The Education Forum

Israel,LBJ and the JFK assassination

I did various google searches and could find no other mention of Bloomfeild’s papers being held by the National Archives of Canada (let alone them not being released) so all we have is the word of a semi-literate anonymous blogger. You’d think if the story were true it would appear elsewhere on the Net. The author does not provide any citation or evidence that what he claims is true. You’d think if it were true he’d be able to provide a citation. We are not even told why supposedly the papers aren’t being released.

It took me all of 45 seconds or less. On your last statement - is that not the question.

http://mikan3.archives.ca/pam/public_mikan...1508290,1507392

Access Conditions

Graphic (photo) 90: Open

Textual records 18: Restricted by creator/donor

I confirmed the fact that these documents are still considered restricted with the Archives. No reason given.

- lee

Hi Lee Forman,

Congratulation for your research on the Canadian National Archives. In reaction to Len Colby’s negative post I was about to reply to him, but I’m glad that you were able to show Len that my information on the Bloomfield archives are somehow founded in fact and reality.

I should admit that I resented a little that Len called me a "semi-literate anonymous blogger". Even more since my name is quite easy to find on my blog and that any "semi-literate" reader should be able to deduct it. Here, understand that I don’t want to be insulting to Len, but I can’t resist to be a little sarcastic, Really, when I see somebody reading a blog where the author’s name is quite evident, concluding that this author is an anonymous blogger –really I wonder what this kind of highly deductive mind can solve the JFK assassination mystery…

Anyway, I'm not in this to engage in personal conflict, but I'm willing to give information for those who really want to do serious research.

Even if Google is a fantastic tool to do research, one has to use his brain when he wants to find something new, and, please, Len and everyone else, don’t say it doesn’t exist because you don’t find it on a simple search in Google.

For instance, in Google, if you just type "Bloomfield archives" you won't find anything on the Canadian National Archives, except for my blog. But, if you type "National Archives Canada" you will eventually find their sites. There, at: http://www.collectionscanada.ca/archivianet/02012302_f.html , you can type the name "Bloomfield". In the results, you will find the LM Bloomfield collection at: http://data4.collectionscanada.ca/netacgi/...f.html&r=15&f=G

Following the links in this page you will find that a new access restriction was made in April 2005 (http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/pdf/pdf001/r000000675.pdf ) and you'll also find a fascinating description of the fonds at: http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000813.pdf . (For one thing, you’ll have confirmation in this listing that Bloomfield had correspondence with George Bush Sr…, something that you won’t find on the web or in any JFK book. )

Now if you want confirmation that there is indeed a legal battle on this subject in Canada, you can eventually find the Canadian Federal Court website. There at: http://www.fct-cf.gc.ca/IndexingQueries/infp_queries_e.php , typing my name "Philipps" as a party, you'll find out that there is indeed a "MAURICE PHILIPPS c. BIBLIOTHECAIRE ET ARCHIVISTE DU CANADA" judicial review process filed there.

I'm in this case since 2 years now and its takes lot of energy. That's the main reason I didn't post regularly on my blog.

Now, I should add that I'm looking toward Bloomfield's papers in order to find out the historical truth about him. I'm quite critical on what was said about Bloomfield: the sources on him are dim and even the simplest facts about him have been distorted. To give you a basic example, it was said that Bloomfield was an American, but the bio from the National Archives will show you that he was a Canadian.

I think that researches on Louis Bloomfield should follow a factual trail starting with the fact that, as a lawyer, he was said to be a major stock holder of Permindex "FOR PARTIES UNKNOWN". Finding out who were those parties for whom attorney Bloomfield was acting is the first thing to find out, and I believe the Bloomfield archives can give you this information. In fact, I think that the Bloomfield archives description is pointing toward some new names in the case. Google a few of them, Namebase them, go to library and look for books about them and you may find something new pointing to the.. Corsican trail. Speaking of books, Googling and Namebasing, I’m surprised to see that nobody ever reported a Lansky-Bloomfield connection that is documented in a book that had nothing to do with the JFK assassination. Still, it is written in a book easily accessible on the internet. You can’t just find it on Google, but if you look in some other of the Google services, you will learn something new.

Now, if Len wants to apologize for calling me a "semi-literate anonymous blogger", I will gladly pardon him. Except for being French speaking and for having a less than perfect English, I don't think I deserve this kind of name calling and I hope that this forum is not a place for that.

