The Education Forum

Possible origin of Hidell name.

James et al.

My last two presentations at Lancer, with Jim Olivier, have been on the McCurley brothers. We have talked with Jim M. Interestingly, James does bear a striking resemblance to the person to one of the leafleteers... but Charles Steele implied that leafleteer was Charles Steele. We are waiting for an opportunity to run down an independent picture of Steele. James: do you by any chance have one?

-Stu

Awhile back there was an article written titled The Investigation that Never Was - By Holland McCombs

See

http://spot.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_...ue/holland.html

......referencing the "Black Lamp," a "gay hangout" [to use a kinder gentler euphemism] in Baton Rouge, this establishment ostensibly had a bartender by the name of Frankie Lynn Hydell, there is also the matter of the McCurley Brothers, who are said to have been "involved" with Oswald's handing out Fair Play for Cuba material. While I only recently became aware of the story, and do not have an opinion as to its validity or lack thereof, to say it is "interesting" is something of an understatement in my opinion.

All I can add one way or another, is that it is indeed a fact that Life Magazine was investigating the Kennedy Assassination before Garrison indicted Shaw, and there was something of a information conduit between the two [Garrison and Life Magazine] until Shaw was indicted, it is my understanding that, at that point Life Magazine abruptly terminated said conduit and from that point on, didn't care much for Garrison after that, but the latter information is only what I was told by a fellow researcher.....

I believe there was someone at the last November in Dallas, conference in Dallas, who was slated to give a presentation on this "hangout," and I would imagine......more details.

Perhaps someone could jump in and enlighten us all.......

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Sport Und Kulturverein

The above is supposed to mean St. Oswald. I am guessing it is German?

I am reminded of a message on the DPD transcripts regarding a Johnson Aide named Minesport (Mein Sport = my saint?), who was to be met (at the airport?), and I can't help but wonder if this was a code name for Oswald.

Mr. Hemming said minesport was in reference to the "football", a briefcase with nuclear codes, carried by a military aide.

Mr. Mack said minesport was a mistake and probably was supposed to be hyannisport.

I know I come up with some wacky stuff, but, if nothing else, it is as probable as the other explanations I have heard.

Sport Und Kulturverein

The above is supposed to mean St. Oswald. I am guessing it is German?

I am reminded of a message on the DPD transcripts regarding a Johnson Aide named Minesport (Mein Sport = my saint?), who was to be met (at the airport?), and I can't help but wonder if this was a code name for Oswald.

Mr. Hemming said minesport was in reference to the "football", a briefcase with nuclear codes, carried by a military aide.

Mr. Mack said minesport was a mistake and probably was supposed to be hyannisport.

I know I come up with some wacky stuff, but, if nothing else, it is as probable as the other explanations I have heard.

german security SS EinsatzKommando (deathsquads) Ewald Peters was (as yet, that came from East German intel in Jan 64) undiscovered as Nazi. He took care of the JFK Berlin security as head of German Seurity KriminalRat E.Peters. He had a good relationship with some US SS detail. E. Peters and the German Chancellor visited LBJ at his ranch in late Dec 63. Perhaps he was an advance party and this refers to him? or Perhaps an underling member of german security detail? (interestingly there was an Oswald who served with E Peters on the kiling fields of OP Barbarossa 1942,3

• 2 months later...
I was playing poker online today when I saw players speaking in a foreign language.

I saw these two words in a sentence...and I stopped thinking about poker altogether...hidd el.

First I asked these men what the two words meant. I was told these words mean "Believe In".

Then, I thought to ask them what language this was....I had a gut feeling I would be told Hungarian...

It was Hungarian.

Wasn't one photo of the "Mystery men" at the Embassy in Mexico supposedly identified as a Hungarian man?

Personally, I think the name Hidell was given to remind him to believe in himself and what he was doing.

Then again...what do I know?

When I did the original translation I neglected to use the whole word hidell and simply used hidd el.

Using the Hungarian translator I found that hidell's usage includes "cool, cold, algid, icy, frosty, clammy, chilly, chilling, chill".

