excuse or downplay any connections to Walker. Dispite this fact almost anyone with a knowledge of how the military works would have to admit that you could not attain the position of Major General without being connected to many persons which are in the very highest echelons of both the military and the government. Dispite this we find that during the muzzling of the military hearings Walker did not once defend his position by attempting to blame those higher up on the military food chain. He did, of course, make accusations toward the President and those who held civilian control over the government. But the leader of that civilian control, John F. Kennedy would soon be dead.

Please get beyond Walker's "right wing" activites and look more closely at his military career, his intelligence connections and his whole life work if you are truely interested in understanding Walker the man.

Jim Root

Jim, your post is hardly redundant. You are correct in saying a fuller understanding of Walker can only be gained by studying, at the very least, his whole military career, as well as his post-military career.

I am open to your theory concerning Walker, but not yet entirely convinced.

The manner in which he carried out his duties at Little Rock according to you (if I have it right?) showed he was not really a stauch right-winger... just a military man carrying out legal orders, and that his later embrace of JBS was merely more of the same.

Let's look at a time line:

Sept 25, 1957: Walker arrives in Little Rock and helps the integration process succeed

Dec 1958: Welch forms the John Birch Society

Aug 1959: Walker tenders his resignation to Sec of Army, Wilmer Brucker, stating in part that a "fifth column conspiracy in the United States" caused him to "have no further desire for military service." Brucker does not accept the resignation

Oct 1959: Walker sent to Augsburg, Germany, to take command of the 24th Infantry Division

Jan 24, 1960: Walker tells troops 60% of media is communist controlled and that Truman, Acheson and Mrs Roosevelt all "pink".

Summer 1960: Brucker writes to Walker, "Dear General Walker; my visit to the 24th Infantry Division in Europe was an inspiring experience for me. I have the highest admiration for the manner in which you are carrying out your responsibilities."

1961: RFK reportedly wants to investigate John Birch Society after it starts calling for the head of Earl Warren

Apr 6, 1961: Army Chief of Information, Major Gen Wm Quinn wites Walker from the Pentagon: "Dear Ted; One of our basic philosophies is that Commanders should tailor their troop information to their own ideas and needs. That is why we have followed the progress of your Pro-Blue with interest and with pleasure"

9 Apr, 1961: Army announces Walker slated to take over command of the 8th Corps in Texas from August

Mid Apr, 1961: The Overseas Weekly breaks the story on Pro-Blue indoctinations and about Jan 24, 1960 statements.

Apr 17, 1961: Walker relieved of command pending investigation

May 31, 1961: Pro-Blue program shut down

Sept, 1961: A German court finds Overseas Weekly reporter, Siegfried Naujocks, guilty of slandering Walker for telling soldiers he (Walker) had a brain tumor. Naujocks was fined $300 US and barred by the Military from entering the base again.

4 Nov, 1961: Walker again offers resignation, which is accepted

Does this help or hinder your theory?

Prescott

Getting back to Walker's financial situation for a moment, I was going through some of my old notes and came across the following which I though might be of interest.

In 1956, Walker was able to get a young Korean man by the man of Sung Ki Lee to the United States and then using his influence, to enroll Lee in Baylor University. Lee once served with the Republic of Korea Army and was an aide to General Walker.

Walker then paid for the bulk of Lee's tuition through Medical School. I can imagine that as being quite expensive.

Sung Ki Lee below.

FWIW.

James

Greg

Your timeline is excellent but begins too late to see the larger picture that my research brings into focus.

According to Time magazine Walker's assignment to Little Rock began with a phone call from Army Chief of Staff, General Maxwell Taylor. As Chief of Staff of the Army, Taylor, had four crisis (Arlington National Cemetery website). The first was the First Straits of Taiwan Crisis the fourth Little Rock. In these two cases Taylor turned to Walker, his former student at West Point (1927 - 1931), as the man he trusted to accomplish the mission.

I believe that Taylor knew that he could always count on "Ted" Walker to get whatever task he was assigned done!

We find that Walker was involved with the earliest development of Special Forces and was involved in the training of airbore troops, special forces, Rangers and in the operations of covert forces (Greece). All of which were Taylor favorites. When Taylor, with John F. Kennedy's approval officially recognized the Green Berets as a unit, the ceremony commenced with the passing of the colors of the First Special Services Force (a unit that Walker had commanded during WWII) to the newly formed Green Berets.