Thanks for everyone that have linked my blog to this Education Forum, if I had more time I would participate in it and answer a couple of questions. (Incidently, the source for the Mertz-Mondolini connection is in Jean-Pierre Charbonneau "La filière canadienne", page 295 of the French 1975 first edition, both Mertz and Mondolini were implicated in the Bousquet affair.)

If anyone wants to know more or support me in the Bloomfield archives legal battle, please get in touch with me through my blog at: http://somesecretsforyou.blogspot.com/ . As soon as there is relevant development, I will post them in that blog.

Thanks again,

Maurice Philipps

I did various google searches and could find no other mention of Bloomfeild’s papers being held by the National Archives of Canada (let alone them not being released) so all we have is the word of a semi-literate anonymous blogger. You’d think if the story were true it would appear elsewhere on the Net. The author does not provide any citation or evidence that what he claims is true. You’d think if it were true he’d be able to provide a citation. We are not even told why supposedly the papers aren’t being released.

It is clear from his website that his name is Maurice Philipps. It is a travesty to say that he is semi-literate. In fact, considering it is his second language (he is French-Canadian), I think his English is excellent. I think you might get more support for your arguments if you did not resort to the discredited tactic of suggesting your opponents are racists. I know this is the traditional strategy of the Zionist movement but it has little impact on well-educated people.

Thanks John for registering me in and for your support.

I have just posted the a reply to Len's comment, but here are some details about the Bloomfield Archives that I put in my biography. They may interest reader of this thread.

================

Since 2004, I have been seeking release of the Louis Mortimer Bloomfield archives collection, hold by Library and Archives Canada (LAC), the Canadian national archives. The collection was given to the Canadian government by L. M. Bloomfield in 1978-1980, on condition it was open to public 20 years after his death, which occurs in 1984. When I asked access to the open collection in summer 2004, LAC restricted access to the archives for at least 10 more years, as a direct result of my request. In April 2005, the day after Library and Archives released to me a few pages of administrative records on the Bloomfield archives, asked under a FOIA request, LAC extended to 25 years the new access restriction to the collection, again as a direct result of my request. In 2005, I open procedures with the Canadian Federal Court to obtain a judicial review of Library and Archives’ decision. After opposition by LAC to release documents in this case, the procedures were put back on a normal course in February 2006, and hearing in the case should be hold before fall 2006.

I intend to share with other researchers all information and relevant documents I will access. I value factual documented information and I’m critical of speculation, and there was a lot about Bloomfield! So, instead of trying to develop new theories, I will rather just share the new information I can find. I will mainly do so on my blog at: http://somesecretsforyou.blogspot.com/ . You can contact me via this blog if you have specifics questions or if you want to support me in my fight to get the Bloomfield archives opened.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Maurice!

I follow your Blog with great interest - you are to be highly commended - a brilliant site, and I watch for updates on your last piece in March. I am also very intrigued and would like to know what is contained in Bloomfield's papers. As per your comments - there will most likely be some deciphering required - however, some red flags will go up [no pun intended] if a few known names appear. If Bloomfield was being used a source for laundering, it will probably be an intricate weave. Kudos also on your taking steps to push for these files to be released - I wasn't aware of that. Would it help if other Canadian based researchers made additional efforts? I am a US citizen, so I'm not sure if I could be of any assistance?

Just my thinking here - would like to get your impression. The creation and funding for the Oswald operation was something in the queue before the planning and selection of a Patsy - that's a guess. It would have been great if Wolcott could have provided some substantiation by way of documentation. Why would anyone go to such lengths to establish a connection for an Oswald in Canada and the CNVA? As opposed to framing Oswald to provide a Cuban connection and a Communist slant - perhaps this was simply an operation designed to destroy some kind of meddlesome, but genuine, organization? Was CNVA doing anything specifically about the Israel Dimona issue at this time? Baffling. However, if Russell McLarry was a participant, sounds as if it had already been penetrated. He's a great role model for non-Violent action.

Wikipedia:

Committee for Non-Violent Action

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

The Committee for Non-Violent Action, formed in 1957 to resist the US Government's program of nuclear weapons testing, was one of the first organisations to employ nonviolent direct action to protest against the nuclear arms race.

