The Education Forum

Who controlled the US media in 1963?

They told so many lies to the American public in the aftermath of JFK and it has continued ever since.

Who were they, what were their motives?

I guess the three major TV networks is the easiest place to start. Newspapers, newsmagazines, publishing houses, radio networks, motion picture studios etc can follow later:

http://www.museum.tv/archives/etv/S/htmlS/...sarnoffdavi.htm

That site gives brief bios of some of the pioneers of American media, including the three men who controlled the big three TV networks in 1963, David Sarnoff (NBC), William S Paley (CBS) and Leonard Goldenson (ABC). All were self-made men who largely owned and controlled the companies they founded. Sarnoff, who emigrated to the US from Russia aged nine, also owned RCA which was an innovator in communications with wartime applications such as sonar and radar, and later in the aeronautics and space industries.

I plan to add to this as I delve deeper into it but please feel free to add any relevant information. Ideally, a profile of those in control of the media might be established, which might throw some light on why they behaved as they did---disgracefully.

The SS, CIA, FBI, DPD, LHO, Ruby, military industrial complex, oilmen, right wing Texan rednecks, organised crime, mercenaries, foreign Governments and anyone else connected with the JFK story have been subjected to much scrutiny over the years. A close look at those who controlled everything that we saw and heard is long overdue, imo.

Okay Mark, I'll bite. Start with Bill Paley.

I do a lot of my research at the Urban Archives at the Paley Library, Temple University, Philadelphia. There's also a Paley Library at Drexal, on the other side of town. I always thought it was named after William Paley, but I just learned it is the Samuel L. Paley, Bill Paley's pop, a Ukaranian Jew who made his first million in cigars. Where I don't know yet, but he then moved to Philadelphia and bought the radio station network to promote his cigars, and giving his kid a job.

Some Basic Background:

William S. Paley (September 28, 1901 in Chicago, IllinoisOctober 26, 1990 in New York, New York) was the chief executive who built CBS from a small radio network to one of the dominant radio and television network operation in America.

Paley's father Samuel, a Ukrainian Jewish immigrant, ran a cigar company and, as the company became increasingly successful, the new millionaire moved his family to Philadelphia in the early 1920s. William Paley studied at the University of Chicago and later the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Finance and Commerce in expectation that he would take an increasingly active role running the family cigar business.

The younger Paley's career took a fateful turn in 1927 when his father and some business partners bought a struggling Philadelphia-based radio network of 16 stations called the Columbia Phonographic Broadcasting System. Samuel Paley's intention had been to use his acquisition as nothing more than a medium for advertising promoting the family's cigar business, which included the La Palina brand. Within a year, under William's leadership, cigar sales had more than doubled, and in 1928 the Paley family secured majority ownership of the network. Within a decade, Paley had expanded the network to 114 affiliate stations.

During World War II, Paley served in the psychological warfare branch in the Office of War Information under General Dwight Eisenhower and held the rank of colonel. It was while based in London during the war that Paley came to know and befriend Edward R. Murrow, CBS's head of European news.

Paley quickly grasped the earnings potential of radio, and recognized that good programming was the key to selling advertising time and, in turn, bringing in profits to the network and to affiliate owners. Before Paley, most businessmen viewed radio stations as standalone outlets — in other words, the broadcast equivalent of the local newspaper. The individual stations originally bought programming from the network and were thus considered the network's clients.

Paley changed broadcasting's business model, not only by being a genius at developing successful and lucrative programming, but by viewing the advertisers (sponsors) as the most significant element of the broadcasting equation. Paley provided network programming to affiliate stations at nominal cost, thereby ensuring the widest possible distribution not only for the programming but the advertising. The advertisers then became the network's primary clients and, because of the wider distribution brought by the growing network, Paley was able to charge more for the ad time. Affiliates were required to carry programming offered by the network for part of the broadcast day, receiving a portion of the network's take from advertising revenue. At other times in the broadcast day, affiliates were free to offer local programming and sell advertising time locally.

Paley's recognition of how to harness the potential reach of broadcasting was the key to his building CBS from a tiny chain of stations into what was eventually one of the world's dominant communication empires. During his prime, Paley was described as having an uncanny sense for popular taste, and exploited that taste to build the CBS network. As war clouds darkened Europe in the late 1930s, Paley recognized Americans' desire for news coverage of the coming war and built the CBS news division into a dominant force just as he had built the network's entertainment division previously.

CBS expanded into TV and early through Paley's strong, some would say ruthless, maneuvering rode the post-World War II boom in that medium to pass NBC, which had dominated radio. Paley became the best-known executive in network television, personifying the control and vision which marked the industry through its heyday of the 1980s.

Paley was respected not only for building CBS into an entertainment powerhouse, but for also encouraging the development of a news division that went on to dominate broadcast journalism for decades.

"Bill Paley erected two towers of power, one for entertainment and one for news", 60 Minutes creator Don Hewitt said in his autobiography Tell Me A Story. "And he decreed that there would be no bridge between them...In short, Paley was the guy who put Frank Sinatra and Edward R. Murrow on the radio and 60 Minutes on television.

The relationship between Paley and his news staff was not always smooth. Paley's friendship with Ed Murrow — one of the leading lights in the CBS news division and by then a vice president — suffered during the 1950s over the hard-hitting tone of the Murrow-hosted See It Now series. The implication was that the network's sponsors were uneasy about some of the controversial topics of the series, leading to Paley worrying about lost revenue to the network as well as unwelcome scrutiny during the era of McCarthyism. In fact, See It Now lost its Alcoa sponsorship in 1955 and eventually its weekly Tuesday time slot, though it continued as a series of specials until 1958.

In 1972, Paley ordered the shortening of a second installment of a two-part CBS Evening News series on Watergate — after he was contacted by Charles Colson, an aide to President Richard M. Nixon. And later, Paley briefly ordered the banishment of instant analysis by his news people following Presidential addresses.

CBS was bought by Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1995, and by Viacom Inc. in 2000.

In the 1940s, William Paley and Dr. Leon Levy formed Jaclyn Stable, that owned and raced a string of thoroughbred race horses.

Paley sold the New York Yankees in 1973 to Cleveland shipbuilder George Steinbrenner and a group of investors. Acting on behalf of CBS, Paley sold the team at its low ebb for $8.7 million. In April, 2006 Forbes Magazine estimated that the Yankees were worth $1.26 billion. To be fair, it was also under CBS stewardship (from 1964 onward), that the dominant Bronx Bombers fell into mediocrity, not making the playoffs during that stretch.