Guest Mark Valenti

In 1986, the architectural firm of William Hidell was awarded a contract to work on the Northeast Police Substation in Dallas.

The Hidell firm, as I mentioned above, has been in Dallas since 1948,

In 1986, the architectural firm of William Hidell was awarded a contract to work on the Northeast Police Substation in Dallas.

The Hidell firm, as I mentioned above, has been in Dallas since 1948,

Mark,

I checked into William Hidell Jr. some time back when I was looking for connections to the Hidell name. It turns out he and his son were champion competition shooters.

James

Guest Mark Valenti
I checked into William Hidell Jr. some time back when I was looking for connections to the Hidell name. It turns out he and his son were champion competition shooters.

James

Interesting. If you were looking for a type of business with deep roots in a city, a well-established architectural firm would be on an equal footing with law firms, police agencies and banks.

I'm curious to know if the Hidell family, which was so prominent in Dallas since 1948, were members of civic groups. Did Hidell serve on any JFK welcoming committees? Planning groups?

Did he retain ties to his family ancestry in Pennsylvania?

I like Dick Russell's take on it. The man who knew too much, who also made use of the same alias - much earlier than Oswald. I don't get the impression that Nagell was running Oswald and had him open his Louisiana chapter - what seems more likely is that Nagell was pre-selected and was being set up as another Patsy. Probably photographed with Oswald [as per Nagell], provided the mission to infiltrate the assassination plot and shadow him - the missing selective service card, Nagell's sudden 'insanity.' Nagell perhaps put 2 + 2 together and saw that he was being framed and ditched. Don't need a selective service card to pin Nagell to being behind running Oswald anymore, what with his other FPCC connections as well - Nagell ran for cover. And Heindel provided a nice story - plenty of those to go around for all. Smacks of someone that decided Nagell was going to burn for his role in some earlier affairs in the far east. Plus if Nagell really was a double / triple, he would have been expendable.

http://www.kimsoft.com/kr-ccrak.htm

South Korean Agents Lost In North Korea and Their Families - What are we going to do for them? Although South Korean forces are under the United States command in Korea, South Korea's covert action forces have been operating free of any US control. These units have been used in military coup, suppression of civil disorders and armed conflicts with North Korea (in violation of the armistice of 1953.) South Korea's covert action units were created in 1948 under "HID - Higher Intelligence Department" (fronted as 'Fishery Research Dept') and after 1960, under "AIU - Army Intelligence Unit".

The US has its own covert action units in Korea dating back to 1944, when a US OSS team established a Korean covert-action unit in Chungking, China. The US CIA, Army, Navy and Air Force ran quasi-independent covert-action operations in Korea.

No one knows the exact figure of the Korean agents infiltrated into North Korea. HID/AIU alone have dispatched some 40,000 agents and perhaps, 20,000 by the US operations. The agents were mostly North Korean refugees, POWs, defectors and 'volunteers' from South Korea.

Today, the surviving agents and the families of missing agents are largely forgotten. Their heroic services are being ignored and their sick and hungry go unaided by the ingrateful US and ROK governments. Worse is the case of the agents still missing and unaccounted for. Their families do not know if their sons and husbands are dead or alive in North Korea.

HID - Higher Intelligence Department

NagELL

From TMWKTM...

"AlekHidell was also an alias known to have been used by Lee Harvey Oswald in many of his 1963 activities, Nagell was alleging that an Oswald tourist card had been in his possession." (pp. 113)

In my conversations with Nagell, it became clear that the "Hidell" alias had a particular significance. In fact, it was some kind of code name in an intelligence operation. Its origins, once again, track back to the Far East and go far beyond anything Oswald might have thought up on his own.

We were in Nagell's living room at our very first meeting when he volunteered that he knew "precisely where the name Hidell came from and why it was used". He went on to say that the Warren Commission was off-base but that neither did the "Hidell" usage emanate directly out of either CIA or FBI headquarters-- even though dossiers of both agencies would reveal Oswald's use of several variations of the name. (39)

" The pseudonyms 'Albert' and 'Aleksei Hidel' were given to Oswald." Nagell added, "by whom, could be discovered by CIA authorities by breaking the last name into two syllables and by determining precisely what those syllables meant. " (40)

After that I spent a long time puzzling over certain references made by Nagell in some of his correspondence:

-Is "Hidell" a name...or does it signify something else?"

