The Education Forum

General Walker : a 'pauper'?

John Dolva

In the ebook topic

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...indpost&p=64662

there is a link to books on middle 20th century american fascism. The last book in the list (about 14mb .pdf download) 'Under Cover' should be read by someone who is familiar with names and groups on the right.

The page linked to isn't there anymore. Also a few posts later is a cryptic (prescott) by me which seems to have been altered without me editing. So long ago, maybe it meant something to me at the time.

Anyway. Another little piece ina puzzle :

"What was the address - the Dallas skyscraper where Walker's office was located?

Thanks

BK

OFFICE: Corrigan Tower, 212 N. Saint Paul Street, Dallas Ernie"

so perhaps the redacted bit was 212N

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

# WALKER PATRIOTS IN SERVICE, Nov. 1961: An orthodontist in Midland, Texas, fundraising for General Walker

http://www.mdah.state.ms.us/arlib/contents...|3|1|1|1|71820|

(scroll down to link to page 2)

Since posting this link last week the entire document is now 'redacted'****. Fortunately copies exist in the computers of many. As do any trail leading to any redaction (and any other attendant redactions.)

here is a transcript

[page one]

WILLIAM DONALD KELLEY, D.D.S.

Practice Limited to Orthodontics

1111 WEST WALL

MIDLAND, TEXAS

---

MUtual 3-4123

November 20, 1961

Dear Fellow American:

We the People want to 'hire' General Walker.

We feel that General Walker stood up for us and against the Communists when and

where we needed him. We are going to stand up for him when and where he needs us..

...NOW and with our action, we feel that it is up to We the People to NOT let him "fade

away" like We the People did for General MacArthur.

We the People feel that any man who would lay his military career down for us -

that any man who would give up his well earned personal security and retirement to help

save us - we will in no way desert in this crucial hour of his life.

We the People want to put General Walker on our payroll; we want to make it

possible for him to be free to continue fighting our battle for us without his actions being

limited due to financial considerations.

Each of us are going to send General Walker a monthly check for whatever amount

we feel we can afford from $1.00 to $1, 000.00 for his fight against the Communist enemy.

If every person who feels our country is worth saving would send $1. 00 every month,

General Walker could have an adequate staff and he could do the type of job the American

people want him to do.

General Walker has electrified America to the awful truth....we are therefore

going to send him our monthly check when we pay our monthly electric bill, for such use

as he may see fit to put it, in his uncontrolled discretion. Like a bolt of lightning he has

started a fire in We the People that will burn the Godless Communists from our country and the world.

We the People can whip the Communists by good use, for a change, of the American

Institution known as the "Installment Plan". We are tired of letting our enemies bleed

us dry. We are tired of consistently supporting communiust governments with our tax money and Communist overthrow of Pro-American governments as in China and Cuba.

One more thing, let us all remember that if our grandfathers had fought the Indians and Red-Coats like we are fighting the Communists, we wouldn't be alive today.

Please send your support and pledges to:

Edwin A, Walker [ed underlined with a redaction following]

Corrigan Tower

212 St. Paul St.,

Dallas 1, Texas

P.S.

Please reproduce and send to your mailing list.

Most respectfully yours,

[signature]

W. D. Kelley

[image::the lower right corner of document showing redacted and MSC identifiers, save print keep]

attachicon.gifattachment

[page 2::]

PATRIOT'S IN SERVICE

I wish to join forces with the WALKER PATRIOTS IN SERVICE and pledge to

support this fight against Communism with my prayers, actions and whatever

monthly contribution I can afford.

[form fields for::]

signature street

date city state

WE SHALL WIN

*REGARDLESS OF THE COST

*REGARDLESS OF THE PERSONAL SACRIFICE

*REGARDLESS OF THE TIME IT TAKES

WILLIAM DONALD KELLEY, D.D.S.

1111 West Wall

Midalnd, Texas

[postage stamping permit no. 140]

TO:

Albert Jones,Director

Mississippi State Sovereignty Commission

New Capitol Building

Jackson, Mississippi

EDIT:::****and it's back online again...

I did do a transcript and it does show his office. Can't remember why I didn't connect it. Anyway there it is, a tiny bit in a puzzle that may have more to do with my reading than anything else..

• 2 weeks later...

John, your exploration into the history of resigned Major General Edwin A. Walker (the only US General to resign in the 20th century) is valuable, IMHO, because it will be shown conclusively (I predict) within the next two years, that Edwin Walker was the leader of the plot to murder JFK.

