The Education Forum

University of Paisley

Paula Cowan

Many apologies for this- I was hoping that I could be involved in your project but my Dean has now contacted me to say that I am not allowed to do so as writing up my current research is a total priority. I'm sure you understand the demands of RAE submission.

My remaining university work is heavily tied up with lecturing- and any personal time I have is already committed to my existing consultancy work.

So sorry to let you down so late in the day.

Many apologies for this- I was hoping that I could be involved in your project but my Dean has now contacted me to say that I am not allowed to do so as writing up my current research is a total priority.

I'm sure you understand the demands of RAE submission.

My remaining university work is heavily tied up with lecturing- and any personal time I have is already committed to my existing consultancy work.

So sorry to let you down so late in the day.

This is a very serious matter. University of Paisley was one of our 3 teacher training institutions. Does anyone know anyone willing to replace Paula? I could probably get someone from the UK. However, we should find an institution is based in a country different from one that is already covered. As Paula was one of only two women in the project, ideally it should be a female candidate. We have only got a few days to get a replacement.

Update on this situation.

In have contacted Dora Nousia about replacing Paula Cowan. She originally put herself forward to join the project but then ceased to be active.

This was her original posting:

Dora Nousia, 38, Associate Director of CTI’s eLearning Sector, computer engineer. Manager of large projects on the utilization of Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) for hundreds of schools in Greece and abroad. She has led large teams of teacher trainers and software developers, as well as technical supporters and administration personnel, and has worked with public administration institutions, the Ministry of education, pedagogical institutions, Universities, software development teams and companies.

She was the consultant for studies for the application of e-learning to the entire Greek educational system, e.g. she has conducted the Technical Support Study for ten thousand schools of the Greek Ministry of Education, she has designed and managed the pilot project e-Omogeneia (2002-2005) involving computer supported collaborative distance learning and communication for Greek schools all over the world.

She has a strong scientific background in natural language engineering and years of experience in managing R&D projects. She had designed and implemented software for automated language tools, and information retrieval systems.

Senior manager at the Educational Technology Sector of the Research Academic Computer Technology Institute (RA CTI) (1998-todate).

Manager of Research Unit "Software Engineering and Applications" of RA CTI (1994-1998).

Educated in the University of Patras, Computer Engineering Dept.(1984-1989).

Born in Ipiros, Greece. Has 2 children.

Pedro has suggested two teacher trainers he knows from Belgium. He is currently exploring this possibility.

Both Andy Davies and I have contacts at the University of Sussex and the University of Brighton. However, at this stage I think we should concentrate getting a woman from a country that is not currently represented.

I have just contacted Charo Requejo from CAP Alcorcón (Teachers' training institution). She will call me back tomorrow to tell me about its institution's availability for joining the project.

CAP of Alcorcón is not available for joining the project. So, let's hope that the Belgian institution joins in.

I'm sending you the message from my Belgium partner.

I think that her colleague can participate if the project budget includes some money for English translation.

I have the same opinion. I know English but I don't have enough time to spend writing case-studies and other documents in English. I am in this project because I think it's very interesting. However, I don't intend to pay the translation from my pocket. So, if the project does not include some money for translations, I'm very sorry but, I'm out of the project.

Pedro

I don't know yet the answer of Rosalie.

I have a question: do you think that it could be possible to find in the budget, a part of money for good translation in English?

If it is possible, maybe my colleage would be reassured. Could you find this new information ?

For the rest, I think that it's possible for her to participate.

We will see.

Do I have 1 or 2 days more to find someone else, if necessary? Because, I find this project very interesting.

Best regards,

Martine

I'm sending you the message from my Belgium partner.

I think that her colleague can participate if the project budget includes some money for English translation.

I have the same opinion. I know English but I don't have enough time to spend writing case-studies and other documents in English. I am in this project because I think it's very interesting. However, I don't intend to pay the translation from my pocket. So, if the project does not include some money for translations, I'm very sorry but, I'm out of the project.

