The Education Forum

The Crash of the U-2 on November 20, 1963

So you think Hyde III, the people he spoke to and the head of his father’s ground crew are being duplicitous? It seems like you are looking for an excuse to discount their info just because it contradicts your theory. I have also relied on contemporary press accounts.

No. I don't think that. What I think is that they are not good sources on the basis that they may have reason to be duplicitous - or they may in fact have no knowledge of any Northwoods style operation. Recall that the Northwoods document calls for some involved in the operation to be left out of the loop (At precisely the same time that the aircraft was presumably shot down a submarine or small surface craft would disburse F-101 parts, parachute, etc., at approximately 15 to 20 miles off the Cuban coast and depart. The pilots returning to Homestead would have a true story as far as they knew. Search ships and aircraft could be dispatched and parts of aircraft found.). As for the press accounts...most reported what they were told to report.

Strawman I never made such a statement [that every utterance by those spoken to about the incident was believable]. My argument doesn't rest so much on believing what they said than the fact that their statements (truthful of not) didn't fit with the scenario you are proposing.

Sorry. I'm having real trouble grasping the concept here. It sounds like you're saying you don't know if they told you the truth or not - the important thing to you is they didn't agree with me?

Speak of your scenario do you think JFK or RFK were "in on" the 12/63 'invasion' of Cuba?

I thought I'd made it clear I don't write scenarios. Not as a general rule - and certainly not on demand.

I have simply been drawing attention to the similarities of this incident to a scenario dreamt up the Joint Chiefs, and the timing of the incident being perfect for a purported invasion.

You are reversing the burden of proof you are the one suggesting something was amiss

No, it doesn't work like that. Len. The burden here is yours. It was YOUR claim that their was nothing which differentiated this incident from other U2 incidents.

1) The Blackbirds page lists only one other that crashed into a body of water (the Sea of Japan 1992 “body was found by Korean Fisherman”, no info about the wreckage).

2) Many of the crashes are listed with no information as to whether the body or wreckage were recovered

That's your problem. Prove the Hyde incident was not extraordinary as far as U2 incidents go by finding the data.

3) According to contemporary news reports the “wreckage” of Hyde’s U-2 was located the next day.

Happy to take your word for it though a cite would be appreciated.

It should be noted that the area around Key West is known for sharks and his son gave an explanation as to why no body was found, he spoke to other U-2 pilots and they don’t think “the parachute ever deployed” (almost forgot his and their word is suspect). Thus once again you are working from a false assumption (see below)

From http://swtexaslive.com/october2006/hyde

At 10,000 feet, and according to procedure that that time, he attempted to eject. However, the sink rate and centrifugal G-forces of the spin during long fall exceeded the operational capabilities of the ejection seat. They doubt his parachute ever deployed.

Was the seat found, Len?

You missed the obvious once again

1) No mention was made of Hyde making such a call to the contrary it was stated he made no distress call and there was no indication he was downed by Cubans.

2) Hyde was far from "the Cuban Island"

3) Most if not all accounts implied or stated outright the plane had over flown Cuba.

4) A U-2 can not dive ("plunge") and remain in control from high altitude.

You will see what I missed and what I didn't in due course.

I seriously doubt it would have been possible to land a U-2 discretely at Eglin.

What you seriously doubt is your only concern. It may be pertinent if you possess greater knowledge of the subject than the authors of the document had. Do you?

Except that news accounts clearly identified the pilot as Joe Hyde Jr. Do you think the Cubans are retarded? How would the Cubans have recovered him before the Americans, why didn’t they say at the time they had his body?

The Cubans (or at least Castro) did whatever was in his best interest. Why for instance, didn't they make a fuss about the breach of airspace? Why did they never find a legal means (or good old loophole) to tear up the Gitmo lease? IN any case, for all the Cubans knew Johnson was his real name and Hyde was the alias. What to believe - ID found on the body or what they would consider Imperialist propaganda reports of the incident?

How exactly does the plane being “highly unsafe” and prone crash help your theory?

It doesn't. Nor does it do it any harm.

Are you backing away from your sabotage theory?

:ice You are the only person who mentioned sabotage. I never said anything about it at all.

That 'equivocation' started the day of the crash, the door was basically shut in the vast majority of papers and barely open in about 15%, they even said there was no indication he was shot sown AFTER his wreckage was located.

:lol::ice:zzz

And it's goodnight from me, and it's goodnight from him.

Edited by Greg Parker

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you think Hyde III, the people he spoke to and the head of his father’s ground crew are being duplicitous? It seems like you are looking for an excuse to discount their info just because it contradicts your theory. I have also relied on contemporary press accounts.

No. I don't think that. What I think is that they are not good sources on the basis that they may have reason to be duplicitous - or they may in fact have no knowledge of any Northwoods style operation. Recall that the Northwoods document calls for some involved in the operation to be left out of the loop (At precisely the same time that the aircraft was presumably shot down a submarine or small surface craft would disburse F-101 parts, parachute, etc., at approximately 15 to 20 miles off the Cuban coast and depart. The pilots returning to Homestead would have a true story as far as they knew. Search ships and aircraft could be dispatched and parts of aircraft found.). As for the press accounts...most reported what they were told to report.

Strawman I never made such a statement [that every utterance by those spoken to about the incident was believable]. My argument doesn't rest so much on believing what they said than the fact that their statements (truthful of not) didn't fit with the scenario you are proposing.

Sorry. I'm having real trouble grasping the concept here. It sounds like you're saying you don't know if they told you the truth or not - the important thing to you is they didn't agree with me?

Speak of your scenario do you think JFK or RFK were "in on" the 12/63 'invasion' of Cuba?

I thought I'd made it clear I don't write scenarios. Not as a general rule - and certainly not on demand.

I have simply been drawing attention to the similarities of this incident to a scenario dreamt up the Joint Chiefs, and the timing of the incident being perfect for a purported invasion.

You are reversing the burden of proof you are the one suggesting something was amiss

No, it doesn't work like that. Len. The burden here is yours. It was YOUR claim that their was nothing which differentiated this incident from other U2 incidents.

1) The Blackbirds page lists only one other that crashed into a body of water (the Sea of Japan 1992 “body was found by Korean Fisherman”, no info about the wreckage).

2) Many of the crashes are listed with no information as to whether the body or wreckage were recovered

That's your problem. Prove the Hyde incident was not extraordinary as far as U2 incidents go by finding the data.

3) According to contemporary news reports the “wreckage” of Hyde’s U-2 was located the next day.

Happy to take your word for it though a cite would be appreciated.