-- "Who suggested the name "HIDell" for use by Oswald in his Fair Play for Cuba venture? Why? Did Nagell ever spell his name 'Nagel'? Was Oswald ever furnished a Mexican Tourist Card under the name of Albert Hidel? Why? Of what significance is the name 'Albert'? Alek? Aleksei?" (41)

Nagell seemed to be saying that if you dropped the last letter of the "Hidell" surname--or, for that matter, on his own name--it bore a different meaning. It was some kind of signal.

Then, in 1978, we had a short discussion about the language of intelligence, Nagell told me that the CIA generally used six-letter cryptonyms to designate certain operations, or even individuals within operations (42). Yet Nagell implied that the CIA did not know the real root of the six--letter HIDELL name. So it followed that some other agency, familiar with CIA cryptonyms, might have made it out to look like a CIA derivation.

The KGB, Nagell also imparted to me, sometimes used five-letter words as code name, Drop the "L" from Hidelll or Nagell and that's what you have. Since Nagell, as a "double agent, " was working several sides of the street, might the variation on the alias depend upon which side he, or Oswald, were communicating with? That is, if Oswald even knew who was really behind his use of the name.

I set about dividing the name into syllables. I also noted Nagell's deliberate underlining of the HID half. And, in perusing the documents he had filed with the Court of Claims about his early military career, I observed that he had underlined "HID" not only pertaining to Oswald. He also did so harkening back to his mid-fifties career with Military Intelligence's intelligence outfit, the Headquarter Intelligence Division, or HID, forerunner of the Korean CIA.

Also , among the papers seized by the FBI after the bank incident was a typed slip of paper listing sixteen Korean names under the heading "H.I.D" And, as noted earlier in this chapter, Nagell's notebook accounting of 1962-63 meeting places in a number of cities had "JAPANEZE GOV'T--ROK." at the bottom.

Could this be the connection? I arranged to meet with Nagell at a place in Hollywood called the Raincheck. Early in our conversation, I said. "I think I know where the Hidell name came from" We were sitting a couple of feet apart at a corner table. Nagell looked at me with a quizzical expression.

"You gave Oswald that name to use," I continued. "HID is derived from the Korean intelligence outfit that you worked for the FOI. and 'ELL' are the last three letters of your own name."

Nagell did not reply. He stared back at me, did not deny it and quickly changed the subject. (43)......" (pp.170-72)

Neat.

http://books.google.com/books?id=GDKvanJwb...F5WmaN0fGqH709I

Edited by Lee Forman

• 9 years later...
On 1/23/2007 at 11:58 AM, Chuck Robbins said:

I was playing poker online today when I saw players speaking in a foreign language.

I saw these two words in a sentence...and I stopped thinking about poker altogether...hidd el.

First I asked these men what the two words meant. I was told these words mean "Believe In".

Then, I thought to ask them what language this was....I had a gut feeling I would be told Hungarian...

It was Hungarian.

Wasn't one photo of the "Mystery men" at the Embassy in Mexico supposedly identified as a Hungarian man?

Personally, I think the name Hidell was given to remind him to believe in himself and what he was doing.

Then again...what do I know?

And let's not forget the allegedly Hungarian-owned "Gold Rail" gay bar in San Diego where Jack Ruby was allegedly seen.

--  Tommy :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

3 hours ago, Thomas Graves said:

And let's not forget the allegedly Hungarian-owned "Gold Rail" gay bar in San Diego where Jack Ruby was allegedly seen.

--  Tommy :sun

originally bumped for Bill Simpich

Bumped again, this time for Michael "Knee Jerk" Walton in the hope he will now understand why I bumped the ancient "Ruby" thread.

