The Education Forum

Jada Conforto and Jack Ruby

Pete Guarisco in Morgan City.......WCE 3005

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=146633

Another WCD on Pete Guarisco, mentions his friends, or acquaintances in Dallas...

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=328372

After the assassination.......

From DMN article - It Happened One Night of 12-4-63 [series on Dallas nightlife scene, social circles etc.,]

"Stripteaser JADA CONFORTO, friend of Jack Ruby visited 'This was Burlesque' and asked ANN CORIO for a job.

Ann said no." .....wonder why

More on ANN CORIO

http://www.maryferrell.org/mffweb/archive/...bsPageId=145479

There is quite a bit of info re Pete Guarisco, precious little on the other.

Thanks Robert, I agree with JWK that the Guarisco mentioned in the teletype is most probably a cop. A possible sighting of Ruby in Louisina on Nov 14 is interesting. I'd have to check if his whereabouts are adequately accounted for on that date. It is the date of the purported meeting with Weissman and Tippit.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hang on just a second here. Is there any information about Jada's Cadillac being stolen other than this teletype? I don't see anything on the teletype message saying it was stolen. What I see a teletype from one department to another requesting, or responding to, a request for information (including whether it's stolen or not) on her license plate. I see nothing that says it was stolen.

Here's how I read it:

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS = "This is Lousiana State Police, Baton Rouge, ??, Please"

9248 TWX 214-899-8553 1712 11-29-63 = "???, Telephone 214-899-8553 (a Dallas number), 5:12pm, 11-29-1963"

LSG BR = "???, Baton Rouge"

DATA AND STLEN LA LIC 914-985 = "Need (regarding?) information and if-stolen information for Lousania license plate #914-985"

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX = "Please call our phone number collect"

PD DALLAS HENRY ACK PLS GA = Dallas Police Department, Henry, Acknowledge Please, ???

LSP BR REC GUARISCO = "Lousaina State Police, Batron Rouge, ???, Guarisco (sender's name)

JWK

Thanks William. That's why one reason I thought it important for someone to decipher the message. Case closed on the "stolen car".

It's important to check everything out, to be sure. And just because her car wasn't stolen doesn't explain what she was doing in that neighborhood just hours before the motorcade was coming by. I'm sure it wasn't to visit someone at TI, and it's not on the way out of town or anything.

If someone has a 1963 Dallas city directory, they might want to see if there was a Cadillac dealer around the 6100 block of Lemmon Ave. Back in the late 70's, before it was torn down to make way for a new Home Depot, there was Eagle Lincoln-Mercury on that corner. They might have sold Cadillacs back then, and it might explain what she was doing there.

Or not.

JWK

The question on Jada and the accident was asked and answered last year in the Ruby Timeline thread in the seminars section.

Answer reposted here:

A Dallas Police memo dated Nov 28 was made of the incident.

On Wednesday, November 27th, Mr Bill Walsh, Personnel Director of Texas Instruments called and gave the following information:

On Friday, November 22nd at about 10:45 am one of their employees, Charles Burns ran across Atwell St to the entrance of Texas Instruments and was struck by a white Cadillac, Louisiana licence number 941985. Mr Burns was not injured sufficiently to call the police but the driver of the Cadillac, a woman who gave the name of Conforto or Comforto came to the office to use the telephone to call an unknown man who arrived in a few minutes to take Mr Burns to a doctor for examination. The woman driver of the car gave the impression of being in show business and stated to the man who came to get her, "Let's hurry up and get this over with, I have to get to New Orleans".

It is unknown whether this incident has any significance in the Oswald case.

Chas Batchelor

Assistant Chief of Police

Jada was not interviewed by the FBI until April 12th, 1964. That report (CE 1561) runs for six and half pages and does not mention this incident. All it does is create more question marks. It states, for instance: that as at late October, she had her three and a half year old son with her in Dallas. What happened to him, as there is no mention of a toddler with her at the accident scene? Who was the man she called from the Texas Intruments office to come and collect her and Burns?

**************** This Janet Confortos statement to the FBI is dated Dec.5/63...

and it also mentions that her son, was with her ex-sister in law....may help with your info...

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w...H23_CE_1561.pdf

B...

It also has this in regard to going to New Orleans:

Conforto, on November 25, 1963 was driving to New Orleans, Louisiana, and was about 100 miles outside of Dallas, Texas when she heard over the radio that Ruby had killed Lee Harvey Oswald. She became so upset that she returned to Dallas and then decided to come to New York.

If this is true, she obviously did not resume her trip on the morning of the 22nd. But would it have been humanly possible not to hear about the Oswald shooting until the day after it happened? I guess so, but how likely? Also, returning to Dallas after hearing that news, if true, tends to negate any notion she was fleeing on the 22nd through fear of what she knew was about to happen - unless that fear was only in regard to Ruby.

