The Education Forum

JFK Assassination: The Asian Connection

Jack Anderson served alongside Capt. John Birch, Capt. Mitchell L. WerBell III, S/Sgt. Robert Emmett Johnson, USMC, Major John Singlaub, Lt. Roger Hillsman, et al. !! (Gerry Hemming)

It's a pity that Gerry seems to be no longer posting as this information is tantalising to say the least.

I assume Gerry means they were all in China during the Second World War. John Birch was a member of the China Air Task Force when he was killed in 1945. Anderson worked as a foreign correspondent in China. He disliked this work and managed to get involved with the Office of Strategic Services (OSS). This is where he made his future CIA contacts including Phil Graham who I suspect helped him get the job with Drew Pearson on the Washington Post in 1947. Mitchell WerBell was also a member of the OSS and saw action in Burma and China. Singlaub was in the OSS in France but moved to China in the final stages of the war. Unfortunately I know very little about Robert Emmett Johnson's war record. Hillsmen was in China but I do not see this as being significant. However, it might have helped shape his views on Vietnam where he was a JFK dove. As a result he was sacked by LBJ after the assassination.

There were other interesting figures in China working with the OSS. This includes William Pawley, Tommy Corcoran, Whitey Willauer, Claire Lee Chennault, Paul Helliwell, E. Howard Hunt, Lucien Conein and Ray Cline.

Why was this important?

(1) This was the first time that these right-wingers joined forces with drug lords to fight communism. According to an article in the Wall Street Journal, these OSS members in China were paid for their work with five-pound sacks of opium. When most of these became members of the CIA they continued this relationship with criminals. This was especially true of Cuba in the 1950s and South-East Asia in the 1960s and 1970s. Ted Shackley became the leader of this group and as well as the assassination of JFK they were also the core members of the Iran-Contra scandal.

(2) The other reason China is important is that it was the first time that the intelligence services began to do "private jobs" for right-wing businessmen. Tommy Concoran was the main instigator of this program. Later William Pawley was to play a central role in this. This started in Guatemala in 1954 but then spread to other countries in Latin America. Operation 40 was used to assassinate people who got in their way.

For the full story see the thread on Assassination, Terrorism and the Arms Trade: The Contracting Out of U.S. Foreign Policy: 1940-2006.

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=5799

A friend of mine has just been reading Gold Warriors: America's Secret Recovery of Yamaxxxxa's Gold by Sterling and Peggy Seagrave. He phoned me last night and suggested that there might be a connection between my theories on the JFK assassination and the information included in the book. For example, here is a reviews that appear on the Amazon website:

Reviewer: Robert D. Steele (Oakton, VA United States)

This book is earth-shattering and faith-shaking, a well-documented tale of deceit at the highest levels of the US government. So controversial and potentially explosive are the findings of this book, to wit, that the White House recovered most of the Nazi and Japanese loot and created a secret slush fund for covert political operations world-wide, that the authors go the extra mile and offer, at a nominal price, two CD-ROMS containing 60,000 pages of supporting documentation including the Japanese treasure maps used by the US to recover the gold and other valuables.

Major players include Presidents Truman, Eisenhower, and Nixon, both Allen and John Foster Dulles, Douglas MacArthur, John McCloy, and the famous unconventional warrior Edward Lansdale. What we learn from this book is that those writing about "blowback" (the consequences of unwise US actions) have barely scratched the surface. What we learn is that rather than truly seeking to help the Japanese, Chinese, and other looted nations recover in the aftermath of WWII, the most senior leaders of the US government, no doubt with the best of intentions, actually conspired with Nazi bankers and the Japanese imperial family to create a Black Eagle Trust controlled by a very select hand-picked cabal in Washington.

Originally used to fight communism, the Black Eagle Trust, according to the authors and as thoroughly documented by the book and the two CD-ROMS (which I am happy to have in hand), quickly became a global slush fund used to bribe national leaders and manipulate elections around the world. This fund remains in existence today, making the Swiss Holocaust funds seem like loose-change. According to the authors, major banks are "addicted" to the funds and would face collapse if public investigations resulted in a forced return of this gold and related certificates to the rightful owners.