The CNVA's immediate antecedent, a committee known as Non-Violent Action Against Nuclear Weapons, was formed by radical Quaker Lawrence Scott. Other leaders of the CNVA included A.J. Muste, Albert Bigelow and George Willoughby.

In August, 1957, CNVA members were arrested when they attempted to enter the Camp Mercury nuclear testing grounds near Las Vegas, Nevada. In February 1958, Albert Bigelow and the crew of the Golden Rule were intercepted by the US Coast Guard five nautical miles from Honolulu, Hawaii as they attempted to sail their vessel into the Eniwetok Proving Grounds, the US test site in the Marshall Islands. Two further attempts to defy a hastily enacted regulation banning US citizens from sailing to the test site led to the arrest and 60 day imprisonment of the crew.

The voyage of the Golden Rule inspired anthropologist Earle Reynolds and his family to undertake a similar journey, and on July 1, 1958, their yacht, Phoenix of Hiroshima, entered the test zone at Bikini Atoll. The Phoenix penetrated 65 miles into the test area before the vessel was boarded by the Coast Guard and ordered to sail to Kwajalein atoll, where Reynolds was charged with violating the Atomic Energy Commission's new regulation.

In 1959, CNVA sponsored protests at the construction site of an intercontinental ballistic missile near Omaha, Nebraska. Around 15 protestors, including A.J. Muste, were arrested and handcuffed as they climbed the fence to invade the site. They were each sentenced to six months in jail. In 1960, the group co-ordinated nonviolent protests against construction of the nuclear weapons equipped Polaris submarine in New London.

During the early 1960s, the CNVA organised two epic 'Walks for Peace', including a 6000 mile march from San Francisco to Moscow, during which the walkers called on the governments of the world to disarm. During a Walk for Peace from Quebec to Cuba, via Washington, walkers were attacked and jailed as black and white activists walked together through Atlanta, Georgia.

In the mid 1960s, CNVA began to focus on the Vietnam War. Activists travelled to Hanoi, Vietnam and picketed the US Embassy, and the CNVA advocated tax refusal as a method of resistance.

In 1968, after the death of leader A.J. Muste, the CNVA merged with the pacifist War Resisters League.

While never a mass-membership organisation, the CNVA's pioneering use of nonviolent direct action would have a significant influence on movements to follow. Notably, it was the example set by the voyages of the Golden Rule and the Phoenix that would inspire the first Greenpeace activists to use similar methods in their campaigns to halt nuclear testing at the island of Amchitka, Alaska, and at Muraroa Atoll in the Pacific.

Anyway - keep up the fantastic effort.

- lee

Hey Jack - what the hell are you babbling about?

EARL:

You must believe what I've been telling you for the past two and a half years. If you only would have believed me all along you would have found some way to check out what I said. You would have saved Israel, but now they are doomed, because they think the U.S. are for them, but they are wrong because Johnson wants to see them slaughtered and tortured. Egypt is making believe they are an ally of Russia, that is only to fool Russia and the rest of the world. The Arabs are going to over- run Israel. They are going to get help both from Russia and the U.S. It's too late now to do anything, and we are all doomed.

They are torturing children here. If you only would believe what I'm telling you. Phil [burleson] was in on the conspiracy all along, and he was very instrumental in the frameup they planned, that I was in on the assassination of the President. Don't be fooled by his working on the briefs, now that has done all the dirty work, he put himself in a position to make every effort that he is on our side. Please you must believe all I've been telling you. Earl, they are going to torture you to death, and you will witness your own family being put to death. Forgive me for all this terrible tragedy I've caused. Love

I know you won't listen to me Earl, but if you go to a public phone booth, they may be watching you, pretend that you are going to a department store or a movie, and then give them the slip. Try the phone booth and call some people in N.Y. you know, and if you don't find them in, you will know something is wrong. Try your family again and if they are not at home, then try Eileen or Ann. If they don't answer then you know something is wrong. Earl I know what I am talking about, and I'm sure you think that I'm crazy. But don't forget the jury found me sane, so I'm not crazy anymore! If you know your family is gone, then you know that all is lost and you can't save anything. But you still may be able to save Israel. By getting to Miami either hitch-hike or some-way. You won't be able to fly because they will be watching for you. From Miami you must find a way to Cuba, by pretending to rent a boat to go fishing, and get to Cuba someway. From there you must find a way to Russia. Then you tell the Russians how Egypt has been using them all along, but they are much closer to Johnson, because of what is happening to the Jews in the U.S. Then they will understand what kind of person Johnson is, and then they may be able to save Israel.

