The Education Forum

Pete Brewton: The Mafia, CIA and George Bush

Pete Brewton is an award-winning journalist who has worked for the Houston Chronicle and the Houston Post. Brewton has also taught investigative journalism at the University of Houston.

In 1992 Brewton published The Mafia, CIA and George Bush. In the book Brewton explains how George Bush and Lloyd Bentson are members of a small circle of powerful Texas businessmen who have done business with the Mafia and enjoyed the covert assistance of the CIA. Brewton argues that money scammed from Savings & Loans went to fund covert CIA operations, including Iran-Contra and secret weapons deals.

Brewton also explores the relationship that George Bush had with Ted Shackley, Carl E. Jenkins, Paul Helliwell, Rafael Quintero and Thomas Clines. The people I believe were involved in the assassination of JFK.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Pete Brewton. He seems to have disappeared since the book was published in 1992.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/JFKbrewton.htm

post-7-1154509564_thumb.jpg

Interesting passage in Pete Brewton's The Mafia, CIA and George Bush (1992)

On July 29, 1986, North had a meeting with retired Air Force Major General Richard Secord, who was running the Contra resupply effort as well as handling arms shipments to Iran. They discussed Ron Martin and Sergio Brull, along with Miami gun dealer David Duncan and the use of an East German ship that Panamanian dictator Manuel Noriega was holding.

Brull was also named by Secord in an interview he had with the FBI in July 1986. Secord said Brull was an associate of Jack Terrell, who had been involved in efforts to resupply the Contras.

In 1989, Brull was sued by a bank in Haiti for allegedly absconding with the proceeds of a $1.4 million letter of credit that was to buy 5,000 tons of Brazilian sugar for Haiti. The bank couldn't locate Brull to serve him with the lawsuit and alleged that he had fled the country. The bank was able to track the $1.4 million that Brull took to a bank in Madrid, Spain."

Another member of this circle who was in Belize around this time was Carl Jenkins, an old CIA agent whose previous claim to fame was his role as Rafael "Chi Chi" Quintero's case officer during the Bay of Pigs fiasco." (Quintero, an infamous CIA operative who worked with Thomas Clines and Edwin Wilson, among others, was brought in by Secord and Clines to help with the Contra resupply effort.)" Jenkins is mentioned in a number of places in North's notebooks, including one memorable list by North that reads "Gene Wheaton, Carl Jenkins, [John] Hull, [Rob] Owen, [Oliver] North." This list was compiled by North on April 18, 1986, apparently during a telephone conversation with Alan Fiers, director of the CIA's Central American Task Force, who would later plead guilty to misleading Congress on the Contra affair.

Almost every time Jenkins appears in North's notebooks, he is in the company of Wheaton, the former Pentagon criminal investigator. Wheaton said Jenkins was using the tiny nation of Belize as a training area for Latin Americans and Laotians to fight in Nicaragua against the Sandinistas.

One of Jenkins's first assignments with the CIA was in the 1954 coup in Guatemala. Jenkins and his helicopter company in Guatemala were also customers of Commercial Helicopters in Baton Rouge, Louisiana." (This company got most of its financing from Louisiana mobster and savings-and-loan looter Herman K. Beebe, and one of its principals was a close friend of drug dealer and CIA asset Barry Seal. More on this later.)

On January 11, 1984, the day after North had scheduled a meeting with S. Cass Weiland and Senator Roth regarding Belize, North got another phone call from George Woodworth. He wrote in his notebook that it was about Weiland, who "wants to contact [the next word is illegible] people in Belize camps." The word that is illegible appears to be a four-letter word that begins with "dr" and ends with a "g." However, it doesn't appear to be the word "drug."

About the same time that Jenkins was training anti-Sandinistas in Belize and Corson's future attorney was saying the White House was interested in moving on a project in Belize, a friend of George Bush's, and Ronald Reagan's biggest campaign fundraiser in 1980 - i.e., Walter Mischer - was getting involved in small English-speaking Belize. He started out in 1984 in a shrimp business with his close friend, the late Houston developer Keith Jackson...