Just thinking out loud here... if going to NO from Dallas, would you need to go down Atwood? I have no idea what the answer is, but if that is not the way you'd go, why was she taking that detour? Burns was not seriously injured, which makes me think she was not exactly speeding. Pulling out from the curb, perhaps, after visiting someone in Texas Instruments?

The doc re the car being stolen in Californmia is in DPD archives folder 1 box 8 item 38. Repoduced below:

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS

9248 TWX 214-899-8553 1712 11-29-63

LSG BR

DATA AND STLEN LA LIC 914-985

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX

PD DALLAS HENRY ACK PLS GA

LSP BR REC GUARISCO

I can decipher some of this, but not all...

GA = Georgia

LA-Los Angeles

PLS=please

TWX=Texas West Exchange?

ACK=Acknowlwdge

GUARISCO= A surname

Any help on the rest is appreciated.

Also some questions. Why was Georgia in this loop? What was the problem anyway? The car was registered in Louisiana with license plate 914-985. So what if a Californian registered car with with the same numbers was stolen? Who is Guarisco?

I think it's also instructive to compare what's in the records with what John Armstrong wrote (assuming accurate transcription here i this thread from his book):

Time of accident:

DPD doc: 10:45am

Armstrong: Shortly after 12:00

Place:

DPD doc: Atwell St

Armstrong: Lemmon Ave

Injured Party:

DPD doc: Burns

Armstrong: Burnes

Company Burns/Burnes worked for:

DPD doc: Texas Instruments

Armstrong: Texas Estimates

Jada's phone call:

DPD doc: Made from the office of Texas Instruments for the purpose of arranging a lift to a medical clinic for Burns who did not appear seriously injured.

Armstrong:Call was made by Jada from clinic for her to be picked up

What Jada said before going to clinic with Burns:

DPD doc: Gave impression she was in show business

Armstrong: Told Security staff she worked at Carousel and that it would be closed that night

Who did Jada tell she was "in a hurry"?:

DPD doc: told man who arrived to take her and Burns to a doctor, "Let's hurry up and get this over with, I have to get to New Orleans".

Armstrong: Told "Texas Estimates" security staff "she was in a hurry to get to New Orleans.

Someone is telling porkies. Armstrong's flagrant misrepresentation of other evidence (eg NY school records) doesn't inspire much confidence that he's not the porker, but DPD isn't exactly a place renowned as a bastion of honesty, either.

Edited by Bernice Moore

The question on Jada and the accident was asked and answered last year in the Ruby Timeline thread in the seminars section.

Answer reposted here:

A Dallas Police memo dated Nov 28 was made of the incident.

On Wednesday, November 27th, Mr Bill Walsh, Personnel Director of Texas Instruments called and gave the following information:

On Friday, November 22nd at about 10:45 am one of their employees, Charles Burns ran across Atwell St to the entrance of Texas Instruments and was struck by a white Cadillac, Louisiana licence number 941985. Mr Burns was not injured sufficiently to call the police but the driver of the Cadillac, a woman who gave the name of Conforto or Comforto came to the office to use the telephone to call an unknown man who arrived in a few minutes to take Mr Burns to a doctor for examination. The woman driver of the car gave the impression of being in show business and stated to the man who came to get her, "Let's hurry up and get this over with, I have to get to New Orleans".

It is unknown whether this incident has any significance in the Oswald case.

Chas Batchelor

Assistant Chief of Police

Jada was not interviewed by the FBI until April 12th, 1964. That report (CE 1561) runs for six and half pages and does not mention this incident. All it does is create more question marks. It states, for instance: that as at late October, she had her three and a half year old son with her in Dallas. What happened to him, as there is no mention of a toddler with her at the accident scene? Who was the man she called from the Texas Intruments office to come and collect her and Burns?

**************** This Janet Confortos statement to the FBI is dated Dec.5/63...

and it also mentions that her son, was with her ex-sister in law....may help with your info...

http://www.aarclibrary.org/publib/jfk/wc/w...H23_CE_1561.pdf

B...

Thanks Bernice. I actually had seen this report before, but forgot about it. I guess the ex-sister-in-law picked the boy up before Jada left Dallas. This report gives the same date as the latter one for her aborted departure from Dallas - 11/25. Not that it matters, but I've received a message from Gary Mack insisting it was actually on 11/24. Neither report mentions the accident, even though the FBI must have known about it and her alleged statement about getting to Louisiana in a hurry. Maybe she just missed her son...

I think the only real mystery left here is why she was in the area that the accident occurred - and even that's just ephemera. She was not involved in any conspiracy. One or two other Ruby employees/strippers probably were to an unknown extent, however.