The authors have produced a magnificent work of both scholarship and investigative journalism. They document the extent of Japanese looting of Korea (beginning in 1895) and China as well as the other countries in the "co-prosperity sphere." They document the manner in which Japan hid most of the gold in the Philippines (some in Indonesia), and were forced to leave it there from 1943 onwards, when US submarine interdiction became too effective to risk shipments homeward.

I found the level of detail in this book to be quite gripping. The ingenious nature of the Japanese burial sites, with caverns below the more obvious tunnels, with sea-water protection, with maps created in reverse--and the in-bred cruelty of the Japanese, thinking nothing of burying all of the US and other national slave labor *and the Japanese engineers* alive as the final stage of protecting the looted treasure, leave one stunned.

The authors document the central role played by Lansdale in recognizing the opportunity and then briefing MacArthur and then President Truman. According to the authors, the architects of the Black Eagle Trust were three advisors to President's Roosevelt's Secretary of War, Henry Stimson: John McCloy (later head of the World Bank), Robert Lovett (later Secretary of Defense), and Robert Anderson (later Secretary of the Treasury). They made the case to Roosevelt, and presumably to Truman after Roosevelt died, that it would be impractical to return the looted gold to the rightful owners, in part because many of the looted countries were now under Soviet control.

The authors, who conducted many interviews in support of the work, including interviews of former CIA deputy director Ray Cline, who they say was involved with Lansdale and the gold in the 1940's and remained involved with the black gold through the 1980's, provide copies of documents showing the redirection of the looted gold to 176 bank accounts in 42 countries. The gold was then used to support the creation of gold bearer certificates that were in turned used to bribe the most senior officials around the world.

The authors tell a shocking tale of how quickly MacArthur chose to collaborate with the very leadership of Japan that declared war on the USA and was responsible for genocide and looting in Asia on a scale rarely achieved by anyone else. Bringing the story up to date, the authors show how prior attempts to investigate the Black Eagle Trust have led to the ruin of individuals such as Norbert Schlei, at one time deputy attorney general to Presidents Kennedy and Johnson. While I have no direct knowledge and cannot be certain myself, I believe the authors have provided a sufficiently compelling case to warrant an international investigation concurrently with a General Accounting Office investigation to be chartered by Congress with unlimited supeona powers specifically directed against classified personalities and archives.

If this story is true, and I personally think that it is, then the US government, in active collusion with the very people the American people fought to defeat in WWII, has been guilty of fraud and depravity on a global scale and against the best interests of both the American people, and the against the rightful owners of the looted gold and other treasures. The authors may well have uncovered the last really big secret of the post-WW II era, and in so doing, opened the way for a restoration of the balance of power among diverse nations, and a sharp delimitation of the abuses that appear to characterize American leadership when it thinks it can rely on secret gold and stolen oil to engage in imperial adventures and domestic improprieties. As an American citizen and voter, and as a person of faith who believes that we must do unto others as we would have them do unto us, I find this book to be shocking, credible, and a basis for popular outrage and demands for truth and reconciliation.

Some interesting names appear in this conspiracy, Allen and John Foster Dulles, Douglas MacArthur, John McCloy, Ray Cline, Robert Anderson, Edward Lansdale, Frank Wisner, etc. My friend tells me that one of the key figures in this conspiracy was Paul Helliwell. I think the book might be worth reading.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John

Nazi gold is one of the areas that tie John J. McCloy and (at the time) Col. Edwin A. Walker together during WWII.

The story goes like this:

Bernard Bernstein, an assistant to Sec. of the Treasury Henry Morgenthau, was assigned as Financial Adviser to General Dwight D. Eisenhower for Civil Affairs and Military Government from1942-45. In that capacity he was able to obtain a copy of Henry Stimson’s Plan (The McCloy - Stimson Plan) for post war Germany that he provided to Henry Morgenthau. The resulting chaos within the Roosevelt administration turned into a political drama that was a centerpiece of controversy for the 1944 election. Needless to say Bernstein, who after the war would become Legal Adviser to the American Jewish Conference, 1946-48, was put on a watch list by McCloy and was not allowed to leave England to enter France without McCloy's knowledge. With the discovery of a huge cache of Nazi loot, which was discovered at Merkers Mine in southern Germany, McCloy found himself in a dilemma.

