The Education Forum

Ted Shackley autobiography

At the bookstore today I saw a new (2005) autobiography by the late Ted Shackley titled SPYMASTER. It looked like it might have some good information (disinformation?).

Yesterday I purchased a copy of Richard Bissell's "Reflections of a Cold War Warrior". I am sure it includes a lot of disinformation. However, I think books like this are useful to the researcher. If you know enough about what they are writing about, you can work out when they are lying. This in itself can give you clues to help you discover the "truth".

At the bookstore today I saw a new (2005) autobiography by the late Ted Shackley titled SPYMASTER. It looked like it might have some good information (disinformation?).

Yesterday I purchased a copy of Richard Bissell's "Reflections of a Cold War Warrior". I am sure it includes a lot of disinformation. However, I think books like this are useful to the researcher. If you know enough about what they are writing about, you can work out when they are lying. This in itself can give you clues to help you discover the "truth".

Absolutely, John. Some of the books most envaluable to understanding our recent history were written by men with an agenda, e.g. LBJ, Nixon. Once you understand the terrain, you can understand the men by what they avoid saying, or how they rationalize their behavior. I have this fantasy of constructing a history of the post WWII western world entirely from quotes from the autobiographies of famous men, and government reports. The conservative historians couldn't argue with it; at the same time, it could be devastating.

To put Richard Helms' words side by side with the Church Report, or Nixon's words side by side with the Watergate Report, would reveal the men to be the self-serving liars we always knew they were. As for Bissell's book, he comes across as fairly credible, IMO. His take on Barnes is particularly interesting.

Edited by Pat Speer