The Education Forum

J. D. Tippit: Was he part of the conspiracy?

John Simkin

When I first met the late Larry Harris at one of the early ASK conferences in Dallas, he gave me this timeline, which he later elaborated on. - BK

12:35 pm – Oswald leaves the Book Depository, walks two blocks east, gets on a bus going back towards Dealey Plaza. The bus gets stuck in traffic, Oswald gets off bus (taking a transfer ticket). He walks to the Greyhound bus station, flags down a cab, but offers it to a little old lady who declines. He takes the cab to either 500 or 700 block of North Beckley, 3 to 5 blocks past his rooming house, and walks back.

I'm very confused. Did Oswald walk away from the TSBD, or ride away in the Nash Rambler, or is that unresolved?

Is Roger Craig the only one who claims that Oswald rode off in the Rambler, or is there other evidence as well?

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_i...sue/rcraig.html

http://davesjfk.com/rambler.html

"Author and researcher Penn Jones Jr. briefly reviewed the episode in his 1969 paperback Forgive My Grief III. On page twenty nine, Jones asserted, "Craig insisted from the day of the assassination that he saw Oswald race down the grassy area and get into a station wagon like the one owned by Mrs. Ruth Paine of Irving." Curiously this important allegation, that the Paine vehicle might have been used in the assassination, lay dormant until Jones published the story."

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I first met the late Larry Harris at one of the early ASK conferences in Dallas, he gave me this timeline, which he later elaborated on. - BK

12:35 pm – Oswald leaves the Book Depository, walks two blocks east, gets on a bus going back towards Dealey Plaza. The bus gets stuck in traffic, Oswald gets off bus (taking a transfer ticket). He walks to the Greyhound bus station, flags down a cab, but offers it to a little old lady who declines. He takes the cab to either 500 or 700 block of North Beckley, 3 to 5 blocks past his rooming house, and walks back.

I'm very confused. Did Oswald walk away from the TSBD, or ride away in the Nash Rambler, or is that unresolved?

Is Roger Craig the only one who claims that Oswald rode off in the Rambler, or is there other evidence as well?

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_i...sue/rcraig.html

http://davesjfk.com/rambler.html

"Author and researcher Penn Jones Jr. briefly reviewed the episode in his 1969 paperback Forgive My Grief III. On page twenty nine, Jones asserted, "Craig insisted from the day of the assassination that he saw Oswald race down the grassy area and get into a station wagon like the one owned by Mrs. Ruth Paine of Irving." Curiously this important allegation, that the Paine vehicle might have been used in the assassination, lay dormant until Jones published the story."

Hi Myra,

I don't want to confuse anyone anymore than we already are, but the official Warren Report version of events is as above, and LRH, with LHO walking east from TSBD, catching a bus going in opposite direction, encountering his former landlady Mary Bledsoe, getting off the bus and catching a cab three to five blocks past his rooming house in Oak Cliff.

Roger Craig saw someone run down the knoll and get into a Rambler station wagon, so now you are following two different people, both of whom can't be LHO.

In the first, official situation, LHO is said to have followed intelligence/espionage tradecraft by doubling back over his intended route three times, including, if you believe Dale Meyers, at 10th and Patton.

As for following the Rambler, that will take you in a different, but equally interesting direction.

There are those who want to speculate and confuse, and those who want to take on what is known for sure and take it further, and both trails lead to the real assassins, though speculation and confusion run rampant.

BK

LHO is said to have followed intelligence/espionage tradecraft by doubling back over his intended route three times,

Thanks BK.

That tradecraft, and LHO's possible adherence to it, is new to me.

Always good to have one more little piece of the puzzle.

I'd like to get this thread back on track, and discuss the murder of Dallas policeman J.D. Tippit.

Isn't there a thead discussing John Armstrong's work Harvy & Lee?

I don't think it is a question of whether J.D. Tippit was part of a conspiracy as much as whether his murder was connected to the assassination of JFK.