Edwin Walker is profoundly underestimated in American History today. What Jim Garrison incorrectly said about David Ferrie (i.e. that he is one of the most important figures in American History) will turn out to be a correct statement when applied to Edwin Walker.

Edwin Walker -- we will find out 54 years after the fact -- was actually the John Wilkes Booth of 1963.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Paul - do everyone a favor and stop posting anything here until you go back to the library and go through those 90 boxes looking for evidence that Ernie asked for regarding names. You clearly have the time, and believe it or not, an interested audience here awaiting the results of your search. Your countless hours recounting your theory on the forum can be better used. You are the one with the access. You work at UT. Come on man. I find it hard to believe that the author you mention who is coming out with a book on Walker which you have promised will prove your point has not been through thoses 90 boxes. Are you in touch with him? Does he work at UT also?

Paul - do everyone a favor and stop posting anything here until you go back to the library and go through those 90 boxes looking for evidence that Ernie asked for regarding names. You clearly have the time, and believe it or not, an interested audience here awaiting the results of your search. Your countless hours recounting your theory on the forum can be better used. You are the one with the access. You work at UT. Come on man. I find it hard to believe that the author you mention who is coming out with a book on Walker which you have promised will prove your point has not been through thoses 90 boxes. Are you in touch with him? Does he work at UT also?

Well, Paul B., I have no idea why you want to be so rude all of a sudden You have no idea about the limits on my time.

Anyway, most of the boxes are not stored on site at UT Austin, but must be requested by special arrangement, three boxes at a time, maximum, and only on a special schedule. Also, the rooms in which the boxes are displayed are not walking distance from my office at the University. So -- this isn't a walk in the park.

Also, I don't spend "countless" hours on the Forum -- it's only that I type around 120 words a minute, and I'm always on the computer, so I can write a post to the Forum in one minute or less. I do most of my Forum activity during lunch. So, like I say, you don't know me, Paul B., and you don't know anything about my time constraints.

Also, Dr. Jeffrey Caufield is a retired dentist (as I understand it) in the Midwest, who explored Walker's personal papers at UT Austin some years ago, but also in other States, wherever a cache of Walker's papers could be found (e.g. Dallas and New Orleans).

If you're really interested, Paul B., then pony up and do some digging yourself, instead of just cat-calling from the peanut gallery.

Otherwise, please return to asking intelligent questions, and minimize these emotional outbursts.

Sincerely,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

So asking you to back up your claims with actual EVIDENCE is "rude"???

Well....apologies to Steve Martin, but....EXCUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSE ME!

I'm guessing you believe it to be "rude" because you actually have NO INTENTION on following up.

And I'm in Indiana on a fixed income, so I'm not in nearly the position you are to access the Walker papers. In my view, Mr. Brancato isn't being rude at all. You've got plenty of time to repost your "theory" ad infinitum, but no time to request access to the Walker papers, and you're actually IN AUSTIN and work at UT?

Pardon me if I have trouble believing that. Asking you to back up YOUR theory--not MINE, not MR. BRANCATO's, but YOURS--when you have MUCH easier access to the Walker papers than either of us do...that's RUDE?

I won't apologize for asking for evidence, for facts to back up what is up to now merely a fantasy based on "would've" and "could've" and "might've." If that's rude, then every lawyer, every judge, and every jury in America is rude.

just a bit of background :

This topic was started after GPH made a comment in another topic that when he visited Walker in Dallas they sat outside on the porch and it struck Gerry that Walker didn't have much money. As a result of looking into that it turns out he had considerable funds at his disposal as well as various lawsuits that at least promised at the time a lot of money. I think what Gerry was really seeing was an austere or frugal lifestyle whichy is probably an expression of his life experience. He had a number oif people working for him, like a driver, so I'd say he wasn't short of a quid but directed his money with purpose and an opulent lifestyle was not that.

just a bit of background :

This topic was started after GPH made a comment in another topic that when he visited Walker in Dallas they sat outside on the porch and it struck Gerry that Walker didn't have much money. As a result of looking into that it turns out he had considerable funds at his disposal as well as various lawsuits that at least promised at the time a lot of money. I think what Gerry was really seeing was an austere or frugal lifestyle whichy is probably an expression of his life experience. He had a number oif people working for him, like a driver, so I'd say he wasn't short of a quid but directed his money with purpose and an opulent lifestyle was not that.

