The Education Forum

Earl Lively Jr.

Earl Lively Jr. was a RW radical in the Dallas area , he wrote a news paper column, and also did a radio show for a time, he was connected with Robert Morris and was a follower of Edwin Walker. He was intent on tying Oswald and the FPCC to the assassination, and intended to write a book on the subject. Does any body have any further info on this cat?

-Bill

Earl Lively Jr. was a RW radical in the Dallas area , he wrote a news paper column, and also did a radio show for a time, he was connected with Robert Morris and was a follower of Edwin Walker. He was intent on tying Oswald and the FPCC to the assassination, and intended to write a book on the subject. Does any body have any further info on this cat?

-Bill

I read his book "The Invasion of Mississippi" about the Ole Miss riots. There was some information about Walker in it. Lively was pro-segregation of course.

Also see: http://lcweb2.loc.gov/service/mss/eadxmlms...03/ms003015.pdf The papers of Herbert Philbrick

page 58: "The Strange Death of President Kennedy" with Earl Lively, not completed.

I would love to see this.

Edited by Gary Buell

right click, save as view in pdf viewer like adobe acrobat

To: W.C. Sullivan Date 1/20/64

From W. A. Branigan

Subject: Lee Harvey Oswald, IS –R-CUBA

By airtel 1-13-64, Dallas Office reported that on 1-4-64 William James Lowery, Jr. a former security informant of the Dallas Office, reported that he had been contacted by Earl Lively, Jr., of Dallas, Texas. Lowery stated Lively is reported writing an anticommunist book which will stress the Fair Play for Cuba Committee connections of Lee Harvey Oswald. Lively showed Lowery a letter from Herbert Philbrick, former Communist Party member who has testified on behalf of the Government concerning communist activities. According to Lively, Philbrick plans to be in Dallas soon and desires to meet Lowery.

Lively further informed Lowery that he desired Lowery’s assistance in writing his book. He stated that Dr. Robert Morris, former counsel to the Senate Internal Security Committee under Senator McCarthy, was assisting him and Lt. George Butler of the Dallas Police Department was also assisting him. Lively added that Lt. George Butler of the Dallas PD was going to try to get any information he could that the FBI turned over to the Dallas Police Department in connection with the Lee Harvey Oswald case.

In connection with Lowery mentioned above, ha was a member of and active in the Communist Party on a local and state basis from September 23, 1945 to September 23, 1963. He has also testified for the Government before the Subversive Activities Control Board.

Our indices indicate Earl Lively, Jr., probably is identical to Earl William Lively, Jr. In 1962, Office of Special Investigations, Air Force (OSI), furnished us information that Lively was a member of the Air National Guard and at that time was a student of the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama. He was investigated by OSI since a national agency check revealed he was a subscriber to “The Worker” and the “Midweek Worker,” both communist publications. Individuals interviewed by OSI reported Lively was extremely anticommunist and as being extremely rightist in his political views. They reported in their opinion Lively subscribed to communist publications only to obtain background information on the Communist Party line. They also reported Lively extremely anti-Fidel Castro.

OBSERVATIONS:

In view of the serious allegation that Lt. Butler of the Dallas Police Department is involved in scheme to furnish FBI data to Earl Lively, Jr., desirable we have SAC, Dallas personally discuss this allegation with the head of the Dallas Police Department and impress upon him the undesirability of Lt. Butler being involved with such a scheme as alleged by our source. Inasmuch as Lowery has testified for the Government before the Subversive Activities Control Board, and is no longer a security informant, we will not jeopardize an important informant situation by discussing his allegation with the head of the Dallas Police Department.

ACTION:

Attached is a teletype to SAC, Dallas, instructing the SAC, Dallas, to personally contact the head of Dallas Police Department and alert him to the information furnished by Lowery and impress upon him the undesirability of individuals in his department divulging to unauthorized individuals data furnished the Dallas Police Department by the FBI. We are also instructing SAC, Dallas, to request the that the head of the Dallas Police Department determine whether Lt. George Butler of the Dallas Police Department is involved in a scheme to furnish FBI data to Lively as alleged by Lowery.

Edited by David Boylan

Our indices indicate Earl Lively, Jr., probably is identical to Earl William Lively, Jr. In 1962, Office of Special Investigations, Air Force (OSI), furnished us information that Lively was a member of the Air National Guard and at that time was a student of the Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Alabama. (David Boylan)

Hi Dave,

Yep, it is the same Earl Lively.

The image below shows Lively on the left.

James

Edited by James Richards

Hey James!

If my memory serves me, I believe that Lively contacted Jim Garrison about Tom Hill. Hill was VP of the JBS and H.L. Hunt's son-in-law(?) and may have lived in Belmont, Mass for a while. Belmont was headquarters of the JBS. If the memory is still working, I believe that Earl Ruby, Jack's brother called Belmont.

Dave

Hey James!

If my memory serves me, I believe that Lively contacted Jim Garrison about Tom Hill. Hill was VP of the JBS and H.L. Hunt's son-in-law(?) and may have lived in Belmont, Mass for a while. Belmont was headquarters of the JBS. If the memory is still working, I believe that Earl Ruby, Jack's brother called Belmont.

Dave

Dave,

I can't locate my relevant notes so I will have to rely on memory as well. <_<

I seem to recall that before Hill moved to Belmont, he was an assistant to Tom Lively, who was the president of Centex Construction. Lively drowned at Lake Dallas in 1965. Centex was owned by Clint Murchison Jr. and John Murchison.

I have yet to find out if Tom Lively was related to Earl Lively.

Tom Hill below.

James

Dave,

Just to add a bit more to this, Buck McMann, who is rarely looked at, finds himself right in the middle of these connections. He was the paid JBS coordinator for Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and New Mexico. When in Dallas he met with Joseph Grinnan.

McMann called for "mean and dirty" tactics when it came to achieving JBS goals. From the Robert Welch 'Blue Book' these goals were described as, "Stopping the Communists, and destroying their conspiracy or at least breaking its grip on our government and shattering its power within the United States not only must occupy the front spot but the most important spot in all of our thinking."

McMann was also allegedly associated with Earl Lively.

James

Iteresting side- lights. The JBS in Texas was one of , if not THE most radical branches in the nation. Joe Grinnan was one of the extreme radicals behind the scenes. I read alot of his holiday correspondence over the years with J. Evatts Haley, another mover and shaker. These guys had a real distaste for "Democracy".....among other things!

Iteresting side- lights. The JBS in Texas was one of , if not THE most radical branches in the nation. Joe Grinnan was one of the extreme radicals behind the scenes. I read alot of his holiday correspondence over the years with J. Evatts Haley, another mover and shaker. These guys had a real distaste for "Democracy".....among other things!

Bill,

Here's an interesting article on Haley.

James

James: I saw the original drafts for the book( A Texan Looks at Lyndon) and the related correspondence concerning it's design and content. Haley [and friends] went out of the way to imply LBJ's guilt, in fact, thats where the effort to blame Johnson for 11-22 really originated.

Thanks, Bill. Very interesting.

James