If so, further investigation of the Tippit murder would lead to a further resolution of the assassination.

BK

I don't think it is a question of whether J.D. Tippit was part of a conspiracy as much as whether his murder was connected to the assassination of JFK.

If so, further investigation of the Tippit murder would lead to a further resolution of the assassination.

BK

Well there is some reason why Tippie was one of the few cops, if not the only cop, not dispatched to Dealey Plaza that day.

That fact alone makes it seem like he was being set up.

I also find it interesting that Ruby is quoted as having jumped up and said "I know him! I know him!" after hearing about Tippit's death on the radio. It implies to me that Tippit wasn't in on the plot, though I realize it's not exactly rock solid evidence.

BK

Well there is some reason why Tippie was one of the few cops, if not the only cop, not dispatched to Dealey Plaza that day.

I also find it interesting that Ruby is quoted as having jumped up and said "I know him! I know him!" after hearing about Tippit's death on the radio. It implies to me that Tippit wasn't in on the plot, though I realize it's not exactly rock solid evidence.

Myra,

I think it has been established that Ruby knew a different Tippit.

Nor did I understand how Tippit was being "set up" just because he wasn't dispatched to DP.

Is it possible to evaluate the Tippit murder without speculating? I don't know.

BK

BK

Myra,

Nor did I understand how Tippit was being "set up" just because he wasn't dispatched to DP.

BK

I don't know, either. There was a lot of conflicting eyewitness evidence, some physical evidence and a host of unanswered questions.

Incidentally Bill, Armstrong devoted a chapter to Tippit's murder and it's worth reading.

BK

I'm not convinced that has been established Bill.

For example, quoting from post #126 in this thread:

"QUOTE(James Richards @ Aug 29 2006, 10:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In an interview with Chicago attorney Elmer Gertz (who was part of the legal team which won the reversal of the death sentence given to Ruby in 1964), Bernard Gavzer wrote that when Ruby was asked about knowing Tippit, he said, "First of all, there were three Tippits in the police department. The one who was shot I never knew, never heard of. One of the other Tippits I knew."

FWIW.

James

On December 5, 1963, during a telephone interview, Ruby's sister Eva Grant told the New York Herald Tribune that: "Jack knew [Officer Tippit] and I knew him.... Jack called him "buddy." [i've read a single reference, though I cannot currently recall where, that among Tippit's nicknames was "Buddy," giving the Eva Grant quote a slightly different connotation than was inferred by the writer.]

On the same date, Eva Grant told the Boston Globe that: "Jack knew J.D. Tippit - I knew him too. He used to come into both the Vegas Club and the Carousel Club many times. He was a fine man."

Needless to say, Eva Grant's appearance before the Warren Commission saw her saying something else, in order that the Commission could conclude there was no evidence Tippit and Ruby knew each other. To wit:

"Speculation.--Ruby's sister, Mrs. Eva Grant, said that Ruby and Tippit were "like two brothers."

Commission finding.--Mrs. Grant has denied ever making this statement or any statement like it, saying it was untrue and without foundation. Ruby was acquainted with another Dallas policeman named Tippit, but this was G. M. Tippit of the special services bureau of the department, not the Tippit who was killed."

How did Eva Grant recant what she'd told several reporters some months earlier? By confusing the issue by naming all the DPD cops who had a similar name:

Mr. Burleson: Do you know whether or not Jack knew Officer J. D. Tippit?

Mrs. Grant: He said he knew a Tippit but it's like me there was a Tipton, a Tippit, and a Tipin (spelling) p-i-n, and a Tipton, and as far as I was concerned, even when Payton was talking to me, they were all the same man, until much later I found out there are three Tippits, there is a Tipton and a Tipin.

This non-denial response served to confuse more than explain. Unfortunately for Mrs. Grant's credibility, others recalled only too well precisely the same information she's earlier shared with news reporters, only to deny it to the Commission.