Russia will then be in a position to tell Johnson, that there first move if any trouble starts is not to bomb the U.S., but to wipe out Germany, that one thing Johnson don't want to happen, because he is counting on them to be the master race, also all the other former Axis partners South America, Egypt, Italy and Japan.

Earl, as God is my judge, you must believe all these things I've been telling you. When you go back to your hotel, they may have a bug in your room. Don't say anything to Elmer, just take off without your clothes. Good luck and hope you believe me this time, Love always.

If you should follow what I said, and you are hitch-hiking give a fictitious name, such Fleming etc. Try calling some local people, maybe they are missing already, Scheppo, Jacobson, Kaufman and others through the phone book. Please Earl, I know what I'm asking of you.

you [sic] must get to either Miami or Mexico City and then to Cuba. You may have lost your family by now, but there is nothing you can do about it now and you can save millions of people who are doomed to be slaughtered. This country has been overthrown.

Hi Lee Forman,

Congratulation for your research on the Canadian National Archives. In reaction to Len Colby's negative post I was about to reply to him, but I'm glad that you were able to show Len that my information on the Bloomfield archives are somehow founded in fact and reality.

I should admit that I resented a little that Len called me a "semi-literate anonymous blogger". Even more since my name is quite easy to find on my blog and that any "semi-literate" reader should be able to deduct it. Here, understand that I don't want to be insulting to Len, but I can't resist to be a little sarcastic, Really, when I see somebody reading a blog where the author's name is quite evident, concluding that this author is an anonymous blogger –really I wonder what this kind of highly deductive mind can solve the JFK assassination mystery…

Anyway, I'm not in this to engage in personal conflict, but I'm willing to give information for those who really want to do serious research.

Even if Google is a fantastic tool to do research, one has to use his brain when he wants to find something new, and, please, Len and everyone else, don't say it doesn't exist because you don't find it on a simple search in Google.

[...]

Now, if Len wants to apologize for calling me a "semi-literate anonymous blogger", I will gladly pardon him. Except for being French speaking and for having a less than perfect English, I don't think I deserve this kind of name calling and I hope that this forum is not a place for that.

Maurice,

- Your name didn't appear on the current page of your blog until after my post on this thread. The only exception is an ad for a book you wrote but there was no indication that the book was written by the author of the blog it is only one of several books advertised.

- You signed all your posts on that page and the others I looked at as "youshouldknow" which is the name listed for you in the "about me section" your name does not appear in your "complete profile" either.

- The above certainly created the impression you did not want your identity disclosed.

- Your name only appeared twice in the blog on one page (January)*.

Thus your statements that your name was "easy to find" and "quite evident" are inaccurate and your sarcasm unwarranted. If you don't want to be considered an anonymous blogger you should sign your posts with your name or at the very least make sure it appears on every page and not, as was the case, only on one page. It's NOT up to your readers to dig through your site to find out who you are.

I do apologize for calling you semi-literate but I had no way of knowing at the time you were not a native speaker of English. You did however make some very basic mistakes like referring to a person as "it".

As for me solving the Kennedy assassination I never indicated that was my goal.

I could be faulted for not having found the page about Bloomfield in the archives site but that page for whatever reason isn't indexed by Google (which means it was probably added recently), but then again you could be faulted for making a claim on your blog without providing a citation, both of us were sloppy. It shouldn't be up to your readers to verify your claims and giving the wrong name for the archive certainly didn't help.

I don't want to get into a fight with you, you seem to me to be an honorable unbigoted person, I have no "bones" to "contend" with you. I am just explaining my side of the story. My hand clutching an olive branch is extended.

I am curious though, did they (the people who run the archives) say why they were not releasing Bloomfield's papers? On one of the pages you linked it said "Access is restricted until twenty-five years after the death of Justine Stern Cartier. Authority for restriction: Social Archives Sector. For access apply to: Social Archives Sector Canadian Archives and Special Collections Branch" who is (was) Ms. Cartier a relative of Bloomfield's?

