The Education Forum

The Relationship between Globalization and Comparative Education

Sohair Hamzah

Hello everybody , I want to ask you if anyone has any idea or informtion about the topic . I wish you will help me in this topic .

Sohair:

I know a little about comparative education, having submitted an MEd research thesis on the teaching of English and French in the schools of the German Democratic Republic back in the mid-1980s. I made a point then of studying the authorities on comparative education, including Marc-Antoine Jullien de Paris who founded the discipline, and such luminaries as Kandel and Mallinson. One of the best introductions to the subject of comparative education is Bereday's "Comparative Method in Education", which explains, with examples, how to analyse and evaluate an element of education in one, two or three countries. "Compare" and "Comparative Education" are two journals in the field worthy of attention.

I'm afraid I'm at much more of a loss when it comes to the concept of globalisation as applied to comparative education and of course it's a relatively new idea which would not have been familiar to the comparative educators I listed. My advice is that you study the principles and methods of comparative education first and then, so armed, approach the globalisation issue. I wish I could help more.

David Wilson

http://www.specialeducationalneeds.com/

Hello everybody , I want to ask you if anyone has any idea or informtion about the topic . I wish you will help me in this topic .

Sohair:

I know a little about comparative education, having submitted an MEd research thesis on the teaching of English and French in the schools of the German Democratic Republic back in the mid-1980s. I made a point then of studying the authorities on comparative education, including Marc-Antoine Jullien de Paris who founded the discipline, and such luminaries as Kandel and Mallinson. One of the best introductions to the subject of comparative education is Bereday's "Comparative Method in Education", which explains, with examples, how to analyse and evaluate an element of education in one, two or three countries. "Compare" and "Comparative Education" are two journals in the field worthy of attention.

I'm afraid I'm at much more of a loss when it comes to the concept of globalisation as applied to comparative education and of course it's a relatively new idea which would not have been familiar to the comparative educators I listed. My advice is that you study the principles and methods of comparative education first and then, so armed, approach the globalisation issue. I wish I could help more.

David Wilson

Mr, Daivd

Thank you for your advise . I want to ask you if you can give me names of referances or websites that may be help me in this research .

Sohair

Well, you might begin by getting acquainted with the authoritative comparative education textbooks, e.g.:

George Bereday, "Comparative method in education" (Holt, Rinehart and Winston)

I. L. Kandel, "The new era in education: a comparative study" (Harrap)

Edmund J. King, "Other schools and ours" (Holt, Rinehart and Winston)

Victor Mallinson, "An introduction to the study of comparative education" (Heineman)

Be aware, though that the above may be considered a little outdated: they were recommended in the 1970s and 1980s and I dare say other luminaries may have superseded them.

I've just done a Google search with "comparative education" and "globalisation" as search terms and I came across a 31-page book entitled "Education, Globalisation and the Role of Comparative Research". It's advertised at

http://www.johnsmith.co.uk/shop/product_di...ctID=0854736689

and priced at £5, which is very low indeed considering what most books cost these days. I suggest you also do a Google search using the same search terms. I hesitate to recommend particular websites, as my experience of comparative education is a little dated.

David Wilson