The Education Forum

Question for Stephen Roy Re: 544 Camp Street

Greetings Stephen:

I am trying to understand how the 544 Camp St. address came to be stamped on some of Oz's Lamont pamphlets, and would appreciate your help.

In a recent post on the Di Eugenio thread you write:

][/b]Oswald passed out some 1961 pamphlets by Corliss Lamont entitled "The Crime Against Cuba," some of which were stamped with the 544 Camp Street address, and some of which were from the first printing. (The pamphlet was in its fifth printing by 1963.) Jim wonders how Oswald could have received copies of the first printing in 1963; He notes that CIA's Library openly purchased 45 copies of the pamphlet in 1961 for its reading room, and he theorizes that the CIA might have been the source of Oswald's pamphlets........

There is a clear paper trail showing where Oswald got the pamphlets. As you can see, on the upper left of the front cover are the words "Basic Pamphlets-14".

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?docId=1142&relPageId=810

In an undated lettter to the FPCC, Oswald asks for "40 or 50 more of the fine basic pamplets-14." Someone, presumably the FPCC, has circled the 50 and noted that the pamphlets were sent on April 19, 1963.

https://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/viewer/showDoc.do?absPageId=142073

In a later post you write:

Oswald asked in writing for those specific pamphlets, and the FPCC indicates that they sent him 50 copies.

How when and by whom did the Camp street address

come to be stamped on some pamphlets?

Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Michael beat me to it! That 544 Camp Street stamp is one of the enduring central mysteries of the case. I don't have a definitive answer. I presume Oswald stamped it. One train of thought, which Jim D. explores, involves the people who said Oswald was associated with the office (Banister's office).

Michael beat me to it! That 544 Camp Street stamp is one of the enduring central mysteries of the case. I don't have a definitive answer. I presume Oswald stamped it.

Thank you Stephen.

I take it that the actual stamp kit was never found in Oz's possessions?

Thanks to Michael Hogan for CE 115. I'm afraid I can't read the text on the stamp kit,

but I don't think it shows the Camp St. address?

One train of thought, which Jim D. explores, involves the people who said Oswald was associated with the office (Banister's office).

Yes, Jack Martin & Delphine Roberts come to mind,

but of course they are no one's idea of reliable,

and the other problem being that Bannister did not have an office at 544 Camp Street.

I just looked at an article by Dave Reitzes in which he speculates that Oz stamped the Camp St address

as a provocation to Bringuier, because Bringuier had previously had on office there.

Do you see anything that would confirm or refute that theory?

Again, thanks for your response, and good luck with your book

I take it that the actual stamp kit was never found in Oz's possessions?

A fine example of inductive reasoning, the likes of which have earned Raymond Carroll his reputation here.

In the event Mr. Carroll has never read Marina Oswald's WC testimony, here's a portion of it:

Mr. Thorne: Exhibit 115 is a box containing a stamping kit.

Mrs. Oswald: That is Lee's. When he was busy with his Cuba, he used it.

Mr. Rankin: You mean when he was working on the Fair Play for Cuba, he used this?

Mrs. Oswald: Yes.

Mr. Rankin: I offer in evidence Exhibit 115.

The Chairman: It may be admitted.

(The article referred to was marked Commission Exhibit No. 115, and received in evidence.)

Mr. Rankin: How did he use that kit in Exhibit 115 in connection with his Fair Play for Cuba campaign?

Mrs. Oswald: He had leaflets for which he assembled letters and printed his address.

Mr. Rankin: And he used this kit largely to stamp the address on the letters?

Mrs. Oswald: Not letters, but leaflets.

Mr. Rankin: He stamped the address on the leaflets?

Mrs. Oswald: Handbills, rather. Yes.

Getting back to the Stamp kit and Camp Street....

I did this collage and found it interesting... I would need a flyer with the CAMP street address stamped on it...

but it's obvious this kit did the work on Hideel and on HANDS OFF... I will need to look thru everything to find other places where Oswald may have used this Stamp Kit....

And is there any significane to JUN 8, 1963?

Cheers

DJ

and why put a PO Box onto a flyer that serves as an invitation for literature and lectures... that would be useless

post-1587-0-87537900-1355879553_thumb.jpg

Edited by David Josephs
no room left for more attachments

Yet the hand stamp on most of the flyers is a PO Box...

Why put a POB as a location to receive info and lit on FPC flyers other than to HIDE the real location,

which in turn leads to Oswald being on a mission...

Which mission is yet to be determined....

You get the feeling he was pushed and pulled, for and against by "handlers" he wasn't sure what he was doing and for who...

DJ

and why put a PO Box onto a flyer that serves as an invitation for literature and lectures... that would be useless

Could one of the ostensible motives of the FPCC masquerade perhaps be to entrap lefties in NO to send requests to join, so information could be gathered, spying and incrimination performed, etc?

Edited by David Andrews

The hand stamp is for the address.

Secondly, if you read Never Again by Weisberg you will see that it likely was not Oswald who actually picked these up.

Jim

According to the Jones' the flyers were picked up by Kerry Thornley?.

Ian

Could one of the ostensible motives of the FPCC masquerade perhaps be to entrap lefties in NO to send requests to join, so information could be gathered, spying and incrimination performed, etc?

Interesting thought David...

Did anyone ever check to see if any mail was ever delivered to the POBox in NO? and if so, what OTHER OSWALD mail if any was there?

DJ

The thing that really gets to me about RC is this:

He hides behind this "Oswald accuser" facade in order to attack Lane by creating an event that--I think we can agree--never happened.

Another stupid move Jim!

You surely don't want to be kicked out on your fat ass for violating the forum rule against calling a fellow member a xxxx.

But yet, Carroll wants us to imagine a world without the work of John Newman..

Another big fat lie.

Merry Christmas, Happy Honnukah and Happy New year to everyone

(except Jim D. and his miserable cohorts)

Another stupid move Jim!

You surely don't want to be kicked out on your fat ass for violating the forum rule against calling a fellow member a xxxx.

Another big fat lie.

Congratulations, Mike.

I can't believe you were smart enough to spot the humor.