It should be noted that the area around Key West is known for sharks and his son gave an explanation as to why no body was found, he spoke to other U-2 pilots and they don’t think “the parachute ever deployed” (almost forgot his and their word is suspect). Thus once again you are working from a false assumption (see below)

From http://swtexaslive.com/october2006/hyde

At 10,000 feet, and according to procedure that that time, he attempted to eject. However, the sink rate and centrifugal G-forces of the spin during long fall exceeded the operational capabilities of the ejection seat. They doubt his parachute ever deployed.

Was the seat found, Len?

You missed the obvious once again

1) No mention was made of Hyde making such a call to the contrary it was stated he made no distress call and there was no indication he was downed by Cubans.

2) Hyde was far from "the Cuban Island"

3) Most if not all accounts implied or stated outright the plane had over flown Cuba.

4) A U-2 can not dive ("plunge") and remain in control from high altitude.

You will see what I missed and what I didn't in due course.

I seriously doubt it would have been possible to land a U-2 discretely at Eglin.

What you seriously doubt is your only concern. It may be pertinent if you possess greater knowledge of the subject than the authors of the document had. Do you?

Except that news accounts clearly identified the pilot as Joe Hyde Jr. Do you think the Cubans are retarded? How would the Cubans have recovered him before the Americans, why didn’t they say at the time they had his body?

The Cubans (or at least Castro) did whatever was in his best interest. Why for instance, didn't they make a fuss about the breach of airspace? Why did they never find a legal means (or good old loophole) to tear up the Gitmo lease? IN any case, for all the Cubans knew Johnson was his real name and Hyde was the alias. What to believe - ID found on the body or what they would consider Imperialist propaganda reports of the incident?

How exactly does the plane being “highly unsafe” and prone crash help your theory?

It doesn't. Nor does it do it any harm.

:ice You are the only person who mentioned sabotage. I never said anything about it at all.

That 'equivocation' started the day of the crash, the door was basically shut in the vast majority of papers and barely open in about 15%, they even said there was no indication he was shot sown AFTER his wreckage was located.

:lol::ice:zzz

And it's goodnight from me, and it's goodnight from him.

The document excerpt I am posting from is a very long document, and happened to have the following excerpt, it is presented as an irrefutable account of what the members of the PFIAB attending the meeting knew and when they knew it....

PRESIDENT'S FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE ADVISORY BOARD AGENDA FOR MEETING OF NOVEMBER 21-22, 1963 [206-10001-10003] 25 pages

Next Mr McCone reported to the board on the recent U-2 crash in the Gulf of Mexico. The whole plane had been found in 9 fathoms of water, 40 miles NW of Key West. The ejector canopy is off and the seat is cut. An empty life raft and a parachute were found. There was no attack made on the aircraft. The pilot reported a successful mission over Cuba, he flew over the Key West station on the return trip and ten minutes later he was down. When the wreckage is raised it should be possible to determine the cause.......

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=16

I have also went back and read this thread from beginning to end........and stick by my initial observations. As I have mentioned before, I do not have the time or the desire to engage Len Colby in his very time consuming "debating school"

posts, as Greg Parker did choose to; and that is not intended as a slight toward Greg. However illogical it may seem for my choosing not to do so, my "logic" is that it resolves absolutely nothing. And the posts by Len however sincere they are in his comments are a textbook example of debate methodology.

I never have regarded my responsibilities as a researcher to include being a debater, if anyone thinks I am a fool for maintaining that attitude, go to alt.assassination.jfk and get yourself an education involving point counterpoint semantics,and you might begin to see why I do not worry, or attempt to explain myself to critics.

The issues involved on this thread represent two schools of thought one is exemplified by Len, who does not acknowledge anything exceptional in the crash of the U-2 and on the other side, myself. I am inflexible in the perceptions I have regarding the loss of the U-2 piloted by Capt. Hyde, for reasons already explained.

Edited by Robert Howard

The document excerpt I am posting from is a very long document, and happened to have the following excerpt, it is presented as an irrefutable account of what the members of the PFIAB attending the meeting knew and when they knew it....

PRESIDENT'S FOREIGN INTELLIGENCE ADVISORY BOARD AGENDA FOR MEETING OF NOVEMBER 21-22, 1963 [206-10001-10003] 25 pages

Next Mr McCone reported to the board on the recent U-2 crash in the Gulf of Mexico. The whole plane had been found in 9 fathoms of water, 40 miles NW of Key West. The ejector canopy is off and the seat is cut. An empty life raft and a parachute were found. There was no attack made on the aircraft. The pilot reported a successful mission over Cuba, he flew over the Key West station on the return trip and ten minutes later he was down. When the wreckage is raised it should be possible to determine the cause.......

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...mp;relPageId=16

Thanks, Robert, but I have something which refutes what this report states. As I said to Len, "in due course". I need time to put it all together for my website.

I have also went back and read this thread from beginning to end........and stick by my initial observations. As I have mentioned before, I do not have the time or the desire to engage Len Colby in his very time consuming "debating school"

posts, as Greg Parker did choose to; and that is not intended as a slight toward Greg. However illogical it may seem for my choosing not to do so, my "logic" is that it resolves absolutely nothing. And the posts by Len however sincere they are in his comments are a textbook example of debate methodology.

It's not a question of logic, or lack thereof, though I can well understand your point of view. Mine is that the Lens of this world aren't just going to go away if everyone ignores them. In fact, that kind of plays into their hands. They get the last word, and anyone dropping by is only going to see their post - which without some of depth of knowledge could easily be mistaken for legitimate research. Not everyone need engage them. But at least some should.

I never have regarded my responsibilities as a researcher to include being a debater, if anyone thinks I am a fool for maintaining that attitude, go to alt.assassination.jfk and get yourself an education involving point counterpoint semantics,and you might begin to see why I do not worry, or attempt to explain myself to critics.

Actually the best debates took place on alt.conspiracy.jfk between LNer "Jerry" and CT "BishopM" who is a well known figure in these parts. Not only were these debates highly educational - about debating techniques AND about the assassination - they had the added bonus of being highly entertaining. Both participants deserved awards for that alone.

But that aside, I understand your point of view and do not begrudge it, belittle it, or think it wrong-headed. It is simply a matter of personal choice and proceeding in your own way.

The issues involved on this thread represent two schools of thought one is exemplified by Len, who does not acknowledge anything exceptional in the crash of the U-2 and on the other side, myself. I am inflexible in the perceptions I have regarding the loss of the U-2 piloted by Capt. Hyde, for reasons already explained.