Len

*http://search.blogger.com/?as_q=PHILIPPS&ie=UTF-8&ui=blg&bl_url=somesecretsforyou.blogspot.com&x=33&y=10

Edited by Len Colby

Thanks John for registering me in and for your support.

I have just posted the a reply to Len's comment, but here are some details about the Bloomfield Archives that I put in my biography. They may interest reader of this thread.

================

Since 2004, I have been seeking release of the Louis Mortimer Bloomfield archives collection, hold by Library and Archives Canada (LAC), the Canadian national archives. The collection was given to the Canadian government by L. M. Bloomfield in 1978-1980, on condition it was open to public 20 years after his death, which occurs in 1984. When I asked access to the open collection in summer 2004, LAC restricted access to the archives for at least 10 more years, as a direct result of my request. In April 2005, the day after Library and Archives released to me a few pages of administrative records on the Bloomfield archives, asked under a FOIA request, LAC extended to 25 years the new access restriction to the collection, again as a direct result of my request. In 2005, I open procedures with the Canadian Federal Court to obtain a judicial review of Library and Archives’ decision. After opposition by LAC to release documents in this case, the procedures were put back on a normal course in February 2006, and hearing in the case should be hold before fall 2006.

I intend to share with other researchers all information and relevant documents I will access. I value factual documented information and I’m critical of speculation, and there was a lot about Bloomfield! So, instead of trying to develop new theories, I will rather just share the new information I can find. I will mainly do so on my blog at: http://somesecretsforyou.blogspot.com/ . You can contact me via this blog if you have specifics questions or if you want to support me in my fight to get the Bloomfield archives opened.

Maurice:

First, I always assumed the name Maurice Philipps was a nom de plume, given that it takes the first name of Maurice Bishop [a presumed nom de guerre] and the last name of the man assumed to have used that name, David Atlee Phillips [albeit spelled differently.]

Second, I wouldn't worry too much about comments made by Len Colby. When we've asked him to post his comments en Francais [or Portuguese], perhaps he'll have a better idea of what it is like to use one's second language, and see how well he fares.

Third, I've had an interest in Bloomfield for several decades, as a result of Torbitt, and have made some efforts to determine the truth or falsity of the assertions made about him. Oddly enough, through completely unrelated business, I encountered in England a chap named John Bloomfield, whom I knew had been born in Montreal and carried a Canadian passport. One night, after two drinks too many, I asked if he were related to Major Louis Mortimer Bloomfield. He stated that he was not, but asked: "Why? What do you want to know about ' Louie?' " Needless to say, I was rather stunned. John B. told me that "Louie" had been his godfather, although unrelated.

I told John B., as politely as I could, that "Louie" had been implicated as, for want of a better term, a bagman in the Kennedy assassination, and John B. went wild in denouncing this. He assured me that "Louie" was far too stupid to have been entrusted with such a role. I told him that I found this a rather odd characterization, since Bloomfield was an educated man, an internationally respected jurist, and that, to the best of my ability to ascertain, he'd never lost a court case. John B. assured me that if this were true, it was only because he'd never been entrusted with a case that could be lost in court. More than a year later, John B. disclosed to me that virtually everyone in his family's circle of friends had some kind of intelligence affiliation, which is where my contacts with him ended, sad to say.

Fourth, I much admire your efforts in trying to extricate from the Archives whatever can be gleaned about Bloomfield. However, as this relates to "Oswald in Montreal," let me tell you that I have a rather thick file somewhere in my own archives, consisting of correspondence with the RCMP trying to liberate similar information re: LHO. The RCMP asserted that anything it held couldn't be released without clearance from the FBI, whose own correspondence on the topic indicated that it couldn't authorize such releases without authorization from CSIS [which had superceded RCMP in the interim.] CSIS maintained that authority to release such materials - if they existed - required the consent of the RCMP. In other words, an endless tail-chase. While I wish you the very best of luck in your efforts, do not be too surprised if you end up in a similar situation.

Finally, do you know anything about a woman named Lucille Labonte from Sudbury?

Thanks, Maurice.

It is clear from his website that his name is Maurice Philipps. It is a travesty to say that he is semi-literate. In fact, considering it is his second language (he is French-Canadian), I think his English is excellent. I think you might get more support for your arguments if you did not resort to the discredited tactic of suggesting your opponents are racists. I know this is the traditional strategy of the Zionist movement but it has little impact on well-educated people.