It also has this in regard to going to New Orleans:

Conforto, on November 25, 1963 was driving to New Orleans, Louisiana, and was about 100 miles outside of Dallas, Texas when she heard over the radio that Ruby had killed Lee Harvey Oswald. She became so upset that she returned to Dallas and then decided to come to New York.

If this is true, she obviously did not resume her trip on the morning of the 22nd. But would it have been humanly possible not to hear about the Oswald shooting until the day after it happened? I guess so, but how likely? Also, returning to Dallas after hearing that news, if true, tends to negate any notion she was fleeing on the 22nd through fear of what she knew was about to happen - unless that fear was only in regard to Ruby.

Just thinking out loud here... if going to NO from Dallas, would you need to go down Atwood? I have no idea what the answer is, but if that is not the way you'd go, why was she taking that detour? Burns was not seriously injured, which makes me think she was not exactly speeding. Pulling out from the curb, perhaps, after visiting someone in Texas Instruments?

The doc re the car being stolen in Californmia is in DPD archives folder 1 box 8 item 38. Repoduced below:

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS

LSG BR

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX

LSP BR REC GUARISCO

I can decipher some of this, but not all...

GA = Georgia

LA-Los Angeles

PLS=please

TWX=Texas West Exchange?

ACK=Acknowlwdge

GUARISCO= A surname

Any help on the rest is appreciated.

Also some questions. Why was Georgia in this loop? What was the problem anyway? The car was registered in Louisiana with license plate 914-985. So what if a Californian registered car with with the same numbers was stolen? Who is Guarisco?

I think it's also instructive to compare what's in the records with what John Armstrong wrote (assuming accurate transcription here i this thread from his book):

Time of accident:

DPD doc: 10:45am

Armstrong: Shortly after 12:00

Place:

DPD doc: Atwell St

Armstrong: Lemmon Ave

Injured Party:

DPD doc: Burns

Armstrong: Burnes

Company Burns/Burnes worked for:

DPD doc: Texas Instruments

Armstrong: Texas Estimates

Jada's phone call:

DPD doc: Made from the office of Texas Instruments for the purpose of arranging a lift to a medical clinic for Burns who did not appear seriously injured.

Armstrong:Call was made by Jada from clinic for her to be picked up

What Jada said before going to clinic with Burns:

DPD doc: Gave impression she was in show business

Armstrong: Told Security staff she worked at Carousel and that it would be closed that night

Who did Jada tell she was "in a hurry"?:

DPD doc: told man who arrived to take her and Burns to a doctor, "Let's hurry up and get this over with, I have to get to New Orleans".

Armstrong: Told "Texas Estimates" security staff "she was in a hurry to get to New Orleans.

Someone is telling porkies. Armstrong's flagrant misrepresentation of other evidence (eg NY school records) doesn't inspire much confidence that he's not the porker, but DPD isn't exactly a place renowned as a bastion of honesty, either.

• 6 years later...

JFKCountercoup2: Jada Hits TI Employee 10:50 AM 11/22/63

Jada Hits TI Employee 10:50 AM 11/22/63

At 10:50 AM on November 22, 1963, while driving her Cadillac in Dallas, Janet "Jada" Conforto hit a pedestrian - a Texas Instruments employee who was not injured seriously. Jada went in the TI building and called "Jack" asking him to come the scene to help her. A man in a new Cadillac arrived and took the injured man to a nearby medical clinic.

At the time, Jada was quoted as saying she was on her way to New Orleans and that "the club would be closed that night."

Although she had not worked at Jack Ruby's Carousel Club since early November, her remark was said to imply that Ruby's Carousel Club would not be open that night.

As expressed in the letter from TI official to FBI, and there might be a plausible explanation, how did Jada know before noon on the day of the assassination that Ruby's club would be closed that evening?

• 4 years later...
On 1/19/2007 at 4:36 PM, James Richards said:

Does anyone know if Jada (Janet Conforto) was related to Carlos Marcello associates Angelo and Jerome Conforto?

James

Yes. Janet married Joseph F Conforto, Jr. Angelo and Jerome were his brothers.

This took me back quite a few years *smile*

I used to use a twx machine on my job.

TWX stands for teletype exchange. It was a precurser to sending text messages over the phone line. It was so cool. Clunky, but cool back in those days. It was like dot matrix printer on steroids. It needed a separate phone line, so each machine had its own phone number. Individual locations on various networks each had their own unique abbreviated identifier, so you didn't have to type out the full name, so you'd have to know what the identifier BR stood for on that police-related network.

THIS IS LSP BR GA PLS

LSG BR

PLS CALL COLLECT OUR TWX

LSP BR REC GUARISCO

This looks like a request from the Louisiana State Police to Dallas for information on a stolen license plate 914-985, and they're asking Dallas to acknowledge and call them back collect.

Steve Thomas