Comments from my previous posts

“Greg’s replies”

My latest response

“No. I don't think that. What I think is that they are not good sources on the basis that they may have reason to be duplicitous”

What a wondrous example of double speak, you “don’t think that” they “are being duplicitous” but believe “they may have reason to be duplicitous”. Do you even know what you think?

“or they may in fact have no knowledge of any Northwoods style operation. Recall that the Northwoods document calls for some involved in the operation to be left out of the loop (At precisely the same time that the aircraft was presumably shot down a submarine or small surface craft would disburse F-101 parts, parachute, etc., at approximately 15 to 20 miles off the Cuban coast and depart.
The pilots returning to Homestead would have a true story as far as they knew. Search ships and aircraft could be dispatched and parts of aircraft found.
).”

Not analogous Hyde III spoke to U-2 pilots who told him how susceptible the plane was to crashing given even a +/- 3% airspeed error could bring it down. This has been confirmed by numerous sources including U-2 pilots. He also spoke to the people who carried out the crash investigation which was presumably based on radar returns and examining the wreckage. A member of the ground crew said it would not have been possible for an outsider to sabotage his plane. Hyde and the others had retired decades earlier and had no reason to be deceptive.

“As for the press accounts...most reported what they were told to report.”

Presumably they would have been “told to report” it looked like the plane had been shot down rather than the opposite if the plan was to blame Cuba.

“Sorry. I'm having real trouble grasping the concept here. It sounds like you're saying you don't know if they told you the truth or not - the important thing to you is they didn't agree with me?”

Your confusion stems from your doctoring of my original quote. The part in the brackets “[that every utterance by those spoken to about the incident was believable]” was YOUR addition. You referred to lies told by “the USG” in the snippet of your previous post I was replying to, thus “they” was obviously “the USG”.

It doesn’t matter so much if it were true that 1) there were no signs that the plane was downed by hostile fire or 2) if it presumably crashed due to a mechanical problem - the fact that the White House, SAC and other military sources were saying these things doesn’t fit with your Northwoods type scenario.

“I thought I'd made it clear I don't write scenarios. Not as a general rule - and certainly not on demand.”

Evasion noted and I can’t say that I blame you because answering would present you with a dilemma. I haven’t read the book but based on reviews its evidence (documents and witness statements) indicated an invasion coordinated by the Kennedy brothers. Rejecting their involvement would leave you without much (if any) “evidence” that such an invasion was indeed in the works but accepting their involvement wouldn’t fit with your silly theory.

“I have simply been drawing attention to the similarities of this incident to a scenario dreamt up the Joint Chiefs, and the timing of the incident being perfect for a purported invasion.”

But you choose to ignore the numerous discrepancies between what the JCS proposed and what happened.

“No, it doesn't work like that. Len. The burden here is yours. It was YOUR claim that their was nothing which differentiated this incident from other U2 incidents.”

We could go back and forth but the only people claiming there was anything odd about the crash are a blogger who calls himself (or herself) “cod$#!t “ (that’s not how they spell it), Robert and you, so sorry the burden is on you. You insinuated that the crash was anomalous, I asked you for evidence. You started from a false premise - that the wreckage was not found.

There is only evidence of one other crash in a body of water thus it is not odd that it MIGHT be the only U-2 crash in which no body was recovered. You have failed to show that was the only bodiless crash. The wreckage from the Sea of Japan crash seems not have been recovered while Hyde’s was. People who know a lot more about this than you (or I) including his son and collegues see nothing odd in Hyde’s body not being recovered. Some think he ejected at 10,000 feet but the parachute didn’t deploy.

“Happy to take your word for it though a cite would be appreciated.”

1) I provided a link, which you saw fit to edit out of your reply, so your request is disingenuous or yet another sign of your confusion.

2) The following comes from the initial post on this thread and was repeated a few times, please try and pay attention:

DMN 11-22-1963

Wreckage of Pilotless U-2 Located

KEY WEST, Fla - (AP) The wreck of a U-2 plane was found Thursday on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. But its cockpit was empty, holding out hope that its pilot Capt. Joe G. Hyde Jr

3) Robert’s post above confirms this as well

“From

Was the seat found, Len?”

What don’t you e-mail his son and ask? Why is that relevant? Acording to report Robert posted it was. Don't you think it possible that free falling 2 miles and or a shark could have removed the body from the chair?

“What you seriously doubt is your only concern. It may be pertinent if you possess greater knowledge of the subject than the authors of the document had. Do you?”

As you well know the scenario in the document called for an agile F101 being used not a cumbersome U-2, are you playing games or are you really that confused? U-2’s are difficult to land and require (or at least required at the time) another U-2 pilot in a chase car radioing instructions to the pilot. Since they only had 2 wheels they flopped over on the runway and ground crews had insert “pogos” into the wings before the plane could be towed away. Apperently it took a couple of guys to pull the wing sticking up down so that the pogo could inserted in the lower wing. Kind of hard to do that in a base not accustomed to U-2 landings without drawing attention.

“The Cubans (or at least Castro) did whatever was in his best interest. Why for instance, didn't they make a fuss about the breach of airspace?”

Irrelevant but how would “making a fuss” helped them?

“Why did they never find a legal means (or good old loophole) to tear up the Gitmo lease?”

Once again irrelevant but apparently by accepting the rent for the first year or two he was in power Castro lost the right to abrogate the lease. But even if he wanted to he didn’t have the means to expel the US, he was a bit out gunned.

"IN any case, for all the Cubans knew Johnson was his real name and Hyde was the alias. What to believe - ID found on the body or what they would consider Imperialist propaganda reports of the incident?"

Still doesn’t explain why they kept having his body a secret for over a decade. Wouldn’t it have been “in there best interest” to have said they had it sooner then getting his name right?

You have still yet to explain how they would have recovered his from US waters without being noticed by the US.

Your scenario would involve not only involve the above but them forgetting that he had gone under a different name in press reports (which included interviews with his wife and mother) otherwise they presumably would have said his name was Johnson or Hyde.

“It doesn't. Nor does it do it any harm.”

Of course it does a plane that rarely crashes like a F101 crashing (without any help) is unusual, a plane that frequently crashes doing so isn’t.

:ice
You are the only person who mentioned sabotage. I never said anything about it at all.”

Inherent from your theory which seems to be the JCS or some other group in the military made his plane crash. The only other possibility is that “they” shot him down but this was some how missed (or covered up) by the people who found and examined the wreckage.

:zzz

Typical reply of someone who doesn’t have a better one to offer. You also failed to deal with various other discrepancies notably.