If Pedro drops out of the project we will have to find two teacher training institutions in the next couple of days. I suspect that will be impossible and the application will not be submitted.

Of course it is possible to allocate funds for translating material. That is for all of us to decide. That is why this section of the Forum was set up. I have been surprised by the lack of input by members. As it stands at the moment, it is impossible for Andy and myself to fill in the application form. Please give as much time as possible over the next couple of days to this task. I will then give over a full day to filling in the application form. However, if I don’t have the necessary information to do this, I will myself have to withdraw from the project.

(1) Institutions

It needs to be stressed that this is a project that involves institutions. It is possible for the institution to select who they want to complete some of the necessary tasks.

(2) Language Skills

From my experience, it will be very difficult for any individual to play a full role in the project without having the ability to communicate in English. For example, someone who cannot write in English is currently unable to shape the writing of the application form via this Forum.

(3) Translation

I accept that some members will have difficulty in translating their “overviews” and “case-studies” in English. It is of course possible to include translation costs in our application. Therefore, please post details of your needs here:

Other Costs

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6033

Languages

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=6048

The posting should include an estimation of costs for this translation.

Whatever total figure we end up with will have to come from somewhere else in our application bid. The three major places where this can come from is member’s own days, the costs of inviting visitors to our meetings and the contracting out of people writing “overviews” and “case-studies” from non-member countries (Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, etc.) Please express your opinions on this in the relevant threads.

(1) Institutions

It needs to be stressed that this is a project that involves institutions. It is possible for the institution to select who they want to complete some of the necessary tasks.

(2) Language Skills

From my experience, it will be very difficult for any individual to play a full role in the project without having the ability to communicate in English. For example, someone who cannot write in English is currently unable to shape the writing of the application form via this Forum.

(3) Translation

I accept that some members will have difficulty in translating their “overviews” and “case-studies” in English. It is of course possible to include translation costs in our application. Therefore, please post details of your needs here:

Whatever total figure we end up with will have to come from somewhere else in our application bid. The three major places where this can come from is member’s own days, the costs of inviting visitors to our meetings and the contracting out of people writing “overviews” and “case-studies” from non-member countries (Germany, Austria, Czech Republic, Bulgaria, etc.) Please express your opinions on this in the relevant threads.

The situation is quite critical. I agree that all members need to have the ability to communicate in English, while the material they produce could be just translated (or revised) by others. I took part in a project (a Minerva one) where there were only 3 partners, while many people were gradually involved to translate the material that was being produced into as many languages as possible. I think they got to 11 languages at the end.

Of course, the amount of material to be translated was not so huge, but selection criteria can be established as to what / how much needs to be translated into English.

The main point, in my opinion, is that we absolutely need people interested in the project.

I find the idea of inviting visitors very good: I think it was the same for the E-HELP project.

My colleague from Belgium is trying to find someone interested in this project and able to communicate in English.

Message from Martine:

My colleague doesn't want to participate because, she doesn't speak English as good as you ask. For me, it's actually impossible. I'm coordinator in some other projects.

If you don't receive any information from me until Friday the 17th of February, you could understand that our institution, with regrets, don't participate to your very interesting project.

I'm looking to find someone else tomorrow and Friday.

The meeting with Andy today to fill in the application form has been cancelled. We will meet up when we have managed to find a woman from a teacher institution that can communicate in English.

Martine Chevalier has just informed me that she has found someone to join our project: Christiane Berton-Heinen. When I get her full details I will fill in the application form. Please add your final comments on the different threads. Especially concerning the way we are going to have to find money from other sections to pay for the translations.

Good news.

Any information about Christiane Berton-Heinen's institution? Sort of institution? Where in Belgium?

Good news.

Any information about Christiane Berton-Heinen's institution? Sort of institution? Where in Belgium?

I am awaiting this information. I will post it as soon as I get it.

Sorry to be out in these critical moments, but was out of technology. I do hope we can indeed find the right partners.