For example, here's what the FBI learned from Stella Coffman, Ruby's head waitress from 1948 to 1953 at the Silver Spur: "Officer Tippit had patrolled the area of the Silver Spur, which Jack used to own. He made numerous visits to the club and was a close friend of Jack's."

Here's what Larry Crafard, Ruby's Carousel Club gofer told the Commission about Ruby's response upon learning of Tippit's death: "Ruby said he knew Tippit, and Ruby referred to him by his first name, or a nickname, neither of which I can remember now. He said he knew him quite well. He was definitely referring to J.D. Tippit, the Dallas Police Officer who was shot on the day of the assassination."

Andrew Armstrong, the Carousel Club assistant manager and general factotum, was also present when Ruby learned of Tippit's death, and corroborated Crafard's account:

Mr. Hubert: Did you know Officer Tippit, the man that was shot by Oswald?

Mr. Armstrong: No, sir.

Mr. Hubert: Do you know whether Jack Ruby knew him?

Mr. Armstrong: He said that he knew Officer Tippit, but from what I gather later on--Mrs. Grant told me it was a different Officer Tippit that he knew. In other words, there was two officers that had the name of Tippit, from what I gather, and Jack said when the news was coming over the radio about the policeman being shot, that it was Officer Tippit; Jack jumped straight up and said, "I know him--I know him." Just like that.

From the foregoing, it seems clear that Ruby knew Tippit reasonably well. His sister told reporters that this was so. Stella Coffman, who'd worked for Ruby a decade earlier at the Silver Spur recalled seeing Tippit there and called him Ruby's "close friend." Ruby's contemporary employees said it was true by Ruby's own spontaneous admission [with Crafard accommodatingly specifying that it was "J.D." and no other Tippit]. Eva Grant's subsequent attempt to persuade Armstrong otherwise, and to obfuscate before the Commission, was a poor attempt to lock the barn door well after the horses had already bolted."

So it seems possible, to me at least, that the claim that Ruby knew a different officer with a similar name was spin/damage control/BS...

If it has been truly established that Ruby knew a different Tippit I'd be very interested. The Tippit question is a big and nebulous one, so any crumb of info is significant.

I don't know, either. There was a lot of conflicting eyewitness evidence,...

And a lot of the "conflicting eyewitness evidence" was from the same eyewitnesses changing their accounts.

In my mind, the fact of eyewitnesses changing their accounts increases the likelihood that they were pressured/threatened to do so, which increases the likelihood that the Tippit murder was related to the conspiracy to murder President Kennedy.

For example:

On January 24, 1964 Warren Reynolds, who saw the gunman running from the scene of Tippit's murder is shot in the head 2

days after telling the FBI the fleeing man was not Oswald. Since he is not robbed there is no obvious motive. Darrell Garner

is arrested for shooting Reynolds but Betty Mooney MacDonald, who worked for Ruby gives Garner an alibi. Reynolds recovers & is out of the hospital 3 weeks when, in late February, an attempt is allegedly made to kidnap his 10 year old daughter. He & his family receive phone threats. Reynolds, living in constant fear, now testifies to the WC that Oswald was the man he saw fleeing Tippit's shooting.

http://www.jfk-assassination.de/articles/deaths.php

http://karws.gso.uri.edu/JFK/the_critics/r...ns_Russell.html

The Tippit murder is hard to evaluate without speculating, by design.

Edited by Myra Bronstein

... I don't think it is a question of whether J.D. Tippit was part of a conspiracy as much as whether his murder was connected to the assassination of JFK.

Well there is some reason why Tippit was one of the few cops, if not the only cop, not dispatched to Dealey Plaza that day. That fact alone makes it seem like he was being set up.

Myra,

It is not true that Tippit was not the only cop not dispatched to DP; in fact, the only general call was to "all downtown units," which in fact resulted in all but a small handful of patrol districts responding to DP. None outside of downtown were specifically directed to DP.

