The Education Forum

Ku Klux Klan

Sorry, no hard data on the American Rangers. Looking thru some of the previous entries tho, I expect you would find William Turner's Power on the Right to be an essential source. Like to read it myself someday.

I've read Bill Turner's Power on the Right (1971), and there was precious little on the Rangers, or on Walker for that matter. Great source, though, since it gives us a plausible feel for the right-wing in the 1960's.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

C ooperating groups. — The committee has found abundant evidence

of the cooperation of certain other organizations with the German-

American Bund. This is a more serious matter than is the direct

strength or influence of the bund itself. For example, in August

1938 a so-called anti-Communist convention was held at the bund

headquarters in Los Angeles at which Hermann Schwinn, leader of

the bund on the west coast, was one of the principal speakers; and

Arno Risse, bund leader, who has since fled the country, was one of

the two or three persons' most active in promoting and making

arrangements for the convention. According to the testimony of

Henry D. Allen, one-time Silver Shirt leader, organizer of the

American White Guard, and prominent figure in Fascist circles gen-

erally, the following persons participated in this convention :

Kenneth Alexander, Southern California leader of the Silver Shirts ;

J. H. Peyton, of the American Rangers ; Chas. B. Hudson, of Omaha,

Nebr., organizer and leader of Arnerica Awake, who accompanied

General Moseley when he appeared before the committee ; Mrs. Leslie

Fry, alias Paquita Louise De Shishmareff, mysterious international

figure who has since fled the country, then leader of the Militant

Christian Patriots; representatives of Italian Fascist and Wliite Rus

http://www.archive.org/stream/investigationofu194104unit/investigationofu194104unit_djvu.txt

C ooperating groups. — The committee has found abundant evidence

of the cooperation of certain other organizations with the German-

American Bund. This is a more serious matter than is the direct

strength or influence of the bund itself. For example, in August

1938 a so-called anti-Communist convention was held at the bund

headquarters in Los Angeles at which Hermann Schwinn, leader of

the bund on the west coast, was one of the principal speakers; and

Arno Risse, bund leader, who has since fled the country, was one of

the two or three persons' most active in promoting and making

arrangements for the convention. According to the testimony of

Henry D. Allen, one-time Silver Shirt leader, organizer of the

American White Guard, and prominent figure in Fascist circles gen-

erally, the following persons participated in this convention :

Kenneth Alexander, Southern California leader of the Silver Shirts ;

J. H. Peyton, of the American Rangers ; Chas. B. Hudson, of Omaha,

Nebr., organizer and leader of Arnerica Awake, who accompanied

General Moseley when he appeared before the committee ; Mrs. Leslie

Fry, alias Paquita Louise De Shishmareff, mysterious international

figure who has since fled the country, then leader of the Militant

Christian Patriots; representatives of Italian Fascist and Wliite Rus

http://www.archive.o...04unit_djvu.txt

John, this excerpt from the HUAC of 1944 as Congress studied the fascist right-wing in the USA is interesting.

I do agree that the failure of the Nazi party in Germany did not end the existence of white-supremacy in the world; it only removed white-supremacy from the highest levels of State power. Today the cause of white-supremacy still lingers on in the free marketplace of ideas, protected by the right of Free Speech.

Because of this, many Nazi fanatics who lingered on after Hitler was gone have been able to make inroads in the USA. It stands to reason that some of their most fertile populations would be in the Deep South, where white-supremacy reigned supreme in the 1950's, before the appearance of the Civil Rights era.

When the extreme right-wing would exclaim that Race Integration in the public schools was Communist -- this was something that the Deep South never heard before. It was probably Nazi ideologists who migrated from Germany after WW2, and settled in the Deep South, that began to publish ideas like this.

Naturally, the ideas would catch on immediately. America and England were increasingly lined up against the USSR, our former ally in WW2, so that Anticommunism reached the level of a religious fervor in the USA by 1948.

So, when the Deep South began to say that Race Integration is Communist, they immediately got a hearing -- they obtained a level of credibililty that the KKK never had. The KKK had previously only preached that Race Integration is Satanic and would burn crosses on people's property.

The New Right, following the dregs of the Nazi party, now preached that Race Integration is Communist. and so took on a new life. Not only the White Citizens' Councils, but the John Birch Society and countless Christian Segregation groups, usually started by Reverend Carl MacIntire, Billy James Hargis, Fred Schwarz or their many imitators -- all these would rise up to oppose the Race Integration of public schools mandated by the Supreme Court in 1954 (Brown v. The Board of Education).