Thanks for bringing us back to the theme of the thread, John.

I've researched this aspect of Edwin Walker in some detail. It's true that Walker "won" 3 million dollars in lawsuits against newspapers that printed that he "led charges" in Ole Miss on 30 September 1963.

However, all those "winnings were appealed." Those winnings were obtained from lawsuits conducted in 1963 - 1966. In 1967, it was none other than Supreme Court Justice Earl Warren who reversed all those "winnings" and sent Edwin Walker (and his two lawyers, namely, Clyde Watts and Robert Morris) back to their homes EMPTY HANDED.

It was poetic justice, in my opinion -- because actually Walker was guilty as sin of creating the riots at Ole Miss University.

It's worthwhile to note that Watts and Morris actually sued ten times that number of newspapers, and if they had won every case, they would have won 30 million dollars -- which, adjusted for inflation, would amount today to 300 million dollars.

Here's a listing of some of those lawsuits from the papers of Edwin Walker:

http://www.pet880.com/images/19640101_Walker_v_AP.JPG

The fact is that Watts & Morris lost 9 out of 10 of those cases, because most Americans remembered the inflammatory radio messages from Ex-General Walker that filled the airwaves in the week leading up to the Ole Miss riots on 30 September 1962.

In those few cases where Walker and his layers won, it was because they had succeeded in making Edwin Walker look like the *victim* in the Ole Miss riots -- saying that he was only there to calm everybody down and bring peace to the situation -- and the jury bought it.

Still, even 3 million dollars was a heck of a lot of money in 1963. It was because of these reported "winnings' that people like Gerry Patrick Hemming started up a cozy relationship with Ex-General Edwin Walker, even visiting him at his home with members of Interpen. Loran Hall also speaks of visiting Walker's home in Dallas.

The letters we have among Edwin Walker's personal papers include letters from Gerry Patrick Hemming making a case for the loyalty and poverty of his Interpen mercenaries, and asking for a generous donation.

Yet Edwin Walker didn't have the money in his hands, yet. There were only newspaper reports stating how much he had won in this or that case. So, the best Edwin Walker could do was to promise money to all these Cuban Raiders "when his ship came in."

Another figure who cozied up to Edwin Walker for money was Carlos Bringuier of the DRE. Again, all Edwin Walker could do was to promise him money "when his ship came in," although he admitted to the Warren Commission that he donated $50 to the DRE.

My point is that Walker never saw one penny of that money. Edwin Walker made his money on dues and donations from his "Friends of Walker" group, who purchased his nonsense from his American Eagle Publishing Company, as well as his periodical political newsletter, and from making radical speeches to various hate-groups from coast to coast.

His ship never came in. Therefore, after a few more years, Edwin Walker was reduced to begging the US Army for his pension -- even though he rashly spurned his pension in November 1961 (for the second time) when he resigned his office as Major General.

The US Army restored Walker's pension in 1982, fully adjusted for inflation.

Without the support from oil billionaire H.L. Hunt (e.g. in his campaign for Texas Governor in 1962) it is fairly clear to me that Edwin Walker was indeed, a "pauper" until his Army pension was finally restored.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Thanks for helping bringing it back on track. In that sense we are all paupers. He lived a comfortable life with employees, lawyers, and ... . No he was not a pauper irrespective of any later circumstances.

Thanks for helping bringing it back on track. In that sense we are all paupers. He lived a comfortable life with employees, lawyers, and ... . No he was not a pauper irrespective of any later circumstances.

Well, OK, John, any non-land-owning (or non-factory owning) worker is a "pauper" in that sense.

My point was that Walker wasn't a millionaire who could afford to hire his own private army.

On the other hand, H.L. Hunt, the man who financed Walker's campaign for Texas Governor, was a *billionaire* and he would give money to Walker from time to time.

Without his pension, though, it's possible that Walker would have had to move back in with his natal family -- in which case he would have met the formal criterion for a pauper.

I think the question came up regarding whether Gerry Patrick Hemming could rely upon Ex-General Edwin Walker for financial support for Interpen. We know he asked Walker for support -- but this was during the time when newspapers were reporting that Edwin Walker had won yet "another case" against a newspaper for printing the truth about the Ole Miss riots.

The newspapers were making Walker look like a millionaire. The historical fact is that Walker never touched one penny of those "winnings" -- they were all appealed and reversed. Gerry Patrick Hemming never got the cash he was promised.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo