The Education Forum

neato quote from Peter Dale Scott

Just wanted to post this well written quote by Peter Dale Scott, 'cause I liked it:

"Nixon's flurry of activity the week of November 15 to 22, 1963, during which he worked so intently on behalf of his rich and powerful political allies in Dallas, would seem to have been quite memorable to him; and even more so given the fact that the week ended with the world shattering assassination (in that very city) of the man to whom he lost the U.S. presidency three years earlier by the closest margin in American history. After all, even those who were children (including this author) have remembered that day with unusual clarity for their entire lives. But for Kennedy's historic rival, Richard Nixon, that seems not to be the case. Only three months after the assassination, Nixon did not remember that he was in Dallas almost up until the time of the assassination; despite the fact that during this incredible lapse of memory, he did remember being invited to Dallas in April 1963; he did remember that the purpose of that trip "never materialized"; and he did remember not giving any consideration to going (CE 1973, 23 H 831). And despite remembering these details, Nixon called his memory of this invitation vague. Most unusual of all is that the story of the invitation was completely false."

Bartholomew continues:

...who was the source of this falsehood? It turns out that it was started on February 19, 1964 by Maurice Carlson of Reliance Life and Accident Insurance (23 H 414, 416); a man described by the FBI as "a close friend of Richard Nixon" (23 H 414). The chairman of Mr. Carlson's insurance company was a man named James H. Bond, who was also with James Ling's Electro-Science Investors (and later with LTV - D.H Byrd). And we must not forget that the secretary of Mr. Carlson's insurance company was Henry Baer (formerly of the Wynne law firm which represented de Mohrenschildt, LTV, and GSW), the man who was at the Ford home on February 24 with Marina Oswald. The interesting thing about Mr. Baer being there that particular day is that it was the very next day that Maurice Carlson retracted his story about the Nixon invitation to Dallas.

Joining Carlson in the denial of his own story was Peter O'Donnell, the campaign manager for Robert H. Stewart's "very good friend" Senator John Tower. It is recalled that O'Donnell is also the man who sat on the Cuban Freedom Committee with Oveta Culp Hobby; was president of Harry Ransom friend Karl Hoblitzelle's Foundation; and who was a member of William F. Buckley, Jr.'s National Advisory Council of Young American's for Freedom with Robert Morris. Morris, it is recalled, was Otto Otepka's defense attorney, General Walker's attorney, H.L. Hunt's attorney, a John Bircher, and a Naval intelligence officer.
[me: egads, the whole place must have smelled like a sewer.]
Bartholomew continued:
Two days before Carlson's February 19 telling of the false story, Baer and McKenzie replaced Jim Martin as Marina's attorneys. The false story, had it been true, would have corroborated Marina's incredible 3 version "locked Lee Harvey Oswald in the bathroom the entire day to prevent him from shooting Nixon" story (22 H 596).
Unless something came along very quickly to back up this bizarre bathroom story, it could have cast doubt on all of Marina's testimony which was essentially all the Commission had to convince the public that Oswald was guilty. And more importantly, if Marina's bathroom story had been proved false, it could have implicated a number of people in its creation; including Henry Baer, William McKenzie, two FBI agents, and the Fords, who were all with her the day her story first changed to accommodate the facts about the door lock. It could have also implicated Carlson who withdrew his invitation story the very next day, and Robert Oswald who first reported Marina's bathroom story. The reason her story was not proved false was because Richard Nixon came to everyone's rescue by "vaguely" remembering the "invitation" on February 28, three days after the whole matter self-destructed.
Edited by Glenn Nall

thanks, David - my interests currently lie in the vast string of names connected to each other throughout this thing, how DH Byrd leads to Rostow and Robert Morris, who lead to the Paines, or to Nixon, etc. These connections are quite widespread, i'm seeing. I'm sure I'll find more support at prouty.org.

I'm eager to look into the people who end up being linked to Tippit...

thanks again

Richard Bartholomew - others in here will know more about him - i'm reading this very long article by him about the mysterious Rambler and many, many high level people:

http://www.acorn.net/jfkplace/09/fp.back_issues/17th_Issue/rambler1.html