The first time I bumped it, a couple of hours ago, was for my favorite researcher (who was reading this thread, which was on page 4, at the time), Bill Simpich, in the hope that he might be able to "connect some dots" between the "Hungarian-owned Gold Rail (sic)" bar which Ruby might have visited in San Diego, and the possibility that Oswald's fake name "Hidell" was from the Hungarian words "hidd el".

-- Tommy  :sun

Edited by Thomas Graves

• 3 months later...

The genesis of the “HIDELL” alias.

Over the years, some have suggested a relationship between the alias “A HIDELL”, or, “A J HIDELL”, and the names “JEKYLL AND HYDE”. This is partly because there’s a tantalizing relationship between the letters in both, and partly because the Robert Louis Stevenson story of “JEKYLL AND HYDE” might have some sort of metaphoric sync with Lee Harvey Oswald.

Robert Louis Stevenson titled his work, “Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.” There was no word “The” in the original title. The short version is “Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde”, and the common phrase “Jekyll and Hyde” has been in popular use for many years. 

First let’s take a look at the full expression of the “Hidell” alias:

“ALEK JAMES HIDELL”

Now let’s remove as many of the letters in “JEKYLL HYDE” as we can from “ALEK JAMES HIDELL”:

“JEK_LL H_DE” and we have “ALAMESI” left over.

We are short two “Ys”, so lets anagram the left-over letters (ALAMESI) with the incomplete “Jek_ll, H_de”:

(1) “Malaise: Jek_ll H_de” 

(2) “ A Jek_ll H_de is lame”

Okay, forget that for now, but we are clearly in need of a pair of “Ys” to make “ALEK JAMES HIDELL” work. So now let’s start from the other end and do some anagramming of “JEKYLL AND HYDE”: 

(1) “A HYDELL, J KENDY”

This is slightly tantalizing, we almost have “A Hidell”, and “J Kennedy”. Close, but no cigar. This next anagram trashes the “J KENDY” possibility in favor of a better “A HYDELL”. “Jekyll and Hyde” anagrams to:

“A J HYDELL KEY: ‘ND’”

BINGO!

I find it hard to believe that some marginally competent anagrammer with a Cub Scout knowledge of cyphers had not noticed this “'ND' Key”. It’s a simple substitution cypher. It’s kid stuff, the stuff of Captain Midnight decoder rings. And any of you that have been following my posts have seen the “'ND' Key” hundreds of times, but going by a different name:

A..B..C..D..E..F..G..H..I..J..K..L..M..N..O..P..Q..R..S..T..U..V..W..X..Y..Z

K..L..M..N..O.P..Q..R..S.T.U..V..W..X...Y...Z..A..B..C..D..E..F..G..H..I...J

“ICO” (Igor, Case, Oswald) calls this the “DT” cypher because it stands for “Double Talk”. To “encode” some letters, one would “encode” from the bottom up, and “decode” from the top down. For solving ICO puzzles we are almost always “decoding”. The way I have the cypher set up, it might make more sense to call this the “KA” cypher, but one could call this cypher any one of 25 names and it would be the same cypher. In the anagram of “Jekyll and Hyde”, “A J HYDELL KEY: ‘ND’”, we could choose to make the cypher look like this:

D..E..F..G..H..I..J..K..L..M..N..O..P..Q..R..S..T..U..V..W..X..Y..Z..A..B..C 

N..O.P..Q..R..S.T..U..V..W..X..Y...Z..A..B..C..D..E..F..G..H..I...J..K..L..M 

It’s still the same cypher, and working from the top down, the “Y” in “HYDELL” can be changed to the letter beneath it, “I”. 

But before we start using our new “ND” cypher, it should be noted that there are 25 possible simple substitution cyphers, and ICO only uses this one. The letters are offset by 10, and the number “10” translates to the letter “K” using ICO’s number/letter translation device at the bottom. “JEKYLL AND HYDE” anagram to:

“DANDY J.E.H. YELL: “10”.

Now let’s make an anagram of “Jekyll and Hyde that makes good use of the “ND Key”, and we can now use “ND” as a verb.