Paley had an avid interest in modern art and built up an outstanding collection. He became a trustee of the Rockefeller family's Museum of Modern Art in the 1930s; in 1962 he was tapped by then chaiman David Rockefeller to be its president. In 1968 he joined a syndicate with Rockefeller and others to buy six Picassos for the Museum from the notable Gertrude Stein collection. He subsequently became chairman, stepping down from the Museum in 1985.[1]

Paley died of kidney failure on October 26, 1990. He was 89.

Born February 25, 1908 in Los Angeles as Dorothy Hart, only child of Seth and Dorothy Jones Hart, she attended Marlboro School in LA, followed by one year at Bennett College. She was passionate about art.

At 18, she met William Randolph Hearst, Jr., and married him in New York in 1927. While her husband's professional advancement stalled, and he started drinking, she took a job with Harper’s Bazaar, and became quite successful. In 1931, Bill Paley met her and fell in love. After getting a Las Vegas divorce, Dorothy married Paley in Kingman, Arizona on May 12, 1932.

Dorothy was socially well connected to help her husband introducing him to Roosevelt liberals. Her opinion counted: “I can’t believe he would have voted Democrat without me.”[2] She also became a fashion trendsetter through her work at Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and her social activities. Her knowledge of art influenced and refined Paley’s artistic tastes. When he started to get into collecting art, her direction were invaluable. During an art hunts in Paris, they were introduced to Matisse. Paley commissioned him to paint her, however, the painting was never completed, only charcoal sketches and drawings were made.[2]

Their main residence was the estate "Kiluna" in Manhasset where they frequently entertained. With later estrangement between Paley and her, and Paley pursuing other women, among them his next wife, Barbara Cushing, the couple got a divorce on July 24, 1947 in Reno, Nevada. Dorothy retained custody of their two adopted children, Jeffrey Paley and Hilary Paley. Her third and last marriage to stockbroker Walter Hirshon lasted seven years.[2] She died January 29, 1998 from the injuries of an automobile accident.

Paley married the divorced socialite and fashion icon Barbara "Babe" Cushing Mortimer on July 28, 1947. Paley and his second wife Babe, despite their success and social standing, were barred from country clubs on Long Island because he was Jewish. Instead, the Paleys built a summer home, "Kiluna North", on Squam Lake in New Hampshire and summered there for many years, routinely entertaining friends like Lucille Ball, Grace Kelly and David O. Selznick. The house was later donated to Dartmouth College and converted to use as a conference center.

They had two children, William Cushing Paley and Kate Cushing Paley.

Paley was a notorious ladies' man. His first marriage ended when a newspaper published the suicide note written to Paley by a girlfriend. He provided a stipend to former lover Louise Brooks for the rest of her life.

[edit] Honors

1. <LI id=_note-0>
^ MoMA and the Stein collection - see David Rockefeller, Memoirs, New York: Random House, 2002. (pp.450-58)
^ a b c Bedell Smith, Sally (1990). In All His Glory. The Life of William S. Paley. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 0-671-61735-4.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Paley"Categories: American television executives | American racehorse owners and breeders | American businesspeople | University of Pennsylvania alumni | Ukrainian-Americans | People from New York City | Jewish Americans | 1901 births | 1990 deaths

Thank You Bill, Please let me add that Prescott Bush was a trustee/board member of CBS for over 20 years. Dulles and Prescott were friends from the early thirties. Prescott BTW was one of the $$ backers of the FDR Liberty League coup plot. Dulles & Paley were very,very close....EXAMPLE ..did you get the jam? Maybe you and Clover (Dulles) can come over for Christmas.....Now a researcher was told by the private secrertary of Paley that DEMOH worked for Paley at a company called Shelter Rock (the namesake also of his Long Island estate- next to the PAYSON estate were GHWB was called by the Payson children as uncle GEORGIE). Per secretary = inside Shelter Rock was a private assassination group. Now the head lawyer for Paley in 1950s and most 60s latter became CEO of Viacom. Now this lawyers sister was on the phone with Bill Moyers (Bill at WH) and when on the phone the sister was at parade route meeting at Locke-Purnell- discusing parade route. She later was the founder (founder-Publisher) of MS magazine. Of course DEMOHs brother close to the DULLES family. DEMOH close to Prescott and GHW BUSH family. William CASEY was a Dulles operative and also close to the BUSH family . Casey went with CD Jackson to a BIRCHER rally at the Hollywood Bowl (summer 63) that curiously was also attended by AH Belo family member (big time JFK hater) Ted Dealey. As you might recall Bill the fellow who drew the Ambulance away from Dealey Plaza with a in quotes "seizure" worked for AH Belo.......thanks sg +++ The Bechtel family was part of FDR plot. Steve Bechtel and Dulles very ,very close. Now the ultra elite Bechtel Study group had Augustus Long of the Freeport Sulfur board. The Whitney's were the most important at Freeport and PALEY'S wife was related to the Whitneys. see PROBE MAGAZINE SERIES ON FREE PORT SULFUR and below info (PROBE connected SHAW & DAP to working with Freeport)

A new book just published by Author-House entitled "Friendly Fire on Holy Grounds-The Stockpile Conspiracy" by Ira Jesse Hemingway may add another piece to the puzzle to help expain why JFK was murdered.

The scandal over the Eisenhower Administation's handling of the Strategic Materials Stockpiles issue.

This is a synopsis supplied to me by the author.

Synopsis

This synopsis is for my non-fiction book, “Friendly Fire On Holy Grounds: The Stockpile Conspiracy”© the book is complete. I hold all rights to this story both fiction (Screen Play) and non-fiction.

Friendly Fire© chronicles the events that occurred from 1954 through 1972 concerning the cost of a critical material stockpile. It attempts to leave the reader with a clear understanding of a serious cover-up when President Kennedy attempted to remove the shroud of secrecy surrounding this event. All he wanted was financial account ability but instead he ended up dead.

I am not trying to persuade my audience but present facts that are not in the open market at this time pertaining to the assassination of an American President, John F. Kennedy. I leave it in the intellect of the audience to judge the facts.

Upon completion of my research and book, I became aware that a stockpile issue was very important to President Kennedy. He voiced his concerns many times between 1962 and 1963, up until his death. The Warren Commission did not look into the stockpile issue, as members of that commission were deeply involved with the creation of, the 13 billion dollar ruse. I will show that the only logical reason that these specific members were on the Warren Commission was to ensure that information concerning the stockpile was never raised nor released. This information led me to the next logical step, which meant that if in fact that was their duty to avoid the stockpile issue then they committed fraud by failing to disclose the facts. I was then able to uncover information that they committed fraud regardless of their true intentions, they knew about the stockpile.