Walker was involved in the POW exchange in Korea for which Taylor received the credit. Walker was a key figure in the training of Korean Forces after Taylor took command in Korea. This occured at a time when the US Congress was becomming concerned with the cost of the Korean War in terms of the loss of American lives. Walker had previously been involved in the fierce display of American artillery capabilities at a time when the Army, and Taylor, were being critized at home for having logistical problems and being unable to provide the necessary firepower to protect American lives.

Before Korea and even before WWII we find that the military career of Walker is of interest in a way that conflicts with the generally known facts about his life.

We find that the Walker story makes a break from his less than traditional military career. This break coincides with Oswald's "defection" to the Soviet Union. While the standard conspiracy line finds the government creating "cover stories' and "deep backround" that can produce plausible deniability we seem to want to accept the Walker story only from the "right wing" perspective. I continue to push for a deeper look into this man and his connections.

I do not consider the fact that Walker was in a place where William Friedman's team of cryptologists (which included John B. Hurt, circa 1935) is a coincidence. That Maxwell Taylor was involved with this group is also of interest but the most intriguing fact is that (at least during WWII) John J. McCloy was in charge of this most highly guarded group of individuals. The ommission of Lee Harvey Oswald's attempt to contact a John Hurt from the WC Report and the NSA's assignement of two close associates of John B. Hurt to investigate Lee Harvey Oswald's phone book continues to add to this collection of circumstantial evidence.

Walker's career points toward a man who was deeply involved in counter intel work. His name is so closely linked to the assassination story that we must consider the possibility that the career of the one is also tied to the actions of the other.

And the beat goes on.

Jim Root

Jim, with reference to the MAD episode. These were internal FBI documents. It seems that the agents assigned, Sullivan (?) and probably Hoover considered Walker and his lawyer Watts fruitcakes. As this appears as something outside of public knowledge at the time, I can only see this fitting into a deliberate loony ploy, if those things were to become known as a result of investigations, or if it was something Walker wanted to convince the FBI of, or simply: if it was true, he was a bit touched.

Edited by John Dolva

Penabaz was also closely associated with a character by the name of Max Salazar. Salazar was a Episcopal rector and knew General Walker who was a Episcopalian himself. I am left to wonder if Max Salazar was the Salazar who rented the house on Harlandale. (Me)

The image below shows Max Salazar in the middle. The guy on the left is Alpha 66 heavyweight Nazario Sargen.

James

... In 1962, Dallas officials of the John Birch Society attended a meeting with H.L Hunt, General Edwin Walker, Robert Morris (leader of the Defenders of American Liberty, president of Plato University in New Jersey and former chief counsel for the U.S. Senate Internal Security Subcommittee), and Larrie Schmidt....
Larrie being the "idea man" and "political driving force" behind "Conservatism USA" (CUSA), who enlisted the assistance - initially from afar by letter, later in person by persuading them to come to Dallas - of his old Army buddies, Bernie and Bill in furthering the cause of "uniting the right wing" under his banner (shades of Bob Mathews and his Silent Brotherhood!)

On October 29, 1963, he wrote to Bernie and Bill that the Dallas City Council's official apology over "STEVENSON incident" (sic ... and emphasis in the original) "has aroused the scorn and anger of all Dallasites, the overwhelming majority of whom are right-wingers." He added: "This town is a battleground and that is no joke. Never before have Dallas conservatives from the GOP to the John Birch Society ever been so strongly united. And in the middle of it is myself."

Bernie joined Larrie in Dallas, and Bernie's name, of course, was prominent on Friday, November 22, 1963 signed, as it was - without his even converting to Christianity as he was exhorted to do: Weissman, a Jew like Rubenstein - at the bottom of a "Wanted for Treason" ad paid for by a "prominent Dallas businessman" ... a conservative "strongly united" with "the man in the middle," Larrie Schmidt?

Bernie Weissman: more "proof" that it was all done by lone Communists and Jews? Who in the world would ever try to get people to believe that?!? (Other than, of course, someone who did do it and was neither Communist nor Jew ...?)

