The Education Forum

Did Herminio Diaz Garcia really die in 1966?

I was told some time back that possible Kennedy assassination participant Herminio Diaz Garcia did not die in the Tony Cuesta led raid in 1966. He had indeed gone to Costa Rica and was involved with the drug trade there.

I didn't think much about that until I came across the document attached below. It is dated 1973 and the Herminio Diaz mentioned does indeed have the same 201 file number (201-203040) as the Herminio Diaz Garcia connected to anti-Castro activities of the early 1960's. Diaz Garcia's 201 file was opened in 1957 because of his involvement with Costa Rican revolutionary activities.

Also interesting here is the connection with Evelio Duque, who over the years had an interesting association with the Agency.

FWIW.

James

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys for the replies.

Ryan, it does make one wonder, especially when he was directly connected to Evelio Duque. You and I have discussed Duque before and I still firmly believe he is a much under researched character.

Peter, yes, there seems to be some weirdness when it comes to assets dying and then reappearing somewhere. Here is a piece regarding John Adrian O'Hare. As a coincidence, he appears to have been in Costa Rica the same time as Duque and Diaz.

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/bellig.../MJ-5-14-76.htm

James

I was told some time back that possible Kennedy assassination participant Herminio Diaz Garcia did not die in the Tony Cuesta led raid in 1966. He had indeed gone to Costa Rica and was involved with the drug trade there.

I thought Fabian Escalante confirmed his death at the 1995 conference in Nassau, Bahamas, organized by Wayne Smith, chief of the Centre for International Policy in Washington.

I thought Fabian Escalante confirmed his death at the 1995 conference in Nassau, Bahamas, organized by Wayne Smith, chief of the Centre for International Policy in Washington.

He did, John. This document however makes one wonder especially since it is the same 201 number. Like Peter said, it wouldn't be the first time an Agency sponsored ghoul died and came back to life.

It also should be added that the official Agency position is that they never utilized Diaz Garcia. He was however debriefed by a case officer in September of 1963 after his defection. That officer was known as Rip.

FWIW.

James

That officer was known as Rip.

...as in Robertson?....

Someone - or two someones with 201 files that were 'never used'....hmm.......wooden nickel it is called in the USA

Peter,

I assume it was Robertson since he signed off many a report this way. As to the 201 files, the Agency also assigned one to Bernardo De Torres (201-294213) and generated many reports on him including enquiries pre and post Bay of Pigs by one Stanley Zamka aka David Morales. The official stance is that they didn't utilize him either.

For those who request documents, an interesting character to hunt down is James Peckich aka Mr. Dimitry who appears to have been closely tracking Evelio Duque but in an internal report claimed that not only did the Agency have no interest in Duque but that there was never an Agency sponsored assassination attempt against Castro.

Strange when Peckich signed off another report stating that they should recruit Duque for infiltration into Cuba.

Black is white, etc ...

James

James, can you post page 2 (+?), please?

I didn't think much about that until I came across the document attached below. It is dated 1973 and the Herminio Diaz mentioned does indeed have the same 201 file number (201-203040) as the Herminio Diaz Garcia connected to anti-Castro activities of the early 1960's. Diaz Garcia's 201 file was opened in 1957 because of his involvement with Costa Rican revolutionary activities.

Also interesting here is the connection with Evelio Duque, who over the years had an interesting association with the Agency.

FWIW.

James

ARGHH- I just sent in my Trafficante manuscript. Have to add this info in. Costa Rica in 1974- Trafficante was there, as were some of his CUban Mafia members from Miami, who were active in narcotics.

Yes, James, very interesting document.

Seems he was "dissapeared" like Charles Rogers.

Wim

Indeed, Wim.

Speaking of Rogers, did you ever hear the rumors that he was alive and living in Western Australia up until at least the mid 1990's?

I was never able to get any details though.

James

Wim

Indeed, Wim.

Speaking of Rogers, did you ever hear the rumors that he was alive and living in Western Australia up until at least the mid 1990's?

James

Wim and James \

John Liggett, the mystery mortician from Dallas in The Men Who Killed Kennedy,

he also was

alive, then dead, then alive once again.................

Wim

Indeed, Wim.

James

Wim and James,

John Liggett, the mystery mortician from Dallas in The Men Who Killed Kennedy,

he also was alive, then dead, then alive once again.................

Wim, James and Shanet--

How scary it is for you to speak of these "undead" now that Halloween is almost upon us!

--Thomas :ice

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 3 years later...

Just to add some more confusion to Herminio Diaz. There was a story published in the Costa Rican newspaper La Nacion, dated May 18, 1957. It concerned the three men who were plotting to kill Jose Figueres. Diaz was one of those. The article carried this photo below which said this man was Diaz. From all reports, Diaz was supposed to be black. Remembering that the agency started their 201 file on this man because of his assassination plotting in 1957 and carried that through not only his supposed death in 1966 but through into the mid 70s and alleged drug associations. It doesn't make any sense.

JK