At the onset of the Warren Commission Lyndon Baines Johnson and the director of the FBI J. Edgar Hoover agreed to obstruct justice by:

A) Meeting Johnson and discussing who should be on the commission and the flow of facts;

B) The announcement of the commission followed by the FBI director’s statement that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone;

C) Directed what the scope and duties of the Warren Commission were. He also directed the FBI to screen all information to the commission. If the Director of the FBI said a certain person did it then it was pretty much case closed.

Both Johnson and Richard Nixon were involved with the increase of the stockpile between 1954 and 1960. It would be elementary to deduct that the escalation of Vietnam had to do with the stockpile cover-up in the sense that billions more had been spent in Vietnam than the public knew.

From my many years of research and an audit conducted before the 1962 Senate Stockpile investigation gave a base for all the material in the stockpile. It was President Kennedy’s assumption that the members of the Eisenhower administration profited from the excessive spending on the stockpile. The profiting from the stockpile transactions was illegal and the methods by which the Eisenhower cabinet members used the stockpile were in violation of many laws. President Kennedy may not have fully realized that half of the material on the books did not exist.

The real reason that President Kennedy was murdered did not surface until 1972 when President Nixon wrote 4.2 billion dollars off the books. The facts will prove that Kennedy was going to use the information from the stockpile investigation, in 1964, to his political advantage in the Presidential elections. If the only thing that occurred were profiting from the stockpile, methods of buying and selling, it surely would not have been politically damaging, as it would be if the material were not purchased at all.

Jesse Hemingway ++++++++PLEASE let me add that one of the main players of this over stockpiling + looting of the Tax Payer was HANA Mining which at one point had as head lawyers and later big investors the DULLES brothers

see http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C0A961958260

Edited by Steven Gaal

Okay Mark, I'll bite. Start with Bill Paley.

I do a lot of my research at the Urban Archives at the Paley Library, Temple University, Philadelphia. There's also a Paley Library at Drexal, on the other side of town. I always thought it was named after William Paley, but I just learned it is the Samuel L. Paley, Bill Paley's pop, a Ukaranian Jew who made his first million in cigars. Where I don't know yet, but he then moved to Philadelphia and bought the radio station network to promote his cigars, and giving his kid a job.

Some Basic Background:

William S. Paley (September 28, 1901 in Chicago, IllinoisOctober 26, 1990 in New York, New York) was the chief executive who built CBS from a small radio network to one of the dominant radio and television network operation in America.

Paley's father Samuel, a Ukrainian Jewish immigrant, ran a cigar company and, as the company became increasingly successful, the new millionaire moved his family to Philadelphia in the early 1920s. William Paley studied at the University of Chicago and later the University of Pennsylvania's Wharton School of Finance and Commerce in expectation that he would take an increasingly active role running the family cigar business.

The younger Paley's career took a fateful turn in 1927 when his father and some business partners bought a struggling Philadelphia-based radio network of 16 stations called the Columbia Phonographic Broadcasting System. Samuel Paley's intention had been to use his acquisition as nothing more than a medium for advertising promoting the family's cigar business, which included the La Palina brand. Within a year, under William's leadership, cigar sales had more than doubled, and in 1928 the Paley family secured majority ownership of the network. Within a decade, Paley had expanded the network to 114 affiliate stations.

During World War II, Paley served in the psychological warfare branch in the Office of War Information under General Dwight Eisenhower and held the rank of colonel. It was while based in London during the war that Paley came to know and befriend Edward R. Murrow, CBS's head of European news.

Paley quickly grasped the earnings potential of radio, and recognized that good programming was the key to selling advertising time and, in turn, bringing in profits to the network and to affiliate owners. Before Paley, most businessmen viewed radio stations as standalone outlets — in other words, the broadcast equivalent of the local newspaper. The individual stations originally bought programming from the network and were thus considered the network's clients.

Paley changed broadcasting's business model, not only by being a genius at developing successful and lucrative programming, but by viewing the advertisers (sponsors) as the most significant element of the broadcasting equation. Paley provided network programming to affiliate stations at nominal cost, thereby ensuring the widest possible distribution not only for the programming but the advertising. The advertisers then became the network's primary clients and, because of the wider distribution brought by the growing network, Paley was able to charge more for the ad time. Affiliates were required to carry programming offered by the network for part of the broadcast day, receiving a portion of the network's take from advertising revenue. At other times in the broadcast day, affiliates were free to offer local programming and sell advertising time locally.

Paley's recognition of how to harness the potential reach of broadcasting was the key to his building CBS from a tiny chain of stations into what was eventually one of the world's dominant communication empires. During his prime, Paley was described as having an uncanny sense for popular taste, and exploited that taste to build the CBS network. As war clouds darkened Europe in the late 1930s, Paley recognized Americans' desire for news coverage of the coming war and built the CBS news division into a dominant force just as he had built the network's entertainment division previously.

CBS expanded into TV and early through Paley's strong, some would say ruthless, maneuvering rode the post-World War II boom in that medium to pass NBC, which had dominated radio. Paley became the best-known executive in network television, personifying the control and vision which marked the industry through its heyday of the 1980s.

Paley was respected not only for building CBS into an entertainment powerhouse, but for also encouraging the development of a news division that went on to dominate broadcast journalism for decades.

"Bill Paley erected two towers of power, one for entertainment and one for news", 60 Minutes creator Don Hewitt said in his autobiography Tell Me A Story. "And he decreed that there would be no bridge between them...In short, Paley was the guy who put Frank Sinatra and Edward R. Murrow on the radio and 60 Minutes on television.

The relationship between Paley and his news staff was not always smooth. Paley's friendship with Ed Murrow — one of the leading lights in the CBS news division and by then a vice president — suffered during the 1950s over the hard-hitting tone of the Murrow-hosted See It Now series. The implication was that the network's sponsors were uneasy about some of the controversial topics of the series, leading to Paley worrying about lost revenue to the network as well as unwelcome scrutiny during the era of McCarthyism. In fact, See It Now lost its Alcoa sponsorship in 1955 and eventually its weekly Tuesday time slot, though it continued as a series of specials until 1958.