Nazi ideology colored all aspects of the right-wing after 1945. The Catholic Priest, Father Coughlin, would preach the most vile Antisemitic drivel in the USA before WW2 -- but after WW2 he stepped up his efforts, and it was obvious how much he had learned from Joseph Goebbels.

We do well to remember that Hitler did not rise to power mainly on the basis of Antisemitism, but on Anticommunism. In the middle of the 20th century, as Hitler proved, a person could get away with almost any drivel or any crime, as long as one railed against Communism. Anticommunism was the real secret of Hitler's rise to power.

Racists in the USA would try to follow the pattern that Hitler made. If you want to hold down a certain race (e.g. Jewish people) then simply spread the lie that they are all Communists. That would get the ball rolling immediately. And that's exactly what the White Citizens' Councils did in the 1950's -- they spread the lie that Black Americans who demanded Civil Rights were all Communists. That mobilized milllions of Americans against the Civil Rights movement.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

I just wish there were more I could've done to help you, but you're not an easy man to work for.

Daniel, the KKK involvement in the JFK assassination is drastically underexplored in JFK literature. I am not able to find adequate connections, despite my efforts, and I appreciate every effort that others make on this topic.

So far, the reports from Terri Williams are the most valuable I've seen. She grew up in Terry, Mississippi and she reports that her home town was dominated by the KKK. She also reports that Guy Banister was a known visitor to her town, and specifically to her family's dinners. Banister, after retiring from the FBI, became a leader in the White Citizens' Council, as well as the Louisiana Minutemen.

Guy Banister recruited KKK members from Terry, Mississippi for training at Lake Pontcharttrain (which was located on Carlos Marcello's property) near New Orleans. Guy Banister, also the director of the Anticommunist League of the Carribean, drafted the KKK into the Anticommunist movement with the slogan that "Race Integration is Communist." The way to keep Black people down, he preached, was to destroy Communism in Cuba.

With this teaching, evidently, and by Terri Williams' account, Guy Banister recruited many young, armed KKK men to join Cuban Exiles for a new Bay of Pigs. When JFK openly outlawed such movements, the KKK became convinced that JFK was actually a Communist, just as the John Birch Society had been saying all along.

If JFK was a Communist, then he was a traitor, and all patriotic men then had to duty to kill JFK. That was Guy Banister's teaching, and those were the lessons that these young KKK boys were taught in 1963.

As a girl, however, Terri Williams could not go very deep into the KKK meetings in her home town. Nevertheless, she believes she knows who the KKK players were -- and even the very shooter of JFK. Terri is now a member of this FORUM, and John Simkin started up her first thread, namely, "JFK and the Klu Klux Klan," several weeks ago.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

I just wish there were more I could've done to help you, but you're not an easy man to work for.

Daniel, the KKK involvement in the JFK assassination is drastically underexplored in JFK literature. I am not able to find adequate connections, despite my efforts, and I appreciate every effort that others make on this topic.

So far, the reports from Terri Williams are the most valuable I've seen. She grew up in Terry, Mississippi and she reports that her home town was dominated by the KKK. She also reports that Guy Banister was a known visitor to her town, and specifically to her family's dinners. Banister, after retiring from the FBI, became a leader in the White Citizens' Council, as well as the Louisiana Minutemen.

Guy Banister recruited KKK members from Terry, Mississippi for training at Lake Pontcharttrain (which was located on Carlos Marcello's property) near New Orleans. Guy Banister, also the director of the Anticommunist League of the Carribean, drafted the KKK into the Anticommunist movement with the slogan that "Race Integration is Communist." The way to keep Black people down, he preached, was to destroy Communism in Cuba.

With this teaching, evidently, and by Terri Williams' account, Guy Banister recruited many young, armed KKK men to join Cuban Exiles for a new Bay of Pigs. When JFK openly outlawed such movements, the KKK became convinced that JFK was actually a Communist, just as the John Birch Society had been saying all along.

If JFK was a Communist, then he was a traitor, and all patriotic men then had to duty to kill JFK. That was Guy Banister's teaching, and those were the lessons that these young KKK boys were taught in 1963.

As a girl, however, Terri Williams could not go very deep into the KKK meetings in her home town. Nevertheless, she believes she knows who the KKK players were -- and even the very shooter of JFK. Terri is now a member of this FORUM, and John Simkin started up her first thread, namely, "JFK and the Klu Klux Klan," several weeks ago.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Do you really think she's credible?