“A J HYDELL. ‘ND’ KEY’”

We’re using the “ND” cypher as a verb acting on the letters, “KEY”, and they yield the letters “UOI”, or, “IOU”, and give us:  

“A J HYDELL, IOU”  

Thanks to the “ND” cypher (DT cypher) we teased out the letter “I” we needed. We can now re-anagram this to pertinent things, many of which connect to other ICO puzzles. Here’s an example:

(1) “YO 20, ‘A J HIDELL”

I translated the letter “U” to “20” because it’s an important number in the ICO puzzle system, it’s used to refer to a “20” letter puzzle:

“ROBERT LOUIS STEVENSON”

Here’s one more anagram of “A J HIDELL IOU”:

“Y/I, A LO/JH DUEL”

It might also be noticed that the initials of “J Hoover” are also the initials of “Jekyll Hyde”.

I’ll have more to add later, but we got our letter “I” to complete the “A J Hidell” name, but we could have accomplished the similar thing had we used “Dr.” and “Mr.” in our puzzle. 

“A HIDELL GRACES A R.C.N.”

This is an anagram of “Richard Case Nagell”

“R WEAVE O’S A HYDELL”

This is an anagram of “Lee Harvey Oswald”

Summary: 

“JEKYLL AND HYDE” anagram to “A HYDELL KEY, ‘ND’”

“‘ND’ KEY”, simple substitution cypher below:

The “‘ND’ KEY” above is exactly the same as the “DT” contained in most of my posts in the last few years, and is universal in all of Richard Case Nagell’s puzzle system:

In the anagram above, “A HYDELL KEY, ‘ND’”, we turn “ND” into a verb acting on the word “KEY”, and make this anagram:

“A HYDELL, ‘ND’ KEY”

Using the ‘ND’ cypher (or the “DT” cypher), the letters in “KEY” decode to “UOI” (or the anagram “IOU), which gives us this:

“A HYDELL IOU”

And this anagrams to a number of pertinent things, including:

(1) “‘A J HIDELL. YO 20” (“20” is an ICO nickname for the 20 letter “Robert Louis Stevenson” treasure chest)

(2) “A LO/JH Y/I DUEL”

Try your hand at more anagrams of this.

“Richard Case Nagell” anagrams to: 

“A HIDELL GRACES A R.C.N.” 

“Lee Harvey Oswald” anagrams to:

“R WEAVE O’S ‘A HYDELL’”

Tom

Number/Letter translation device:

A=0)(B=1)(C=2)(D=3)(E=4)(F=5)(G=6)(H=7)(I=8)(J=9)(K=10)(L=11)(M=12)(N=13)(O=14)(P=15)(Q=16)(R=17)(S=18)(T=19)(U=20)(V=21)(W=22)(X=23)(Y=24)(Z=25) 

PS: There are at least two other alias puzzles that connect to “Robert Louis Stevenson”, the first winds up being a 19-letter puzzle, and the second, a 17-letter puzzle.

(1) “JOHN NICHOLSON”

(2) “STEVE KEENAN”

I’ll be posting about these in the future. In the meantime, try your hand.

Edited by Tom Hume

After I posted yesterday, I noticed a similar but slightly more elegant solution to the “Jekyll and Hide” puzzle. Here it is:

“JEKYLL AND HYDE” anagrams to:

“A J HYDELL KEY, ‘ND’”

This inherent anagram possibility is telling us that there is a “KEY” for doing a repair job on the pesky “Y” in “A J HYDELL”, and the “KEY” is “ND”. The anagram above is calling for a “simple substitution cypher”, the type used in very elementary code work. The “ND Key” looks like this: 

And as I pointed out yesterday, the “ND” cypher key is identical in function to ICOs “DT” cypher key that I’ve been taking advantage of for several years in my posts. The two staggered alphabets align exactly the same, they just start in different places. The “DT” cypher key I use in my posts:

For encoding a secret message, one would work from the bottom up. If one wanted to encode a “M”, for example, the encoded letter would be a “C”. But we aren’t making puzzles, we are “decoding” them, so we must work from the top down.