In 1972, Paley ordered the shortening of a second installment of a two-part CBS Evening News series on Watergate — after he was contacted by Charles Colson, an aide to President Richard M. Nixon. And later, Paley briefly ordered the banishment of instant analysis by his news people following Presidential addresses.

CBS was bought by Westinghouse Electric Corporation in 1995, and by Viacom Inc. in 2000.

In the 1940s, William Paley and Dr. Leon Levy formed Jaclyn Stable, that owned and raced a string of thoroughbred race horses.

Paley sold the New York Yankees in 1973 to Cleveland shipbuilder George Steinbrenner and a group of investors. Acting on behalf of CBS, Paley sold the team at its low ebb for $8.7 million. In April, 2006 Forbes Magazine estimated that the Yankees were worth $1.26 billion. To be fair, it was also under CBS stewardship (from 1964 onward), that the dominant Bronx Bombers fell into mediocrity, not making the playoffs during that stretch.

Paley had an avid interest in modern art and built up an outstanding collection. He became a trustee of the Rockefeller family's Museum of Modern Art in the 1930s; in 1962 he was tapped by then chaiman David Rockefeller to be its president. In 1968 he joined a syndicate with Rockefeller and others to buy six Picassos for the Museum from the notable Gertrude Stein collection. He subsequently became chairman, stepping down from the Museum in 1985.[1]

Paley died of kidney failure on October 26, 1990. He was 89.

Born February 25, 1908 in Los Angeles as Dorothy Hart, only child of Seth and Dorothy Jones Hart, she attended Marlboro School in LA, followed by one year at Bennett College. She was passionate about art.

At 18, she met William Randolph Hearst, Jr., and married him in New York in 1927. While her husband's professional advancement stalled, and he started drinking, she took a job with Harper’s Bazaar, and became quite successful. In 1931, Bill Paley met her and fell in love. After getting a Las Vegas divorce, Dorothy married Paley in Kingman, Arizona on May 12, 1932.

Dorothy was socially well connected to help her husband introducing him to Roosevelt liberals. Her opinion counted: “I can’t believe he would have voted Democrat without me.”[2] She also became a fashion trendsetter through her work at Vogue, Harper's Bazaar, and her social activities. Her knowledge of art influenced and refined Paley’s artistic tastes. When he started to get into collecting art, her direction were invaluable. During an art hunts in Paris, they were introduced to Matisse. Paley commissioned him to paint her, however, the painting was never completed, only charcoal sketches and drawings were made.[2]

Their main residence was the estate "Kiluna" in Manhasset where they frequently entertained. With later estrangement between Paley and her, and Paley pursuing other women, among them his next wife, Barbara Cushing, the couple got a divorce on July 24, 1947 in Reno, Nevada. Dorothy retained custody of their two adopted children, Jeffrey Paley and Hilary Paley. Her third and last marriage to stockbroker Walter Hirshon lasted seven years.[2] She died January 29, 1998 from the injuries of an automobile accident.

Paley married the divorced socialite and fashion icon Barbara "Babe" Cushing Mortimer on July 28, 1947. Paley and his second wife Babe, despite their success and social standing, were barred from country clubs on Long Island because he was Jewish. Instead, the Paleys built a summer home, "Kiluna North", on Squam Lake in New Hampshire and summered there for many years, routinely entertaining friends like Lucille Ball, Grace Kelly and David O. Selznick. The house was later donated to Dartmouth College and converted to use as a conference center.

They had two children, William Cushing Paley and Kate Cushing Paley.

Paley was a notorious ladies' man. His first marriage ended when a newspaper published the suicide note written to Paley by a girlfriend. He provided a stipend to former lover Louise Brooks for the rest of her life.

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>

[edit] Honors

1. <LI id=_note-0>
^ MoMA and the Stein collection - see David Rockefeller, Memoirs, New York: Random House, 2002. (pp.450-58)
^ a b c Bedell Smith, Sally (1990). In All His Glory. The Life of William S. Paley. Simon and Schuster. ISBN 0-671-61735-4.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_S._Paley"Categories: American television executives | American racehorse owners and breeders | American businesspeople | University of Pennsylvania alumni | Ukrainian-Americans | People from New York City | Jewish Americans | 1901 births | 1990 deaths

Bill, I don't want to cause you embarrasment but that is a superb post.

Great profile of William Paley.

I hope we can build a profile of the main players in the media in '63. The reason, of course, is to help understand what made them so determined to bury the truth about JFK and, maybe, close in on who was behind the whole mess. Also, they seem to be the one relevant group yet to be fully analysed. For my part, I have to admit I'm starting almost from scratch and contributions like this are well appreciated. I hope this thread leads a long and productive life.

p.s. I visited the museum of Radio & TV on West 52nd in '98. Saw three episodes of old B&W TV shows for six bucks. Recommended. Good catalogue of old stuff with individual console setup for each visitor.

Thank You Bill, Please let me add that Prescott Bush was a trustee/board member of CBS for over 20 years. Dulles and Prescott were friends from the early thirties. Prescott BTW was one of the $$ backers of the FDR Liberty League coup plot. Dulles & Paley were very,very close....EXAMPLE ..did you get the jam? Maybe you and Clover (Dulles) can come over for Christmas.....Now a researcher was told by the private secrertary of Paley that DEMOH worked for Paley at a company called Shelter Rock (the namesake also of his Long Island estate- next to the PAYSON estate were GHWB was called by the Payson children as uncle GEORGIE). Per secretary = inside Shelter Rock was a private assassination group. Now the head lawyer for Paley in 1950s and most 60s latter became CEO of Viacom. Now this lawyers sister was on the phone with Bill Moyers (Bill at WH) and when on the phone the sister was at parade route meeting at Locke-Purnell- discusing parade route. She later was the founder (founder-Publisher) of MS magazine. Of course DEMOHs brother close to the DULLES family. DEMOH close to Prescott and GHW BUSH family. William CASEY was a Dulles operative and also close to the BUSH family . Casey went with CD Jackson to a BIRCHER rally at the Hollywood Bowl (summer 63) that curiously was also attended by AH Belo family member (big time JFK hater) Ted Dealey. As you might recall Bill the fellow who drew the Ambulance away from Dealey Plaza with a in quotes "seizure" worked for AH Belo.......thanks sg +++ The Bechtel family was part of FDR plot. Steve Bechtel and Dulles very ,very close. Now the ultra elite Bechtel Study group had Augustus Long of the Freeport Sulfur board. The Whitney's were the most important at Freeport and PALEY'S wife was related to the Whitneys. see PROBE MAGAZINE SERIES ON FREE PORT SULFUR and below info (PROBE connected SHAW & DAP to working with Freeport)

A new book just published by Author-House entitled "Friendly Fire on Holy Grounds-The Stockpile Conspiracy" by Ira Jesse Hemingway may add another piece to the puzzle to help expain why JFK was murdered.