What to do with this “loot” became a major topic of discussion and its movement to a safe location a major priority. Bernstein would be in charge but who would watch Bernstein was a concern that McCloy would have to deal with in a covert way.

Assigned to the task of guaranteeing the safe transportation of this treasure (and “protecting” Bernard Bernstein) was the 474th Infantry Regiment Detached. This special unit was made up by combining the 99th Battalion Separate, the surviving American members of the First Special Services Force and remnants of some Ranger groups. It was put under the command of Col. Edwin “Ted” Walker.

John J. McCloy, Nazi gold and Edwin Walker! What an interesting mix in 1945 but were they still mixed up together in 1963? McCloy's June of 1963 letter to Walker suggests that they didn't know each other but the historical record suggest otherwise. Why did McCloy have a need to distance himself from Walker in the months preceeding the assassination of JFK? Afterall McCloy had called upon Walker's special talents for "speccial" assignments in the past?

Jim Root

With regards to Us intelligence services in Germany, i have a photo of Howard Hunt in Vienna, its caption stating that he was there under Averell Harriman.

I have been unable to post the photo due to its size. I have numerous other photos of Hunt that do not appear on the internet.

While in Arlington cemetery last year I came accross the grave of Claire Lee Chennault. Although I had my camera with me, it never occured to take a photo.

John

Looted Nazi gold is the basis for the comic cinema flick "Kelly's Heroes," as well as the Ian Fleming short story "Octopussy," which I think was first published in Playboy.

Set on the North Shore of Jamaica, where Fleming settled in every January and February to write his 007 novels at his beachfront home called "Goldeneye," the "Octopussy" of literature is vastly different from the film of the same name.

In the story, James Bond, investigator for the British government, confronts a retired special ops officer who has been living off a chunk of Nazi gold he stole at the end of the war.

Confronted with the evidence and confessing, the disgraced former soldier and civil servent is allowed to commit suicide, which he does by swiming out to the reef and getting stung by a poison stingray, much as the Aussie died last year.

Just as all of Fleming's stories have a basis of truth to them, however outrageous the movie plots became, there is probably some historical account to the story of looted Nazi gold, and the Japanese version as well.

Hunt was assigned, as well, to write the American version of 007 for pulp fiction consumption, with a tease of true-life operations entwined.

BK

Edited by William Kelly

Sterling Seagrave has joined the Forum. Hopefully, he will join in this discussion.

My father was Stilwell's chief medical officer and walked out to Assam with Stilwell, then came back into Burma with Merrill's Marauders, Detachment 101, etc., hence my early connection to these people.

I wanted to draw attention to two things I found missing in your long posting: (1) The Eugene Meyer who was head of the Fed was the father of Katherine (Meyer) Graham. As I recall, Meyer owned the Times-Herald and bought the Washington Post, merged the two papers, and essentially turned them over to his daughter's husband Phil Graham after WW2 when Phil Graham returned from Air Force Intelligence with some of his cronies, including Russell Wiggins, Chalmers Roberts, and others. I worked at the Post for about five years in the 1960s during the JFK assassination and the Bobby Baker case. I understood that Phil Graham was snuffed, not a suicide. Assistant Managing Editor Larry Stern, with whom I worked, along with Les Whitten, was later snuffed while jogging on a beach at Martha's Vineyard, exactly the same MO as the snuffing of Norbert Schlei while jogging on the beach at Malibu -- the "beesting" on the bare leg, followed by the coronary. Similar to the compressed air gun attacks on the Bulgarian expat BBC employees, but using a fast acting seasnake venom on Schlei and Stern, while the Bulgarians were hit with the much slower acting enhanced Ricin. For more on the Bulgarian hits, see my book YELLOW RAIN, and for a lot more on Corcoran, Chennault, Alsop, TV Soong, Bill Pawley, and related characters, see my THE SOONG DYNASTY and SOLDIERS OF FORTUNE. For Paul Helliwell, Singlaub, and the CIA drug-money black-banking network, see my LORDS OF THE RIM, THE MARCOS DYNASTY, and GOLD WARRIORS. I was in the Post newsroom when our senior police reporter spotted the arrest file on Walter Jenkins, for soliciting, recognized the name, and caused panic in the newsroom. Al Friendly and Russ Wiggins managed to get a phone call through to LBJ who was at a banquet in Manhattan, and LBJ told Wiggins and Friendly how he wanted them to play the outing of Walter Jenkins. (I was sitting three feet from Wiggins while he was on the horn with LBJ.) Of course, LBJ and J. Edgar Hoover were neighbors before LBJ moved into the White House. Joe Alsop and J. Edgar and Walter Jenkins were intimate friends for decades.

