The Education Forum

Curtis-Mathes plant

Steve Thomas

James,

Morales knew who was working who and was in a perfect position to stage the visit with Sylvia Odio. I submit to understand how this aspect of the Oswald frame came together, Volsky and his connection to JM/WAVE is the key.

FWIW.

James

Would you happen to have a picture of Jorge Volsky?

Steve Thomas

Steve,

In late 1962 and early 1963, three recruiting offices were set up in Dallas so that fit exiled Cubans could be trained for action against Castro.

The offices were at 3221 Hudnall and run by Bruno Martinez, 4619 Cole Manor and run by Antonio Crespi and at 2212 Kirby run by Francisco Leyva. Leyva was a qualified veterinarian.

There is no doubt that Orcarberrio knew Leyva as the more militant and motivated exiles who signed on were of much interest to him. Orcarberrio was also concerned about possible Castro agents trying to infiltrate the ranks.

Father McChann also knew Leyva as both men were part of a committee to assist in relocating refugees and to council those doing it tough. Along with McChann and Leyva, others on the committee were Francisco Guitierrez and Fernando Robaina.

Francisco Leyva below.

James

James, do you know which organization the recruiting offices were associated with? I believe the Parkland Cuban who had knowledge that Kennedy would be hit may be found among the people/groups under discussion here.

Fr McChann had said post-assassination that his first contact with SA Wally Heitman was to inform on this individual for extortion, among other egregious behaviors. I have searched high and low for a report on this by Heitman without luck. I do believe it would have been around the time these offices were being set up - though I could be wrong on that. When interviewed after the assassination, McChann could not recall the Cuban's name, but he surely knew it when he first contacted Heitman about him.

Greg,

I don't think there was a specific organization associated with the recruiting.

However, I did go back into my notes and discoverewd that a reporter by the name of Carlos Conde interviewed a man who was in charge of the Dallas recruiting. This just happened to be our doctor friend from Parkland Rudolfo Godinez.

He claimed that exiled headquarters in Miami confirmed that those successful applicants would be flown by the U.S. government to training bases close by.

This contact in Miami was Montero Diaz who was a commandant in the 2506 invasion force and was also the leader of the reorganizational plans for Cuban exiles.

From a contact, I was able to confirm that this unknown Cuban did in fact go by the war name 'Caro'.

Steve, sorry no photo of Volsky although I am trying to track one down as one supposedly appeared in the Miami Herald during 1963.

James

Steve,

In late 1962 and early 1963, three recruiting offices were set up in Dallas so that fit exiled Cubans could be trained for action against Castro.

The offices were at 3221 Hudnall and run by Bruno Martinez, 4619 Cole Manor and run by Antonio Crespi and at 2212 Kirby run by Francisco Leyva. Leyva was a qualified veterinarian.

There is no doubt that Orcarberrio knew Leyva as the more militant and motivated exiles who signed on were of much interest to him. Orcarberrio was also concerned about possible Castro agents trying to infiltrate the ranks.

Father McChann also knew Leyva as both men were part of a committee to assist in relocating refugees and to council those doing it tough. Along with McChann and Leyva, others on the committee were Francisco Guitierrez and Fernando Robaina.

Francisco Leyva below.

James

James, do you know which organization the recruiting offices were associated with? I believe the Parkland Cuban who had knowledge that Kennedy would be hit may be found among the people/groups under discussion here.

Fr McChann had said post-assassination that his first contact with SA Wally Heitman was to inform on this individual for extortion, among other egregious behaviors. I have searched high and low for a report on this by Heitman without luck. I do believe it would have been around the time these offices were being set up - though I could be wrong on that. When interviewed after the assassination, McChann could not recall the Cuban's name, but he surely knew it when he first contacted Heitman about him.

Greg,

I don't think there was a specific organization associated with the recruiting.

However, I did go back into my notes and discovered that a reporter by the name of Carlos Conde interviewed a man who was in charge of the Dallas recruiting. This just happened to be our doctor friend from Parkland Rudolfo Godinez.

He claimed that exiled headquarters in Miami confirmed that those successful applicants would be flown by the U.S. government to training bases close by.

This contact in Miami was Montero Diaz who was a commandant in the 2506 invasion force and was also the leader of the reorganizational plans for Cuban exiles.

From a contact, I was able to confirm that this unknown Cuban did in fact go by the war name 'Caro'.

Steve, sorry no photo of Volsky although I am trying to track one down as one supposedly appeared in the Miami Herald during 1963.

James

Thanks James. USG involvement would indicate this was the Cuban Officer Training Program?

"Exiled headquarters in Miami" does sound like a specific exile group, but there were a number of attempts at unifying all the groups. Is that what you're referring to with "reorganizational plans"?

greg

Greg,

'Reorganizational plans' was one of those catchy phrases being thrown around at the time but I get the sense that any kind of uniform group was but a pipe dream. The violent militants were the ones really splitting the ranks.

The so-called 'exiled headquarters in Miami' were the organizational arm of the returned Brigade 2506 and its various support organizations. Good men like Erneido Oliva were a part of this, but then there were also guys like Bernardo De Torres involved.

James

• 3 years later...

Greg,

'Reorganizational plans' was one of those catchy phrases being thrown around at the time but I get the sense that any kind of uniform group was but a pipe dream. The violent militants were the ones really splitting the ranks.

The so-called 'exiled headquarters in Miami' were the organizational arm of the returned Brigade 2506 and its various support organizations. Good men like Erneido Oliva were a part of this, but then there were also guys like Bernardo De Torres involved.

James

See the thread Cuban at Parkland Hospital

Perhaps these two thread can be merged, or a new thread entitled Cubans in Dallas should be started. It is also important to remember that undoubtedly some of these

individuals possibly had CIA Cryptonyms.

• 2 years later...
Dave,

Hi James,

Is Antonio Crespi aka Nico Crespi? Nico was a Dallas friend and contact of Loran Hall. Maybe Gerry will know.

Dave

I'm going to say no.

In Mary Ferrell's database, she identifies them as two different people, and in A Farewell to Justice, Joan Mellen says that Nico Crespi was a Ford Motor salesman. Antonio Crespi was an employee of the Republic Transcom Co.

Steve Thomas

I think you are right, Steve.

As to the JURE connection and hence the Odio visit, it may be worth noting here that a man by the name of Jorge Volsky (Cuban citizen but of Polish origin) was solidly connected into the Cuban community both in Miami and Dallas via his position with the USIA office in Miami. He also had involvement with propaganda activities for the JURE.

Volsky also worked closely with Rogelio Cisneros.

The curious part is that Volsky was also in communication with JM/WAVE from February of 1963 to November of 1963. His case officer was a man by the name of Stanley Zamka. Stanley Zamka was an alias for David Morales. (emphasis added by T. Graves)

James

I stumbled upon this 2008 newspaper article on George (Jorge) Volsky while trying to do some so-called research on Nico Crespi today. (Volsky's CIA cryptonym was AMTRUNK-1)

http://www.miaminewt...-david-brown/2/

Edit: Here's a picture of him 5 years ago at age 87, from the same newspaper:

http://blogs.miamine..._the_gables.php

And here's an interesting CIA document about AMTRUNK:

http://www.maryferre...963&relPageId=1

--Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 2 years later...