The scandal over the Eisenhower Administation's handling of the Strategic Materials Stockpiles issue.

Synopsis

This synopsis is for my non-fiction book, “Friendly Fire On Holy Grounds: The Stockpile Conspiracy”© the book is complete. I hold all rights to this story both fiction (Screen Play) and non-fiction.

Friendly Fire© chronicles the events that occurred from 1954 through 1972 concerning the cost of a critical material stockpile. It attempts to leave the reader with a clear understanding of a serious cover-up when President Kennedy attempted to remove the shroud of secrecy surrounding this event. All he wanted was financial account ability but instead he ended up dead.

I am not trying to persuade my audience but present facts that are not in the open market at this time pertaining to the assassination of an American President, John F. Kennedy. I leave it in the intellect of the audience to judge the facts.

Upon completion of my research and book, I became aware that a stockpile issue was very important to President Kennedy. He voiced his concerns many times between 1962 and 1963, up until his death. The Warren Commission did not look into the stockpile issue, as members of that commission were deeply involved with the creation of, the 13 billion dollar ruse. I will show that the only logical reason that these specific members were on the Warren Commission was to ensure that information concerning the stockpile was never raised nor released. This information led me to the next logical step, which meant that if in fact that was their duty to avoid the stockpile issue then they committed fraud by failing to disclose the facts. I was then able to uncover information that they committed fraud regardless of their true intentions, they knew about the stockpile.

At the onset of the Warren Commission Lyndon Baines Johnson and the director of the FBI J. Edgar Hoover agreed to obstruct justice by:

A) Meeting Johnson and discussing who should be on the commission and the flow of facts;

:) The announcement of the commission followed by the FBI director’s statement that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone;

C) Directed what the scope and duties of the Warren Commission were. He also directed the FBI to screen all information to the commission. If the Director of the FBI said a certain person did it then it was pretty much case closed.

Both Johnson and Richard Nixon were involved with the increase of the stockpile between 1954 and 1960. It would be elementary to deduct that the escalation of Vietnam had to do with the stockpile cover-up in the sense that billions more had been spent in Vietnam than the public knew.

From my many years of research and an audit conducted before the 1962 Senate Stockpile investigation gave a base for all the material in the stockpile. It was President Kennedy’s assumption that the members of the Eisenhower administration profited from the excessive spending on the stockpile. The profiting from the stockpile transactions was illegal and the methods by which the Eisenhower cabinet members used the stockpile were in violation of many laws. President Kennedy may not have fully realized that half of the material on the books did not exist.

The real reason that President Kennedy was murdered did not surface until 1972 when President Nixon wrote 4.2 billion dollars off the books. The facts will prove that Kennedy was going to use the information from the stockpile investigation, in 1964, to his political advantage in the Presidential elections. If the only thing that occurred were profiting from the stockpile, methods of buying and selling, it surely would not have been politically damaging, as it would be if the material were not purchased at all.

Jesse Hemingway ++++++++PLEASE let me add that one of the main players of this over stockpiling + looting of the Tax Payer was HANA Mining which at one point had as head lawyers and later big investors the DULLES brothers

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ PLEASE LET ME ADD FOR I was told by a fellow site member to fillout/clarify some of my post ...so...

Ms. Magazine's first publisher was Elizabeth Forsling Harris, a CIA-connected PR executive who planned John Kennedy's Dallas motorcade route. This from http://www.savethemales.ca/180302.html

brother see link

http://webscript.princeton.edu/~paw/memori...lay.php?id=6288

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Kiluna estate had "TWO" names , see link ,also named for road Shelter Rock

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C0A961958260

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The main companies in stockpile plot where : Newmont,Hanna,Freeport and Falcon Bridge. The Cabot family controlled HANA (see Dulles brothers CABOT CONNECTION MY LINK above). The Cabots controlled Bell Helicopter through their First National Bank of Boston. Michael Paine is a Cabot on both sides of his family -thus he worked for his family (and thus has a Dulles connection). Ruth's dad worked for Nationwide Insurance ,which had Allen Dulles on the board. When you know that DEMOH's brother is close to the Dulles family and that DEMOH himself via Prescott is Connected to Dulles - you dont have to wonder why WC didnt go down this path.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For further visit the site below and read the LUCE post. FYI. Luce,Lovett, Augustus Long,Prescott Bush, GHWBush,Bundy brothers and many Cabot family members all Skull & Bones. Lovett sat on the board of Free Port Sulfur.

JFKresearch Assassination Forum

POST BELOW (PLESE VISIT site)

Luce, Lovett, et al, and Garrison's Invitation

THANKS SG

Edited by Steven Gaal

Synopsis

:) The announcement of the commission followed by the FBI director’s statement that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone;

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ PLEASE LET ME ADD FOR I was told by a fellow site member to fillout/clarify some of my post ...so...

Ms. Magazine's first publisher was Elizabeth Forsling Harris, a CIA-connected PR executive who planned John Kennedy's Dallas motorcade route. This from http://www.savethemales.ca/180302.html

brother see link

http://webscript.princeton.edu/~paw/memori...lay.php?id=6288

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Kiluna estate had "TWO" names , see link ,also named for road Shelter Rock

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C0A961958260

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The main companies in stockpile plot where : Newmont,Hanna,Freeport and Falcon Bridge. The Cabot family controlled HANA (see Dulles brothers CABOT CONNECTION MY LINK above). The Cabots controlled Bell Helicopter through their First National Bank of Boston. Michael Paine is a Cabot on both sides of his family -thus he worked for his family (and thus has a Dulles connection). Ruth's dad worked for Nationwide Insurance ,which had Allen Dulles on the board. When you know that DEMOH's brother is close to the Dulles family and that DEMOH himself via Prescott is Connected to Dulles - you dont have to wonder why WC didnt go down this path.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For further visit the site below and read the LUCE post. FYI. Luce,Lovett, Augustus Long,Prescott Bush, GHWBush,Bundy brothers and many Cabot family members all Skull & Bones. Lovett sat on the board of Free Port Sulfur.

