The Education Forum

The Great Wind Farm Debate

Richard Allaway

Hello All,

I have produced a new mini-site based on the idea of a planning meeting for a proposed wind farm development. The mini-site is part of my main site: www.geographyalltheway.com.

The resource includes Talking Heads, Google Earth Overlays, meeting structure and role descriptions.

The wind farm development used for the debate is a real proposed wind farm and therefore could be used as a case study. I wrote the resource for my Y8 class but believe that it could be used for all of KS3 and KS4.

I welcome suggestions for improvements etc.

The entrance to the mini-site is here.

Enjoy

Rich

Edited by Richard Allaway

I welcome suggestions for improvements etc.
I was really into this and after reading the Council Planning download, I closed the window and (therefore) closed the site. I think it would be a good idea to make the downloads open in new windows. The planning document might also be more universally accessible if it were a PDF rather than Word doc.

I'll have to speak to Russ about the opening files in new windows etc.

Does the IST Humanities have the necessary software to produce pdf files?

Rich

PDFs are a breeze if you use Open Office - just open any Word document in Open Office's text editor and click file - export as PDF

For PCs, there's an add-on to Acrobat reader which allows you to 'print' documents as .pdfs.

For Macs, this comes as standard. There's an extra drop-down menu when you hit Apple-P, which lets you do all sorts of things, like creating a .pdf document and e-mailing it to someone as an attachment, and encrypting a .pdf document.

The beauty of each of these systems is that you can turn anything you can print into a .pdf … This is really helpful if you're exporting documents into a programme which allows you to input .pdf (like the Mac version of Marratech). More or less anything you can see on the screen can then be turned into a .pdf document.