1) Hyde’s plane came down 10x the distance from Cuba called for by Northwoods

2) A U-2 could not dive sharply to simulate a shoot down and be expected to recover

3) Hyde never made a distress call as called for by Northwoods

4) The plane’s entire wreckage as opposed to just a few parts was recovered

5) Northwoods called for an F101 flying in formation with others in order to have witneses, Hyde was flying alone in a U-2

6) Northwoods called for the planes not to enter Cuban airspace because having done so would greatly reduce the incident’s value as a casus belli, press reports indicated Hyde probably or definitely had violated Cuban airspace. Just a moth earlier the Pentagon acknowledged that it had resumed over flights

7) Press accounts and official statement discounted the posibility that the crash was due to hostile fire

EDIT - Typos fixed / formatted for clarity

Edited by Len Colby

[different strands of the conversation are separated by --------------]

LEN:

GREG

“No. I don't think that. What I think is that they are not good sources on the basis that they may have reason to be duplicitous”

LEN

What a wondrous example of double speak, you “don’t think that” they “are being duplicitous” but believe “they may have reason to be duplicitous”. Do you even know what you think?

GREG

Len, I’m sorry that discerning the difference is so problematic for you. It really isn’t so subtle that it should escape you.

Let’s try and simplify it even further for:

Q: Do I think they are being duplicitous?

A: No. I don’t know what they know, so make no judgement on it.

Q: Do you think they have reason to be duplicitous?

A: Yes.

Q: What’s the difference here?

A: The difference is that people who have reason to lie on a given subject make terrible witnesses whether or not they are in fact lying.

-----------------------------

GREG

“or they may in fact have no knowledge of any Northwoods style operation. Recall that the Northwoods document calls for some involved in the operation to be left out of the loop (At precisely the same time that the aircraft was presumably shot down a submarine or small surface craft would disburse F-101 parts, parachute, etc., at approximately 15 to 20 miles off the Cuban coast and depart. The pilots returning to Homestead would have a true story as far as they knew. Search ships and aircraft could be dispatched and parts of aircraft found.).”

LEN

Not analogous Hyde III spoke to U-2 pilots who told him how susceptible the plane was to crashing given even a +/- 3% airspeed error could bring it down. This has been confirmed by numerous sources including U-2 pilots.

GREG

So… U2 pilots provided confirmation for……….. U2 pilots. Interesting.

And in other news, Charlie’s girls confirm Manson’s innocence, the CIA confirms Lee Harvey Oswald had no intelligence connections and Ronald McDonald confirms that Hamburgler has been fully rehabilitated.

LEN

He also spoke to the people who carried out the crash investigation which was presumably based on radar returns and examining the wreckage.

GREG

Where might one examine the report no doubt generated by this investigation?

--------------------------------

LEN

A member of the ground crew said it would not have been possible for an outsider to sabotage his plane. Hyde and the others had retired decades earlier and had no reason to be deceptive.

GREG

Again, I have not mentioned sabotage. Nor does the Northwoods document in the context you put it in. It is a red herring.

---------------------------------

GREG

LEN

Presumably they would have been “told to report” it looked like the plane had been shot down rather than the opposite if the plan was to blame Cuba.

GREG

Not necessarily. They only had to keep that door open while they decided whether to go ahead or abandon the plan.

LEN

GREG

“Sorry. I'm having real trouble grasping the concept here. It sounds like you're saying you don't know if they told you the truth or not - the important thing to you is they didn't agree with me?”

LEN

Your confusion stems from your doctoring of my original quote. The part in the brackets “[that every utterance by those spoken to about the incident was believable]” was YOUR addition. You referred to lies told by “the USG” in the snippet of your previous post I was replying to, thus “they” was obviously “the USG”.

GREG

And who employed the ground crew of the U2? Ringling Bros Circus, or the USG?

LEN

It doesn’t matter so much if it were true that 1) there were no signs that the plane was downed by hostile fire or 2) if it presumably crashed due to a mechanical problem - the fact that the White House, SAC and other military sources were saying these things doesn’t fit with your Northwoods type scenario.

GREG

Wrong for reasons stated above.

LEN

GREG

LEN

Evasion noted and I can’t say that I blame you because answering would present you with a dilemma. I haven’t read the book but based on reviews its evidence (documents and witness statements) indicated an invasion coordinated by the Kennedy brothers. Rejecting their involvement would leave you without much (if any) “evidence” that such an invasion was indeed in the works but accepting their involvement wouldn’t fit with your silly theory.

GREG

What “evasion”? I did not “evade” you on this. I have answered you. That I won’t jump at your command to write something I don’t have the expertise to write, is of scant concern to me – and certainly has no bearing on where the truth may lie.

----------------------------------

GREG

“I have simply been drawing attention to the similarities of this incident to a scenario dreamt up the Joint Chiefs, and the timing of the incident being perfect for a purported invasion.”

LEN

But you choose to ignore the numerous discrepancies between what the JCS proposed and what happened.

GREG

Because anyone can find discrepancies between a plan and the actual end result. That holds true whether you’re talking about plans for building an outhouse or plans for an intelligence operations – or anything in between. And Northwoods was not a final document. What it contained was ideas/recommendations.

Show me any intel planning that was ever carried out exactly the way it was planned. The basics of what happened fit the general thrust of Northwoods, as does the timing and other factors.

LEN

GREG

“No, it doesn't work like that. Len. The burden here is yours. It was YOUR claim that their was nothing which differentiated this incident from other U2 incidents.”

LEN

We could go back and forth but the only people claiming there was anything odd about the crash are a blogger who calls himself (or herself) “cod$#!t “ [GREG INTERJECTING: Ahem.That is not what the person calls himself. That is what he calls his blog.] (that’s not how they spell it), Robert and you, so sorry the burden is on you. You insinuated that the crash was anomalous, I asked you for evidence. You started from a false premise - that the wreckage was not found.

GREG

Yes, Len. On this, I was in error, having forgotten that the wreckage was allegedly found a day later.

LEN

There is only evidence of one other crash in a body of water thus it is not odd that it MIGHT be the only U-2 crash in which no body was recovered. You have failed to show that was the only bodiless crash. The wreckage from the Sea of Japan crash seems not have been recovered while Hyde’s was. People who know a lot more about this than you (or I) including his son and collegues see nothing odd in Hyde’s body not being recovered. Some think he ejected at 10,000 feet but the parachute didn’t deploy.

GREG

I do have more on this, but it might be premature to go into it here. Apologies, but I want to ensure as best I can I’m not seeding misinformation.

LEN

GREG

“Happy to take your word for it though a cite would be appreciated.”

LEN

1) I provided a link, which you saw fit to edit out of your reply, so your request is disingenuous or yet another sign of your confusion.

GREG

One of the links didn’t work.

