The Education Forum

Was Lee Oswald in Montreal in 1963?

So not to divert the 'Michel Mertz' thread, I thought the exploration of whether or not Lee Oswald was in Montreal in the summer of 1963 might be worthwhile.

An FBI file was generated regarding this as were several photographs showing members of the Committee for Non Violent Action. This image below is one of them. It should be noted that over the many years this question has been raised, the FBI have thwarted efforts to get the document and photographs released, or to release the names of those involved. Photocopies of the photographs and the document now appear on the BLOG mentioned in the 'Michel Mertz' thread.

The CNVA did have an archive of photographs of this and other events they were associated with which were stored in a barn in rural Connecticut. The barn was burned down by Minutemen in 1967 destroying everything.

It is my opinion that the 'Oswald in Montreal' episode was an infiltration operation and designed to help paint the picture of Oswald as a pro-Cuba supporter. I also do not think the Oswald in Montreal was the Oswald that was shot by Jack Ruby. I have no idea why this piece of the puzzle was not introduced into the final structure of the Oswald frame.

The people in the photograph below include some interesting folk. On the left we have Bruce Henderson, Erica Enzer, (FNU) Seeling, Brad Lyttle, Fred Moore, unknown, unknown, unknown, Dennis Jamieson and Russell McLarry.

McLarry was arrested in Dallas just after the assassination for making threats against the President. He was eventually no billed but his presence in Canada has not been fully explained.

I also believe it was Erica Enza and McLarry who befriended the Oswald impersonator who quite possibly was Fred Moore. After the CNVA Ottawa-Washington-Guantanamo march, he moved to the Polaris Action Farm in Connecticut and married Suzi Williams. They had a baby, split and Moore moved to San Francisco. He married again and in 1997 while driving with his new family, was killed in a car crash.

It is also interesting to note that in October of 1961, thirty marchers including thirteen Americans walked into Moscow. This was a peace march that began in San Francisco. Two of the organizers were CNVA members Brad Lyttle and Scott Herrick. This was a very active group back in the early 1960's.

FWIW.

James

Edited by James Richards

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO

I think you are uncovering some amazing stuff here James. This is the smoke screen in its infancy that you are describing in some recent topics.

Fascinating to me because the smoke 'generators' had such established ties to the Mississippi Sovereignty Commisssion and related groupings. It adds the general manager of key west airport (see chap7 last investigation) as he describes an event that is actually logged from the airport in the MSC files.(see msc topic) It names persons and state bodies. And establishes a direct link from Oswalds world to the offices of the MSC in Jackson, Mississippi and to the head governing bodies of New Orleans, Louisiana.

Hi John:

The above information has been provided by a gentleman by the name of

Maurice Philipps...it is from his blog, and was discussed in a thread

on the JFKresearch forum, the end of March /06.

He has written a book called....

" De Dallas a' Montreal: La Filiere Montrealaise dans L'assassinat de JFK."

The book has as yet not been translated into English..

His site..

I HAVE SOME SECRETS FOR YOU

By Maurice Philipps

http://somesecretsforyou.blogspot.com/

Quebec-Washington-Guantanomo walk for Peace

Mr. Bradford Lyttle was one of the organizers of the march .

I wrote to Mr.Lyttle and this was his reply, he seemed a very kind and

Honest gentleman..this is the information he supplied about the photo ,I

sent him from Mr.Phillips site..

Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 08:40:56 -0600

To: "Bernice" <bmooreXXXXXXXXXXXX>

From "Brad Lyttle"XXXXXXXXXAdd to Address Book

Subject: Re: Montreal

Dear Bernice Moore--

In the photo, left to right, as far as I can recall: 1 Bruce Henderson, 2 Erica Enzer,

3 I do not know, 4 Bradford Lyttle, 5 possibly Fred Moore, 6 I do not know,

7 I do not know, 8 I do not know, 9 possibly Dennis Jameison, 10 I do not know.

I do not recall anyone associated with the Walk who identified himself as Lee Harvey Oswald.--

Sincerely, Brad Lyttle

These links and information below on McLarry were also posted on the JFKresearch F.