As I pointed out in my reply to him it wasn't clear at all what his name was, he only mentioned it in the last two posts of the "January" page of his site, that page has almost 4000 words on it.

The second inaccuracy in your post is that I NEVER suggested that HE was racist or anti-Semitic. I don't as you suggest level such charges routinely.

I see nothing wrong in criticizing bigots for their bigotry, I do see a great deal wrong with racism. Are you honestly going to say you don't think Mark Wilson and Piper are racists? If some one suggested that you read books by David Duke or Meir Kahane would you take them up on it? How would you react if some one cited them as reliable sources? Wouldn't you point out that they obviously had "axes to grind". Wasn't it routinely suggested that Tim Gratz was unable to see things clearly due to his political bias?

Walker and Wilson said that Jewish intellectuals and journalists mislead the public due to there support of Israel why is that legitimate in your eyes but suggesting that anti-Semites might be biased against Israel or Jews illegitimate?

I never suggested that Wilson, Piper or Walker were anti-Semitic because they criticize Israel I did so because of what they said about Jews.

Len

Edited by Len Colby

Hello Maurice!

I follow your Blog with great interest - you are to be highly commended - a brilliant site, and I watch for updates on your last piece in March. I am also very intrigued and would like to know what is contained in Bloomfield's papers. As per your comments - there will most likely be some deciphering required - however, some red flags will go up [no pun intended] if a few known names appear. If Bloomfield was being used a source for laundering, it will probably be an intricate weave. Kudos also on your taking steps to push for these files to be released - I wasn't aware of that. Would it help if other Canadian based researchers made additional efforts? I am a US citizen, so I'm not sure if I could be of any assistance?

Hello Lee, Thank you for the good words. You can get an idea of what is contained in the Bloomfield archives by consulting the listing that the Canadian Archives put online at: http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/pdf/pdf001/p000000813.pdf. This is a twenty some pages listing of the collection.

Like I wrote earlier, this listing will show you that Bloomfield had correspondance with Georges Bush Sr, before he became President, at a time when he was at UN and/or CIA. Understand me! I don't want to speculate and I'm not jumping to any conclusion by telling you that! Only that this will surely be something interesting to read, even if it had no relation at all with the JFK assassination, or any CIA other black ops. Those are the kind of papers historians of the Bush presidential library will surely want.

I intend to post, here and on my blog, copy of the administrative documents relating to the Bloomfield archives. Those will include letters from Bloomfield in wich he commented on the historical importance of his papers, mainly those concerning WWII.

Those documents will also allow you to judge if Library and Archives Canada (LAC) was justified to put new access restrictions on the collection. On this basis, it would sure help if researchers, from anywhere around the world, express their opinions on the subject. I understand that on this forum there are a few members that have good academics credentials. I'm sure that a few serious emails to the Chief Archivist may bring him to reconsider his decision before hearings in court. I may be naive, but for now I don't see a big conspiracy behind LAC decision to keep the collection closed. My interpretation is that some high level archivist, on pressure from Bloomfield's widows (Mrs Justine Stern Cartier), gave the collection a special treatment that is against LAC intern procedures and even against Louis Bloomfield's will. The only conspiracy I want to see in this case, is high level administrators covering the error of a subaltern. And I indeed do believe that serious pressure, international and domestic, may be of great help.

Just my thinking here - would like to get your impression. The creation and funding for the Oswald operation was something in the queue before the planning and selection of a Patsy - that's a guess. It would have been great if Wolcott could have provided some substantiation by way of documentation. Why would anyone go to such lengths to establish a connection for an Oswald in Canada and the CNVA? As opposed to framing Oswald to provide a Cuban connection and a Communist slant - perhaps this was simply an operation designed to destroy some kind of meddlesome, but genuine, organization? Was CNVA doing anything specifically about the Israel Dimona issue at this time? Baffling. However, if Russell McLarry was a participant, sounds as if it had already been penetrated. He's a great role model for non-Violent action.

Now about Oswald in Montreal. In my mind, if Oswald was sent as far as Montreal, it can only be to give him opportunity to take contact with Cuban officials or, at least to be "seen" by them, so that reports about him being a Castro supporter could start to be disseminated. Other than getting near of Cuban officials, Oswald's handlers could have smear him as a pro-Castro anywhere in the USA.