JFKresearch Assassination Forum

POST BELOW (PLEASE VISIT site)

Luce, Lovett, et al, and Garrison's Invitation

THANKS SG

"The Kiluna estate had "TWO" names , see link ,also named for road Shelter Rock

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...752C0A961958260"

Steve, this link no longer works. It only takes you to the NYTimes Archives for the years 1851 - 2006

"Ms. Magazine's first publisher was Elizabeth Forsling Harris, a CIA-connected PR executive who planned John Kennedy's Dallas motorcade route. This from: http://www.savethemales.ca/180302.html"

O.K., now this one worked and so did the Princeton link above it. But, here are some interesting facts that appear in this link after I opened it.

"Steinem's personal relationships also belie her anti establishment pretensions. She had a nine-year relationship with Stanley Pottinger, a Nixon-Ford assistant attorney general, credited with stalling FBI investigations into the assassinations of Martin Luther King, and the ex-Chilean Foreign Minister Orlando Latelier. In the 1980's, she dated Henry Kissinger. For more details, see San Francisco researcher Dave Emory.

Our main misconception about the CIA is that it serves US interests. In fact, it has always been the instrument of a dynastic international banking and oil elite (Rothschild, Rockefeller, Morgan) coordinated by the Royal Institute for Internal Affairs in London and their US branch, the Council for Foreign Relations. It was established and peopled by blue bloods from the New York banking establishment and graduates of Yale University's secret pagan "Skull and Bones" society. Our current President, his father and grandfather fit this profile.

The agenda of this international cabal is to degrade the institutions and values of the United States in order to integrate it into a global state that it will direct through the United Nations. In its 1947 Founding Charter, the CIA is prohibited from engaging in domestic activities. However this has never stopped it from waging a psychological war on the American people. The domestic counterpart of the "Congress for Cultural Freedom" was the "American Committee for Cultural Freedom." Using foundations as conduits, the CIA controlled intellectual discourse in the 1950's and 1960's, and I believe continues to do so today. In "The Cultural Cold War," Francis Stonor Saunders estimates that a thousand books were produced under the imprint of a variety of commercial and university presses, with covert subsidies.

The CIA's "Project Mockingbird" involved the direct infiltration of the corporate media, a process that often included direct takeover of major news outlets. "By the early 1950's," writes Deborah Davis, in her book "Katherine the Great," the CIA owned respected members of the New York Times, Newsweek, CBS and other communication vehicles, plus stringers, four to six hundred in all." In 1982 the CIA admitted that reporters on the CIA payroll have acted as case officers to agents in the field. Philip Graham, publisher of the Washington Post, who ran the operation until his "suicide" in 1963, boasted that "you could get a journalist cheaper than a good call girl, for a couple of hundred dollars a month."

I was born in 1949. Idealists in my parent's generation were disillusioned when the Communist dream of universal brotherhood turned out to be a shill for a brutal despotism. My own generation may discover that our best instincts have also been manipulated and exploited. There is evidence that the 60's drug counter culture, the civil rights movement, and anti-war movement, like feminism, were CIA directed. For example, the CIA has admitted setting up the (National Student Association as a front in 1947 http://www.cia-on-campus.org/nsa/nsa2.html). In the early 1950's the NSA opposed the attempts of the House Un-American Activities Committee to root out Communist spies. According to Phil Agee Jr., NSA officers participated in the activities of SNCC, the militant civil rights group, and Students for a Democratic Society, a radical peace group.

According to Mark Riebling, the CIA also may have used Timothy Leary. Certainly the agency distributed LSD to Leary and other opinion makers in the 1960s. Leary made a generation of Americans turn away from active participation in society and seek fulfillment "within." In another example of the CIA's use of drugs to interfere in domestic politics, Gary Webb describes how in the 1980's, the CIA flooded Black ghettos with cocaine.

I won't attempt to analyze the CIA's motivation except to suggest what they have in common: They demoralized, alienated and divided Americans. The elite operates by fostering division and conflict in the world. Thus, we don't realize who the real enemy is. For the same reason, the CIA and elite foundations also fund the diversity and multicultural movements.

And, sure to guarantee the sheeple will keep chasing their own tails.

Thanks, for posting this, Steve.

MS Mauro, I have corrected the NY Times link. For the Newbies I am adding the Probe Magazine Links here. When reading the articles you will see the name Gus Long (this is Augusus Long). On the FreePort Board was a Regular Rockellers family member and then this group which are all (ALL) Skull & Bones related : Lovett, Augustus Long , Stillman Rockefeller family member ,Whitney family member. THANKS sg see link below

http://www.webcom.com/~lpease/collections/...en/freeport.htm

+++++++++++ CONNECTION TO JOCK HAY WHITNEY (big JFK hater) and Paley. Jock Hay Whitney main controller of FreePort was reported to have sat up all night (11.22/63) writing an article for his newpaper claming historical USA Presidential assassination was all a lone nut affair.....Well this man worth over 250 Million in 63 dollars IMHO probably probably had the article written days before..... see ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Sisters: Babe Mortimer Paley, Betsy Roosevelt Whitney, Minnie Astor Fosburgh : The Lives and Times of the Fabulous Cushing Sisters (Hardcover)

by David Grafton (Author)

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Although Boston patriarch Harvey Cushing was a famous neurosurgeon, the real business in his family was the securing of highly advantageous marriages for the social-climbing daughters, according to this bland, psychologically unrevealing and repetitious biography. Betsey made it to the White House as wife of FDR's son Jimmy Roosevelt, but her friendship with the president was bitterly resented by Jimmy and First Lady Eleanor; a happier and wealthier second marriage to Jock Whitney followed. Minnie disappointed her family when she divorced Vincent Astor and his fortune and later married homosexual artist James Fosburgh. Grafton ( Red, Hot and Rich ) recycles anecdotes told better by Sally Bedell Smith in her biography of Babe's husband and CBS founder Bill Paley, All His Glory . The book is larded with lists of celebrities, and their clothing and jewels, but falls short of explaining Minnie's purported lesbianism and alcoholism or "caring and generous" Babe's neglect of her children. Photos not seen by PW.

Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.