For anyone interested.

McLarry worked at the Dahlgren Mfg Co.three blocks from the Trade Mart....he said he was only fooling..Information from Vince Palamara..

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/03/VP/doc2.txt

http://spot.acorn.net/jfkplace/03/VP/0002-VP.html

Other sources..

http://www.jfk-online.com/jpsjmbljs.html

http://cuban-exile.com/doc_226-250/doc0244.html

I did a search for info on Mr. Bradford Lyttle.....he was a dedicated

pacifist .....very serious.....Anyone interested just google his name.

Here is just one link, his photo is also included within some others.. from

1965.....He may have been on the marches, but from all I have read

he would not have had anything to do with any violence..He was involved

in the first march against Nam also.. and within many others.

Bradford Lyttle

http://www.fermentmagazine.org/Bio/newleft2.html

B.. B)

Edited by Bernice Moore

Bernice,

Hi John:

The above information has been provided by a gentleman by the name of

Maurice Philipps...it is from his blog, and was discussed in a thread

on the JFKresearch forum, the end of March /06.

Maurice has been posting in the alt.assassination.jfk newsgroup as recently as last month as well.

Steve Thomas

So not to divert the 'Michel Mertz' thread, I thought the exploration of whether or not Lee Oswald was in Montreal in the summer of 1963 might be worthwhile.

An FBI file was generated regarding this as were several photographs showing members of the Committee for Non Violent Action. This image below is one of them. It should be noted that over the many years this question has been raised, the FBI have thwarted efforts to get the document and photographs released, or to release the names of those involved. Photocopies of the photographs and the document now appear on the BLOG mentioned in the 'Michel Mertz' thread.

The CNVA did have an archive of photographs of this and other events they were associated with which were stored in a barn in rural Connecticut. The barn was burned down by Minutemen in 1967 destroying everything.

It is my opinion that the 'Oswald in Montreal' episode was an infiltration operation and designed to help paint the picture of Oswald as a pro-Cuba supporter. I also do not think the Oswald in Montreal was the Oswald that was shot by Jack Ruby. I have no idea why this piece of the puzzle was not introduced into the final structure of the Oswald frame.

The people in the photograph below include some interesting folk. On the left we have Bruce Henderson, Erica Enzer, (FNU) Seeling, Brad Lyttle, Fred Moore, unknown, unknown, unknown, Dennis Jamieson and Russell McLarry.

McLarry was arrested in Dallas just after the assassination for making threats against the President. He was eventually no billed but his presence in Canada has not been fully explained.

I also believe it was Erica Enza and McLarry who befriended the Oswald impersonator who quite possibly was Fred Moore. After the CNVA Ottawa-Washington-Guantanamo march, he moved to the Polaris Action Farm in Connecticut and married Suzi Williams. They had a baby, split and Moore moved to San Francisco. He married again and in 1997 while driving with his new family, was killed in a car crash.

It is also interesting to note that in October of 1961, thirty marchers including thirteen Americans walked into Moscow. This was a peace march that began in San Francisco. Two of the organizers were CNVA members Brad Lyttle and Scott Herrick. This was a very active group back in the early 1960's.

FWIW.

James

James, your knowledge of minutia surrounding these matters boggles the mind. Great stuff.

Bernice, thanks for the info and links.

Edited by Mark Stapleton

Ryan Crowe and I have been working on the possibility that a sniper team was set up near the Trade Mart in case Dealey Plaza was aborted. It is possible that Russell McLarry would have been the patsy in that scenario.

FWIW.

James

James.

McLarry was initially held in solitary confinement (they "didn't want anything to happen to him") but was soon out on bail.

The Grand Jury did not recommend indictment following their investigation which concluded on or about the 10t of Jan, 1964.