The map below, adapted from a Commission Exhibit (don't have the reference offhand) shows who did and didn't respond downtown. As you can see from the yellow and red areas (those in white didn't apparently file reports, at least not that I'd found as of the time of putting the map together some years ago), most of Dallas was without police presence, the officers there assigned having responded to the "Signal 19" call.

post-3713-1204482440_thumb.jpg

That being the case, it raises the question why alone of all of those emptied districts, "central Oak Cliff" was singled out for an officer - Tippit - being assigned to that area. Why was there no call for someone to cover, say, patrol districts 24, 25, 43 and 44 to the north of downtown? Of all the districts that were "short of resources" (as Murray Jackson likes to explain it), why was Oak Cliff the only one that needed to have someone assigned special to it?

This is a particularly apropos question when one considers that there were two cops already in Oak Cliff: one, the regularly assigned officer W.D. Mentzel, who was the only on-duty patrol officer in the entire city of Dallas taking lunch during the motorcade, at the Luby's Cafeterial just down the street; and and another officer at least 10 miles from his regular patrol distict who radioed his location on "East Jefferson" - which is only in Oak Cliff - less than 30 seconds before Tippit was assigned to report to this "empty" district.

More interesting is that this second officer had been in his district earlier in the morning, and had last reported being in that district dealing with the aftermath of an accident. There were no further radio communications between him and dispatch until shortly after the shooting, when the dispatcher asked, "has anyone seen 56?" and to which there was no response. One wonders why dispatch is concerned at all about anyone "seeing" an officer who was assigned to a beat all the way out by Garland and Mesquite.

There is no response to that query. Several minutes later, 56 calls in to report that he is "out [of his car] for five [minutes]," at which point dispatch asks his location; he is on "East Jefferson," 56 says; dispatch responds "10-4," acknowledging the transmission and 56's location.

Thirty seconds later, JD Tippit is assigned to go to "central Oak Cliff," where 56 already is, according to his own transmission, which is acknowledge by the dispatcher! Tell us again how Oak Cliff is "short of resources" and why Tippit was needed there.

(56, incidentally, is not heard from the rest of the afternoon through 2:00 or so, does not participate in the manhunt for the cop-killer, and filed a report that he remained in his district to conduct "roadblocks.")

There is much more to the story than this but let us move on to Ray Carroll's inquiry:

The shooting (if not murder) of a second cop in the theater was supposed to be LHO's death sentence, but unfortunately (tho' not for Nick McDonald), it misfired ... while in another cop's grip.

Did McDonald invent the "misfire" to make himself look like a hero?

That inference could be drawn from the expert testimony of Cortland Cunningham.

Mr. EISENBERG. Now, Officer McDonald's statement that the primer of one round was dented on misfire: as far as you can tell, could this statement be confirmed?

Mr. CUNNINGHAM. No, sir; we found nothing to indicate that this weapon's firing pin had struck the primer of any of these cartridges.

I don't believe that McDonald - usually assigned to a patrol district adjacent to Mentzel's; I don't recall specifically which, but I'm thinking 94, a white area indicating that no report was filed regarding that officer's activities following the "Signal 19" call - was witting to his failed shooting (it would not be necessary that he be killed for LHO to be gunned down, tho' it would certainly seem preferable that he was, in case he recognized someone else's hand having held the gun), and it is indeed possible that the misfire was caused by the web of his hand between the thumb and index finger, as he'd related and, I believe, testified.

That the pistol did not misfire the "numerous times" that Cortland Cunningham personally fired it, and "at no time" he or others had attempted to fire it did it misfire, operating "excellently" and having fired "every time we have tried to fire it," does not prove that the weapon never misfired for any reason, such as the skin between McDonald's fingers keeping it from doing so. McDonald was not alone in testifying to the primer mark; it just happened to "grow out" by the time it got to the WC, it seems.

Interestingly, an officer who was behind Oswald during the scuffle in the theater was handcuffed during the melee, a point that Captain Westbrook - no fan of this officer's - recalled to the WC as "a funny thing" that happened, and which the officer himself has related, publicly and on film, more recently.