In reading the spartacus section on Schmidt one gets a further impression of the vision by Schmidt and Weissman in forming of a new kind of right, different from the radical right. Did Bill and Bernie also both serve under Walker?

also

American Historical Society of Germans from Russia

There may be research links through here of interest

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_home/200...ng/1999445.html

In the ebook topic

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...indpost&p=64662

there is a link to books on middle 20th century american fascism. The last book in the list (about 14mb .pdf download) 'Under Cover' should be read by someone who is familiar with names and groups on the right.

Edited by John Dolva

WALKER PATRIOTS IN SERVICE, Nov. 1961: An orthodontist in Midland, Texas, fundraising for General Walker

http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/arlib/contents...|3|1|1|1|71820|

(scroll down to link to page 2)

If the redacted part on the address is a 'c/o' (care of) then perhaps a directory of the time could indicate who in corrigan towers it is referring to?

Edited by John Dolva

" ...corrigan towers it is referring to?"

Possible links between Corrigan Tower and Walker

I can't work it out from this end, but the building next to corrigan tower was owned by Byrd and housed the Petroleum Club.API fits in there somewhere as well.

Mr. RAIGORODSKY. That's a question. You see, talking about, and believe me, that's the only time---first of all, I've got George De Mohrenschildt to become a member of the Petroleum Club.

Mr. JENNER. What is the Petroleum Club?

Mr. RAIGORODSKY. It is the Petroleum Club, Dallas Petroleum Club.

Mr. RAIGORODSKY. I don't remember anything about that, but they always played tennis, you know, they lived next door to me, you see, they played tennis all the time.

Mr. JENNER. Did either of them ever live in the Stoneleigh Hotel?

Mr. RAIGORODSKY. At the Maple Terrace. You see, it is owned by the same people the Stoneleigh, Maple, and now there's another Terrace--the Tower Terrace.

Mr. JENNER. Are these buildings all in proximity one with the other?

Mr. RAIGORODSKY. Oh, yes; and they are owned by the same people, by the Leo Corrigan's son-in-law, Jordan.

Mr. JENNER. In addition to being an expansive person, is De Mohrenschildt a generous man?

Mr Raigorodsky 's church was also involved with the pre assassination Oswalds.

Edited by John Dolva

According to Time magazine Walker's assignment to Little Rock began with a phone call from Army Chief of Staff, General Maxwell Taylor. As Chief of Staff of the Army, Taylor, had four crisis (Arlington National Cemetery website). The first was the First Straits of Taiwan Crisis the fourth Little Rock. In these two cases Taylor turned to Walker, his former student at West Point (1927 - 1931), as the man he trusted to accomplish the mission.

I believe that Taylor knew that he could always count on "Ted" Walker to get whatever task he was assigned done!

We find that Walker was involved with the earliest development of Special Forces and was involved in the training of airbore troops, special forces, Rangers and in the operations of covert forces (Greece). All of which were Taylor favorites. When Taylor, with John F. Kennedy's approval officially recognized the Green Berets as a unit, the ceremony commenced with the passing of the colors of the First Special Services Force (a unit that Walker had commanded during WWII) to the newly formed Green Berets.

Walker was involved in the POW exchange in Korea for which Taylor received the credit. Walker was a key figure in the training of Korean Forces after Taylor took command in Korea. This occured at a time when the US Congress was becomming concerned with the cost of the Korean War in terms of the loss of American lives. Walker had previously been involved in the fierce display of American artillery capabilities at a time when the Army, and Taylor, were being critized at home for having logistical problems and being unable to provide the necessary firepower to protect American lives.

JR

An officer who knew during WWII and the Korean War said the General began thinking seriously about the moral and spiritual qualities of American fighting men on his return to the United States from Korea. He said Walker's concern was heightened when the Pentagon published accounts of how some captured Americans became Communists. The General has been plagued by the idea of how to keep this from ever happening again. As his associates see it, this was the reason for his intense interest in his "Pro-Blue" program for which he is under investigation. [The Herald Press, May 17, 1961]

The commencement of his move to the ultra-right then, can be traced back to concerns over Korean War POWs. At the time of Little Rock however, there was no JBS to galvanise those concerns. There is a JBS by the time he goes to Germany... I think it really is as simple as that.