After initial arrest, he had described himself a conservative. He denied to the Grand Jury he'd ever told the Secret Service he was glad Kennedy had been shot. He claimed all he had said was that he should have been impeached.

I like where you're going with the 2nd patsy theory... long suspected by some, but without any solid foundation.

Ryan Crowe and I have been working on the possibility that a sniper team was set up near the Trade Mart in case Dealey Plaza was aborted. It is possible that Russell McLarry would have been the patsy in that scenario.

FWIW.

James

James.

McLarry was initially held in solitary confinement (they "didn't want anything to happen to him") but was soon out on bail.

The Grand Jury did not recommend indictment following their investigation which concluded on or about the 10t of Jan, 1964.

After initial arrest, he had described himself a conservative. He denied to the Grand Jury he'd ever told the Secret Service he was glad Kennedy had been shot. He claimed all he had said was that he should have been impeached.

I like where you're going with the 2nd patsy theory... long suspected by some, but without any solid foundation.

Forgot to add a few things... his middle name was Wince (no joke), he admitted owning 3 weapons but they were allegedly kept at his parent place (he obviously didn't know about Ruth Paine's Rifle Storage Facility :ph34r: )

and he died early Nov, 2002. Haven't found the cause yet.

Edited by Greg Parker

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread.

Yes Greg, he did deny the statements and his dad weighed in saying that he was just a dumb kid trying to talk tough. I suspect that is exactly what McLarry was, someone easily manipulated.

The research into the second patsy scenario is moving slowly but I think McLarry as a contender was abandoned much in the way the Oswald in Montreal set-up was. What is curious though is the possibility of secondary snipers near the Trade Mart.

FWIW.

James

Thanks to everyone who has responded to this thread.

Yes Greg, he did deny the statements and his dad weighed in saying that he was just a dumb kid trying to talk tough. I suspect that is exactly what McLarry was, someone easily manipulated.

The research into the second patsy scenario is moving slowly but I think McLarry as a contender was abandoned much in the way the Oswald in Montreal set-up was. What is curious though is the possibility of secondary snipers near the Trade Mart.

FWIW.

James

James,

Just putting this one back at the top of the queue. Perhaps Maurice Phillips may care to comment. This is a very solid thread and interesting. Snipes is an interesting subject as a possible. Perhaps more on McLarry's background would be helpful to appreciate the logic of his selection.

Russell, 339. Nagell added, "The bookstore was located in Venice and [Vaughn] Snipes was the proprietor. Snipes, who once boasted that he was a good shot with a rifle, was considered for recruitment to hit JFK in June 1963 during his visit to the Beverly Hills hotel. That 'project' never materialized" (Russell, 334). In an interview with Dick Russell, Snipes seemed to find Nagell's claim very credible, even if the evidence suggests that Nagell, rather than investigating Snipes, may well have simply been assisting him in political activities with which he was sympathetic (Russell, 335-6).

- lee

Just putting this one back at the top of the queue. Perhaps Maurice Phillips may care to comment. This is a very solid thread and interesting. Snipes is an interesting subject as a possible. Perhaps more on McLarry's background would be helpful to appreciate the logic of his selection.

Well, I wouldn't like anybody to perceive me as someone who knows everything on all aspects of the JFK assassination. Very humbly, I may know less than many of you. The only difference is that I know a few different things because I had a more regional interest in the case, that is an interest in things related to Montreal. So, I "may care to comment", but if I don't, please don't be offended, it just might be because I have nothing really pertinent to add.

Len Colby didn't seems to understand why I wasn't putting my name on every pages of my blog B) . It is because I'm not this thrilled to put my name out publicly and that I'm not motivated by publicity. I don't have a very big ego and, please don't trap me in thinking that I am important :huh: .

Incidently, maybe someone here can help the ignorant that I am. (Or perhaps my innocent question will help others to be critical about some unfounded conclusions.) I may have missed something but where is the hard evidence about Russell McLarry being on the Quebec-Washington-Guantanamo walk picture? Is there a solid source for his identification? Or does McLarry just look alike the peace walker?