LEN

2) The following comes from the initial post on this thread and was repeated a few times, please try and pay attention:

***As I said, I forgot. Terrible short-term memory. However, in a years time, the bell would have rung…

DMN 11-22-1963

Wreckage of Pilotless U-2 Located

KEY WEST, Fla - (AP) The wreck of a U-2 plane was found Thursday on the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico. But its cockpit was empty, holding out hope that its pilot Capt. Joe G. Hyde Jr

3) Robert’s post above confirms this as well

“From http://swtexaslive.com/october2006/hydeAt 10,000 feet, and according to procedure that that time, he attempted to eject. However, the sink rate and centrifugal G-forces of the spin during long fall exceeded the operational capabilities of the ejection seat. They doubt his parachute ever deployed.

GREG

LEN

What don’t you e-mail his son and ask? Why is that relevant? Acording to report Robert posted it was. Don't you think it possible that free falling 2 miles and or a shark could have removed the body from the chair?

GREG

Sharks don’t have opposable thumbs, Len.

LEN

GREG

“What you seriously doubt is your only concern. It may be pertinent if you possess greater knowledge of the subject than the authors of the document had. Do you?”

LEN

As you well know the scenario in the document called for an agile F101 being used not a cumbersome U-2, are you playing games or are you really that confused? U-2’s are difficult to land and require (or at least required at the time) another U-2 pilot in a chase car radioing instructions to the pilot. Since they only had 2 wheels they flopped over on the runway and ground crews had insert “pogos” into the wings before the plane could be towed away. Apperently it took a couple of guys to pull the wing sticking up down so that the pogo could inserted in the lower wing. Kind of hard to do that in a base not accustomed to U-2 landings without drawing attention.

GREG

There are a number of suggestions in the document. The ones needing aircraft mainly refer to drones/U2s. The one suggestion concerning an F101 could have been changed to a U2, as well – notwithstanding your objections to such an idea.

LEN

GREG

“The Cubans (or at least Castro) did whatever was in his best interest. Why for instance, didn't they make a fuss about the breach of airspace?”

LEN

GREG

Castro has been known to talk for many many hours after less provocations from the US. He was allegedly very keen to rid Cuba of the US base, and to do it peacefully. Propaganda and a call to the UN to complain surely were indicated as measured responses? If so, why are both absent?

GREG

“Why did they never find a legal means (or good old loophole) to tear up the Gitmo lease?”

LEN

Once again irrelevant but apparently by accepting the rent for the first year or two he was in power Castro lost the right to abrogate the lease. But even if he wanted to he didn’t have the means to expel the US, he was a bit out gunned.

GREG

I’ve read that he never cashed any of the checks.

And he had a perfect opportunity in ’61 (No – not BoP) to force the US out, but failed to act.

GREG

"IN any case, for all the Cubans knew Johnson was his real name and Hyde was the alias. What to believe - ID found on the body or what they would consider Imperialist propaganda reports of the incident?"

LEN

Still doesn’t explain why they kept having his body a secret for over a decade. Wouldn’t it have been “in there best interest” to have said they had it sooner then getting his name right?

You have still yet to explain how they would have recovered his from US waters without being noticed by the US.

GREG

Without a body – you don’t know what happened to him. You are taking the word of the authorities – though you rather strangely deny doing so.

LEN

Your scenario would involve not only involve the above but them forgetting that he had gone under a different name in press reports (which included interviews with his wife and mother) otherwise they presumably would have said his name was Johnson or Hyde.

GREG

???? Sorry. Can’t make out what you mean.

----------------------------

LEN

GREG

LEN

Of course it does a plane that rarely crashes like a F101 crashing (without any help) is unusual, a plane that frequently crashes doing so isn’t.

GREG

So if Len Colby was running Northwoods, he’d crash a plane that rarely crashes – thus drawing more questions than he may be able to answer?

Not me. I’d use a plane that has a history of either crashing or being shot down. The latter is what you want it to look like – but the former gives you wiggle room to back out of a pretext invasion should the plan be aborted after the “incident”. “Hey, it wasn’t shot down, it just crashed like all those others. Doh!”

LEN

GREG

You are the only person who mentioned sabotage. I never said anything about it at all.

LEN

Inherent from your theory which seems to be the JCS or some other group in the military made his plane crash. The only other possibility is that “they” shot him down but this was some how missed (or covered up) by the people who found and examined the wreckage.

GREG

You seemed determined to write a scenario for me based on every bad idea you can dream up. So knock yourself out and write it for chrissakes. Just don’t put my name to it – or pretend that it has any validity.

GREG

LEN

Typical reply of someone who doesn’t have a better one to offer. You also failed to deal with various other discrepancies notably.

2) A U-2 could not dive sharply to simulate a shoot down and be expected to recover

5) Northwoods called for an F101 flying in formation with others in order to have witneses, Hyde was flying alone in a U-2

6) Northwoods called for the planes not to enter Cuban airspace because having done so would greatly reduce the incident’s value as a casus belli, press reports indicated Hyde probably or definitely had violated Cuban airspace. Just a moth earlier the Pentagon acknowledged that it had resumed over flights

7) Press accounts and official statement discounted the posibility that the crash was due to hostile fire

EDIT - Typos fixed / formatted for clarity

This post has been edited by Len Colby: Today, 01:36 A

GREG

Have answered some and ignored others as they are meaningless.

[different strands of the conversation are separated by --------------]

LEN:

GREG

LEN

GREG

Len, I’m sorry that discerning the difference is so problematic for you. It really isn’t so subtle that it should escape you.

A: The difference is that people who have reason to lie on a given subject make terrible witnesses whether or not they are in fact lying.

LEN –

So you don’t trust press accounts, internal “top secret” government documents (not meant for public consumption), or the word Hyde’s colleagues or even his own son because they have reason to lie in your mind. Very convenient because that’s all we have to go on and it allows you to pick and choose which information to accept, any that contradicts you is brushed off as unreliable. Why exactly would Hyde’s son and colleagues, all long retired lie about this? Having served in the U-2 program decades earlier is not a reason to doubt their word. There is no basis for your assumption they are duplicitous by nature or “have reason to lie”. They were not covert ops, they didn’t even work for an intelligence agency - they simply were Air Force pilots, flight controllers and ground crew men. The behavior of most USS Liberty survivors is instructive. They were also involved in intelligence gathering, some were in the NSA, but they have been very vocal in contradicting the official USG position and often accusing top level White House government officials of conducting a cover up.

Suggesting Hyde III is participating in the cover up of his father’s murder without even a hint of supporting evidence is abhorrent.