To be fair, there is another way to view Walker's POW concerns. I know of a researcher who believes Oswald's "defection" was part of some type of operation aimed at helping to identify those in the forces at risk of being "brainwashed" into turning red, and also how to prevent such things happening. Apart from the circumstantial evidence you've put together, it's one reason I don't dismiss your Walker theory entirely.

Jim, you said elsewhere in this thread

we find that during the muzzling of the military hearings Walker did not once defend his position by attempting to blame those higher up on the military food chain. He did, of course, make accusations toward the President and those who held civilian control over the government. But the leader of that civilian control, John F. Kennedy would soon be dead.

Whilst he may not have attempted to blame those higher up in the military food chain during the hearings, he was quite happy to accept credit for Pro-Blue from Major General William Quinn (see post #17). Not so after the kaka hit the fan. The Indiana Evening Gazette of April 14, 1961 quoted Walker as saying, "The Special warfare Section of the Headquarters Staff of the 24th Infantry Division coordinates the Pro-Blue program which is original and extensive in source material. The program is not associated or affiliated with any organisation or society..."

Finally, I don't have to agree with how you put the bones together to recognise that the bones themselves may still contain marrow. I hope you keep digging, and keeping us informed.

The account of the dissolution of the 'Pro-Blue' program was sent to Rep. Dale Alford by Walker supporter Ashland Burchwell.

Burchwell wrote:

"How frightening that a publication such as 'Overseas Weekly' should wield such influence over the actions of free men as to force the downfall of a program whose only vice was the teaching of Americanism to Americans."

To say the least, Burchwell is a very interesting character.

James

Greg

Walker was involved in the processing of large numbers of people on at least three occations during his career.

The first time was during the great depression and the CCC days. The second was at the end of WWII in Norway when he was involved with the return of Soviet POW's to Russia and some 300,000 Germans who had to be returned to Germany. The third time was during the Korean War.

In the CCC days the US Army was called upon to process large numbers of Americans to do public works project who were comming from financially devestated homes. Some of these young Americans could have become potential dissidents as we saw demonstrated during the "bonus marches" in Washington DC. By this time Walker, I believe, was already involved in military intelligence operations which puts an interesting spin on what the military was doing in America at that time. I believe it was during the early 1970's that the military was ordered to actually destroy the intelligence files that it had collected on Americans from previous years.

By WWII military intelligence had become quite profficient at processing POW for possible intelligence assets. The Col. Aaron Bank story of raising and training a complete unit of former German POW's to assassinate Hitler is just one striking example of what the military was capable of near the end of WWII. Bank's story, "From OSS to Green Berets" describes how the Army was recruiting foreign soldiers to become parts of multinational units of specially trained men brought together in small teams to be inserted or left behind enemy lines in case of a war with the Communist Block. A multi-national unit was exactly what the First Special Services Force was and which Walker commanded at the end of the War.

I do not find it hard to believe that Walker was involved with scouring the Soviet POW's and the German military personel in Norway for potential US agents that would be returned to their home countries or "lost," never to return home except as intelligence assets. I understand that Stalin was so worried about just such a possibility that he had large numbers of the former Soviet POW's executed upon their return. Knowlege of this potential fate would be ample encouragement to intice potential recruits into the type of units that Banks described and Walker would have been the man who may have identified and recruited them.

It is not a stretch of the imagination for Walker to be positioned to do exactly the same thing with the Korean and Chineese POW's before their return to their home countries and for him to be concerned with his opposite numbers from the other side of the Iron Curtain doing the same with American POW's.

Once again I reiterate that Walker's complete career is what intrigues me so much, not to mention that he was traveling in Europe at the same time as Oswald and that he can be associated with Oswald and the assassination in general.

Walker's actions in the morning following the assassination still remains a riddle for my mental gymnastics. I cannot yet understand how a German publication knew where Walker was staying in Shreveport and how to get ahold of Walker at his hotel. It is further difficult to understand how that same publication was able to piece together a story, after interviewing Walker, that ends up mirroring the Warren Commissions findings about the attempted assassination of General Walker and then publish that story before the FBI even has a lead on connecting Oswald to the Walker assassination.

Jim Root

Edited by Jim Root