Sterling Seagrave has joined the Forum. Hopefully, he will join in this discussion.

My father was Stilwell's chief medical officer and walked out to Assam with Stilwell, then came back into Burma with Merrill's Marauders, Detachment 101, etc., hence my early connection to these people.

Sterling Seagrave,

Would you have known Richard "Dick" Hughes, the Australian correspondent for the London Sunday Times in the Far East, based in Hong Kong?

Thanks for your inside track on all this,

Bill Kelly

bkjfk3@yahoo.com

Did your father ever say anything about Evans Carlson? He seems a very interesting character. Franklin D. Roosevelt sent Carlson to China in 1937 where he was asked to send weekly reports to the president.

Carlson witnessed the Japanese capture of Shanghai before working as an observer with the Chinese Army. Carlson noticed that while the Chinese conventional forces performed badly the small Red Army was much more successful against the Japanese invaders. For the next two years Carlson spent a considerable amount of time with the Red Army. He was impressed with the effectiveness of their guerrilla warfare tactics and the way they developed good relationships with the local people.

After finishing his period as an observer Carlson upset his superiors by giving a newspaper interview where he praised the Red Army for forming co-operatives and accusing the US government of helping Japan's war effort by supplying them with oil and other raw materials.

In 1940 Carlson made a private visit to China in order to investigate the progress of the cooperatives set up by the Red Army. While there he became convinced that Japan would attack the United States. He visited General Douglas MacArthur and urged him to establish guerilla units in case the Japanese Army invaded the Philippines. However, MacArthur ignored his advice.

On his return to the United States Carlson rejoined the US Marines. After Japan attacked at Pearl Harbor Carlson and Merritt Edson advocated the use of guerrilla warfare against the Japanese Army in the Pacific War. Eventually Edson was given command of the 1st Raider Battalion whereas Carlson got the 2nd Raider Battalion. James Roosevelt, the son of Franklin D. Roosevelt, became Carlson's assistant.

Based in San Diego, the Carlson's Raiders were taught the military tactics employed by the Red Army against the Japanese. This included learning how to kill silently and quickly. Following the example of the guerrillas in China, Carlson abolished the traditional privileges enjoyed by officers. They ate the same food, wore the same clothes and carried the same equipment.

Carlson's observations of the Red Army convinced him that men perform better when they believe in they are fighting for a better political system. Therefore Carlson provided information on the undemocratic nature of the governments in Nazi Germany and Japan. He also encouraged the men to discuss the kind of society the men wanted after the war.

In August 1943 Carlson and 222 marines set off from Pearl Harbor and they were landed on the small island of Makin Atoll. After two days of fighting Carlson's men were able to destroy the radio station, burned equipment and captured important documents. Thirty marines were killed before General Alexander Vandegrift ordered them to leave the island. As a result of the raid the Japanese Army fortified the Gilbert Islands.

On 4th November 1943, the Carlson's Raiders landed in Guadalcana. Over the next month Carlson's men killed more than 500 Japanese while only losing 17 men. Carlson's was himself wounded and forced to return to the United States for treatment.

Carlson's superiors told him they were concerned about his unorthodox ideas and tactics. They were also concerned about his close friendship with Agnes Smedley, the radical journalist who was involved in campaigning for USA support of communist forces in China in order to help them to fight the Japanese Army in Asia.

In May 1943 Carlson was promoted to be executive officer of the Raider regiment and was stripped of direct command of his battalion in Guadalcana. Carlson now upset his superiors by becoming involved in a controversial project of publishing pamphlets on the contribution of the Afro-American in the war.

Carlson eventually returned to action in November 1943 at the battle of Tarawa. On Saipan he received severe wounds when trying to rescue a radio operator who had been shot by the Japanese. He never fully recovered from his injuries and was forced to retire from the United States Marines.

Carlson was radicalized by his experiences and ran for the Senate in California but was forced to withdraw after suffering a heart attack. Evans Carlson died after another heart attack in May 1947. I wonder if he was another victim of the Cold War?

