The Education Forum

Spain and the World Cup

John Simkin

I have been very impressed with Spanish teams in the Champions League. What are your chances in the World Cup? I see Xabi Alonso, Asier Del Horno and Michael Salgado are injured. Going by his form with Liverpool, you are likely to miss Alonso.

Althoug the media try to bring the public's attention on our national team, I think that, so far, people is not very interested in the next World Cup.

Why? History. Spaniards tend to consider with a great fatalism our team performance. We always lose. We always feel dissapointed after every World Cup.

However, our Prime Minister, who so far is quite daring and fortunate, has just claimed that this year will be "our year". I tend to not believe politicians. Even if I have voted for them.

So... just relax and enjoy "o jogo bonito" from Brazil.

Althoug the media try to bring the public's attention on our national team, I think that, so far, people is not very interested in the next World Cup.

Why? History. Spaniards tend to consider with a great fatalism our team performance. We always lose. We always feel dissapointed after every World Cup.

Really? That's a great shame. You have some greatplayers this time around such as Casillas, Canizares, Raul and Fabregas. I would like to see Spain win (if Italy and England get knocked out that is :D )

As for Brazil: :tomatoes

:D

• 2 weeks later...

However, our Prime Minister, who so far is quite daring and fortunate, has just claimed that this year will be "our year". I tend to not believe politicians. Even if I have voted for them.

So... just relax and enjoy "o jogo bonito" from Brazil.

Don't you feel better now? Spain looked very good against Ukraine. See you in the semi-finals.