GREG

“or they may in fact have no knowledge of any Northwoods style operation. Recall that the Northwoods document calls for some involved in the operation to be left out of the loop (At precisely the same time that the aircraft was presumably shot down a submarine or small surface craft would disburse F-101 parts, parachute, etc., at approximately 15 to 20 miles off the Cuban coast and depart. The pilots returning to Homestead would have a true story as far as they knew. Search ships and aircraft could be dispatched and parts of aircraft found.).”

LEN

Not analogous Hyde III spoke to U-2 pilots who told him how susceptible the plane was to crashing given even a +/- 3% airspeed error could bring it down. This has been confirmed by numerous sources including U-2 pilots.

GREG

And in other news, Charlie’s girls confirm Manson’s innocence, the CIA confirms Lee Harvey Oswald had no intelligence connections and Ronald McDonald confirms that Hamburgler has been fully rehabilitated.

LEN-

So being a U2 pilot is analogous to being a murderer? And the pilots interviewed for articles unrelated to the Hyde story are part of a decades old cover up? These pilots are all covering up the murder of one of their own? You’re stretching more than Richard Simmons.

Can you think of anyone more qualified to comment on a plane’s vulnerabilities than the pilots who flew it?

LEN

He also spoke to the people who carried out the crash investigation which was presumably based on radar returns and examining the wreckage.

GREG

LEN –

Unlike NTSB and FAA reports about civilian accidents, FBI and military crash reports are not normally made public, that would especially apply to a report concerning a top secret plane like the U-2. As I previously suggested (I can’t remember if it was to you or Robert) if you really are interested you could file an FOIA request.

LEN

A member of the ground crew said it would not have been possible for an outsider to sabotage his plane. Hyde and the others had retired decades earlier and had no reason to be deceptive.

GREG

Again, I have not mentioned sabotage. Nor does the Northwoods document in the context you put it in. It is a red herring.

LEN - In the Northwoods proposal no plane would crash and no pilot would be killed, that doesn’t seem to be what you are suggesting happened. How else would a plane be made to crash? Either that or shoot it down. If something is inherent from what you propose it is just as much part of your "theory" as what you say outright, hiding behind the "I never said that ruse" not withstanding.

GREG

LEN

GREG

Not necessarily. They only had to keep that door open while they decided whether to go ahead or abandon the plan.

LEN-

So they didn’t wait for the final decision to murder one of the country’s top military pilots and destroy a very expensive plane? Wouldn’t it have made more sense to do so only after they decided to go through with the plan? Can you give:

- a reasonable explanation for such odd behavior or

- an example of the plug been pulled on such a plan after sacrificing such valuable resources?

Even so this doesn’t explain why the stories weren’t at least neutral, “informed military sources said it is clear at this point if the plane was shot down or crashed due to mechanical problems” rather than “the U-2 pilot did not radio any indication of trouble before the crash and the plane presumably went down due to mechanical trouble... Both the Defense Department and the Strategic Air Command headquarters at Omaha, Nebraska said that there was no evidence that the sleek one man plane which flies at admitted heights of 75,000 feet had met with hostile action over Cuba.”

LEN

GREG

LEN

GREG

And who employed the ground crew of the U2? Ringling Bros Circus, or the USG?

LEN-

Presumably you are smart enough to understand that by “USG” I was referring to upper echelon leaders rather than enlisted men from the ground crew since you obviously had used the term in that context.

LEN

GREG

Wrong for reasons stated above.

LEN-

Right (me), wrong (you) “for reasons stated above”

-----------------

LEN

Speaking of your scenario do you think JFK or RFK were "in on" the 12/63 'invasion' of Cuba?

GREG

LEN

GREG

What “evasion”? I did not “evade” you on this. I have answered you. That I won’t jump at your command to write something I don’t have the expertise to write, is of scant concern to me – and certainly has no bearing on where the truth may lie.

LEN-

You are conflating ‘answering’ with responding. Saying ‘I don’t want to answer that’, is the latter not the former and in this case - evasion. I’m not asking you for a detailed scenario, it’s a ‘yes/no question’. Either response of course would undermine your theory. The question IS relevant because YOU cited proximity of the date of the supposed planned invasion as a reason to be suspicious of the crash, but Kennedy being the organized of the supposed invasion doesn’t fit your “theory” very well.

GREG

LEN

GREG

Because anyone can find discrepancies between a plan and the actual end result. That holds true whether you’re talking about plans for building an outhouse or plans for an intelligence operations – or anything in between. And Northwoods was not a final document. What it contained was ideas/recommendations.

Show me any intel planning that was ever carried out exactly the way it was planned. The basics of what happened fit the general thrust of Northwoods, as does the timing and other factors.

LEN –

Let’s compare Northwoods with what happened:

Northwoods

Plane involved -F101

Hyde crash

Plane involved – U2

Northwoods

Fake crash, no plane would be destroyed or pilot killed. None of the proposals included killing Americans though some Cuban refugees MIGHT have been killed under one proposal. None of the proposals included the destruction of real planes.

Hyde crash

Real crash, very expensive plane destroyed, ace pilot killed

Northwoods

Plane was not to enter Cuban airspace thus making it’s downing a better casus belli

Hyde crash

Press reports either said it had presumably been in Cuban airspace or said outright that it had.

Northwoods

Plane was to crash 15 – 20 miles from Cuba, in order to implicate the Cubans

Hyde crash

Plane crashed 180 miles from Cuba far out of range of the country’s air defenses.

Northwoods

Cuba was to be blamed

Hyde crash

Internal government documents and government press releases all exonerated the Cubans All press accounts said the presumed cause was mechanical failure. While on the day the story broke (11/21) a small number of papers (about 15%) reported it presumably cause due to mechanical failure but possibility it was shot down.

Northwoods

Incident was to be used as an excuse to invade Cuba

Hyde crash

No attempt was made to invade the island nation

You’re right they’re so similar!!

(see link to the document below)

GREG

Yes, Len. On this, I was in error, having forgotten that the wreckage was allegedly found a day later.

LEN-

“Allegedly? Do you have any reason to doubt it was? Newspaper articles even identified which ship the divers who found it came from and were fairly specific about the location. If it was a lie a literal boatload of people would have known, no make that 2 boatloads:

“Navy officials said divers from the salvage ship Petrel still had not determined whether Capt. Joe G. Hyde Jr., 33, of LaGrange, Ga., parachuted from the plane b e f o r e it crashed Wednesday on the way home from a reconnaissance mission over Cuba. The Navy said the Petrel and the minesweeper Shrike might try to raise the wreckage of the sleek, high-flying plane later today.

