The Education Forum

ClassTools.net

Guest Russel Tarr

Guest Russel Tarr

In my absence, Richard Jones-Nerzic will be doing a presentation in Stockholm on the potential of www.classtools.net as a means of creating interactive, web based teaching and learning materials for the history classroom.

I have designed the site to be as self-explanatory as possible, and the best way of getting an idea of what I am trying to achieve with it is to visit the site here.

If you have any questions about or suggestions for the site then please let me know by posting them here and I will do my best to oblige.

Russel

I've been trying the 'post-it' program. Everything works fine :) , but I seem to have difficulties in saving the html page on the local harddrive in the classtools folder.Great tool though! :)

In the backup email is a .dat file which cannot be loaded into an empty template.

Any way to work around this problem?

In the backup email is a .dat file which cannot be loaded into an empty template.

Any way to work around this problem?

I've loaded the .dat file in microsoft txt-editor and loaded the file in classtools. Apart fom codes in the header the 'post-it' classtool was restored! ;)

Edited by Nico Zijlstra

Guest Russel Tarr

I spotted the same "bug" myself at the end of the school day - and I am working on it right now!

I'll post again as soon as it is fixed...thanks for pointing it out!

Guest Russel Tarr

OK...basically, the situation is this:

School networks' security settings sometimes corrupt the files prior to downloading them (stripping out javascript code, refusing to add an extension name and so on).

For the moment, you will now find yourself presented with the option of copying and pasting the raw HTML code straight into a HTML editor. It's not very pretty, but it works.

I will continue to search for a neater solution, but this is a workable stop-gap for those people encountering problems!

Russ

Guest Russel Tarr

I have now made some further amendments.

The problems were:

a. Some HTML files were losing their extension name, so couldn't be "loaded"

b. Some HTML files were being stripped of their active code, so couldn't be "loaded"

I have now developed the code so that the "load" function within each template can load any type of file (even if it hasn't got an extension name) and, if it finds HTML headers etc around it, these are stripped off before the file is processed.

In a nutshell, it should work a lot better now!

;)