The Education Forum

(A9) Other Costs

John Simkin

In my view, we have waste money in Domain/Webspace in E-HELP. I think we can get by with less money.

Hiring of meeting rooms and ICT facilities for meetings: 9,000 euros? No idea about it ;)

In my view, we have waste money in Domain/Webspace in E-HELP. I think we can get by with less money.

I agree. E-HELP also set aside 3,250 euros for a Forum. We can get this free via this Forum.

At our meeting in Worthing, Janos suggested that he could deal with the Domain/Webspace issue. Therefore we will have to wait for him to tell us what this might cost us.

Money for materials' translation into English.

This is a very important issue and deserves its own thread (I will start one later today).

Currently, the plan is to create the material in English with certain material in the language of the author. Therefore, given the membership of the project, some of the material will be in Spanish, French, Italian, Swedish, Portuguese and Hungarian. We also plan to use the E-HELP idea of associate membership. This will enable us to obtain accounts of citizenship being taught in other European countries. In this way we can insure that part of the citizenship project is in German, Dutch, etc.

It will of course be incredibly expensive to get the whole of the website translated into all the main European languages. One alternative is to pay members of the project (days contributed) to translate the material from English.

I agree. E-HELP also set aside 3,250 euros for a Forum. We can get this free via this Forum.

At our meeting in Worthing, Janos suggested that he could deal with the Domain/Webspace issue. Therefore we will have to wait for him to tell us what this might cost us.

Sorry for this delayed message. Well, here comes the cost I have calculated.

250 MB webspace: EUR 189

500 MB webspace: EUR 290

750 MB webspace: EUR 377

1000 MB webspace: EUR 435

These webspaces would go with a free domain name registration and they contain MySQL database, and I could install almost any kind of Content Management System like for instance MOODLE. (see e.g. http://www.eltandict.com/mosaic/ )

To cover the cost of Internet usage would be a good way of rewarding project members for their work.

If you share Pedro's views please post details of yearly cost of internet usage.

This varies significantly across Europe and is likely to change in future. I'd estimate 1000-1500 Euros per person, per year. Remember if the budget is approved you can always spend it on something else. You do not need approval to move money within cost centres. You need permission if you wish to vary your expenditure by more than 10% between cost centres. Direct costs with its four sub sections is one cost centre. That said, to get the project approved and to keep the auditors happy I think it makes sense to stick as close as possible to your initial budget and to any changes proposed in the interim 'progress report'.

To cover the cost of Internet usage would be a good way of rewarding project members for their work.

If you share Pedro's views please post details of yearly cost of internet usage.

Yes, I think it could be a good solution. The main problem with civil servants is that we don't get any personal reward for our work.