The wreckage is located about 40 miles northwest of here in the Gulf or Mexico, an area favored by shrimp trawlers.”

UPI 11/22/63

Note how it was stated un ambiguously the plane was returning from a “mission over Cuba”, note also that despite Robert’s claim the story was buried it was the 2nd most prominent story on the front page after the assassination.

But back to our starting point, what if anything was anomalous about the crash?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

LEN

GREG

I do have more on this, but it might be premature to go into it here. Apologies, but I want to ensure as best I can I’m not seeding misinformation.

LEN-

I won’t hold my breath

-------------------------------

LEN

“From http://swtexaslive.com/october2006/hyde . At 10,000 feet, and according to procedure that that time, he attempted to eject. However, the sink rate and centrifugal G-forces of the spin during long fall exceeded the operational capabilities of the ejection seat. They doubt his parachute ever deployed.

GREG

LEN

What don’t you e-mail his son and ask? Why is that relevant? According to the report Robert posted it was. Don't you think it possible that free falling 2 miles and or a shark could have removed the body from the chair?

GREG

Sharks don’t have opposable thumbs, Len.

LEN-

But they have lots of very sharp "opposable" teeth. Free falling several miles at speeds probably surpassing hundreds of MPH an then hitting the water might have detached his body from the chair as well.

-------------------------------------

LEN

As you well know the scenario in the document called for an agile F101 being used not a cumbersome U-2, are you playing games or are you really that confused? U-2’s are difficult to land and require (or at least required at the time) another U-2 pilot in a chase car radioing instructions to the pilot. Since they only had 2 wheels they flopped over on the runway and ground crews had insert “pogos” into the wings before the plane could be towed away. Apparently it took a couple of guys to pull the wing sticking up down so that the pogo could inserted in the lower wing. Kind of hard to do that in a base not accustomed to U-2 landings without drawing attention.

GREG

There are a number of suggestions in the document. The ones needing aircraft mainly refer to drones/

U2s.

LEN-

Wrong again, there was no mention of U-2’s anywhere in the proposal. But let’s supposed you know of some other Northwoods document - why then did you cite a snippet referring to an F101? Why did you seem to have conflated the two (very different) aircraft?

Northwoods document (the proposals are on pages 10 – 15)

Unfortunately the document was not transformed into text. The most complete searchable/copyable version I could find was this one.

-----------------------------------------------------------

GREG

The one suggestion concerning an F101 could have been changed to a U2, as well – notwithstanding your objections to such an idea.

LEN

And this would be yet another discrepancy. Basically they only similarity you’ve been able to point out is that both involved Air Force jets crashing in the Gulf.

LEN

GREG

LEN

GREG

Castro has been known to talk for many many hours after less provocations from the US. He was allegedly very keen to rid Cuba of the US base, and to do it peacefully. Propaganda and a call to the UN to complain surely were indicated as measured responses? If so, why are both absent?

GREG

LEN

GREG

I’ve read that he never cashed any of the checks.

And he had a perfect opportunity in ’61 (No – not BoP) to force the US out, but failed to act.

LEN-

I have no idea why you think any of the above is relevant. You have yet to explain why it would have been in Castro’s “best interest” to cover up the fact they had the body or why if they miraculously recovered Hyde’s body why the Cubans didn’t seem to know who he was.

As for Guantanamo Castro could have demand the US leave all he wanted but unless he was willing to use force there isn’t much he could have done.

GREG

LEN

Still doesn’t explain why they kept having his body a secret for over a decade. Wouldn’t it have been “in their best interest” to have said they had it sooner then getting his name right?

Also the use of an alias was predicated on scenario where no one would actually die, thus a real name couldn’t be used. Why kill a real guy give him a fake identity and then give his real name to the press and even interview his wife and mother? Your “theory” is very convoluted.

----------------------------------------

GREG

Without a body – you don’t know what happened to him. You are taking the word of the authorities – though you rather strangely deny doing so.

LEN-

No, I’m taking the word of the authorities AND that of lower level people AND his son. You have yet to produce any reason for the loss of his body to be suspicious. I don’t see a coherent theory here. You seem to think the Cubans some how managed to recover his body from about 100 feet down in a location 40 miles northwest of Key West unnoticed by US forces and for reasons unknown both they and the US covered it up. You do know that if a Cuban military vessel were spotted in US territorial waters in 1963 US ships and fighters probably would have ‘shot first and asked questions later’?

-----------------------------------------------------------

LEN

Your scenario would not only involve the above but them forgetting that he had gone under a different name in press reports (which included interviews with his wife and mother) otherwise they presumably would have said his name was Johnson or Hyde.

GREG

???? Sorry. Can’t make out what you mean.

LEN – I’m not sure what the problem is, press reports said his name was Hyde, the Cuban government was aware of these reports. Some included interviews with his wife and mother (both named Hyde as well). How do you explain then they didn’t say, his name was “Johnson or Hyde”?

----------------------------

LEN

GREG

LEN

GREG

So if Len Colby was running Northwoods, he’d crash a plane that rarely crashes – thus drawing more questions than he may be able to answer?

Not me. I’d use a plane that has a history of either crashing or being shot down. The latter is what you want it to look like – but the former gives you wiggle room to back out of a pretext invasion should the plan be aborted after the “incident”. “Hey, it wasn’t shot down, it just crashed like all those others. Doh!”

LEN-

You are continuing to push the bizarre theory they would have crashed the plane and killed its pilot before making the final decision whether to go through with the invasion and then almost as soon as the plane crashed and for no apparent reason decided to call the whole thing off

LEN

GREG

You are the only person who mentioned sabotage. I never said anything about it at all.

LEN

GREG

You seemed determined to write a scenario for me based on every bad idea you can dream up. So knock yourself out and write it for chrissakes. Just don’t put my name to it – or pretend that it has any validity.

LEN-

The ‘theory’ is yours, the problem is it makes absolutely no sense which is why you can’t ‘flesh out’ a reasonable scenario. You believe people in the government made his plane crash but are unwilling to acknowledge that would entail sabotaging it or shooting it down.

LEN You also failed to deal with various other discrepancies notably.

6) Northwoods called for the planes not to enter Cuban airspace because having done so would greatly reduce the incident’s value as a casus belli, press reports indicated Hyde probably or definitely had violated Cuban airspace. Just a month earlier the Pentagon acknowledged that it had resumed over flights

GREG

Have answered some and ignored others as they are meaningless.