Even if Jean-Paul Tremblay believed he saw Oswald in August 1963, and even if the FBI placed this sighting in June, according to the chronology of the Québec-Washington-Guantanamo Peace Walk the only time when Tremblay could have seen Oswald leafleating with Fred Moore or Erika Enzer would be prior to the march, thus before May 26, 1963. The interesting thing is that this is one of the rare period where Oswald whereabouts are poorly accounted for. He had just left Dallas for New Orleans and was supposely working for William B. Reily Co. John Newman, in Oswald and the CIA made a good case of showing that it is unclear exactly when the FBI knew of Oswald presence in N.O. at that time. It is also in May 1963 that Oswald wrote to Vincent T. Lee of the Fair Play for Cuba Committee. So, all in all, I believe the creation of a pro-castro legend was the objective of Oswald coming to Montreal, and that association with bona fide peace activist might have been seek only to give him credibility.

Was he already choosen as the patsy for the JFK assassination? I don't think so. Some believe that the original plan was to have Oswald enter Cuba via Mexico and having him identified as JFK's assassin while he was in Cuba. But my personal belief is that he was choosen as an "expandable" asset only after his failure to get to Cuba from Mexico. But this of course is speculation and we might as well consider that he was framed to go in Mexico and fail to get in Cuba, so that he will be seen as an angry young man with this as his motivation for killing Kennedy, or perhaps ... or better yet... and even more.

I'll be back soon with a few of the Bloomfield Archives documents.

First, I always assumed the name Maurice Philipps was a nom de plume, given that it takes the first name of Maurice Bishop [a presumed nom de guerre] and the last name of the man assumed to have used that name, David Atlee Phillips [albeit spelled differently.]

Second, I wouldn't worry too much about comments made by Len Colby. When we've asked him to post his comments en Francais [or Portuguese], perhaps he'll have a better idea of what it is like to use one's second language, and see how well he fares.

Third, I've had an interest in Bloomfield for several decades, as a result of Torbitt, and have made some efforts to determine the truth or falsity of the assertions made about him. Oddly enough, through completely unrelated business, I encountered in England a chap named John Bloomfield, whom I knew had been born in Montreal and carried a Canadian passport. One night, after two drinks too many, I asked if he were related to Major Louis Mortimer Bloomfield. He stated that he was not, but asked: "Why? What do you want to know about ' Louie?' " Needless to say, I was rather stunned. John B. told me that "Louie" had been his godfather, although unrelated.

I told John B., as politely as I could, that "Louie" had been implicated as, for want of a better term, a bagman in the Kennedy assassination, and John B. went wild in denouncing this. He assured me that "Louie" was far too stupid to have been entrusted with such a role. I told him that I found this a rather odd characterization, since Bloomfield was an educated man, an internationally respected jurist, and that, to the best of my ability to ascertain, he'd never lost a court case. John B. assured me that if this were true, it was only because he'd never been entrusted with a case that could be lost in court. More than a year later, John B. disclosed to me that virtually everyone in his family's circle of friends had some kind of intelligence affiliation, which is where my contacts with him ended, sad to say.

Fourth, I much admire your efforts in trying to extricate from the Archives whatever can be gleaned about Bloomfield. However, as this relates to "Oswald in Montreal," let me tell you that I have a rather thick file somewhere in my own archives, consisting of correspondence with the RCMP trying to liberate similar information re: LHO. The RCMP asserted that anything it held couldn't be released without clearance from the FBI, whose own correspondence on the topic indicated that it couldn't authorize such releases without authorization from CSIS [which had superceded RCMP in the interim.] CSIS maintained that authority to release such materials - if they existed - required the consent of the RCMP. In other words, an endless tail-chase. While I wish you the very best of luck in your efforts, do not be too surprised if you end up in a similar situation.

Finally, do you know anything about a woman named Lucille Labonte from Sudbury?

Thanks, Maurice.[/color]

Thanks Robert for the good words,

I'll post more about the Bloomfield archives in the next days. Concerning Lucille Labonté, I have checked and copied the report about her when I went to the National Archives at College Park, MD. If my memory is good, there is not a lot in it. I may found a copy of this report in my files and email it to you if you wish. I think you are in Montreal, we might get in touch.