The Education Forum

School musicals

Kerry Dixon

I'm not a music teacher but I hope you won't mind helping an "invader" from the language board!

I worked with the music department last year on a very successful production of the schools edition of Les Miserables. it's inspired us and we are looking ahead to another big production in 2005. The students would like to do something very different, so we would like to move in the direction of a rock style musical. We're considering Fame the Musical - has anyone ever been involved in a production? I'd be grateful for any thoughts, comments or suggestions!

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

We did Fame last year very succesfully. The show only has one reference to the songs from the film / TV but after a while the cast really enjoyed the new songs. There's a lot of part work for the chorus which can go haywire. Set can be minimal and there is plenty of scope to adapt the script / characters to fit you cast. You may have to consider cutting 'Can't keep it down' and the dialogue around it depending on the sensitivities of your cast, audience and particularly your headteacher!

Great fun when it all comes together!

Hope this is not too late for you. We put on a production of Les Mis in 2003 and this year followed it with 'Crazy for You'. It was a huge success and the lively jazz music went down superbly with the audience. We are very lucky to have an excellent jazz band at school and some outstanding dancers - the latter being a must for this show.

Hope this helps! B)

Edited by Liza Field

I am currently missing a rehearsal for our college production of "Rocky Horror". Before anyone suggests it I am not playing a monster, rather I am playing bass in the band.

Any queries about it from music teachers I can pass on to our gloriously computer illiterate music department :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

The old 70s musicals are undergoing a bit of a revival. We just did Jesus Christ Superstar which was great. Godspell was last year. Good old Grease gets an airing now and again as does Joseph. Little shop of Horrors is my personal favourite which we've done twice.

We found the Rocky Monster Show needed something of a script and musical rewrite to make it accessible to he audience.

Great fun though :). In comparison to my debut on the electric bass guitar Ofsted will be a cinch ;)