That self-same officer - sometimes described as looking like "a fireplug with legs" - inserted himself into the middle front seat of the police cruiser that transported Oswald downtown; one wonders why such a big guy would do that until you consider that the weapon was handed back to him by the officer who eventually possessed it and had it in the small of his back (and who drove said cruiser), whereupon the first officer manhandled it to the point of removing the shells from the gun, looking at each one of them, replacing them into the cylinder, and putting it in his pocket.

Might that maneuver have served to explain his fingerprints being on the weapon, which they would not have been had LHO drawn the gun from his pants and tried to shoot McDonald before McDonald pulled the gun from the hand that had it, put it out behind his own back, and had removed from his hand by another cop? Might it also have served to obliterate anyone else's fingerprints as well?

Two things are worthy of note in this regard: first, that the first officer had an opportunity to obtain the weapon from someone else while in the area of 10th and Patton, specifically at the Abundant Life Temple that he claims to have entered - alone - and come out of without searching, thereafter to lean against the "car" assigned to an officer whom he identified, but who was actually downtown on a three-wheeler arresting a drunk by some railroad tracks at the time.

The second thing is that, while Oswald was in the interrogation room in the custody of a uniformed officer - who testified that "I had [Oswald's] gun" with him in that room - the first officer had "Oswald's gun" with him elsewhere in the building. Two pistols attributed to Oswald? Great trick. The question remains where the other one went.

No, McDonald was just lucky. If he hadn't have been, there'd have been no reason for another cop - whom I believe to have been acting as a "lookout" for Tippit's arrival into Oak Cliff - to have to cajole Jack Ruby into shooting Oswald later that night in a parking lot, then marrying his girlfriend so she couldn't testify against him, if it ever came to that (which it hasn't).

"Speculation?" No, recorded evidence.

That the pistol did not misfire the "numerous times" that Cortland Cunningham personally fired it, and "at no time" he or others had attempted to fire it did it misfire, operating "excellently" and having fired "every time we have tried to fire it," does not prove that the weapon never misfired for any reason, such as the skin between McDonald's fingers it from doing so. McDonald was not alone in testifying to the primer mark; it just happened to "grow out" by the time it got to the WC, it seems.

Nick McDonald was an untruthful and unreliable witness, as Greg Parker has carefully demonstrated on this thread

http://educationforum.ipbhost.com/lofivers....php/t5961.html

“It would be possible for a person to interject his finger between the hammer and the cartridge, but the spring driving the hammer is a very strong one and the impact of the firing pin into a finger would be clearly felt. However, the cylinder and the trigger are interconnected and the trigger cannot be fully pulled back if the cylinder is grasped. Therefore, if Oswald had pulled on the trigger while McDonald was firmly grasping the cylinder, the revolver would not have fired, and if the gun was grabbed away at the same time the trigger would have snapped back with an audible sound." (here Greg is citing the Warren Report).

The commission therefore ruled out the possibility that McDonald had wedged any of his digits between the hammer and the cartridge on the grounds that the officer would have clearly felt such a powerful impact. Not only was there a lack of evidence at the hearings to suggest he felt such impact, there is also no evidence in the testimony of any officer that this jamming of a digit happened. The supposition that the click was the result of McDonald grabbing the cylinder was not taken up by McDonald himself when, in 1993, during a TV interview he was now stating he did in fact jam his hand between the hammer and the cylinder, and that the hammer did hit his hand.

So it is pretty clear what happened. McDonald claimed that Lee Oswald tried to shoot him, but the gun misfired. This was prominently cited by Henry Wade

on Sunday as clinching evidence that this man was guilty.

McDonald did not emerge a hero in the Warren Report, however.

FBI expert Cortland Cunningham, who had impressive credentials, dismissed McDonald's claim that the gun misfired. This gun was in PERFECT working order

when received by him.