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWcarlson.htm

Would you have known Richard "Dick" Hughes, the Australian correspondent for the London Sunday Times in the Far East, based in Hong Kong?

Yes, I knew Richard Hughes well, enjoyed him very much, and used to get blasted with him at the press club in Hong Kong.The ultimate Old China Hand, and incomparable raconteur. He knew all the dirt. An attitude like Humphrey Bogart in a carcass like Sydney Greenstreet.

Did your father ever say anything about Evans Carlson? He seems a very interesting character. Franklin D. Roosevelt sent Carlson to China in 1937 where he was asked to send weekly reports to the president.

Carlson witnessed the Japanese capture of Shanghai before working as an observer with the Chinese Army. Carlson noticed that while the Chinese conventional forces performed badly the small Red Army was much more successful against the Japanese invaders. For the next two years Carlson spent a considerable amount of time with the Red Army. He was impressed with the effectiveness of their guerrilla warfare tactics and the way they developed good relationships with the local people.

After finishing his period as an observer Carlson upset his superiors by giving a newspaper interview where he praised the Red Army for forming co-operatives and accusing the US government of helping Japan's war effort by supplying them with oil and other raw materials.

In 1940 Carlson made a private visit to China in order to investigate the progress of the cooperatives set up by the Red Army. While there he became convinced that Japan would attack the United States. He visited General Douglas MacArthur and urged him to establish guerilla units in case the Japanese Army invaded the Philippines. However, MacArthur ignored his advice.

On his return to the United States Carlson rejoined the US Marines. After Japan attacked at Pearl Harbor Carlson and Merritt Edson advocated the use of guerrilla warfare against the Japanese Army in the Pacific War. Eventually Edson was given command of the 1st Raider Battalion whereas Carlson got the 2nd Raider Battalion. James Roosevelt, the son of Franklin D. Roosevelt, became Carlson's assistant.

Based in San Diego, the Carlson's Raiders were taught the military tactics employed by the Red Army against the Japanese. This included learning how to kill silently and quickly. Following the example of the guerrillas in China, Carlson abolished the traditional privileges enjoyed by officers. They ate the same food, wore the same clothes and carried the same equipment.

Carlson's observations of the Red Army convinced him that men perform better when they believe in they are fighting for a better political system. Therefore Carlson provided information on the undemocratic nature of the governments in Nazi Germany and Japan. He also encouraged the men to discuss the kind of society the men wanted after the war.

In August 1943 Carlson and 222 marines set off from Pearl Harbor and they were landed on the small island of Makin Atoll. After two days of fighting Carlson's men were able to destroy the radio station, burned equipment and captured important documents. Thirty marines were killed before General Alexander Vandegrift ordered them to leave the island. As a result of the raid the Japanese Army fortified the Gilbert Islands.

On 4th November 1943, the Carlson's Raiders landed in Guadalcana. Over the next month Carlson's men killed more than 500 Japanese while only losing 17 men. Carlson's was himself wounded and forced to return to the United States for treatment.

Carlson's superiors told him they were concerned about his unorthodox ideas and tactics. They were also concerned about his close friendship with Agnes Smedley, the radical journalist who was involved in campaigning for USA support of communist forces in China in order to help them to fight the Japanese Army in Asia.

In May 1943 Carlson was promoted to be executive officer of the Raider regiment and was stripped of direct command of his battalion in Guadalcana. Carlson now upset his superiors by becoming involved in a controversial project of publishing pamphlets on the contribution of the Afro-American in the war.

Carlson eventually returned to action in November 1943 at the battle of Tarawa. On Saipan he received severe wounds when trying to rescue a radio operator who had been shot by the Japanese. He never fully recovered from his injuries and was forced to retire from the United States Marines.

Carlson was radicalized by his experiences and ran for the Senate in California but was forced to withdraw after suffering a heart attack. Evans Carlson died after another heart attack in May 1947. I wonder if he was another victim of the Cold War?