++++++++++++++++

With this deftly stylish account of the three sisters from Boston who made marrying well into a social art form, beautiful people insider Grafton ( Red, Hot, & Rich!: An Oral History of Cole Porter , LJ 5/1/87) has created a sizzler. The Cushings became tastemakers who created the glitterati, setting standards for elegance as they presided over the transformation of the Cafe Society into the Jet Set. Participants have told their stories in other venues (Slim Keith's Slim: Memories of a Rich and Imperfect Life , S. & S., 1990; Brooke Astor's Footprints: An Autobiography , LJ 8/80; and Truman Capote's Music for Chameleons , LJ 8/80), but Grafton renders with feeling the betrayals experienced by the women who became role models for a generation and "expressed values for people who needed to believe in fairy tales." Glamorous and irresistible, The Sisters is every bit as fabulous as its subject matter and is highly recommended for libraries interested in social and cultural history and biography.

- Susan E. Parker, Harvard Law Sch. Lib.

Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Edited by Steven Gaal

PLEASE LET ME FINISH WITH THIS . Paley's Father-in Law ,Cushing, had a special relationship with the Skull & Bones Society. SEE

http://www.alterinfos.org/spip.php?article184. To be complete =Jock Hay Whitney's father and grandfather were Skull & Bones and Jock Hay and Cushing were part of the other YALE Secret Society - Scroll & Key. THANKS sg

==============================

Its all in the family ,NO ? boy the way Glen Miller Played, Songs that made the Hit Parade, gee.. Guys like us we had it made....those were the days...A CBS PRODUCTION

Edited by Steven Gaal

Hi Steve:

I take it you are finished, ? if not just go around...

Here is some info I posted in July 05, on this book.."Friendly Fire on Holy Grounds-The Stockpile Conspiracy" by Ira Jesse Hemingway....

It may be of interest to some here..

Synopsis from author.......

""This synopsis is for my non-fiction book, “Friendly Fire On Holy Grounds: The Stockpile Conspiracy”© the book is complete. I hold all rights to this story both fiction (Screen Play) and non-fiction.

The announcement of the commission followed by the FBI director’s statement that Lee Harvey Oswald acted alone;

The real reason that President Kennedy was murdered did not surface until 1972 when President Nixon wrote 4.2 billion dollars off the books. The facts will prove that Kennedy was going to use the information from the stockpile investigation, in 1964, to his political advantage in the Presidential elections. If the only thing that occurred were profiting from the stockpile, methods of buying and selling, it surely would not have been politically damaging, as it would be if the material were not purchased at all.""

Some bits from the book.....

That would be the Falconbridge Nickel Mines,of Toronto...They were being paid

a 50 percent premium over market price...for nickel that was not needed...

but had a ten year contract with the US government...in 58 that was changed to a three year contract...The Gov had contracts with Falconbridge,Hanna Nickel,and Harvey Aluminum..that were supplying uneeded nickel...( many other Companies involved re other materials.)

They reduced the need of stockpile from five years to three years, and that made for a 40% cut...But the spending on the stockpile did not decrease accordingly..apparently, in 57...LBJ as a Senator, tried to make it more difficult for the people to find out anything concerning the stockpiles...

The investigation did find out that two members of Ikes Cabinet and one Ambassador, were involved within the mining concerns...George M. Humphrey former Sec. of the Treasury..with Hanna Mining...John Hay Whitney, former Ambassador to Britain..for Freeport Sulpher...Robert B.Anderson...former Sec of Defense...Sec. of the Navy, and Sec. of Treas..for Falconbridge ....

There were three men on the WC, that in some way had connections to the men involved in the stockpile conspiracy......Allen Dulle's brother, John Foster....

Sen. Richard Russell...and Gerald Ford....

LBJ, Richard Nixon, Russell, Alan Dulles,John J. McCloy, and some others would have been politically destroyed if JFK had survived...as they were all connected...in some ways...(the fox was in the hen house...)

There are many other companies mentioned re the information to all this ..... the stockpile stayed consistant from 61 to 68 in spite of much being sold off...the covert used the stockpiles to move funds to Indochina...and left a money trail to the NSC...the laws were violated...as the materials were diverted from the stockpile to friends of the Ike Cabinet..this implicated Russell and LBJ..

The reason a stockpile was created was so that in the event of a war, there would be enough strategic materials on hand hopefully to last on a 5 year basis ..

they include rubber and vegetable tannins, metals, such as aluminum, antimony,cobalt,lead,magnesium,tin and zinc...

Minerals and ores, asbestos,bauxite,chromium,diamonds, mercury,mica,titanium,tungsten,iodine...

chromite,quartz crystal...

The Government placed surplus, Gov.owned minerals in the stockpile after WW11.

The Argricultural Act in 54....created the third stockpile..the supplimental...

it contained strategic and critical materials purchased with foreign currency obtained from the sale of supplus food...commodities..

The Billions of dollars mentioned in this book, are shuddering...

J.F.K..

"This Administration has taken steps to halt any new acquisitions to the stockpile with the exception of three items, still critically short, and on which we have spent less than 2 million dollars. Unfortunately, the surplus of other materials is still growing, as the result of contracts negotiated prior to this Administration's taking office.

It was apparent to me that this excessive storage of costly materials was a questionable burden on public funds, and in addition a potential source of excessive and unconscionable profits.

Last spring a detailed check was ordered, and our information to date has convinced me that a thorough investigation is warranted. The cloak of secrecy which has surrounded this program may have been justified originally to conceal our shortages, but this is no longer the case, and secrecy now is only an invitation to mismanagement.

I have therefore discussed this matter with Senator Symington, Chairman of the Senate Stockpiling Subcommittee. He agrees that the program should be completely explored, and without delay. I have assured him that we will make available to his Subcommittee all the material we have already discovered, and that the Executive Branch will cooperate fully with any investigation.

In the meantime, I have directed the various departments and agencies to accelerate their review of materiel requirements. And I am appointing a commission to make a detailed review of our stockpiling policies, programs and goals, in the light of changed defense strategy and improved technology.

I am very much aware of the intricate and interrelated problems involved in this area, including the difficulties experienced by certain domestic mineral industries, the impact on world markets, and the heavy reliance of certain countries on producing one or more of these minerals. And I can say that we will take no action which will disrupt commodity prices.

All of these factors, in a careful review of the program, will be taken into account, but the cold facts on this matter must be open to the public."

http://www.jfklibrary.org/Search.htm?q=sto...2&btnG.y=11

"QUESTION: Mr. President, almost precisely a year ago, President Eisenhower in his farewell address, discussed the influence of the military-industrial alliance in the Defense spending program. I wonder, sir, if in your first year in office you have developed similar concern for this problem?

THE PRESIDENT: I think that President Eisenhower commented on a matter which deserves continuing attention, by the President and also by the Secretary of Defense. It gets to be a great vested interest in expenditures because of the employment that is involved and all the rest, and that's one of the struggles which he had and which we have, and I think his warning or his words were well taken."