Thanks,

Well, I wouldn't like anybody to perceive me as someone who knows everything on all aspects of the JFK assassination. Very humbly, I may know less than many of you. The only difference is that I know a few different things because I had a more regional interest in the case, that is an interest in things related to Montreal. So, I "may care to comment", but if I don't, please don't be offended, it just might be because I have nothing really pertinent to add.

Len Colby didn't seems to understand why I wasn't putting my name on every pages of my blog B) . It is because I'm not this thrilled to put my name out publicly and that I'm not motivated by publicity. I don't have a very big ego and, please don't trap me in thinking that I am important :huh: .

Incidently, maybe someone here can help the ignorant that I am. (Or perhaps my innocent question will help others to be critical about some unfounded conclusions.) I may have missed something but where is the hard evidence about Russell McLarry being on the Quebec-Washington-Guantanamo walk picture? Is there a solid source for his identification? Or does McLarry just look alike the peace walker?

Thanks,

Hello Maurice.

Understood. Can't answer that one, speaking for myself - sure bears a strong visual resemblance - however I wonder what could have been so important in a one page document from Charles Stanley that could have prompted someone to pull it?

AGENCY INFORMATION

AGENCY : DOJ

RECORD NUMBER : 179-20002-10366

RECORDS SERIES : CLASSIFIED SUBJECT FILE 129-11, OFFICIAL MAIL SECT. 1B

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : FBI

TO : [No To]

TITLE : [No Title]

DATE : 12/19/1963

PAGES : 1

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER, TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : MCLARRY, RUSSELL

CLASSIFICATION : UNCLASSIFIED

RESTRICTIONS : REFERRED

CURRENT STATUS : POSTPONED IN FULL

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 00/00/0000

COMMENTS : BOX 55

Another possibly interesting one...

AGENCY : CIA

RECORD NUMBER : 104-10114-10158

RECORDS SERIES : JFK

AGENCY FILE NUMBER : 80T01357A

DOCUMENT INFORMATION

ORIGINATOR : STAT

TO : CHIEF/RESEARCH BRANCH

TITLE : MEMO ON THE OSWALD CASE.

DATE : 12/30/1963

PAGES : 3

DOCUMENT TYPE : PAPER - TEXTUAL DOCUMENT

SUBJECTS : BALLEN, SAMUEL; DEMOHRENSCHILDT; MCLARRY, R.W.;

OSWALD, L H

CLASSIFICATION :

RESTRICTIONS : 1A

DATE OF LAST REVIEW : 08/17/1993

COMMENTS : JFK41 : F15 : 1993.08.17.09:41:50:590064 :

Mary Ferrell's has one RIF: 104-10419-10016, but I can't access it. Tried to join but it weren'teasy.

- lee

Is there any reality behind Jean-Paul Tremblay’s report? Why was the FBI report on Oswald’s apparition in Montreal suppressed for so many years?

At first view, when we know how much effort the Warren Commission and the FBI have investED to study Oswald every moves, we would think that the answer to Tremblay’s report would be: “We know as a fact that Oswald wasn’t in Montreal at this date, we had reports placing him in New Orleans.” But, even if the FBI tried to discredit Tremblay’s report with affirmation that Oswald, in June 1963, was working in N.O., at William Reily Coffee Co., the problem that still persist is that: 1) the FBI made, voluntarily or not, a poor job at determining the time of the Oswald in Montreal sighting; and 2) the FBI information about Oswald’s activity at the most probable time for his Montreal presence is quite weak. If we pay attention to those 2 points, we may find that there is indeed a possibility that Oswald’s known whereabouts doesn’t rule out the possibility that he might have traveled to Montreal in spring 1963.