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWcarlson.htm

I remember Edgar Snow’s wife talking about Carlson. But once FDR died, there was a great sea-change, and the pre-war pro-Nazi arch conservatives and Wall Street venture capitalists began to resume control in America. War crimes investigators in Asia suffered fatal accidents or plane crashes at sea, journalists opposed to the Chiang regime or the reinstatement of war criminals in control of postwar Japan were blacklisted, diplomats like John Service had their careers destroyed, and OSS agents who had worked happily with Mao and Ho Chi Minh against the Japanese were replaced by opportunists like Lansdale who sucked up to the Dulles brothers and Brown Brothers Harriman. I saw a re-run re-cently of a George Raft movie with Sydney Greenstreet and Peter Lorre during the Nazi occupation of Istanbul, and one of Raft’s lies was “I’m not interested in your New World Order.” It resonated of George Bush and the Carlisle Group. Maybe the Cold War is really what’s going on in America.

Yes, I knew Richard Hughes well, enjoyed him very much, and used to get blasted with him at the press club in Hong Kong.The ultimate Old China Hand, and incomparable raconteur. He knew all the dirt. An attitude like Humphrey Bogart in a carcass like Sydney Greenstreet.

SS,

Many thanks for your response. He must have been a character. Did he ever mention Ian Fleming or his meeting Burgess and MacLean in USSR after their defection?

BK

Sterling Seagrave will be answering questions on his book, Gold Warriors, here:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=9196

There is one name that is very pertinent to this thread, whether acknowledged by participants or not, and that is MacArthur's "Little Fascist," who also was part of the postwar reconstruction of Japan see the book "American Shogun," Willoughby is referenced in the book as being involved in political intrigues involving the Yakuza.....

See below

http://www.namebase.org/cgi-bin/nb06?_WILLOUGHBY_CHARLES_A

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=5

Charles Willoughby

DOD - 10-25-1972

Moved to Naples, FL in 1968

His G-2 Codename was Vor Harden

from Wikipedia, the Free Encyclopedia (using Wikipedia Reflection Script)

Major General Charles Willoughby (1892-1972) was a soldier in the U.S. Army.

Willoughby was born Adolf Tscheppe-Weidenbach in the town of Heidelberg, Germany, the son of Baron T. von Tscheppe-Weidenbach from Baden, Germany.

Willoughby served in the Army as an enlisted man for a few years, beginning in 1910. He graduated from Gettysburg College in 1914. He was commissioned in the Army in 1915.

Willoughby was the chief of intelligence on General MacArthur's staff during World War II, the occupation of Japan, and the Korean war. Willoughby became a major general on 12 April 1945.

He was involved in the creation of Field Operations Intelligence, a top secret Army Intelligence unit that later came under joint military and CIA control. Willoughby retired from the army in 1951.

After his retirement, Willoughby travelled to Spain and became an unofficial advisor to the Spanish dictator, Francisco Franco, whom he described as "the second greatest military commander in the world" (MacArthur being the 'greatest'.) Willoughby had first met Franco in the 1920s, and had admired him ever since.

An avowed racist and fanatical supporter of extreme right wing causes, Willoughby was once described as "my little fascist" by MacArthur. In this vein, Willoughby had once written of Italian dictator Mussolini: "Historical judgement, freed from the emotional haze of the moment, will credit Mussolini with wiping out a memory of defeat by re-establishing the traditional military supremecy of the white race."

In his later years, Willoughby would publish the racist 'Foreign Intelligence Digest' newspaper, and work closely with Texas oil tycoon H.L. Hunt on the International Committee for the Defence of Christian Culture, an extreme right "umbrella" organization that had connections to para-military groups such as the John Birch Society and the Minutemen.

In September 1975, investigative reporter Dick Russell received an anonymous letter that stated, in part:

"... You are now part of the great game of solving the JFK assassination riddle. The danger to those involved is immense, tantamount to playing Russian Roulette... Prior to his death some time ago I spent several days with Tscheppe Weidenbach... an enlightened conversation... you may want to research down to the name which is part of the game we can't make it too easy... "

Enclosed with this anonymous letter was a type-written note, with the letterhead of the King Edward Sheraton Hotel in Toronto, Canada. It read:

"... YOUR CANADIAN COMPUTERS RESEARCHING THE ASSASSINATION OF JOHN KENNEDY DEVELOPED LEADS TO A MAN NAMED TSCHEPPE-WEIDENBACH BORN IN 1892 IN HEIDELBERG, GERMANY AS HAVING MASTERMINDED THE ASSASSINATION WITH THE APPROVAL. 'THE' MAN WHO COULD DO NO WRONG IN AMERICAN HISTORY? YOUR GENERAL (EASY RESEARCH MIGHT WELL PROVIDE A LEAD TO THE CLEVER MIND FROM HEIDELBERG... "

