The Education Forum

The (Second?) Rifle

A little off topic but I think the American "standard" for Sniper rifles is/was the M1903 which has recently seen service in Afghanistan. If I were a "real" marine sniper I'd pick a real rifle not a "carbine" such as the Marcano. I happen to own a Springfield and it's an accurate weapon.

From a military standpoint the sniper nest in the TSBD was a fiasco. My top 10 reasons:

3) A "real" sniper would never poke his (or her - sorry ladies) weapon out the window. That's like saying "Hi! I'm up here!".

Let's just focus in on one of the ten. Needs to be put in the "it was obviously a frame job" list.

A little off topic but I think the American "standard" for Sniper rifles is/was the M1903 which has recently seen service in Afghanistan. If I were a "real" marine sniper I'd pick a real rifle not a "carbine" such as the Marcano. I happen to own a Springfield and it's an accurate weapon.

From a military standpoint the sniper nest in the TSBD was a fiasco. My top 10 reasons:

1) The sight was not zeroed to the weapon (I'm shocked that this detail didn't bring the LHO theory to a crashing halt)

Let's go through them one at a time.

James,

According to the photos available definitely not the DPD rifle. I wonder how this ties in with the rifle theories and photos of the other rifles around.

Hi Antti,

Here is a shot of the DPD rifle.

Interesting side note to this photograph is the identikit image on the far right. Who on earth is that supposed to be of?

James

Could you re-post the picture you referenced in this posting back in 2004?

If it's the picture I am thinking of, I have my own suspicions.

Steve Thomas