The Education Forum

The Warren Commission

John Simkin

Gerald

Nice to see you here. If you recall from our emails a year or so ago I to believe in the Nuclear angle playing into the assassination but for different reasons.

I personally believe that McCloy knew this card would be played to provide a legitimate reason for the coverup of the truth behind the assassination. In other words it was this "nuclear" ace in the hole that was the trump card which brought everyone into line within the intelligence communities.

I still believe that Oswald's trip to the Soviet Union was manipulated by intelligence organizations, perhaps on both sides of the Iron Curtain and that this was known by those in the highest echelons of government covert operations. In addition I will continue to suggest that it was McCloy who held the keys to the doors behind which this information still remains locked.

Jim Root

Isn't it possible that LBJ was providing an alibi for the cover-up? He probably feared that the story of the cover-up would eventually get out. What better motive could he have that he saved the world from a nuclear war? However, it is based on the idea that the Soviets would launch a nuclear attack if the US invaded Cuba. The Soviet Union would never have done that and LBJ knew it. LBJ knew that if he blamed Castro for the assassination and launched an attack on Cuba, the international community would have demanded to see the evidence. Any full investigation would have exposed the role that the CIA had played in the assassination. I suspect information about LBJ's corruption would also have come out during any real investigation. It was therefore in LBJ's interest for the lone-gunman theory to be accepted.

I see you have a point on LBJ. My sense of the dynamics as they existed immediate post 11/22/63 that Lyndon was hearing from the FBI about a Oswald imposter in Mexico City, etc.... And he was getting an earful about Oswald as a Castro and possible KGB source from McCone via Helms and those CIA knuckle-dragers like Des Fitzgerald along with the unalloyed support for any opportunity to execute SAC's pre-emtive nuclear strike on the Soviet Union, etc. Recall that in 1963 it was SAC and not the president that controlled our nuclear arsenal. The post-1962 Cuban missile crisis introduction of Permissible Action Links giving the president the keys to control of all warheads had not been introduced as of yet. LBJ did'nt know whether he had control over the military and CIA. This was the situation that existed with Kennedy as well.

It would have been easy for Johnson to have let the CIA settle its grudge fight with Castro by going along with the myth of Oswald's Red connections and special asset of the Castro government. Of course if the US went ahead in Cuba the Russians would certainly have had to respond in some fashion. The most likely response would have been for Khruschev to move against West Germany. . . . .The rest would have been end of story of the world.

I think LBJ "bought off" the JCS by giving them their head in Vietnam ("Rolling Thunder" to begin) and he turned away from Cuba. (Of course the CIA continued its own unauthorized war against Castro).

Dave Talbot sets some of this out in most readable fashion in his "Brothers." There is a book due for release by Orbis Press by a James Douglass entitled "JFK and the Unspeakable." I did a little review of this book and I think Douglass does a solid job in laying out all the meta political force field surrounding LBJ as he assumed the presidency. Another excellent source that deals with these very dynamics is Peter Dale Scott's essays in his "Deep Politics II."

In any case that's my two cents. It's an essential (maybe existential) question about LBJ and what he faced over that two week period following Dallas. The more dialogue on the question the better.

As far as Goldberg (the resident historian w/ the Commission) I only mentioned sparingly. He had no significant influence on the Warren Report as far as I could determine. Warren or Rankin called on him to try and get the F BI to bolster Howard Brennan's description of Oswald as the man in the sniper's nest. Brennan, one of the Commission's most ludicrous and self-subverting witnesses, was the Commission's source of the description of the shooter that allegedly went out over the police radio.

Hoover in effect told Rankin to stuff his request. Hoover, miffed at the Commission, left the Commission hanging.,

It was this official story that allegedly prompted offikce Tippit to stop "Oswald" and was shot and killed for his troubles.

The long and short of it all was that Brennan could not have been the source for the police which left the Commission with an embarrassment. That was, the very likely explanation was that the police message re: Oswald's id,came from soneone who was in on putting Oswald in the frame.

My own research on Oswald's whereabouts convinces me that at the time of the JFK shooting hee was standing on the front steps of the Texas Depository. He is the man at the exrtreme left at the top of the front steps that we see in Altgeld's famous photo. Oswald in the man in the doorway, not Billy Lovelady.