JFK,Indonesia,CIA and Freeport Sulphur

http://www.webcom.com/~lpease/collections/...en/freeport.htm

B......

Edited by Bernice Moore

Steve,

I've never heard of the Strategic Stockpiles issue but it does sound interesting. That JFK made specific references to the issue makes this issue very interesting, imo.

Some of the connections cited swirled over my head, to be honest. I'll need to read the book to get a grounding on it--I hope it gets published, but I gather from Bernice's post there seems to be a delay.

And we're only up to Paley.

p.s. who is DEMOH?

Edited by Mark Stapleton

DEMOH is considered the common abbreviation for George DeMohrenshildt. DEMOH had six volumes of his own address books when he died. They were done in multi-year sections. From this we can deduce that DEMOH knew BUSH family from before 1950. Researcher Bruce Adamson found that DEMOH came to a a school in 1941 visiting GHWB roommate there (before he,GHWB,- went off to WAR). It isnt know if GHWB met DEMOH at this time. DEMOH had GHWB listed by the name nickname "POPPY" in one of the volumes,this indicates they were close, few knew him by this nickname.++++++++++================================++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ Adamson has a letter from Brown Brothers Harriman (BBH) to the CIA Trust building ,Republic National Bank (of Dallas), asking about the credit worthiness of DEMOH. (BTW that its a CIA trust building was reported in LA Times/Houston Post). This said letter ,Adamson reports, is in connection to a $250,000.00 (1963 Money) "loan" from BBH to DEMOH. Now lets look at the time line. Prescott Bush leaves Senate Jan 63 and becomes head of BBH in April 63. DEMOH leaves from Dallas and is in New York by MAY . New York is the the HDQ of BBH. DEMOH get $$ from BBH. Then DEMOH goes on to Wash DC to start his CIA Haiti adventure. It isnt clear,from what is know about DEMOH that he ever had the cash to payback said loan. +++++++ Two directors of the Dallas Republic National Bank Building were Charles Meyer (of Allen Dulles connected United Fruit) and Lewis MacNaughton whose personal accountant BOUHE became for a time the TAXI service/babysitter for Marina Oswald and family. BOUHE was reported to have known Ruby. ++++Post assassination the 63 city manager of Dalles went to work for Dallas Republic National Bank Building (DRNBB). DEMOH had for many years a office in the DRNBB and GHWB worked at a subsidiary of Dressor Industries -ZYDECO - also out of the DRNBB. Yes there was a overlap of DEMOH and GHWB working out of said building -DRNBB. thanks sg MARK's Thread that started talk about City Manager of Dallas 63 visit

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/index.ph...c=9610&st=0 see post # 2

Edited by Steven Gaal

• 2 weeks later...

It seems that William S. Paley's CBS network was very active in maintaining the myth of the Warren Commission in the early years. I am currently reading Mark Lane's 'A Citizen's Dissent' and this book discloses, among other things, the very pro-active role played by CBS in those early years. From pp 75-76:

CBS presented "The Warren Report" (it's four part doco) on four consecutive evenings beginning Sunday, June 25, 1967. In a press release dated June 13, the network referred to its broadcastst as 'unprecedented'. Very likely the programs were dissimilar in length and expense from any that had gone before but the conclusion offered was not unlike that submitted by CBS more than two and a half years earlier. On Sunday evening, September 27, 1964, the very day the Warren Commission was issued, CBS presented its first Warren Report documentary. The program was comprised of carefully edited interviews designed to provide support for the Commissions conclusions.

Emile de Antonio and I had agreed to make a film documentary to fill in many of the gaps created by the publicly available material. His previous film, 'Point of Order', which dealt with the Army-McCarthy hearings, had been constructed entirely out of film from the CBS kinescope archives, and the agreement that permitted the production made de Antonio and CBS partners in the venture. In the spring of 1966, soon after he and I had returned from interviewing witnesses in Dallas for the film 'Rush to Judgement', de Antonio spoke with the CBS film librarian who offered to make out takes from the September 1964 CBS program available to us. Of course, we were quite pleased that material previously unavailable might now be examined. The librarian explained that since the employees at CBS were unavailable for screening the footage for us during office hours, the viewing sessions would have to be held during the evening hours. We agreed, and an appointment was made for the late afternoon, with the understanding that the session would last for several hours.

De Antonio had been in the film business for some time and I had been in New York politics for a while. I think, however, that life had not adequately prepared us for that moment. The out-takes--the portion of the filmed interviews which were not shown to the public--revealed the technique that CBS had employed in making its first documentary.......

The next morning de Antonio called the CBS library to to arrange for another appointment to view additional footage. The first evening we had examined approximately five hours of what appeared to be some seventy hours of film. The librarian told de Antonio that a terrible mistake had been made. CBS would not sell any of the footage to us, in fact, CBS was soon going to destroy the film.....It's decision was final and nothere was no appeal from it.

Nevertheless, de Antonio wrote to the appropriate CBS executive, explaining that the obliteration of that film, some of it unique, would be the destruction of the raw material of history.....CBS was in the truth-gathering business, and surely no news medium could eradicate the facts, could make them unavailable. The executive replied that he was sorry but CBS could not make the film available.

What had de Antonio and I glimpsed that evening that evidently caused the network to reverse its policy within 24 hours? .....The documentary was apparently constructed by experts in the entertainment business as if it were a fiction program. By way of contrast, in Sweden, when a film documentary was produced on the same subject, it was directed by a leading historian and professor of historical methods at the University of Stockholm.

CBS evidently began with a script......The script was that Oswald was the lone assassin. Many hours of interviews were filmed, some with important witnesses. When a witness said something which challenged the script, that portion of the interview was snipped away and thus turned into an out-take. If a witness said, for example, that he heard the shots and at the time believed they had come from the knoll, the interview might be halted and then begun again. What was said during the respite has not been recorded and remains as much an enigma as the Commission's all too frequent 'off the record' discussions. When the filming resumed, the witness might say that, while at the time he thought the shots may have originated from the knoll area, he now believed that the evidence showed that the shots came from the Book Depository. When asked to repeat his conclusion as to where the shots originated, he might say, 'well, from the Book Depository'. CBS would then present just that last fragment of the interviewee's answer.

Time prevents me from presenting more from Lane's book at the moment, but there's plenty more.

It's a pity Bill Paley isn't alive today, because he got plenty of 'splaining to do.