...As a girl, however, Terri Williams could not go very deep into the KKK meetings in her home town. Nevertheless, she believes she knows who the KKK players were -- and even the very shooter of JFK. Terri is now a member of this FORUM, and John Simkin started up her first thread, namely, "JFK and the Klu Klux Klan," several weeks ago.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Do you really think she's credible?

Len, I think that Terri is sincere and mostly credible, although we must allow for some hyperbole in her account. She has tended to over-generalize and jump to conclusions (e.g. the KKK rules the USA) but allowing for those personal perceptions based on the world in which she grew up, yes, I believe she's credible on the topic of the possible KKK involvement in the JFK assassination.

Although Terri believes she knows the shooter of JFK, that cannot be verified. I'm not interested in what cannot be verified, rather, I'm interested in Terri's personal eye-witness account of Guy Banister in her home town, in her grandmother's kitchen, and Guy Banister's lavish praise of her uncle and her cousins (all KKK members) who were so helpful to Banister's many causes.

These are important sociological connections -- and Guy Banister's presence is most relevant.

The lack of final data provided by anybody also opens the possibility that Terri Williams just might be right -- she might really know the identity of the JFK shooter. Yet her proposal must stand in line behind other proposed shooters, like Lee Oswald, Roscoe White, James Files, Johnny Roselli, Eladio del Valle, Loran Hall and so many more. Nobody knows that answer today. All bets are still on.

Short answer -- aside from the flat conclusions, I do find Terri Williams credible, and more, even a valuable addition to our research on Guy Banister.

Also, we can tie all this up with Joachim Joesten's theory that the racist right-wing in the USA was behind the JFK conspiracy.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

Thanks for the update, but I was already aware that Terri Williams is a member of this forum and that John Simkin started a thread for her. I don't know why you put forum in all caps -- maybe to stress that you think The Education Forum is important? or maybe you think simple me should feel that having Terri Williams in this forum is really really important? Maybe it is, but then William Turner has also been a member of this Forum for some time, and in case I didn't make it clear I think extremely highly of the work he did back in the day identifying so many Far Right groups and individuals. I found that the Newtons' Klan Encyclopedia, for instance, heavily sourced Bill's work in Power on the Right.

I'm glad to hear that you appreciate the efforts of others. That's very generous of you. But when I see that John Dolva spent some of his time providing you with relevant information over the last few pages of this thread, only to ultimately be told "nice try" because for some reason you just can't find direct evidence that General Edwin Walker was inclined to be racist........well, one begins to wonder whether or not you're just one of those people here to screw around and waste people's time, for whatever reasons. I submit to you this item from Post #39 of this thread:

Beckwith, Byron de la (after first mistrial in Medgar Evers' murder 7 Feb. 64, Gen. Edwin Walker appeared in court to shake Beckwith's hand, and Beckwith "promptly joined the White Knights of the KKK after his release.")

What do you suppose would have been General Walker's motivation for this? Was Beckwith a buddy or relative of his? Was the general just passing by the courthouse that day?

It's more of the same with the confused associations in your account of the development of Far Right enmity against John F. Kennedy: as if the Ku Klux Klan needed the (attempted) shutting down of Cuban exile paramilitary activities against Castro to convince them that President Kennedy "was actually a Communist, just as the John Birch Society had been saying all along." Throw a bunch of things all in together, jumble them around, and the next thing you know you've got a meaningless pile of Scheisse that no one will take seriously........ Hmmmmm......

Daniel, I'm aware that Walker visited Byron de la Beckwith during his trial for the murder of Medgar Evers, the mentor of James Meredith. I'm also aware that Byron de la Beckwith was one of the most outspoken white-supremacists of his time.

Nor did I ever cast doubt on John Dolva's assertion that -- at some level -- General Walker was a racist. I fully agreed that all of his associates were white-supremacists of one stripe or another.

My only request to John -- and to anybody who can help -- was for a sentence from General Walker himself, whether in his published writings or in a recorded interview or speech, that was blatantly racist.

It's a simple request. It matters for history. I have searched for more than a solid year and can't find one single sentence of white-supremacy in all the collected speeches of ex-General Edwin Walker. That surely doesn't mean that I doubt his committment to his comrades who were all white-supremacists. I'm looking for his own words.

John Dolva, who is one of the most capable researchers I know about, could not locate such a sentence, either. That's valuable because that confirms my own findings.

Nor is my intent to blur the lines of white-supremacy. My intent is to find psychological nuance in the subject under examination. Walker appears to have been a military leader but an intellectual dependent. To disprove this theory I will need some direct statements from the man himself about his beliefs about white-supremacy.