Now that we have the “ND” and/or “DT cypher key set up, we can re-anagram “Jekyll and Hyde” to:

“A. J. H_DELL KEY. ‘ND’ Y”

Once we decode the “Y” to “I”, we also loose our instruction, “ND”, in the process. We are now left with this anagram:

“A. J. HIDELL, KEY”

Savor that for a moment, as Richard Case Nagell probably did when he was about nine years old.

Many ICO puzzles send the puzzle-solver to Oswald’s Historic Diary for confirmation. “Historic Diary” anagrams to “RICHARD’S ’88’ TOY”, and there are 88 puzzles in the diary, “44” bracketed in quotation marks, and “44” enclosed in parentheses. The complete list of “88”, as well as links to the original diary, can be found in my June 25, 2014 post linked below:

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.php?/topic/20276-the-oswald-code/  

On to the Historic Diary. Our final answer above, “A. J. HIDELL, KEY”, also anagrams to:

“A JEKYLL ‘I’, HD-4”

(Number/Letter translator at bottom of post) That was our task in the “Jekyll and Hyde” puzzle, to figure out how to substitute an “I” for a “Y”. We are being sent to puzzle #4 in Oswald’s Historic Diary for some verification, and that puzzle is:

“ideot”

And puzzle #4 anagrams to:

“i.e. ‘DT’ O”

Using ICO’s “DT” cypher, the letter “O” becomes the letter “Y”. We’ve lost our instruction, “DT”, and are left with “IEY”, which anagrams to:

“4. I/Y”

And when one has been sent to the Historic Diary for confirming data like this several hundred times, one knows that one is involved in a vast and intentionally created puzzle system, and one knows that one is not just making shyt up.

Tom

Number/Letter translation device:

A=0)(B=1)(C=2)(D=3)(E=4)(F=5)(G=6)(H=7)(I=8)(J=9)(K=10)(L=11)(M=12)(N=13)(O=14)(P=15)(Q=16)(R=17)(S=18)(T=19)(U=20)(V=21)(W=22)(X=23)(Y=24)(Z=25) 

Edited by Tom Hume

• 2 weeks later...

Several hundred hits on the last two posts and not a single reply.

Maybe I use too many words.

Anagram of “Jekyll and Hyde”:

“A. J. HYDELL KEY: ‘N D’”

“N D” is a “KEY”. It is a “Simple Substitution Cypher”:

N..O.P..Q..R..S.T..U..V..W..X..Y...Z..A..B..C..D..E..F..G..H..I..J...K..L..M 

We obviously need to substitute the “Y” in ”Hydell” with the letter “I”.

New anagram of “Jekyll and Hyde”:

“A. J. H_DELL KEY. ‘ND’ Y”

“‘N D’ is now a verb acting on the letter “Y”. Apply “Y” to the cypher key above and make this anagram:

“A. J. HIDELL KEY”

Here’s a re-anagram of “A. J. HIDELL KEY”:

“Ye JK, A Hidell”

For all practical purposes, the “N D” cypher key above is identical to the “D T” cypher key used by Richard Nagell and his band of good-guys. The “D T” cypher has been featured in most of my posts over the last few years. 

K..L..M..N..O.P..Q..R..S.T..U..V..W..X..Y...Z..A..B..C..D..E..F..G..H..I...J

I submit that “Jekyll and Hyde” is not only the likely origin of the “Hidell” name, but the origin of the valuable puzzle cypher above as well.

One final anagram to put a finer point on my last statement: "DR JEKYLL'S" full name is "DOCTOR HENRY JEKYLL". This anagrams to:

"JEKYLL HYDE ROOT. RCN"

This was a keep-it-simple experiment. An attempt to not bombard you with tons of relevant information-packed connections. There's a bonus question in the PS below.

Tom

PS: Either Lee Oswald and an associate, or a Lee Oswald impersonator and an associate, appear to have put on a memorable show at the Sports Drome Rifle Range in Dallas shortly before the assassination. According to some researchers the two guys signed the guest register thus:

JOHN NICHOLSON   2732 BONNYWOOD

W. NICHOLSON        2732 BONNYWOOD

Bonus Question: What is the possible connection between the “A Hidell” alias and the “John Nicholson” alias?

Edited by Tom Hume

• 2 years later...