The Education Forum

WWI - causes simulation

As part of the IST's commitment to generating 'innovative classroom resources' Russ has been working on a new simulation about the causes of WWI. This is one of the few topics taught in every European country and might be an ideal way of beginning to address the Progress Report criticism that we are not delivering on the 'multilingual innovative resources' front.

Causes of WWI - simulation

If we could translate this in to Swedish, German, French etc. we could have a fairly unique resource.

What do our potential 'translators' think?

As part of the IST's commitment to generating 'innovative classroom resources' Russ has been working on a new simulation about the causes of WWI. This is one of the few topics taught in every European country and might be an ideal way of beginning to address the Progress Report criticism that we are not delivering on the 'multilingual innovative resources' front.

Causes of WWI - simulation

If we could translate this in to Swedish, German, French etc. we could have a fairly unique resource.

What do our potential 'translators' think?

This appears to be a broken link at the moment

Guest Russel Tarr

Seems fine to me...I've tried it both at school and at home!

Could you send me a cd with the complete simulation-web.

Ill translate it in Dreamweaver into Dutch and German.

Thanks - I'll send it across to you as a zip file either today or tomorrow!

Seems fine to me...I've tried it both at school and at home!

Odd... I am getting "The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." whenever I try it

the url Richard linked to is http://194.3.120.243/humanities/e-help%5Cy...%5Cframeset.htm

... is this correct?

Guest Russel Tarr

The direct address is:

http://194.3.120.243/humanities/e-help/yr1...es/frameset.htm

With Nico kindly offering to do German / Dutch translations, the obvious other ones would be:

Spanish

French

Swedish

Any takers?!

:lol:

Once I have the translations I would happily develop a "portal" for users. At the end of the game could also be a poll / forum where users could cast their votes on which country was most responsible for World War One. It would be interesting to see if different nationalities tended to vote in particular ways based on their studies. I think this particular topic has a lot of real potential for an international treatment, and I'm open to suggestions on how it could be developed further.

The direct address is:

http://194.3.120.243/humanities/e-help/yr1...es/frameset.htm

With Nico kindly offering to do German / Dutch translations, the obvious other ones would be:

Spanish

French

Swedish

Any takers?!

:)

Once I have the translations I would happily develop a "portal" for users. At the end of the game could also be a poll / forum where users could cast their votes on which country was most responsible for World War One. It would be interesting to see if different nationalities tended to vote in particular ways based on their studies. I think this particular topic has a lot of real potential for an international treatment, and I'm open to suggestions on how it could be developed further.

The Dutch version can be seen here: http://www.sintermeerten.nl/projecten/gesc...nl/frameset.htm

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been off-line. You can count on a Spanish translation. Do you send me a zip file?

Very well done! The fact that it is interactive is wonderful. This is the type of thing that "hooks" students and invites them to look at history in a new way. By actively engaging students in this excercise they will be able to understand the small details that are often over looked in grade 10-11 classes here in America. I also like the worksheets, in particular the International relations chart. I will be beginning WWI this week and look forward to seeing who well this web site works. Again, Good Job!

Guest Russel Tarr

Just back from my holiday in Alsace...I'll get all the material together for Juan Carlos, Charo and Anders tomorrow morning.

That means we will have:

English

Spanish

Swedish

Dutch

Hopefully Nico will also be able to do a German version in due course...

I might be able to persuade my wife to produce a French version if push comes to shove...it would be a shame not to have that too!

:)

Edited by Russel Tarr

Guest Russel Tarr

I have started setting up a basic layout for the multilingual simulation on this page.

Nico has kindly provided me with the final version of the Dutch translation, and I have incorporated this into the page.

The folder structure is organised so that all the games will call off one central folder of pictures / Flash files, so that each "language version" is a compact series of HTML pages only. This is not only better practice, but means that any changes to images will be rolled out automatically across all the simulations, and if we decide to add further versions (e.g. Italian) it would be a very simple process.

I have also added an EHelp logo which I optimised in Fireworks - thanks again to Nico for that.

I look forward to getting the Swedish and Spanish versions in due course!

Edited by Russel Tarr