If the nuances in my research are confusing now, I assure you they'll become crystal clear by the time I'm finished.

Regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

''a sentence from General Walker himself, whether in his published writings or in a recorded interview or speech, that was blatantly racist.''

I didn't really look for one. Instead I started the topic ''What is Racism''.

Perhaps the answer (not finding a record) lies in his going into civilian life as a politician.

''a sentence from General Walker himself, whether in his published writings or in a recorded interview or speech, that was blatantly racist.''

I didn't really look for one. Instead I started the topic ''What is Racism''.

Perhaps the answer (not finding a record) lies in his going into civilian life as a politician.

John, this characteristic of Walker goes back to his Army career as well. He was a Commander in Korea, which was the first time that American troops were officially integrated racially (despite the Hollywood mythology). Soldiers interviewed who had served under Walker could not find any reason to charge him with racism or unequal treatment. Walker served until the end of the Korean War.

Walker's complaint about Korea was that it was a "No-win War." It was run from UN Headquarters in Panmunjom, rather than from the Pentagon. That is why Walker also swore that he would never serve in Vietnam.

No -- I can't find any racist remark by him. The fact that Walker was effective and even eloquent in racially integrating Little Rock High School in Arkansas makes my job even more difficult.

I have come to believe that while he was in Arkansas (late 1957 through late 1959) he was assailed by Billy James Hargis, H.L. Hunt and Robert Welch, who all tried to change his mind about what he was doing in Arkansas. After two years of brainwashing, I believe that Walker finally relented and joined the John Birch Society (along with Hargis and Hunt).

I seem to be forced toward a theory that Walker, despite his admirable military leadership, was still an intellectual dependent -- dependent on Hargis, Hunt and Welch. It is generally thought rude to mention the fact, but it may be vital for history -- Walker finished at the bottom 10% of his class at West Point. His learning seemed to extend to the John Birch Society at its highest pinnacle in his life.

I feel fairly confident that Walker was morally torn -- morally uncomfortable -- with his continual association with white-supremacists in his civilian, political career. Yes, he associated with the KKK (i.e. Byron de la Beckwith). No, he never boasted about any membership in the KKK, as one might expect.

Instead he wrote the following note in 1966: http://www.pet880.co...ins_Nothing.JPG

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

That reminded me of a past post:

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

Inequality, disassociation and 'case never closed'

Smashing the mirrors

Code Transmission, electronic dots

3days of the Condor

Data transmission

Data strings: Art as binary

'embedding' string in art

Converting string to art.

Abstract art as information...string is art

nonsense to sense

how to transmit key as nonsense?

embed in utility?

graphics interface as reader of key in public imagery.

multilayered encryption of key and 'message' morphing as per ...?

a sequence trapping patterns according to data date? date>key>data>message

newsflash: see: read: know...?

The assassin as monoscript.

Tailoring solution to craving.

1. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

"Hannibal Lecter: First principles, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?

Clarice Starling: He kills women--

Hannibal Lecter: No! That is incidental. What is the first and principal thing he does, what need does he serve by killing?

Clarice Starling: Anger, social resentment, sexual frustration--

Hannibal Lecter: No, he covets. That's his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer.

Clarice Starling: No. We just--

Hannibal Lecter: No. Precisely. We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? I hardly see how you couldn't. And don't your eyes move over the things you want?"

first principles: What does this person do that we seek? ...kills? --No

what need is served by killing? --Anger, social resentment? --No

No, this person disobeys yet yearns for approval. That's the nature. Through obedience comes acceptance, through obeying an order to kill Kennedy, the disobedience within is stilled. The tone of the times is one of obedience to society. An act of obedience kills the selfquestioning. This, in this context, in Dallas, in the south is an obedience to an anti catholic, anti jew, anti desegregation, anti communist society which is contrary to a deeper nature of empathy and love. Kennedy in this society is disobedient. Kill Kennedy and show the distance between self and disobedience.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5808&pid=162226&st=0entry162226

That reminded me of a past post:

Posted 10 January 2006 - 10:33 AM

Inequality, disassociation and 'case never closed'

Smashing the mirrors

Code Transmission, electronic dots

3days of the Condor

Data transmission

Data strings: Art as binary

'embedding' string in art

Converting string to art.

Abstract art as information...string is art

nonsense to sense

how to transmit key as nonsense?

embed in utility?

graphics interface as reader of key in public imagery.

multilayered encryption of key and 'message' morphing as per ...?

a sequence trapping patterns according to data date? date>key>data>message

newsflash: see: read: know...?