In his 2006 epic American Shogun - General MacArthur, Emperor Hirohito & The Drama of Modern Japan [Overlook Press 2006] author Robert Harvey provides an incredible detailing on this aspect of Post-War Japan;

In a certain sense Charles Willoughby, has indeed been researched but collectively there has not been the collective attention given to him, in terms of whether he could have been "more than a isolated ideological enemy of President Kennedy."

There has been some additional information that has surfaced regarding Adolf Tscheppe-Weidenbach aka General Charles Willoughby.

General Willoughby, in addition to his military credentials also authored the book "The Shanghai Conspiracy." The 1952 book, is a controversial [at least at the time] look at Richard Sorge a Soviet spy, who practically singlehandedly saved Russia from at least two nightmarish situations in World War 2. One, he ostensibly provided the Soviet's with advance warning of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor with the all important addendum that Soviet Far East installations would not be attacked, and Two, that Hitler's army would invade Russia practically on the day that the invasion took place on June 22, 1941, when Hitler's armies did indeed march across the border into what would become infamous as "The Russian Front." What makes The Shanghai Conspiracy more than a book about the exploits of Richard Sorge, is the fact that Willoughby had submitted a report on the Sorge Spy Ring during World War 2? and more importantly, that after the war ended the Soviet's had a large apparatus of spies and infiltrators in Washington D.C., some according to Willoughby were in prominent positions in the US State Department and elsewhere.

For JFK researchers, among the most interesting dynamics of this episode of Cold War history, is when Mr Harold Isaac's of MIT enters the fracas, over the Shanghai Conspiracy. As per WCD 1080, Mr Harold Isaacs obtained an advance copy of Willoughby's book, and discovered that in the back of the book there was a "chart purporting to diagram the travels of Comintern agents, Communist Party members and sympathisers." Harold Isaacs, who many years earlier was an admitted "Trotskyite" when it wasn't fashionable to do so had discovered that his name and that of his wife were referenced in Shanghai Conspiracy, and Isaac's was contemplating legal action [i.e. libel suit] against Willoughby for the inclusion of his name in the book.

Regarding Dick Russell's "The Man Who Knew Too Much," his research [besides Richard Case Nagell,] into Willoughby and various Canadian aspects [Geisbrecht, Winnipeg Airport, Ferrie] to the assassination, alone makes it a book that anyone who is serious about scholarly study of the assassination, in the category of "don't leave home without it," but....that is just my opinion

Edited by Robert Howard

General Willoughby, in addition to his military credentials also authored the book "The Shanghai Conspiracy." The 1952 book, is a controversial [at least at the time] look at Richard Sorge a Soviet spy, who practically singlehandedly saved Russia from at least two nightmarish situations in World War 2. One, he ostensibly provided the Soviet's with advance warning of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor with the all important addendum that Soviet Far East installations would not be attacked, and Two, that Hitler's army would invade Russia practically on the day that the invasion took place on June 22, 1941, when Hitler's armies did indeed march across the border into what would become infamous as "The Russian Front." What makes The Shanghai Conspiracy more than a book about the exploits of Richard Sorge, is the fact that Willoughby had submitted a report on the Sorge Spy Ring during World War 2? and more importantly, that after the war ended the Soviet's had a large apparatus of spies and infiltrators in Washington D.C., some according to Willoughby were in prominent positions in the US State Department and elsewhere.

Richard Sorge is a very interesting character. see my page on him here:

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/GERsorge.htm

I worked at the Post for about five years in the 1960s during the JFK assassination and the Bobby Baker case. I understood that Phil Graham was snuffed, not a suicide. Assistant Managing Editor Larry Stern, with whom I worked, along with Les Whitten, was later snuffed while jogging on a beach at Martha's Vineyard, exactly the same MO as the snuffing of Norbert Schlei while jogging on the beach at Malibu -- the "beesting" on the bare leg, followed by the coronary.

Do you have any information on why Phil Graham and Larry Stern were "snuffed"?