The Education Forum

(A12) Subcontracting

John Simkin

Andy and myself have spent today trying to complete the application form. Subcontracting caused as a major headache.

Based on the comments made in the various threads we have decided on the following. If you have any strong views please let me know in the next 20 hours as I hope to complete the form by midday on Thursday.

Subcontracting 1:

Translation of the project website into German, Spanish, Portuguese, Swedish, French, Italian and Hungarian.

Number of person days = 240

Cost per day (€) = 150

Total cost = 36,000

Subcontract 2:

Accounts of how citizenship is taught in 15 different European countries (not including England, Sweden, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Hungary, Belgium, France as they will be covered by members of the project). Overviews and at least one case-study.

Number of person days = 120

Cost per day (€) = 150

Total Cost = 18,000

Subcontract 3:

Seven speakers on citizenship at our meetings. Probably, good examples of case-studies in Europe.

Number of person days = 28

Cost per day (€) = 300

Flights, Hotels, Food = 4,452

Total Cost = 12,852

I have not a view of the whole of the budget and cannot calculate properly, but what about inviting more experts? The number of experts budgeted is quite inferior to EHELP's

I have not a view of the whole of the budget and cannot calculate properly, but what about inviting more experts? The number of experts budgeted is quite inferior to EHELP's

I also want to ask more experts. However, after the points made by several members about the problems of writing in English and the need to employ translators I decided to give this top priority. This sum was very difficult to calculate because at this stage we have no real idea how much material we will have on the website.

As we have made a firm commitment to make the website available in eight different languages (I am sure Brussels will be very impressed with this) and overviews and case-studies from 23 European countries, I have had to allow a large sum of money to do this.

Hopefully, I have overestimated how much the translations will cost and with the money saved we can bring more visitors to the meetings.

I have also been generous with the money allocated to people to write up overviews and case-studies. It may be possible to save money in this area as well.

The key thing is that we deliver the commitments that we make. If we do that, we will have the best multilingual website on Citizenship on the internet. I see speakers as very much a luxury. I value them very much and hopefully we can bring more than seven to the meetings.

Don't forget that we're emphasising ICT in this too. My goal is to get everyone up to speed with on-line meetings within a few months of the start of the project. Once we're all experienced with that, it's a relatively easy thing to get outside experts to participate via the network.

The presentation I did in Gothenburg last September, for example, could easily have been done via Marratech (except that I'd have missed your company!).

I'm not saying 'cut out all visits by experts', but perhaps we can get more for our money if we combine face-to-face with ICT-based contributions.

Don't forget that we're emphasising ICT in this too. My goal is to get everyone up to speed with on-line meetings within a few months of the start of the project. Once we're all experienced with that, it's a relatively easy thing to get outside experts to participate via the network.

The presentation I did in Gothenburg last September, for example, could easily have been done via Marratech (except that I'd have missed your company!).

I agree but we can only do this after members receive their computers, headsets, etc. in March, 2007.

I have also been generous with the money allocated to people to write up overviews and case-studies. It may be possible to save money in this area as well.

The key thing is that we deliver the commitments that we make. If we do that, we will have the best multilingual website on Citizenship on the internet. I see speakers as very much a luxury. I value them very much and hopefully we can bring more than seven to the meetings.

Maybe we can pay some of the teachers who write overviews or case-studies by inviting them to some meetings. It is a good way of saving money and meeting new collegues.