The assassin as monoscript.

Tailoring solution to craving.

1. The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

"Hannibal Lecter: First principles, Clarice. Read Marcus Aurelius. Of each particular thing ask: what is it in itself? What is its nature? What does he do, this man you seek?

Clarice Starling: He kills women--

Hannibal Lecter: No! That is incidental. What is the first and principal thing he does, what need does he serve by killing?

Clarice Starling: Anger, social resentment, sexual frustration--

Hannibal Lecter: No, he covets. That's his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer.

Clarice Starling: No. We just--

Hannibal Lecter: No. Precisely. We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? I hardly see how you couldn't. And don't your eyes move over the things you want?"

first principles: What does this person do that we seek? ...kills? --No

what need is served by killing? --Anger, social resentment? --No

No, this person disobeys yet yearns for approval. That's the nature. Through obedience comes acceptance, through obeying an order to kill Kennedy, the disobedience within is stilled. The tone of the times is one of obedience to society. An act of obedience kills the selfquestioning. This, in this context, in Dallas, in the south is an obedience to an anti catholic, anti jew, anti desegregation, anti communist society which is contrary to a deeper nature of empathy and love. Kennedy in this society is disobedient. Kill Kennedy and show the distance between self and disobedience.

http://educationforu...=0

John, the self-torture that you describe in those verses is only a fraction of the self-torture that I perceive in Edwin Walker.

IMHO, the greatest suffering this man ever endured was over the fact that he was a life-long homosexual and an American General, at a time when it was a court martial offence to be a homosexual.

This was the real strain -- that finally emerged in freedom in Germany -- and was ripped from his hands by his own camoflage, namely, the John Birch Society.

Walker was a closet homosexual -- in the 1960's, when that was a social death sentence. He was pulled into the limelight by people like H.L. Hunt and Billy James Hargis, yet he was always ashamed of his True Self. He had to show himself on the one hand, and he had to hide himself on the other.

To stay in the closet, he had to associate with self-righteous people on the Far Right. Yet his neediness became all-too-apparent. They manipulated him into their ways, which he secretly resisted. But it was too late. He had created his underground life and his over-ground mask, and this was the life he had to play out.

It finally erupted in a spectacle that would remove the spotlight from himself once and for all.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

Edited by Paul Trejo

We're kind of saying the same thing.

''this person disobeys yet yearns for approval. That's the nature.''

We're kind of saying the same thing.

''this person disobeys yet yearns for approval. That's the nature.''

Yes, that's right, John. It also reminds me of something that George Lincoln Rockwell once said about his ANP (American Nazi Party). He was surprised at how many homosexuals were eager to sign up for his Nazi party - perhaps a majority.

There seems to be something about the most extreme right-wing and the obsession to live in a closet that somehow fit together.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

I don't think that that means I agree with a number of your conclusions and in fact Daniel very eloquently in parts expressed precicely some thoughts that I have. What is imperative here is that we find commonalities and work with them. No pissing match is going to solve this in the ned tho I can see sometimes they just happen. Getting past them is more important. If that can be done then it means something.

edit typo

Edited by John Dolva

I don't think that that means I agree with a number of your conclusions and in fact Daniel very eloquently in parts expressed precicely some thoughts that I have. What is imperative here is that we find commonalities and work with them. No pissing match is going to solve this in the ned tho I can see sometimes they just happen. Getting past them is more important. If that can be done then it means something.

edit typo

Your references are a little bit vague, John, but I'll return to Daniel's last post to see what I might have missed.

Daniel asked about the fact that Edwin Walker visited Mississippi in early 1964 to offer comfort to Byron de la Beckwith, the outspoken KKK advocate and the eventually convicted murderer of Civil Rights worker, Medgar Evers on 12 June 1963. It's a poignant portrait.

Daniel asked what I suppose would have been ex-General Edwin Walker's motivation for this? Beckwith was not a relative or old friend (as far as we know). Why did Walker make that trip?

The answer, IMHO, is tied up with the JFK assassination in an indirect manner. First, why was Walker there if Beckwith was not a friend? The news reports of that week show us that the day before Walker's comforting of Beckwith, he was preceded in this same action by former Mississippi Governor Ross Barnett. That is, Ross Barnett, the day before, had visited Beckwith in the same court-house and shook his hand, offered him comfort, and was photographed by newspaper reporters.