LEN –

More likely you chose not to respond to them because you don’t have reasonable answers. 1, 6 & 7 are serious discrepancies

LEN:

GREG

LEN

GREG

LEN –

So you don’t trust press accounts, internal “top secret” government documents (not meant for public consumption), or the word Hyde’s colleagues or even his own son because they have reason to lie in your mind. Very convenient because that’s all we have to go on and it allows you to pick and choose which information to accept, any that contradicts you is brushed off as unreliable. Why exactly would Hyde’s son and colleagues, all long retired lie about this? Having served in the U-2 program decades earlier is not a reason to doubt their word. There is no basis for your assumption they are duplicitous by nature or “have reason to lie”. They were not covert ops, they didn’t even work for an intelligence agency - they simply were Air Force pilots, flight controllers and ground crew men. The behavior of most USS Liberty survivors is instructive. They were also involved in intelligence gathering, some were in the NSA, but they have been very vocal in contradicting the official USG position and often accusing top level White House government officials of conducting a cover up.

Suggesting Hyde III is participating in the cover up of his father’s murder without even a hint of supporting evidence is abhorrent.

At long last, sir, have you no decency? I suggested no such thing. I merely indicated why I would not personally use them as witnesses, or seek their opinions.

GREG

LEN

GREG

LEN-

So being a U2 pilot is analogous to being a murderer?

You need to learn the nature of analogies. Any vestige of credibility you had as an honest advocate of the government line just headed south faster than a speeding CIA cable to Mexico City.

And the pilots interviewed for articles unrelated to the Hyde story are part of a decades old cover up? These pilots are all covering up the murder of one of their own? You’re stretching more than Richard Simmons.

Can you think of anyone more qualified to comment on a plane’s vulnerabilities than the pilots who flew it?

Were these interviews done via seances? Isn't it your position that most of those dudes done died in desperate drone deathspins?

LEN

GREG

LEN –

Unlike NTSB and FAA reports about civilian accidents, FBI and military crash reports are not normally made public, that would especially apply to a report concerning a top secret plane like the U-2. As I previously suggested (I can’t remember if it was to you or Robert) if you really are interested you could file an FOIA request.

I don't have the time or the resources for appeals. If someone in the US wants to volunteer to try and get it - then great. I don't believe there was any real crash, in any case.

LEN

GREG

LEN - In the Northwoods proposal no plane would crash and no pilot would be killed, that doesn’t seem to be what you are suggesting happened.

That is exactly what I'm suggesting was
meant
to happen.

My most recent replies in bold

LEN:

GREG

LEN

GREG

LEN –

At long last, sir, have you no decency? I suggested no such thing. I merely indicated why I would not personally use them as witnesses, or seek their opinions.

I have no interest in getting into a semantic battle, you said they , including Hyde III, “have reason to lie” but offered no legitimate justification for this. So yes you suggested he might be lying and the only reason would be to cover up what happened.

GREG

LEN

GREG

LEN-

So being a U2 pilot is analogous to being a murderer?

You need to learn the nature of analogies. Any vestige of credibility you had as an honest advocate of the government line just headed south faster than a speeding CIA cable to Mexico City.

See if you can rephrase your analogy without equating them to killers or criminals.

And the pilots interviewed for articles unrelated to the Hyde story are part of a decades old cover up? These pilots are all covering up the murder of one of their own? You’re stretching more than Richard Simmons.

Were these interviews done via seances? Isn't it your position that most of those dudes done died in desperate drone deathspins?

????? You don’t think U-2 pilots who flew the plane for years and survived are qualified to explain the dangers of flying it? Where did I ever indicate that “most” U-2 pilots died in crashed, many and most are quite different and some pilots survived crashes.

LEN

GREG

LEN –

I don't have the time or the resources for appeals. If someone in the US wants to volunteer to try and get it - then great.

I don’t think it’s that big a deal, Mike from 9/11 Myths who lives in England does it all the time.

I don't believe there was any real crash, in any case.

So what happened to Joe Hyde Jr.? Where did the wreckage come from? Were the radar operators who saw the plane plummet in on it too? Weren’t you pushing the theory that the Cuban’s gringo on Ice was Hyde? Humorously you contradict yourself below.

LEN

GREG

LEN - In the Northwoods proposal no plane would crash and no pilot would be killed, that doesn’t seem to be what you are suggesting happened.

That is exactly what I'm suggesting was
meant
to happen.

In other words Hyde’s U-2 “was meant to” dive like the F101 in the Northwoods proposal in order to simulate a shootdown but something went wrong and he really crashed?

1) You just said you didn’t “believe there was any real crash”

2) A U-2 could not dive in that manner

3) Contrary to Northwoods Hyde made no distress call

4) Contrary to Northwoods no effort was made to blame Cuba

5) Contrary to Northwoods it was reported Hyde had violated Cuban airspace.

6) Contrary to Northwoods Hyde’s plane came down far from Cuba

The last is a problem (for your “theory”) because it would have been out of range of Cuban anti-aircraft fire and fighters.

• 1 year later...

Not quite ready to be put out to pasture....

U-2 Spy Plane Evades the Day of Retirement

By CHRISTOPHER DREW

The New York Times

Published: March 21, 2010

The U-2 spy plane, the high-flying aircraft that was often at the heart of cold war suspense, is enjoying an encore.

Four years ago, the Pentagon was ready to start retiring the plane, which took its first test flight in 1955. But Congress blocked that, saying the plane was still useful.

And so it is. Because of updates in the use of its powerful sensors, it has become the most sought-after spy craft in a very different war in Afghanistan.....

Complete article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/22/business/22plane.html

Has anyone looked at the early replacement proposals for the U2 (dating from early sixties I think) with the advent of the space era?

Has anyone looked at the early replacement proposals for the U2 (dating from early sixties I think) with the advent of the space era?

The U2 was supposed to be replaced by the CORONA spy satellite, though the photos still were sent to the Kodak HQ "Hawkeye Works" to be developed and then sent to the NPIC at the Steuart Garage at 5th & K streets in DC for analysis. Then NPIC transfered to US Navy Yard at Anacosta in Jan. 1963, and that's where the Z-film was taken on two occassions within a few days of the assassination.

In any case, has anyone determined what the mission was of the U2 that crashed/shot down on Nov. 20, 1963? What was it looking for?

BK

Edited by William Kelly

The U-2, like the SR-71, has the advantage of being able to be tasked to any area at very short notice. Satellites can only image the areas under their orbital path. They can change orbits, but to do so is prohibitively expensive in RCS fuel.

The U-2, like the SR-71, has the advantage of being able to be tasked to any area at very short notice. Satellites can only image the areas under their orbital path. They can change orbits, but to do so is prohibitively expensive in RCS fuel.

Exactly my point. So what was the mission?

It wasn't to take pictures of Cuban girls on the beach.

Bk