Ross, while denying that the company ever did business with his childhood buddy, Barry Seal, or the CIA, volunteered: "We used to lease helicopters from Flying Tiger Airlines." This airline company was established by General Claire Chennault in the 1950s as a cargo company, and became one of the largest private cargo companies in the world. It was not a CIA proprietary, but it did work for the CIA. It took its name from the group of pilots organized by Chennault during World War II to fly supplies to Chiang Kai-shek's nationalist Chinese. This group formed the foundation for the CIA's proprietary airline, Civil Air Transport, a branch of which became the infamous Air America.

Commercial Helicopters also negotiated the sale of helicopters to Saudi Arabia for use as medical ambulances, and provided parts and services to a helicopter company in Guatemala. This company, Helicopteros de Guatemala, was run by Wheaton's buddy Carl Jenkins, the old CIA agent from Louisiana who was living in Guatemala and training Contras in Belize. At the time Commercial Helicopters filed for bankruptcy, it was holding for repair about $150,000 worth of helicopter parts belonging to Jenkins's company.

A letter filed with the bankruptcy court on April 11,1985, from Gary Villiard, the general manager of Commercial Helicopters, states that on May 30, 1984, Jenkins and Ricardo Moratoya from Helicopteros de Guatemala instructed him to transport a helicopter owned by the company from New Orleans to Commercial Helicopters' facilities in Lafayette, and then to ship it to Guatemala along with an engine belonging to them. Villiard said in the letter that he complied.

Jenkins had other connections to the Ed Wilson/Tom Clines/Ted Shackley/Dick Secord group. As previously noted, he was Chi Chi Quintero's CIA case officer during the Bay of Pigs, after which Tom Clines became Quintero's case officer. (Shackley was Clines's boss and headed up the CIA's Miami station after the Bay of Pigs disaster; he was also involved in the CIA's use of the Mafia to try to assassinate Fidel Castro.)

Jenkins also headed a large CIA base in Laos from 1970 to 1973, during which time Shackley, Secord and Clines were all involved in CIA operations in that area. Also working with these individuals in that theater were General John Singlaub and a Marine officer named Oliver North.

Pete Brewton is an award-winning journalist who has worked for the Houston Chronicle and the Houston Post. Brewton has also taught investigative journalism at the University of Houston.

In 1992 Brewton published The Mafia, CIA and George Bush. In the book Brewton explains how George Bush and Lloyd Bentson are members of a small circle of powerful Texas businessmen who have done business with the Mafia and enjoyed the covert assistance of the CIA. Brewton argues that money scammed from Savings & Loans went to fund covert CIA operations, including Iran-Contra and secret weapons deals.

Brewton also explores the relationship that George Bush had with Ted Shackley, Carl E. Jenkins, Paul Helliwell, Rafael Quintero and Thomas Clines. The people I believe were involved in the assassination of JFK.

Does anyone know the whereabouts of Pete Brewton. He seems to have disappeared since the book was published in 1992.

John:

Pete is in Lubbock Tx, teaching journalism. I will send you an email. He may be interested in joining the forum. (I just spoke with him).

Dawn

Pete is in Lubbock Tx, teaching journalism. I will send you an email. He may be interested in joining the forum. (I just spoke with him).

I am in Australia at the moment. I read the whole book on my flight. I would very much like to contact him. I have some important information about the Bush - Shackley connection that he does not seem to be aware of. It was interesting to note that one of his main sources was Gene Wheaton, the man who named Carl E. Jenkins last year as the man who organized the assassination of JFK.

Was carl jenkins related to johnson aide walter jenkins?

I found his name and relationship to johnson in an old book called The Rich and the Super Rich.

This book is filled with information about the political and legal manipulations conducted by the wealthy in America up through the mid-60's.

Lots of information on how our system is geared towards turning a blind eye on the crimes (incredible amounts of money involved) committed by the rich while making sure that poor criminals are imprisoned for years for stealing what are literally pennies worth of property.

Crime pays for the wealthy...it is not something which is condoned when conducted by the poor.

Chuck Robbins