That answers the second part of the question -- why was Edwin Walker in Mississippi that day? Walker was in Mississippi in order to meet with Governor Ross Barnett. I am confident in this answer because when ex-General Walker led the riots at Ole Miss on 30 September 1962, and he did this on behalf of Governor Ross Barnett.

As we read in the definitive book on the Ole Miss riots, American Insurrection (2003) by William Doyle, we encounter the tragicomedy that Ross Barnett, who had already made deals with JFK to admit James Meredith into Ole Miss, was nevertheless seduced into grand-standing before the Mississippi public in every speech of that period, insisting that he would never, ever back down to the demands of the Civil Rights movement.

Barnett made this promise to thundering crowds of thousands, and he could not find the courage to tell them the truth -- he had already made a deal with the Kennedy White House.

Edwin Walker in Texas was a great fan of Ross Barnett, and believed every lie that Barnett told the public on the radio and television. So Walker, in respect of Barnett, went on the radio himself, and called for "ten thousand strong from every State in the Union" to join him in Jackson, Mississippi, for a convoy up to Oxford, Mississippi, to confront the Federal Troops that JFK would assign to protect James Meredith as he registered and walked from class to class at Ole Miss.

Walker counted on Barnett to keep his word to the public -- but that was not to be. Mississippi Highway Patrol Chief, Colonel T.B. Birdsong, was stopping all cars with out-of-state license plates, and confiscating all weapons (to be returned upon leaving Mississippi). This put a severe damper on Walker's plans for insurrection.

At about 9PM at Oxford on 30 September 1962, the only weapons held by the thousands of protestors on Walker's (and supposedly Ross Barnett's) side were bricks from a nearby construction site, and an old tractor and an old fire truck. Yet Walker's rioters did use these in their racist protest against one Black student in Ole Miss. Hundreds were wounded -- mostly Federal Troops who were ordered to hold all bullets, and to use only tear gas and rifle butts to hold the rioters back.

The riots went on for over six hours, until the truth finally came out -- James Meredith was already in his dormitory, sound asleep and surrounded by Federal guards. By the next morning, the death toll was taken -- two dead. Hundreds wounded. Walker was immediately arrested.

Walker was held for six days, and released on bail. In three more months a Mississippi Grand Jury would acquit Wallker of all charges -- he would be free again to wreak more havoc on the Kennedy White House.

But this had been a bonding experience between Ross Barnett and ex-General Walker. They became closer.

Now, we should also note that when James Meredith applied to attend Ole Miss back in 1961 and earlier in 1962, his Civil Rights advocate was Medgar Evers of the Mississippi NAACP. In a certain sense, we can say that the victory of James Meredith was also the victory of Medgar Evers.

Therefore, when JFK gave his famous Civil Rights speech of 11 June 1963, KKK animosity was at a fever pitch when the very next day, Byron de la Beckwith would shoot Medgar Evers in the back, right in the driveway of Medgar Evers' own home, in front of his wife and children.

To mainstream America, Byron de la Beckwith was a monster. To the KKK, however, and to the White Citizens' Councils that so firmly and self-righteously opposed race-mixing at American Universities, Byron de la Beckwith was a hero.

Despite his failings as a Governor during the Ole Miss period, Ross Barnett was still a figurehead for the "conservative" wing in Mississippi. For political purposes, he was obliged to shake hands with Byron de la Beckwith in that court house in early 1964. Ex-General Edwin Walker, in Mississippi visiting his old friend, Ross Barnett, was then invited by Barnett to shake Beckwith's hand as well. He complied in harmony with Ross Barnett.

So I do not deny -- in fact I openly affirm -- Walker's political actions from 1962-1964 were dominated by the concerns of white-supremacy.

However, I must also point out that Walker did not publicize the fact that he offered comfort to Beckwith. He hid this fact from the newspapers in Texas.

When the Warren Commission asked ex-General Edwin Walker where he was during that period in early 1964, he said only that he was "on a trip". He would not boast of -- or breathe a word of -- his contact with Beckwith in that period.

Nevertheless, and this may be a psychological anomaly, Edwin Walker never speaks of his racist motivations, although he clearly acts upon them.

The involvement of racist elements in the killing of JFK is increasingly apparent to me, in the context of the history of JFK's enemies. The Civil Rights era was the most heated and deadly domestic arena of politics in 1963. IMHO, the assassination of Medgar Evers on 12 June 1963 prefigured the assassination of JFK on 22 November 1963.

Best regards,

--Paul Trejo

<edit typos>

Edited by Paul Trejo