So after reading and digesting the implications of the Warren Report McDonald eventually persuaded himself that the gun had not misfired, as he first believed. Instead, he must have jammed his hand into the breach, oblivious to the pain, to such an extent that he never mentioned it until some 20 years later. Nick McDonald was a legend in his own mind.

The misfire lie that misfired was not the only lie that Nick McDonald fired into this case in those early crucial moments. He also claimed that he heard Lee Oswald say

"IT's ALL OVER NOW"

At the time he supposedly uttered these words, he was surrounded by a half-dozen policemen and numerous other witnesses were within earshot. . Yet Nick McDonald was the only one who heard those amazing words. If McDonald's story was true, it would mean that Fritz &Co. were interviewing an entirely different person later that day.The person interviewed by Fritz & Co. gave every indication that, in his mind, this was only just beginning, whatever it was.

Buddy Walthers was intimately involved in the events of 11/22/63, the following document deals not only with the activities mentioned in the document title, but also regarding the Tippit murder, but perhaps more interestingly his account of the JFK suspect in the balcony of the Texas Theater.

The document is fairly large, and should add an important component to this thread......

ALLEGATIONS IN BOOK "THE RED ROSES OF DALLAS," BY NERIN E. GUN, TO THE EFFECT “BUDDY” WALTHERS OF DALLAS COUNTY SHERRIFS OFFICE HAD STATED ONE SHOT IN THE ASSASSINATION FIRED FROM RAILWAY OVERPASS AND THAT FOURTH BULLET FOUND BY HIM AND SECRET SERVICE AGENT

IN GRASS NEAR BRIDGE

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...amp;relPageId=1

Below are some selected excerpts:

“.......At about this time word was passed through the crowd that the President had been shot, as well as Governor Connally. The only building that was likely to have a shot fired from in this area was the Texas School Book Depository Building on the northwest corner of Elm and Houston Streets, which, by this time was fast becoming surrounded by police officers. Upon returning to the front of this building I was met by Allen Sweatt, Chief Criminal Deputy of the Dallas Sheriff’s office and immediately escorted 5 witnesses to the shooting, which he turned over to me and took them to Sheriff Decker’s office and placed them in the custody of Deputy Harold Elkins until they could be questioned. At this time Deputy Allen Sweatt told me that a police officer had been killed somewhere in Oak Cliff on Jefferson Street. I immediately left the office with Deputies J.C. Ramsey and Deputy Frank Vrla and ran code 3 to Oak Cliff. I recieved information by radio that there was a suspect in the Dallas Public Library located at Marsalis and Jefferson. Upon arriving at this location we were met by a number of other police officers, and we surrounded the library. It was then determined that the person inside the library was the wrong person.

Upon getting back into our automobile, we started toward 10th Street, where the police officer had been killed, in order to obtain further information and then received radio information from Deputy Bill Courson, who was also in the Oak Cliff area, that the suspect was in the balcony of the Texas Theater on West Jefferson. We arrived at this location within a few seconds and were met by many other officers

Upon proceeding to the balcony of the theater, I ordered the manager of the theater to turn on the house lights. Some unknown officer was holding a white man at the steps of the balcony. I proceeded on into the balcony. I looked over the balcony a saw a commotion in the center section........

.........Mrs. Payne gave us permission to search the house or do anything we wanted to, and she also through interpretation, gave us Mrs. Oswald’s permission to do the same. Mrs. Payne then gave us a telephone number and stated that was the telephone number of Lee Oswald, however, she advised she did not know an address where he was staying.

At this time, I called Sheriff Decker and informed him of this and he criss-crossed this telephone number and gave us an address of 1026 N. Beckley. He advised that he would dispatch other officers to cover this address.......

Regarding interesting items found

........Also found was a set of metal file cabinets with the names and activities of Cuban sympathizers......

.........Concerning the claim made by GUN in his book “The Red Roses of Dallas,” that WALTHERS stated that the shots, or at least one of the shots, fired in the assassination of President Kennedy were fired from the railroad overpass in front of the President’s motorcade, WALTHERS stated he never made any such statement.”