Let see a few excerpts from the FBI report:

“(…) Jean Paul Tremblay, Investigator, Customs and Excise, Montreal said on November 27, 1963, that he, Tremblay, had received one of the above—mentioned pamphlets from a man St. Jacques Street in Montreal. He said he believed this incident occurred in August, 1963, and he, Tremblay, is positive this individual was LEE OSWALD. According to Mr. Chasse, Tremblay said OSWALD at the time was accompanied by a short, homely, heavy woman who took unusually long steps when walking and by two men about the same age and weight as OWALD.”

“Photographs of persons participating in the Quebec-Washington-Guantanamo Walk for Peace in Montreal on June 7 and 8, 1963, were shown to Mr. Tremblay and he positively identified two of them as having been engaged in the distribution of leaflets on the day in question. One of the persons he positively identified was the woman referred to by Chasse in his letter to the Secret Service. The other person identified by Tremblay was believed by the agency making the above inquiry to be a Mr. Fred Moore of San Antonio, Texas.”

In the second excerpt there is a clever deception (or a embarrassing mistake) that you can detect only if you look at the photographs and if you have more background information on the QWG walk. The photos were not taken in Montreal, but in some countryside at an unspecified location. They may show persons that have participated at some events in Montreal, but the pictures were not taken during those events. The reality is that the pictures in the countryside were taken on June 7 and 8 but the QWG leaved town days earlier, around May 26. So inferring that Oswald was seen at the date the picture where shot is grossly deceptive.

So, even if Tremblay guessed he saw Oswald in August 1963, and even if the FBI placed this sighting in June, according to the chronology of the Québec-Washington-Guantanamo Peace Walk the only time when Tremblay could have seen Oswald leafleting with Fred Moore or Erika Enzer (the lady that Tremblay identified on picture) would be prior to the walk, thus before May 26, 1963.

The interesting thing is that this is one of the rare periods where Oswald whereabouts are poorly accounted for. In May, Oswald had left Dallas for New Orleans and had supposedly start to work for William B. Reily Coffee Co on May 15. But there is not a lot of witnesses and reports to corroborate Oswald was in New Orleans all of the time in May. John Newman, in Oswald and the CIA made a good case of showing that it is unclear exactly when the FBI knew of Oswald presence in N.O. at that time and that at least in one instance they were wrong on the date of his employment with Reily.

Newman wrote on page 288 of his book:

“Then something strange happened : the FBI lost track of Oswald for two months, from April 24, through June 26. These dates cover Oswald’s move to New Orleans and his first month of FPCC activity there.”

Newman also noted that there is at least one instance in which a FBI report about Oswald employment with Reily was giving a false date. At page 348, Newman wrote:

”On September 10, 1963, Special Agent Hosty sent a report to the Bureau and to New Orleans. (…) Hosty then said Oswald had been working at the William Reily Coffe Company on August 5. He apparently did not know that Oswald had been fired from his job at Reily Coffee on July 19.”

In addition of this foggy period in Oswald's chronology, another curious fact tends to give credibility to the possibility that Oswald took a trip to Montreal at this time. On May 29, just after his hypothetical return from Montreal, Oswald used the name “Osborne” when ordering FPCC handbill in New Orleans. The curious things are that: 1) Osborne was the name of Oswald’s companion on his us trip to Mexico, and 2) that Osborne was from Montreal. That opens many questions: Did Oswald knew Osborne during his spring trip to Montreal? Did Osborne travel to Montreal with Oswald just as he did when Oswald got to Mexico to visit the Cuban embassy? Was Osborne, in Montreal, an handler of Oswald in his FPCC penetration activities?

In conclusion, given Jean-Paul Tremblay’s credibility as a witness (he was a professional investigator); given Aurelien Chassé and Lawrence Fleshman’s endorsement of Tremblay’s account (they were U.S. treasury high officials); given the fact that both RCMP and FBI have not dismissed Tremblay’s account and had made investigative works on its basis; given the hole in Oswald’s whereabouts and his use of the Osborne name that seems to corroborate his contact with this Montrealer; I am in the opinion that Oswald was indeed the man seen by Tremblay in Montreal. Obviously, such a trip wasn’t initiate on his own and had intelligence purposes.